• Forum Subscribers and COG Members, please be aware of policy changes put into effect due to action of the COG board of directors based on input from members. The new membership system makes it possible to implement these changes.

Forum Subscribers – Forum Subscribers get a six-month limited feature trial forum membership. Forum Subscribers Read the Details Here.

Members – Your full forum access is only in effect while your membership status is active. Members Read the Details Here

• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• *READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Reintroduced Roadsmart II

connie_rider

Just returned from a ride in Arkansas with a RS-II on the back.
Was pretty impressed by the tire.
Actually, I was pretty very impressed by the tire {for the low $$ I spent for it!!}
Ordered another rear already...

Will install front soon.

Ride safe, Ted

jim snyder

connie_rider said:
Just returned from a ride in Arkansas with a RS-II on the back.
Was pretty impressed by the tire.
Actually, I was pretty very impressed by the tire {for the low $$ I spent for it!!}
Ordered another rear already...

Will install front soon.

Ride safe, Ted

I'll 2nd Teds comment. We checked his tire wear when we returned from some aggressive twisties and they showed no cupping as with many other brands. The tread grooves are spaced much further apart than any other tire I have seen. My Avon Spirit ST was feathered very badly running the same roads and tire pressure. Looks like the RS2 may be my next set as well. We are tough on tires when we go to Arkansas.

nickrides

Mini Bike
Forum Subscriber
I'm running a set of Roadsmarts 3's now
I'm going to get of set of the Roadsmart 2's and see how they go and what mileage, curious to see for myself

gpd323

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
I have run the RS 3's, all sorts of AVON's, Pirellis and etc.... My go to set has been the AVON Spirit St's but I just ordered a set of the Dunlop RS2's. Going to give them a try.

$163 shipped. I am going back to a 190 series rear tire this time after running a 195 for the last 10 sets or more.

YES, 190 55 verses the 50 series. Going back to the 50 series. Thanks for the correction

https://www.americanmototire.com/

No sales tax, I know thats coming to an end soon.

connie_rider

We're all assuming you mean your going to 190/50 vs 190/55?
I mail ordered mine thru Cycle gear.
  Cost a few $$ more, but they do the install for less money if you buy from them..

Update: Cycle gear is $79 for the rear, $67 for the front... (total $146)

Ride safe, Ted

Ogre_fl

Training Wheels
My bike has a recent set of the Bridgestones, not sure if they are the same as was stock, but I think so as the PO's dealer installed them.
I find that my bike requires a bit of effort to to initiate a turn and constant input to hold the line.

I am tempted to try a set of these due to cost, but was planning on trying tires in the 190/55 size to alleviate the turning efforts.

Those that have run these in the 190/50 size, how do they do as far as lighter steering/less input to hold a line?
Are they an improvement from stock?

JerBear

Those that have run these in the 190/50 size, how do they do as far as lighter steering/less input to hold a line?
Are they an improvement from stock?
[/quote]

Concrete tire would be an improvement from the stock tires.  I have a set with the 50 on the rear and I really like them so far but not too sure how long they will last.  I am pretty sedate when riding so if you really give her the beans you may not like them but for 160 bucks?  Give em a try I say!

Just Cliff

CaffeineMan said:
n3nman said:
Just bought a set from Bike Bandit for $146 total to my door.

What was the manufacture date on them?  I’m looking at that deal as well.

I have 3 sets on the shelf, all manufactured/dated in the second half of 2019.  :motonoises:

connie_rider

I have 2 sets that I ordered from Cycle gear. Same mfg dates as Cliff.
NOTE: I originally bought a set off their shelf.
          When I got home I discovered that the tire's {from the shelf} were 7 year's old.
          So, I took them back immediately and ordered new ones..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I went back a week or so later and the 7yr old tires were on the shelf again.
      So, I called the manager over, pointed them out and told him I thought it illegal to sell tires at that age. {?}
        He agreed with me and said they would be taken off the shelf.

SteveJ

connie_rider said:
I have 2 sets that I ordered from Cycle gear. Same mfg dates as Cliff.
NOTE: I originally bought a set off their shelf.
          When I got home I discovered that the tire were 7 year's old.
          Took them back immediately and ordered new ones..

Ride safe, Ted
Nice...

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
Well I ordered a couple sets from Bike Bandit.  I hope the manufacture dates are recent.  2 sets for the price of 1 set of RS3’s, which I have now and like.  Hard to resist.

lather

Just installed another RoadSmart II rear. The last one lasted 9200 miles. My average rear life is 6000. 

Motomaniac

Street Cruiser
CaffeineMan said:
Well I ordered a couple sets from Bike Bandit.  I hope the manufacture dates are recent.  2 sets for the price of 1 set of RS3’s, which I have now and like.  Hard to resist.

lather said:
Just installed another RoadSmart II rear. The last one lasted 9200 miles. My average rear life is 6000. 

Just bought my third pair in a row of the RS 2's yesterday. Got about 7500 miles on this set. Which is great for me..  :)  Been very good tires so sticking with them. Bought mine from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. They are a very good value too!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

connie_rider

I hate to admit this, but my Yankee Buddy {ZG/ZN Kim} is the one that started this discussion.
        Well done "Yankee"... Saaaaaalute!!

Ride safe, Ted

lather

Rusty said:
CaffeineMan said:

lather said:

Just bought my third pair in a row of the RS 2's yesterday. Got about 7500 miles on this set. Which is great for me..  :)  Been very good tires so sticking with them. Bought mine from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. They are a very good value too!

That is where I buy mine. I have not tried the front yet, still using Angel ST

Motomaniac

Street Cruiser
Just replaced my old RS 2's with a new set of them today! Ended up with 7800 miles! They were toast but were very good tires! Give them a try if you have not yet. I am very pleased with their performance and value!

gpd323

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
I also installed a new set of the RS2's for a trip in May. $164 shipped was a deal! Have a spare set also but had to pay tax this time. $179 to the door.

nickrides

Mini Bike
Forum Subscriber
Put 200 miles of twistys yesterday from Telluride Co to Gateway and back on my new RS2's.
Very nice tire, but then aren't all tires great when their new?
Gotta love the low price on these.
Nick

nickrides

Mini Bike
Forum Subscriber
I've got about 1500 miles now on those RS2's.
Very nice tire at any price.
Remarkably smooth on smooth asphalt
Nick

gpd323

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
I just scrubbed in this new set on a 50 mile ride yesterday. I went back to the 50 series. Speedo shows 2-3 mph faster than actual which is Ok by me. The 50 series is a bit less $$$ too.

My May trip is supposed to begin on the 13th, we will see. I called lodging in Oregon and CA a few weeks ago. I was told to call back on the 1st of May to be sure they will allow non-essential lodgers.

Friend left Puyallup WA and ended up in Enterprise OR for the night last week. He had zero issues with lodging. He was going into Idaho but was told he would have to 14 day quarantine when he entered ID so he came back home a few days later.  This site has no tax and free shipping.

https://www.americanmototire.com/

CaffeineMan

copdocpvd said:
Interesting...the Dunlop website doesn't list the RSII as recommended or optional tires:  https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tires-for-my-bike/results/?id=200697

I bought a set of RS2’s.

I have always found Dunlop’s website limited that way.  I like their tires but I think their site is more marketing than technical.  If the size is right and the load capacity is close I’m not going to worry about it.  It’s not even like this is a “Goldwing tires on a C10” situation.  The size is exact.

gpd323

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
CaffeineMan said:
copdocpvd said:
Interesting...the Dunlop website doesn't list the RSII as recommended or optional tires:  https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tires-for-my-bike/results/?id=200697

I bought a set of RS2’s.

I have always found Dunlop’s website limited that way.  I like their tires but I think their site is more marketing than technical.  If the size is right and the load capacity is close I’m not going to worry about it.  It’s not even like this is a “Goldwing tires on a C10” situation.  The size is exact.

My thoughts exactly!!!!  :beerchug:

ZG/ZN Kim

I started this thread last year  not knowing anything about the RS II. A friend of mine(Scootertrash) mentioned he really liked the old RS II front tire.
My riding got cut short late last summer, but I have managed to put 4000 miles on the tires, center of tire looks nearly new, shoulders 50% used up.  1500 of those miles on Arkansas "chip-seal"/Suches twisties. They are a good all around tire; stick and wear well, do not pick up rain grooves, no balancing weights required and reasonable price.  I have paid as low as $54/front tire from Dennis Kirk. I have a few pairs on the rack and look forward to using them up.
I think Rusty is spot on, 8000 miles a set should be attainable, with  abuse. It will be interesting how long they are available.
I will mention, I thought they were a bit tight when spooning on.

JerBear

I completely agree with you Kim as to the difficulty.  Per your amazing tutelage I tried to spoon these on (RS2) and it was a real bugger,  Clamps sweating and all!  I thought it was due to my inexperience but perhaps not?  No weights needed to balance and they ride smooth at about 165$ a pair shipped from RM ATV I'll stick with them but ill heat them up real good before next install.

gpd323

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
Leave tomorrow to Northern CA from Tacoma WA. 5 Days. Was going to be 9 days but sister in Santa Barbara says she is afraid of the CV19 so I am not going to stop to visit.

So Tacoma to Coos Bay, CB to Red Bluff, RB to Fortuna CA. FT back to CB and then home.

Whats really nice is my neighbor cut my hair yesterday, I mowed the lawn and the weather looks to be fantastic the whole way.

I was going next week but could have been riding in rain the entire trip.

Oh, and I have new Skivvies undergarments to try out.

I will let you know how the 2's do overall.

gpd323

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
So far so good the RS2's are doing well. I have currently 1000 miles on them the second day. I am currently in Red Bluff, just finished hwy 36 and at a good clip. Tires felt fine, like all the others brands I have used. Leave in the AM and ride 36 again, Leggetts and Willits hwy 20 and end up in Eureka CA tomorrow night. From there hwy 299 to Willow Creek, ride 96 to I5 for a bit before heading west to the coast again. I have had zero issues with handling and grip. But you can say that with any new tire. Cheers!!!!  :beerchug:

Motomaniac

Street Cruiser
A
gpd323 said:
So far so good the RS2's are doing well. I have currently 1000 miles on them the second day. I am currently in Red Bluff, just finished hwy 36 and at a good clip. Tires felt fine, like all the others brands I have used. Leave in the AM and ride 36 again, Leggetts and Willits hwy 20 and end up in Eureka CA tomorrow night. From there hwy 299 to Willow Creek, ride 96 to I5 for a bit before heading west to the coast again. I have had zero issues with handling and grip. But you can say that with any new tire. Cheers!!!!  :beerchug:

Attila and I just rode Highway 3 from Yreka to the 36 and then to Fortuna two days ago! Posted some pictures on Facebook! In the past I have ridden highway 299 too....WOW! All incredible roads and I had the RS 2's on and they ran perfectly! We ended up doing a Western Loop of about 3800 miles and the tires are still perfect! Ride safe going home!

gpd323

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
^^^^^ thanks, currently in Eureka for the night. Leave early and do 299 to Willow Creek, 96 to I5 for a bit then grab hwy 42 to the coast to Florence for tomorrow night.

From Florence Oregon its an easy 350+ mile day home. Mostly back roads if possible. So far liking the tires a lot and the budget price.

gpd323

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
1900 miles and home. Poured and hailed on me in Astoria Oregon. Wet traction is like all the other tires I have tried. Fine. Slightly squared off on the rear, I had to do more slabbing than normal this time so its expected, but still surprised since the low mileage. They are quite noisy tread wise especially the front tire in corners. Other than that.  :beerchug:

kzz1king

I see that these are available again. I ordered another rear, just in case. Hope I like em because I have 2 rears and a front now.

Scooter Trash

As (ZG/ZN Kim) stated, those RS II's are awesome front tires...easily my favorite tire of all time for the C14. My experience on the rears (three years ago) was not so good, they did stick like glue but wore fairly fast. I can't say it was the fault or the tire...it was treated very poorly! Fast forward to current, installed a rear 3,500 miles ago and treat it as good as I can with mixed riding. The tire is wearing as good as anything I have used in the past and appears to have another 3K left. Long story short...my new go to tires for the C14.  :)

nickrides

Mini Bike
Forum Subscriber
I just had to change out my Front RS2. Both sides wore completly out before the center. It looked like the center could have gone another maybe 1200- 1500 miles.
The front only went 4400 miles.
It seems in my case it is a dual compound tire and maybe the side rubber is Too soft.
The rear looks like it may go another 2k- Maybe
After these I think I'm going to go for some Michelins
Nick
2014 C-14

Motomaniac

Street Cruiser
Well I just replaced my third set of RS 2's with a new set! This time I put on 10,500 miles on front and rear tires and they were toast at the end. Now this set was used on a 6900 mile cross country tour in late June and ended at the beginning of this month. The tires are for the money just great! I think for all around riding they are very good. Do everything well and at $170.00 with tax for both tires are a fantastic value! Now if I did a lot of mountain riding like Nick above does in Colorado I know I would likely get mileage closer to what he got because I am pretty aggressive on the curves too. But lately I have been going on a number of trips and the tires handle the local highways and interstates very well and will reward you with excellent mileage even at high speed... :) Do not ask me why I know that...Anyway let's see how this new set does!

connie_rider

Disclaimer; I trailer to events and ride only while there, so all my riding is in the twisties.
{Because of that, I seldom get 5000 miles out of a set if tires. {In fact more like 3500-4000 is my norm}

We did the Colorado UnRally last week. I had a set of the RS-II's with about 2000 miles on them.
I decided to finish them off while there.
While there; We did 1500 miles of Mountain Roads.
ie; I put quite a bit of wear on the sides <evil grin>, but they lasted better than I had expected.
I feel that their good enough for another outing...
Bottom Line; Good tire. I plan to replace these with another set of RS-II's..

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:

nickrides

Mini Bike
Forum Subscriber
Hi Gents
Man this is a long thread now!
Just changed out my rear RS2.
Got 5,540 out of it, about average for me
I probably could have gone another 3-400 to totally shot
Changed it a fuzz early as I'm heading out on a Utah tour soon.
Good tires Especially for the $$
I give them a Like.
Nick
2014 C-14

CaffeineMan

Well I had my first real ride on my new RS2's.

1500 miles over 5 days during the SWCOG Devil's Cut ride on the Devil's Highway in AZ, together with some twisties on the way to and from. All in the dry. I'd call my riding medium-fast and for my riding, the RS2's performed as well as my previous RS3's.

I got about 5k out of the stock tires and 7k out of the RS3's, so if I get approximately the same mileage as the RS3's, these are winners at the price I paid, which was $150 for the set.