• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Reintroduced Roadsmart II

ZG/ZN Kim

I looked but could not find a thread on the "reintroduced" Dunlop Roadsmart II's. Sorry if I missed it.
When you can get a front tire for $60 and a rear for less than $100(Bike Bandit,Dennis Kirk), I am surprised there is not some chatter regarding them as POS's, or wow for the money not a bad tire. I have never ran RS II's but  reviews on the old tires were quite positive.
Once again sorry if I missed the thread

I guess I should of added the tire has been reformulated, but still is a dual compound. Below is a snippet from the Dunlop site

Sportmax Roadsmart II
-Designed to offer versatile Sport-Touring performance at an affordable price
-A re-emergence of the original RoadSmart II tread pattern with new compounds that balance performance and affordability
-Sportmax Roadsmart II is a more affordable alternative to the Roadsmart III
-Tread rubber compounds include silica to help deliver impressive performance in wet conditions and impressive mileage
-Tire profiles and construction provide nimble handling
-Provides linear and responsive handling
-Available in sizes to fit a wide variety of sport-touring and naked bikes.

I'm looking to buy some tires soon.
  Eating tires on this bike! {Has something to do with Arkansas and riding with you Nut's}

I tried to find some info on the Roadsmart II. Wasn't very successful either.
Not much in the Forum.
Found a little info in Bike Bandit.
Price looks great if they will handle the C-14's weight/mass.
Not available in the 190-55...

If you go this way, let me know what you think.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
  Eating tires on this bike! {Has something to do with Arkansas and riding with you Nut's}
Ride safe, Ted

And trailering to meets?!?    :-[  :nananana:    :rotflmao:

Love ya', Ted.

That's partially why I get so little mileage.
As I trailer* to the events, I don't accumulate miles cruising in "straight" lines.
Most of my riding is in the twisties with people like Kim.

{** Yes, I know I'm a sinner}..

Ride safe, Ted

Well, once I retire, I plan on getting a trailer myself. So, hopefully, future sinner here.  :great:  :beerchug:

Your forgiven. {kinda}

Just priced the Metzeler Interac Z8's.. (About $300 for a set)
    But they are offering a $40 rebate on a set.

NOTE: I see folks posting 4000-10,000+ miles on a set of tires.
          I'm wearing mine out in less than 4000 miles.             

Ride safe, Ted

The tires on my H/F Toter trailer look almost new, and I have over 6k miles on them... and they's small... and spin 4x more per mile.. go figure..
:beerchug: :rotflmao: :motonoises: :nananana: ;)

Now I better buy new ones... you'll jinx me...  :rotflmao:

Tex, Ted
You and Jim better start parking the trailer and unloading a few blocks from where ever you are staying, you are getting quite a reputation.
Well I am going to put a RS II on the front of my C14. I have a 5000 mile trip in early September, and yes part of it is in Arkansas.  2500 miles of slabbing, 2500 hard miles.
These tires have been out since spring, hard to believe no one has experience with them.

ZG/ZN Kim said:
Tex, Ted

These tires have been out since spring, hard to believe no one has experience with them.

Agreed. Looking forward to see how they work out for ya by the time we get to the Spider.

Ok, I'm convinced to consider them.  :-[
    Now, where is the best deal?

Rocky Mountain has them for $96.86 and $66.88..
  Oops, RM don't offer 190/55-17 ?
    {J&P Cycle does carry the 190/55-17 for $148.99 so they "are" made in this size}..

Thinking Kim's idea is worth trying...……
I don't mind paying more for better tires if they last longer and handle well.
Here's "The Rest of the Story"..
      On the OEM tires I wore both into the cords at 4300.
      Replaced with a PR-4 that lasted about 4500.
      On a whim; Hoping that less expensive tires would last a compatible amount and handle well, I tried Shinko 016 Verge II's and got about 3000 miles on the rear. Front about 4200 miles. No complaints with the handling.
    I then went to Avon 3D-XM's and they started wiggling at 2000 miles. {Avon replaced them with Spirits}
    I currently have those Avon Spirits on the bike.
          Front and Rear are worn out in 2476 miles. {I don't feel they handled as well as the Shinko's}
        NOTE: This time, I noticed the left side is worn considerably more than the right?
                          {Guess I like "left" turns more.  :motonoises: }

Ride safe, Tex Ted

PS: I know that tire wear is directly related to the twist of the wrist, who you ride with, where, and how.
      Bike is a 2014, ECU updated from OEM to Steve's original Flash to his MR and now to his MRP flash. 
          It has 2006 ZX-14 headers and dual Area P mufflers..
                                  >:D

Tex, Ted,

I am not suggesting these tires for you. These very well may be a classic case of you get what you pay for. Stay away until you see someone post some actual experience.
I will say though, the 120/70-17 RS II I purchased, has 3 plies on the tread, 1 steel, and 2 nylon which I found good. But  I still would like to hear from someone running them.

Road surfaces in various parts of the country have a huge impact on tire wear. Comparing Wisconsin to Arkansas, I would estimate the Wisconsin tire would get 30-40% more miles(e.g. 4000 vs 5500 miles), same riding style

Hey Kim and Ted.  Hope you gents are doing well. 

I have run at least a couple sets of the RS II's and have found them to be very good tires.  I am not the fastest guy in the corners but have felt they provided confident grip and in one set last year....wore all the tread off the rear tire from edge to edge. 

I am a little concerned about the "reformulated" version of the tire as I thought it was pretty darn good before.  I currently have a set on the bike and have apprx 4100mi on them.  Leave next week for the west coast and I am counting on them to get me back home.

I have not been terribly diligent about checking the site lately, so don't hesitate to give a shout if you want to visit about the tires.

Thanks Jack...
Unsure which way I'll go on this.
  But need to buy tires and like an less-expensive option if they handle well!

Ride safe, Ted

I put on two new RS 2's on my C14 before I left to go to the National from California. Put on over 7,000 miles on them going East and then coming home west! and they performed great! I now have over 8,000 miles on them and they still look good! I spent about $160.00 on both tires...great pricing. I would not hesitate on putting on two new ones when it comes time to replace them! Most miles I have put on tires in a very long time. Performed very well in the twisties! 

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Rusty said:
I put on two new RS 2's on my C14 before I left to go to the National from California. Put on over 7,000 miles on them going East and then coming home west! and they performed great! I now have over 8,000 miles on them and they still look good! I spent about $160.00 on both tires...great pricing. I would not hesitate on putting on two new ones when it comes time to replace them! Most miles I have put on tires in a very long time. Performed very well in the twisties! 

Just (bike)curious, what country are they made in?

Rusty said:

Thanks Russ. That's a report I can appreciate, as I've rode with you and know how you ride.
What size tire's did you install? Did you find them in a 190/55-17?
Now that you and Soda have reported, I think I've made my decision.

Ride safe, Ted

You have me interested now! For reference what kind of milage have you gotten out of the rear on other tires? Thanks
Wayne

Rusty said:

connie_rider said:
Unsure which way I'll go on this.
  But need to buy tires and like an less-expensive option if they handle well!

Ride safe, Ted

Hey Ted, the tires are cheap & you're cheap!  :nananana: Just order ya some.  :motonoises:

Mine are coming from American Moto Tire, this is where the wife buys most of my tires.  :??: $163.70 delivered. You can never have to many extra sets on the shelf.  :motonoises:

Yupp, I'm cheap..
  But unfortunately, my wife doesn't buy mine.
    & American Moto Tire doesn't have these in the 190/55-17..  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

Russ, thanks for the input. Can't go wrong with the price. I have spoken with a couple others now who are very positive on the RS II's.

Heck if Cliff and Ted and buying them, what could go wrong

I have gone through 2 sets of the these tires. I would say grip was just as good as the PR4s at about 80 % of the mileage but as you noted the cost is substantially less. I would recommend them. FYI I have 112 K on the bike so I have gone through a few tires.

connie_rider said:
Yupp, I'm cheap..
  But unfortunately, my wife doesn't buy mine.
    & American Moto Tire doesn't have these in the 190/55-17..  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

She does do all the leg work in searching best price, I ultimately pay for them. For some reason she likes me gone, therefore makes sure I always have plenty of tires on hand.

Guess I should have educated her on what kind of oil & filter I use.  :)

ZG/ZN Kim said:
Heck if Cliff and Ted and buying them, what could go wrong

Everything!  :) Hey Kim, hold my beer.  :rotflmao:

I did check my maintenance book & I used two sets of the original II's back in 09. Got 4,275 out of 1 set & 5,225 out of the other. For the price, I'll try them again. Not to mention my preferred tire of choice is getting harder to find.  :'(

Hoping to find a rear in a 190/55-17.
Saw it listed in only 1 place previously.
If they have it,,,, Dunlop shows it is manufactured...

Part of my hold out; Cycle gear shows on their site that they offer them on their site for the same price as we've seen mail order.
                              I plan to go by their store and ask, but I hurt my back and haven't been going anywhere for about a week.
                              Tried calling their store, {but the counter guy was the village idiot} so I decided to go in person  :truce:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Hoping to find a rear in a 190/55-17.
Saw it listed in only 1 place previously.
If they have it,,,, Dunlop shows it is manufactured...

Part of my hold out; Cycle gear shows on their site that they offer them on their site for the same price as we've seen mail order.
                              I plan to go by their store and ask, but I hurt my back and haven't been going anywhere for about a week.
                              Tried calling their store, {but the counter guy was the village idiot} so I decided to go in person  :truce:

Ride safe, Ted
Even if Cycle Gear was higher priced, they will price match.

Jeff Kerkow said:
I have gone through 2 sets of the these tires. I would say grip was just as good as the PR4s at about 80 % of the mileage but as you noted the cost is substantially less. I would recommend them. FYI I have 112 K on the bike so I have gone through a few tires.
Thanks, Jeff, for the info.

See you at the Spider.

SteveJ. said:
Rusty said:

The 2 front RSII's I have were made in Thailand, in May 2019. Spooned one on yesterday, little stiffer than a Michelin PR or Avon Spirit. But it was only 65 deg's here yesterday

Just (bike)curious, what country are they made in?

Sorry messed up on the previous post. Meant to say, made in Thailand in May 2019. Spooned  a front RS II yesterday. Much stiffer than a Michelin PR, or Avon Spirit. But it was only 65 deg F here yesterday.

ZG/ZN Kim said:
Sorry messed up on the previous post. Meant to say, made in Thailand in May 2019. Spooned  a front RS II yesterday. Much stiffer than a Michelin PR, or Avon Spirit. But it was only 65 deg F here yesterday.

Thankya sir.

See ya soon. Had a fresh BS T31 front mounted up at my local shop yesterday, installing this am. With the rebate at the time cost was something like $80-85 from Rocky Mountain ATV.

Went to CG yesterday and bought a 190/50-17 RS-II.
Got home and realized the "mfg date stamp is" 1112.. {ie; I think 11th week of 2012}  arghhhh  :mad:

So, it's back to Cycle Gear I go, "ho ho".

Ride safe, Ted

Update; Tire Returned

connie_rider said:
Went to CG yesterday and bought a 190/50-17 RS-II.
Got home and realized the "mfg date stamp is" 1112.. {ie; I think 11th week of 2012}  arghhhh  :mad:

So, it's back to Cycle Gear I go, "ho ho".

Ride safe, Ted

Pretty sure you can't legally sell tires more than 7 years from manufacture date. My set was made in 2019, May - June I believe. CG probably doesn't even have the new reintroduced version in the store. Only the older version.

Not sure where the tires were made...but I will check later today. I could not find the RS 2's in a 190/55. Said they do not make them in that size. You can get the RS 3's in the 55's. Did not know they were reinvented. I thought they were so cheap because they were selling them out! I will buy another set even in the 190/50's  Been great tires!  :great:

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :beerchug:

SteveJ. said:
ZG/ZN Kim said:

Thankya sir.

See ya soon. Had a fresh BS T31 front mounted up at my local shop yesterday, installing this am. With the rebate at the time cost was something like $80-85 from Rocky Mountain ATV.
Put mine on yesterday. Spooned on old school just to make Kim happy. Took off RS 2 with 12K. Good tire no issues.

I just spooned on a rear RS2 in the rear it appears to be a well made tire IMO not nearly as lumpy when rotating as the the Shinko Verge 2 that was on it?  I let you know how it goes.

I just pulled up Rocky Mountain, and Bikebandit to check prices.

Rocky Mountain was $114, and $80  ($194 a pair)
Bikebandit has them for $97/rear in 190/50-17 and $67/front in 120/70-17.... ($164 a pair)
    Revzilla, Cycle Gear, Dennis Kirk are the same as BB...

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/dunlop-sportmax-roadsmart-ii-motorcycle-tire/p/36080

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/dunlop-sportmax-roadsmart-ii-motorcycle-tire/p/36080

I just purchased from Cycle gear (and paid a little bit more) as they will also change the tire for $25 ea. if I purchase for them.
But, at the Bikebandit price, I may order another set as spares.

Ride safe, Ted

How are these for outright grip? Cheap and long wearing is great, but can you push them hard? Wet performance? I can't find any compound information, if they have a decent silica content i might try some.

I haven't mounted one yet.
I was told that they were re-introduced, supposedly with same compound as Roadsmart 3's.
Not old tires off the shelf. Mine were build 3/19 and 6/19.

Ride safe, Ted

I just put on 3500 miles on a front RS II, normal mixed riding. I think it will go another 1500 or so. Tire handled well, did not need balancing weights.  I paid $60 for the tire, definitely will run it again.

If you are only going to get 5,000 out of the front a rear should last 2500?  :??:
Wayne

ZG/ZN Kim said:
I just put on 3500 miles on a front RS II, normal mixed riding. I think it will go another 1500 or so. Tire handled well, did not need balancing weights.  I paid $60 for the tire, definitely will run it again.

Actually I run Michelin PR2's in the rear. PR2 in the rear, RS II in the front really ran well together. I know some think that is sinning. but for $180 for a set of skins, that make 5-6k, the best I have ever done.

I have not run a RS II rear.

Kzz1king said:
If you are only going to get 5,000 out of the front a rear should last 2500?  :??:
Wayne

ZG/ZN Kim said:

I think a lot of people have found the C14 to be very hard on front tires, getting the same miles or less than the rear.
I hit something in the road at 70 mph and took out both of my rims with only 6400 miles on the stock tires.  At that mileage, the front was almost to the wear bars and the rear had more tread than the front.  I put a set of Angel GT's on and got 10,360 miles out of the front and put on a Dunlop RS3.  The rear Angel GT is still going with just over 20,000 miles on it and looks more worn than the RS3 on front with 10,000 on it.  I'm guessing that when the rear finally hits the wear bars, it will be time to replace the front along with it.

So far I am at 5 or 6 rear to 3 front. 10 to 11000 on the fronts. 5 to 6000 rears.  Not a lot of corners to be had most of the time. High dollars have not equated to more miles yet.

Wayne

turbojoe78_MA said:
The rear Angel GT is still going with just over 20,000 miles on it and ...

Incredibly amazing rear tire lifetime.  Tell us what you attribute it to.  Oh, and what bike?

Red Fox said:
turbojoe78_MA said:
The rear Angel GT is still going with just over 20,000 miles on it and ...

Incredibly amazing rear tire lifetime.  Tell us what you attribute it to.  Oh, and what bike?

I attribute the mileage to the roads in the northeast and that most of my riding is highway miles commuting to work.

The bike is a 2014 C14 with a full Muzzy exhaust for a ZX14 and SISF's full areaP flash, ZX14 forks with AK 20 cartridges on front and a Penske rear shock.  Not sure if the suspension mods do anything for the tire wear but it sure does ride nicer with them.

My last bike was a 99 C10.  It had a PR4 GT rear tire with 15,000 miles on it when I sold it.  The gentleman who bought it rode it home to Texas.

As a result of this thread I just mounted a rear Roadsmart 2, replacing an Angel ST at 5189. It could have gone another 500 but road trip coming up.
The Roadsmart had a yellow dot. I aligned that with the valve stem and it was balanced, no weights needed. That's a good sign. :great:

Just squeezed out 11K miles on my Front and rear RS 2's! Just replaced them with a new set of RS 2's. Got em for $170.00 for both with tax and 5.00 credit from Revzilla.. I doubt that I will repeat this performance with the majority of the miles going there and back to the National in Williamsport and The Devil's Cut in Eastern Arizona on our nations highways. About 9K on those rides. Most of my riding in Southern California is fairly aggressive mountain riding! I am impressed with their performance so maybe I will be surprised again! I would not hesitate with buying these tires!

I just bought a pair and got a few miles on them.  New tires are always the best feel on a bike but these are really nice.  I just went back to a 50 series after several 55's in a row.  I'm not sure what the best combination is but for my style of driving I really like the 50 series at  least on the RS 2..  I will see what kind of miles I get with these but i'm really impressed so far with the cost/benefit ratio.

Just returned from a ride in Arkansas with a RS-II on the back.
Was pretty impressed by the tire.
Actually, I was pretty very impressed by the tire {for the low $$ I spent for it!!}
Ordered another rear already...

Will install front soon.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Just returned from a ride in Arkansas with a RS-II on the back.
Was pretty impressed by the tire.
Actually, I was pretty very impressed by the tire {for the low $$ I spent for it!!}
Ordered another rear already...

Will install front soon.

Ride safe, Ted

I'll 2nd Teds comment. We checked his tire wear when we returned from some aggressive twisties and they showed no cupping as with many other brands. The tread grooves are spaced much further apart than any other tire I have seen. My Avon Spirit ST was feathered very badly running the same roads and tire pressure. Looks like the RS2 may be my next set as well. We are tough on tires when we go to Arkansas.

I'm running a set of Roadsmarts 3's now
I'm going to get of set of the Roadsmart 2's and see how they go and what mileage, curious to see for myself

I have run the RS 3's, all sorts of AVON's, Pirellis and etc.... My go to set has been the AVON Spirit St's but I just ordered a set of the Dunlop RS2's. Going to give them a try.

$163 shipped. I am going back to a 190 series rear tire this time after running a 195 for the last 10 sets or more.

YES, 190 55 verses the 50 series. Going back to the 50 series. Thanks for the correction

https://www.americanmototire.com/

No sales tax, I know thats coming to an end soon.

We're all assuming you mean your going to 190/50 vs 190/55?
I mail ordered mine thru Cycle gear.
  Cost a few $$ more, but they do the install for less money if you buy from them..

Update: Cycle gear is $79 for the rear, $67 for the front... (total $146)

Ride safe, Ted

My bike has a recent set of the Bridgestones, not sure if they are the same as was stock, but I think so as the PO's dealer installed them.
I find that my bike requires a bit of effort to to initiate a turn and constant input to hold the line.

I am tempted to try a set of these due to cost, but was planning on trying tires in the 190/55 size to alleviate the turning efforts.

Those that have run these in the 190/50 size, how do they do as far as lighter steering/less input to hold a line?
Are they an improvement from stock?

Those that have run these in the 190/50 size, how do they do as far as lighter steering/less input to hold a line?
Are they an improvement from stock?
[/quote]

Concrete tire would be an improvement from the stock tires.  I have a set with the 50 on the rear and I really like them so far but not too sure how long they will last.  I am pretty sedate when riding so if you really give her the beans you may not like them but for 160 bucks?  Give em a try I say!

CaffeineMan said:
n3nman said:
Just bought a set from Bike Bandit for $146 total to my door.

What was the manufacture date on them?  I’m looking at that deal as well.

I have 3 sets on the shelf, all manufactured/dated in the second half of 2019.  :motonoises:

I have 2 sets that I ordered from Cycle gear. Same mfg dates as Cliff.
NOTE: I originally bought a set off their shelf.
          When I got home I discovered that the tire's {from the shelf} were 7 year's old.
          So, I took them back immediately and ordered new ones..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I went back a week or so later and the 7yr old tires were on the shelf again.
      So, I called the manager over, pointed them out and told him I thought it illegal to sell tires at that age. {?}
        He agreed with me and said they would be taken off the shelf.

connie_rider said:
I have 2 sets that I ordered from Cycle gear. Same mfg dates as Cliff.
NOTE: I originally bought a set off their shelf.
          When I got home I discovered that the tire were 7 year's old.
          Took them back immediately and ordered new ones..

Ride safe, Ted
Nice...

Well I ordered a couple sets from Bike Bandit.  I hope the manufacture dates are recent.  2 sets for the price of 1 set of RS3’s, which I have now and like.  Hard to resist.

Just installed another RoadSmart II rear. The last one lasted 9200 miles. My average rear life is 6000. 

CaffeineMan said:
Well I ordered a couple sets from Bike Bandit.  I hope the manufacture dates are recent.  2 sets for the price of 1 set of RS3’s, which I have now and like.  Hard to resist.

lather said:
Just installed another RoadSmart II rear. The last one lasted 9200 miles. My average rear life is 6000. 

Just bought my third pair in a row of the RS 2's yesterday. Got about 7500 miles on this set. Which is great for me..  :)  Been very good tires so sticking with them. Bought mine from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. They are a very good value too!

I hate to admit this, but my Yankee Buddy {ZG/ZN Kim} is the one that started this discussion.
        Well done "Yankee"... Saaaaaalute!!

Ride safe, Ted

Rusty said:
CaffeineMan said:

lather said:

Just bought my third pair in a row of the RS 2's yesterday. Got about 7500 miles on this set. Which is great for me..  :)  Been very good tires so sticking with them. Bought mine from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. They are a very good value too!

That is where I buy mine. I have not tried the front yet, still using Angel ST

Just replaced my old RS 2's with a new set of them today! Ended up with 7800 miles! They were toast but were very good tires! Give them a try if you have not yet. I am very pleased with their performance and value!

I also installed a new set of the RS2's for a trip in May. $164 shipped was a deal! Have a spare set also but had to pay tax this time. $179 to the door.

Put 200 miles of twistys yesterday from Telluride Co to Gateway and back on my new RS2's.
Very nice tire, but then aren't all tires great when their new?
Gotta love the low price on these.
Nick

I've got about 1500 miles now on those RS2's.
Very nice tire at any price.
Remarkably smooth on smooth asphalt
Nick

I just scrubbed in this new set on a 50 mile ride yesterday. I went back to the 50 series. Speedo shows 2-3 mph faster than actual which is Ok by me. The 50 series is a bit less $$$ too.

My May trip is supposed to begin on the 13th, we will see. I called lodging in Oregon and CA a few weeks ago. I was told to call back on the 1st of May to be sure they will allow non-essential lodgers.

Friend left Puyallup WA and ended up in Enterprise OR for the night last week. He had zero issues with lodging. He was going into Idaho but was told he would have to 14 day quarantine when he entered ID so he came back home a few days later.  This site has no tax and free shipping.

https://www.americanmototire.com/

copdocpvd said:
Interesting...the Dunlop website doesn't list the RSII as recommended or optional tires:  https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tires-for-my-bike/results/?id=200697

I bought a set of RS2’s.

I have always found Dunlop’s website limited that way.  I like their tires but I think their site is more marketing than technical.  If the size is right and the load capacity is close I’m not going to worry about it.  It’s not even like this is a “Goldwing tires on a C10” situation.  The size is exact.

CaffeineMan said:
copdocpvd said:
Interesting...the Dunlop website doesn't list the RSII as recommended or optional tires:  https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tires-for-my-bike/results/?id=200697

I bought a set of RS2’s.

I have always found Dunlop’s website limited that way.  I like their tires but I think their site is more marketing than technical.  If the size is right and the load capacity is close I’m not going to worry about it.  It’s not even like this is a “Goldwing tires on a C10” situation.  The size is exact.

My thoughts exactly!!!!  :beerchug:

I started this thread last year  not knowing anything about the RS II. A friend of mine(Scootertrash) mentioned he really liked the old RS II front tire.
My riding got cut short late last summer, but I have managed to put 4000 miles on the tires, center of tire looks nearly new, shoulders 50% used up.  1500 of those miles on Arkansas "chip-seal"/Suches twisties. They are a good all around tire; stick and wear well, do not pick up rain grooves, no balancing weights required and reasonable price.  I have paid as low as $54/front tire from Dennis Kirk. I have a few pairs on the rack and look forward to using them up.
I think Rusty is spot on, 8000 miles a set should be attainable, with  abuse. It will be interesting how long they are available.
I will mention, I thought they were a bit tight when spooning on.

I completely agree with you Kim as to the difficulty.  Per your amazing tutelage I tried to spoon these on (RS2) and it was a real bugger,  Clamps sweating and all!  I thought it was due to my inexperience but perhaps not?  No weights needed to balance and they ride smooth at about 165$ a pair shipped from RM ATV I'll stick with them but ill heat them up real good before next install.

Leave tomorrow to Northern CA from Tacoma WA. 5 Days. Was going to be 9 days but sister in Santa Barbara says she is afraid of the CV19 so I am not going to stop to visit.

So Tacoma to Coos Bay, CB to Red Bluff, RB to Fortuna CA. FT back to CB and then home.

Whats really nice is my neighbor cut my hair yesterday, I mowed the lawn and the weather looks to be fantastic the whole way.

I was going next week but could have been riding in rain the entire trip.

Oh, and I have new Skivvies undergarments to try out.

I will let you know how the 2's do overall.

So far so good the RS2's are doing well. I have currently 1000 miles on them the second day. I am currently in Red Bluff, just finished hwy 36 and at a good clip. Tires felt fine, like all the others brands I have used. Leave in the AM and ride 36 again, Leggetts and Willits hwy 20 and end up in Eureka CA tomorrow night. From there hwy 299 to Willow Creek, ride 96 to I5 for a bit before heading west to the coast again. I have had zero issues with handling and grip. But you can say that with any new tire. Cheers!!!!  :beerchug:

A
gpd323 said:
So far so good the RS2's are doing well. I have currently 1000 miles on them the second day. I am currently in Red Bluff, just finished hwy 36 and at a good clip. Tires felt fine, like all the others brands I have used. Leave in the AM and ride 36 again, Leggetts and Willits hwy 20 and end up in Eureka CA tomorrow night. From there hwy 299 to Willow Creek, ride 96 to I5 for a bit before heading west to the coast again. I have had zero issues with handling and grip. But you can say that with any new tire. Cheers!!!!  :beerchug:

Attila and I just rode Highway 3 from Yreka to the 36 and then to Fortuna two days ago! Posted some pictures on Facebook! In the past I have ridden highway 299 too....WOW! All incredible roads and I had the RS 2's on and they ran perfectly! We ended up doing a Western Loop of about 3800 miles and the tires are still perfect! Ride safe going home!

^^^^^ thanks, currently in Eureka for the night. Leave early and do 299 to Willow Creek, 96 to I5 for a bit then grab hwy 42 to the coast to Florence for tomorrow night.

From Florence Oregon its an easy 350+ mile day home. Mostly back roads if possible. So far liking the tires a lot and the budget price.

1900 miles and home. Poured and hailed on me in Astoria Oregon. Wet traction is like all the other tires I have tried. Fine. Slightly squared off on the rear, I had to do more slabbing than normal this time so its expected, but still surprised since the low mileage. They are quite noisy tread wise especially the front tire in corners. Other than that.  :beerchug:

I see that these are available again. I ordered another rear, just in case. Hope I like em because I have 2 rears and a front now.

As (ZG/ZN Kim) stated, those RS II's are awesome front tires...easily my favorite tire of all time for the C14. My experience on the rears (three years ago) was not so good, they did stick like glue but wore fairly fast. I can't say it was the fault or the tire...it was treated very poorly! Fast forward to current, installed a rear 3,500 miles ago and treat it as good as I can with mixed riding. The tire is wearing as good as anything I have used in the past and appears to have another 3K left. Long story short...my new go to tires for the C14.  :)

I just had to change out my Front RS2. Both sides wore completly out before the center. It looked like the center could have gone another maybe 1200- 1500 miles.
The front only went 4400 miles.
It seems in my case it is a dual compound tire and maybe the side rubber is Too soft.
The rear looks like it may go another 2k- Maybe
After these I think I'm going to go for some Michelins
Nick
2014 C-14

Well I just replaced my third set of RS 2's with a new set! This time I put on 10,500 miles on front and rear tires and they were toast at the end. Now this set was used on a 6900 mile cross country tour in late June and ended at the beginning of this month. The tires are for the money just great! I think for all around riding they are very good. Do everything well and at $170.00 with tax for both tires are a fantastic value! Now if I did a lot of mountain riding like Nick above does in Colorado I know I would likely get mileage closer to what he got because I am pretty aggressive on the curves too. But lately I have been going on a number of trips and the tires handle the local highways and interstates very well and will reward you with excellent mileage even at high speed... :) Do not ask me why I know that...Anyway let's see how this new set does!

Disclaimer; I trailer to events and ride only while there, so all my riding is in the twisties.
{Because of that, I seldom get 5000 miles out of a set if tires. {In fact more like 3500-4000 is my norm}

We did the Colorado UnRally last week. I had a set of the RS-II's with about 2000 miles on them.
I decided to finish them off while there.
While there; We did 1500 miles of Mountain Roads.
ie; I put quite a bit of wear on the sides <evil grin>, but they lasted better than I had expected.
I feel that their good enough for another outing...
Bottom Line; Good tire. I plan to replace these with another set of RS-II's..

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Hi Gents
Man this is a long thread now!
Just changed out my rear RS2.
Got 5,540 out of it, about average for me
I probably could have gone another 3-400 to totally shot
Changed it a fuzz early as I'm heading out on a Utah tour soon.
Good tires Especially for the $$
I give them a Like.
Nick
2014 C-14

Well I had my first real ride on my new RS2's.

1500 miles over 5 days during the SWCOG Devil's Cut ride on the Devil's Highway in AZ, together with some twisties on the way to and from. All in the dry. I'd call my riding medium-fast and for my riding, the RS2's performed as well as my previous RS3's.

I got about 5k out of the stock tires and 7k out of the RS3's, so if I get approximately the same mileage as the RS3's, these are winners at the price I paid, which was $150 for the set.

Gents
I usually replace both my tires at the same time. My second set of RS2's got me all out of sync. My front is done at 4300 miles and my rear is only half done. So I ordered a Michelin Pilot Power to put on the front. The reviews say they are very nice and sticky but short lived. So I hope my RS2 rear and Michelin front wear out about the same time.
Then I'm probably going to put on a set of Michelin Power Pilots 4 GT's on there. Those RS2's are nice and they are cheap, but on my bike pretty short life.
Nick
2014 C-14

Nick, amazing burning up that front RS II in 4300 miles. Are you from Texas? Sounds as if it would be hard to keep up with you.
I have been averaging 5000 on my RS II's, but got 7000 out of the last one( some slabwork)

I like these tires, but not sure how much longer we are gonna get them. I have not read anything about the production run being done. But I have noticed like,"Connie Rider", that my usual suppliers no longer have them, and fewer places in general are carrying them.
I just bought 4 rears, from Chaparral, and 3 fronts from J&P Cycle.

Last edited:
Changed out my RS2 on the rear today, It went almost exactly as my other rear RS2- 5450 miles
Put on a RS3 , got it to balance up real nice.
Whaahoo
Nick
2014 C-14