• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Remote coolant tank solution for half naked mod - Done. Cheap and easy

ONOBob

I went half naked for 2 reasons.
1. My bike was wrecked / the bottom fairings were scratched / cracked and whoever installed the tip over bars
cut big round holes in the side fairing rather than fitting them thru the vents. It looked like crap.
2. The Connie was jus too hot - lotta heat coming up around my inner thighs

I did the half naked mod 2 days before the 2019 National Rally, so I was kind rushed...
I put the remote coolant tank behind the battery and tied it in with rope.
Amateurish, but quick solution, and hey, it worked / is still working.

I want something more permanent, but mostly....... I want my tool storage tray back....

I'm thinking I'm gonna make me a tank out of half pint oil bottle, and mount it on the side of the battery
holder, you know, where the California air pollution box is normally mounted.

I have attached a drawing of how I think it will work.
Any comments / suggestions?
Thanks
BobIMG_0773.jpgIMG_0060.jpg

Some have put a slimmer coolant overflow bottle from a Kaw EX250 (I think) under the right side cover, to the right side of the battery box.

Any bottle that fits would work.

Seems like I should know this, but do overflow tanks operate on pressure to expel overflow fluid?

I'm thinking not, and if so, that vent tube doesn't seem it would work as intended since fluid can't travel uphill during a reservoir overflow event. If the cap wasn't water tight around the hose exit, seems it would slobber all down the bottle.

Last edited:
Some have put a slimmer coolant overflow bottle from a Kaw EX250 (I think) under the right side cover, to the right side of the battery box.

Any bottle that fits would work.

Seems like I should know this, but do overflow tanks operate on pressure to expel overflow fluid?

I'm thinking not, and if so, that vent tube doesn't seem it would work as intended since fluid can't travel uphill during a reservoir overflow event. If the cap wasn't water tight around the hose exit, seems it would slobber all down the bottle.

I assumed it was under pressure, But you make a good point...
I'll review the standard over flow routing to see if it is " all down hill" LOL.

I believe the Ex250 tank is a better solution.
See next post.... Ted has already hooked me up with one on eBay, It's cheap, I'm gonna buy it and give it a shot.
Thanks!

I installed a coolant bottle from an old ZX-1000 on the right side.
I had to heat it a bit with a heat gun to form it a little flatter than it's original shape, but EZ to do.
Should be relatively EZ to find one from a small bike that fits better.

Fer instance; 07 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 EX 250 Coolant Overflow Bottle Jug 70O | eBay

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks Ted,
I'm gonna buy this, for the $7.00 it's not worth trying to drill and Seall the holes in top of an oil bottle. LOL
Cheers!
Bob

After a closer look at the EX250 bottle, the over flow does indeed come out the top like mine would have.
S0, If not under pressure, fluid level just rises to the point where gravity takes over.
I let y'all know how it works out.
Thanks again
Bob

I went half naked for 2 reasons.
1. My bike was wrecked / the bottom fairings were scratched / cracked and whoever installed the tip over bars
cut big round holes in the side fairing rather than fitting them thru the vents. It looked like crap.
2. The Connie was jus too hot - lotta heat coming up around my inner thighs

I did the half naked mod 2 days before the 2019 National Rally, so I was kind rushed...
I put the remote coolant tank behind the battery and tied it in with rope.
Amateurish, but quick solution, and hey, it worked / is still working.

I want something more permanent, but mostly....... I want my tool storage tray back....

I'm thinking I'm gonna make me a tank out of half pint oil bottle, and mount it on the side of the battery
holder, you know, where the California air pollution box is normally mounted.

I have attached a drawing of how I think it will work.
Any comments / suggestions?
Thanks
BobView attachment 28462View attachment 28460
I dont see anything wrong with this just get better mounting solution. Of course if you ditched your bags then storage space is a premium. My battery box is a pain to raise n lower so I might consider your pictured solution. Thanks

I have used a small SS vodka bottle, routed inlet and overflow tubing, 3D printed a holder, and this has been working for 14 years. Have done similar on a dozen other bikes I have turned into naked Streetfighters, pretty straightforward.

Attachments

• IMG_8299.JPG
    IMG_8299.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 206
  • overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 180
Thanks Ted,
I'm gonna buy this, for the $7.00 it's not worth trying to drill and Seall the holes in top of an oil bottle. LOL
Cheers!
Bob
I'm unsure if this one is the correct year EX-250 bottle. I just posted it as a possibility.
I think it is correct, but others can say for sure which year you need.
If it is a close fit, you can use a heat gun to modify it a bit.

Ride safe, Ted

The whole point is to give some place for the coolant to go as it expands due to being heated by the engine.
Then when the engine cools down it will suck that expanded coolant back into the engine. The critical points
are that the tube from the radiator back to your bottle is sealed and the tip is under coolant. Glad to see you
noticed the 45* slash cut on the end of the hose. Pressure, it will be 1 atmosphere, not much.

I have used a small SS vodka bottle, routed inlet and overflow tubing, 3D printed a holder, and this has been working for 14 years. Have done similar on a dozen other bikes I have turned into naked Streetfighters, pretty straightforward.
Seems simple enough.
Love the SS vodka bottle. :giggle:
A C10 parts bike I bough had a plastic water bottle tied to the right side of the battery box. It didn't run, so I never knew how if it worked

I'm unsure if this one is the correct year EX-250 bottle. I just posted it as a possibility.
I think it is correct, but others can say for sure which year you need.
If it is a close fit, you can use a heat gun to modify it a bit.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks Ted, I looked a several EX250 bottles, they all looked the same. for $7.00 I ain't gonna complain if it won't fit.
Cheers
Bob

Hey Ted,
I Got the EX 250 remote tank today.
A perfect fit
Thanks for the tip!

Now if I just had one of those 3D printers, (and someone who knows how to use it) to make the mounting brackets, Iā€™d be setšŸ˜

Iā€™ll figure something out.
FD39C77F-0C47-487E-873D-4B762EA4B18B.jpegThatā€™s half the fun

Best Regards
Bob

Not to take away the fun of you getting a 3D printer, but how about something like this, perhaps with metal strap extenders as needed?

The price is right inline with the C10 COGGER mindset (at least mine).

Thanks Stasch...
I share your C10 mindset.
Good tip. my first thought was to use some of that flexible strapping they have to hang air ducts and PVC pipe....but meh...
These would protect the paint, not slide around, and I could extend them with some of the rigid / bendable metal straps Lowes also sells.
I bought one of their aluminum straps and cut / shaped it to form the 2 trim strips for the bottom of my upper faring when I went half naked.
Painted em with some etchent primer and Rustoleum satin black.
Worked out really well.
I'll got to Lowes later and see what they have in the store.
Best Regards
Bob

IMG_0541.jpg

Not to take away the fun of you getting a 3D printer, but how about something like this, perhaps with metal strap extenders as needed?

The price is right inline with the C10 COGGER mindset (at least mine).

Hey Stasch,
I just noticed these are only available on line.
Thanks for the tip. I'd been walking around Lowes trying piece something together....
I'm a little thick some times.

On my bike, I fabricated aluminum brackets that attach to the bike.
You just need a piece of cardboard to figure the brackets out and a piece of aluminum.
Can be fabricated using basic mechanical skills/tools.

On mine;
The lower bracket attached under the nut that secures the Schrader valve
The upper bracket is attached {with a bolt/nut I added} thru the battery case.
The system works perfectly.

Ride safe, Ted

On my bike, I fabricated aluminum brackets that attach to the bike.
You just need a piece of cardboard to figure the brackets out and a piece of aluminum.
Can be fabricated using basic mechanical skills/tools.

On mine;
The lower bracket attached under the nut that secures the Schrader valve
The upper bracket is attached {with a bolt/nut I added} thru the battery case.
The system works perfectly.

Ride

Thanks Ted,
Excellent suggestions.
You are a wizard of improvisation.

I have to admit I had look up Schrader valve.
to make sure I understood what you meant.

šŸ¤Ŗ
Best
Bob

Well, this worked out really well
I used the EX250 tank, and the Schrader valve bracket suggestion from Connie-rider (handsome Ted) for the lower mount. and the rubber Fastener suggestion from Stasch for the upper mount. Easy Peasy
Tomorrow Iā€™ll go to Ace for proper bolts, nuts and washers and wrap this project up.
Thanjs for the tips guys. I owe you a beverage of your choice. Hope to see ya at the national.
Best Regards
Bob

Attachments

• 001E77D8-56BA-4C61-B1F9-4075E82FEDFF.jpeg
    001E77D8-56BA-4C61-B1F9-4075E82FEDFF.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 4C361CF6-0249-47A2-90AC-1F9B1040850A.jpeg
    4C361CF6-0249-47A2-90AC-1F9B1040850A.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 232
  • F3B3C657-4CF4-4BEB-928C-4A1150A24F63.jpeg
    F3B3C657-4CF4-4BEB-928C-4A1150A24F63.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 232
These are photos from the ZGRX1200 conversion that Dan Bergman did.. The small coolant reservoir is located also above the shrader valve and fwd of the vacuum tank for the Audiovox CC.

Attachments

• 03 ZGRX 1200 left.jpg
    03 ZGRX 1200 left.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1042_zps5fcf361d.jpg
    IMG_1042_zps5fcf361d.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1757_zps30b38a36.jpg
    IMG_1757_zps30b38a36.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2376_zpsaec49480.jpg
    IMG_2376_zpsaec49480.jpg