• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Recommended iPhone cables from DC power source to phone?

Good afternoon! Do any of you have a preference to a source of iPhone cables that work well and might be more waterproof or fail proof over others?

iPhone cables are a replaceable commodity item. They all eventually go bad. IMHO the most common failure point is where the connector attaches to the cable- especially on cables with a shoddy strain relief. Check out reviews on Amazon and choose wisely.

The braided ones seem stiffer and more durable than the cheapo ones that come with the phone. Steve’s right about the connection joints failing. Try Dollar General or truck stops. I keep 3’ ones one the bike.

The braided ones seem stiffer and more durable than the cheapo ones that come with the phone.
Agreed on the braided ones, but they seem to absorb/retain moisture in the braid and I am unsure as to their IPX rating.

IPX rating being water resistance/ proofness rating. No telling. I tend to put my phone and charger away when it rains anyway.

IPX rating being water resistance/ proofness rating. No telling. I tend to put my phone and charger away when it rains anyway.
yep - mine stays in tankbag
my comment refers back to OP question.

I had a few failures for the reasons listed. I now put heat shrink tubing on the ends of my cables at the stress points. They haven’t failed me yet, and make it a bit easier to plug in. You can also color code them if needed.

I have a couple braided ones that have a 90 degree connector. With a 90 degree connector, you don’t have to bend the cable as much which hopefully reduces the fraying on the end. i beleive they were 3 ft cables. Got them on Amazon.

I purchased a Powerlet cable kit, running it from the battery through the tank bag - on my C14. On the Harley, I was able to purchase a waterproof cigarette to USB adapter (Optimate USB 0-106) from Amazon. Using a one foot braided cable to connect to my iPhone in Quadlock case. Been using it under rain, no issue.

I had a few failures for the reasons listed. I now put heat shrink tubing on the ends of my cables at the stress points. They haven’t failed me yet, and make it a bit easier to plug in. You can also color code them if needed.
Great idea! I need to do that.