• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

removing header pipe on 2010 K14

greggmig

Big Wheel
I just recently purchased a 2010 K14 and want to remove the cat. How do I get the header pipe off this is my first metric bike?
I know the fairing has to come off is that an easy task? Also is there enough run to get the header off from under the bike?
                          Thanks, Gregg

If you want to go catless you'd be better off getting an 07 zx14 header (oem catless) and installing that. Or an Area P. As far as removal, you need to take off the lower, mid, and upper fairings and covers on the right side of the bike, then drop the radiator to have enough room to pull it out comfortably. Search function will work wonders for fairing removal procedures, also get a copy of the service manual.

That said, why not just keep the factory header and flash your ECU with the Evo flash from Shoodaben, you'll do better in the low-end torque department.

Save some time and trouble by just wrapping the header pipe in the cat/collector area. Removing the cats is a fairly complex job. If you still want to do it find a competent weldor with SS experience. After cutting the cat area open they can be removed BUT be aware the are heavy metals and toxic. You don't want to breath any of the dust. When welding the pipe back up it MUST be purged internally during the welding process. Never try to just break them out with a chisel, it won't work and again they are TOXIC.

I gutted the cats cut a 2 inch by 4 inch opening on the tops of the converters broke them up and removed them, they came out pretty easy using an air chisel. I have a friend that owns a company that repairs exhausts on jet engines and is TIG welding the tops back on for me.

Verdict is in guys gut your cat! The bike great feels like it can breath now it wants to run at 100 with very little throttle where as before it liked 80-85 also for eliminating heat its a no brainer I would have done it just for that alone which was my goal to begin with.
Not a bad job the  hardest part was carefully taking the fairing off.

My 07 zx header was like $60 bucks on fleaBay.  No cats pre-08 on the ZX header. Easier to me than having a shop cut open the stock header, and if I ever sell the bike I have the OEM header in unmodified condition.