• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Refurbish pegs question

angelo

Hi all.  Got some c10 rear pegs (thanks wizard!) for my wife on the c14.  Rubber in great shape looking to clean up the aluminum.  Was planning on a little sanding and some flat silver paint.  Getting to look pretty good naked with the wire brush in my drill. 

What says the group?  Just clean it up and leave naked or should there be a layer or two of paint to prevent future corrosion?  Out of my element here and appreciate all input.  Plan to keep the bike several more seasons.  $ for pro powder coating not an option. Naked or spray can. 

Paint them. Otherwise the ally turns white and crusty.
Spray with an ally etch primer first.
Then a few coats of silver.

buff em with a stainless steel wire wheel, nice and shiney... spray them with degreaser, and give them 2-3 coats of Krylon or Rustoleium silver spray paint... and they are done.. no prime needed if degreased, and you used a stainless wheel.

Thanks guys.  Bright and shiny with stainless brush wheel.  Will take next step tomorrow. Holding them side to side my wife was surprised how much wider they are. 

Read here that they did.  Direct replacement.  Looking at them, they are-- I believe.  Will paint and mount and report back if any problems.  But it looks good.  Other than mini floorboards, wide rubber padded c10 passenger pegs are as good as it gets. IMO

She said no need so just going to do this for now.  At 5'4" maybe 110lbs at most, its more about feeling more secure than anything else.  She knows lowering is an option if she wants.  2 up, I doubt we ride more than 2 hours at a time.

Nice.  Glad she likes them.  Last coat of paint on today.  Will install tomorrow and wait another month or two before we can test them.  ::)

Winter .....

As a follow up, if you do this you need the c10 mounting spring/brackets. I don't see how the c14 ball bearing set up would work on these.  Pegs work as they should.  Stay up until you push them down. Solid.

Thanks again to wizard for the pegs AND mounting brackets!!!