• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Remember Dave Aldana?

Hogboy

Street Cruiser
Here's a few shots of Mr. Bones.  Great racer whether it was pavement, TT, mile or MX.

Attachments

• Air Aldada.jpg
    Air Aldada.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Aldana Mile.jpg
    Aldana Mile.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Aldana Trident.jpg
    Aldana Trident.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 132
Loved Dave!!!!!

It was watching him convinced me to get a steel shoe and ride bigger dirt bikes trying something OTHER than MX. Got me a 441 Victor that took two trips down the mountain to start (I only weighed 120 lbs) if it started at all and I was lucky 13 at the local TT track.  Traded the Beezer for a Taco 250 flat tracker (not sure which one was harder to start) and had more fun than a 15 year old is permitted.  GAWD I crashed a lot.  It hurts now.  :beerchug:

Loved Dave!!!!

Cool beans!  The wife & I stopped at a leather apparell shop this past weekend & I noticed a couple of the jackets they were selling had the "bones" on them.  She asked what the deal was & I told her about Dave Aldana wearing his trademark leathers while racing many moons ago... 

Used to work with His Mom's. AMA needs to bring back the Grand National Championship. Some Dirt Track, Some Road Race, Some TT, Some MX, Some Off Road. 1 true all around Champ. That would be a series!

Guys- Do yourselves a favor and rent, borrow, or steal a copy of Bruce Browns' 1971 "On Any Sunday". Watch Dave and his friends flattracking. Awesome stuff!  My favorite movie.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Old Man on a Connie said:
Used to work with His Mom's. AMA needs to bring back the Grand National Championship. Some Dirt Track, Some Road Race, Some TT, Some MX, Some Off Road. 1 true all around Champ. That would be a series!

Now THAT'S FUNNY!  :rotflmao: Not a chance HD could win the GNC today! 

CRocker said:

Actually, HD were massive innovators during the AMA multi-discipline heyday. At some point in their run for the series championship they had:

- the RR250 roadracer (2-stroke) (Walter Villa world champ 3 times over)
- the amazing XR 750 (dirt and pavement)
- 250 Aermacchi single (4 stroke aka Sprint)
- a few race prototypes including multi-cylinder 2 and 4-strokes

... and aside from that great era:

- the VR 1000 (RR) (think DuHamel and Picotte and Carr)
- XR 1200 BoTT
- V Rod drag bike
- 250 2-stroke MX bike

Hogboy said:
CRocker said:

Actually, HD were massive innovators during the AMA multi-discipline heyday. At some point in their run for the series championship they had:

- the RR250 roadracer (2-stroke) (Walter Villa world champ 3 times over)
- the amazing XR 750 (dirt and pavement)
- 250 Aermacchi single (4 stroke aka Sprint)
- a few race prototypes including multi-cylinder 2 and 4-strokes

... and aside from that great era:

- the VR 1000 (RR) (think DuHamel and Picotte and Carr)
- XR 1200 BoTT
- V Rod drag bike
- 250 2-stroke MX bike

Not to detract from "Bones"...because I loved to watch and read about his races...I pulled for him all the time!

The return to a GNC has very little to do with what HD did in the past...unless they would re-enlist the aid of the AMA to ban other motorcycles from competing...  After all, Harleys have ALWAYS only been competitive with other Harleys...

As for their "innovation"...a partnership with Aermacchi to market two-strokes isn't innovative...nor is their "development" of the VR1000RR...you just take a huge bucket of money and go to Roush and buy an engine...then you go to Penske and buy a chassis and suspension...etc...

That being said...the return to GNC might be really cool!  Look at what has been done by NASCAR...limitations would have to be put in place...to keep that one brand competitive...but, it might be a great addition to the AMA's pitiful racing schedule...if they could find the facilities...sort of a "throwback series"...I like it...and, it could be used to spotlight some of the remaining "Ironmen" who made the sport what we remember it to be...

Yeah, I agree with almsot everything you're saying mon. 

I grew up in the era where HD was running 750 sidevalves against the restricted 500cc OHV brit bikes and it peeved me off regularly.  Loved it when they opened things up and had to go with the XR750 vs everybody else (KR on the XS750 and later the TZ monster, Brit 750s including the Norton 750 pictured above, all the 2-stroke triples that came out and then were quickly banned, etc.).

With that said, I do think HD had a rich racing history irrespective of tilting the odds, setting up your own racing class (XR1200s), or buying better machinery.  And you have to admit, that 1st Daytona lap in 1969 (I think) showing the HD Wrecking crew was a mind blower.

Attachments

• Dayton180.jpg
    Dayton180.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Dayton179.jpg
    Dayton179.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 107