• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Repair or Replace? Held Airstream II gloves

ghostrider990

Looking for opinions on this topic.....

I have a pair of Held Airstream II gloves that I've owned for approximately 4 seasons.

i absolutely LOVE these gloves, and wear them constantly in temps above 70degf.

After applying an adhesive touchscreen contact to the thumb of right hand glove, it lost adhesion a few months later and had to be removed.  The residual adhesive on the thumb was getting on everything; I wrongly chose WD40 to do so, and it ruined the leather on that thumb.

I was put in contact with anthonysleatherworks.com by Held USA for non-warranty repair (at my request) and rec'd a quote to
install an "underlay" of similar material in the thumb to serve to strengthen the original leather in the thumb.

So my question is this:  quote to "repair" the old glove is $90 not including shipping each way to Cali, which should amount to about $15-20.

Do I invest in the repair of these gloves @ $110 which have already seen 4 seasons, and could likely go another 3-4, or do I simply cut my losses, and buy a new set for $175 + free shipping??

I'm torn, but leaning towards the new set.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

gr

Attachments

• Held 1.JPG
    Held 1.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 111
I've done that exact thing, those touch screen thingies are the worst. I used a little bit of gasoline at the pump to get the residue off. Much better now. Plus, realized my gloves are somewhat ok on the touchscreen now that they're broken in a bit. (Klim Induction gloves)

I hate to be the one to tell you what to do with your money but you asked. Go get the new pair man, it's really not worth it. You're going to be much happier with a brand spankin new pair than receiving your old pair after waiting 2-3 weeks.

During those 4 seasons, the leather on the gloves are probably worn a bit, making them (maybe negligible but) less safe.

okrider said:
I've done that exact thing, those touch screen thingies are the worst. I used a little bit of gasoline at the pump to get the residue off. Much better now. Plus, realized my gloves are somewhat ok on the touchscreen now that they're broken in a bit. (Klim Induction gloves)

I hate to be the one to tell you what to do with your money but you asked. Go get the new pair man, it's really not worth it. You're going to be much happier with a brand spankin new pair than receiving your old pair after waiting 2-3 weeks.

During those 4 seasons, the leather on the gloves are probably worn a bit, making them (maybe negligible but) less safe.

Thanks OK, and I DID solicit advice.  Not so much because I can't make up my mind....but it IS an interesting dilemma for ALL motorcycle gear.  Where DO old helmets go to die, anyway?!?

And how long do you keep a set of glove like this, that are ostensibly still functional, just not as good as they were new?!  :017:

I tend to buy newer things when old one lose their flare or newness, and after getting the quote to repair them for a little more than half the cost of new -- it really kind of made me realize that newer WAS a better value.

These will likely get tossed in the bin for the "just in case" collection of older gear.

gr

You can always use it as passenger gloves, or give it to someone just starting riding who can't afford quality gear.

Or just sell it on eBay and make some of your $$ back.