• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Removing rear shock

slowcat

I'm removing the rear shock on my 2016 C14 and I've run into a problem removing the 2 of the 3 bolts needed to remove pull out the shock. The nuts come off of the tie rod bolt and bottom shock bolt but these bolts are held in place tighter than I expected. Almost unmovable. Is there someway to relieve pressure on them so these bolts slide out? Or do I use hammer and screwdriver to persuade them out? What's the trick? I don't want to do anything stupid.

Thanks.

Assuming you have the bike on the centerstand spring pressure is probably holding the bolts tight. I think you need to compress the spring by raising the rear wheel with a lever until the spring releases pressure on the bolts. 1x4 imch board abour 3 feet longwith a short 2x4 as a fulcrum.

Assuming you have the bike on the centerstand spring pressure is probably holding the bolts tight. I think you need to compress the spring by raising the rear wheel with a lever until the spring releases pressure on the bolts. 1x4 imch board abour 3 feet longwith a short 2x4 as a fulcrum.
Thanks Lather.

Using the lever I was able to easily slide the bolt further out but not completely out. The bolt runs into the muffler pipe. Do I need to remove the bolt or do I keep levering another 1/2 inch or so to fully remove it?

I'm confused now which bolt you talking about. I just looked at mine and don't see how the pipe would interfere. I do have an aftermarket slip on, is yours stock?

Not sure what you have going on but dont lever that so high the centerstand folds up. There is a youtube video or 2 on it.

It's a stock pipe and its the A bolt on the upper part of the tie-rod/dog bone. I think using a ratchet strap over the seat and through the tire may lift the bolt high enough to remove it without collapsing the center stand.

Attachments

• RearShock.jpg
    RearShock.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 141
Stock exhaust removal was not needed when I replaced stock shock absorber and installed Penske.
Service manual does not have that call out either.
Probably this doesn’t help.

Which side of the bike did the A bolt draw out from when you all replaced your shock? Maybe mine was assembled differently? Can I switch it around during reassembly?

Yeah, I had to remove the muffler on my 2013, the nut should have been on the other side. I installed a Penske and slid the bolt back in the other way. Bike was pretty tippy once I took the weight off the linkage to get it out, but then I think I had the forks out too for re-valving.

Which side of the bike did the A bolt draw out from when you all replaced your shock? Maybe mine was assembled differently? Can I switch it around during reassembly?
If there is an unavoidable interference on right side then bolt on mine drew out from left side. Popping exhaust off is not a big deal - yes another item but just a few bolts.

As ZX stated he put bolt back in the right way when remounting.

Slowcat no worries on bike being tippy for you, if your front tire is still mounted you’ll be fine - unlike ZX when he had his forks removed at the same time...

Popping exhaust off is not a big deal - yes another item but just a few bolts.

Ahh yes, one would think...but not so in my case. That little detour took longer than the shock R&R thanks to the PO who must have used some gooey sealant at the joint of the CS-1 V&H. Then they used hardware store, non SS generic metric fasteners for the other attachment points that were all corroded and were a PITS to remove. (Pain In The Sacroiliac). At least it gave me a chance to get the spots all cleaned up and replaced with nice OEM style SS stuff.

Ahh, coming back to me now. First time I did this was quite a few years ago and replaced the oem with an Ohlins. More recently I swapped the Ohlins from my wrecked 08 to the replacement 08 so I didnt even have a pipe installed as I was also installing a new Delkavic as my Two Brothers was destroyed in the wreck so there was no bolt clearance issue for me. But as others mentioned, removing the muffler is easy and I think you might could just loosen the clamp and swivle it out of the way without actually removing.

It is finally out. I loosened two of the muffler bolts and the muffler moved down about an inch and the bolt slid out easily. Thank you all so much for all of your help and suffering. This site is awesome and well worth the membership.

Time for a coffee break and a few puffs on my pipe filled with an English blend.

Cheers,
Dave