• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Repairing C10 Pannieer luggage straps

ONOBob

If yours are like mine, and
- The elastic straps are stretched out and won't hold anything in the bags.
- The snap button straps the hold the outer bag pop off / the bag flys open / stuff falls out on the ground. AHHHH!!

You will need ....
1 3/4 " ROK strap - Got mine at REI. ~ $3.99. ( I got mine at REI)
1. 3' elastic strap from a local fabric shop. $3.75. (I got mine at JoAnns fabric)
3. 4 - 1/2" 6 /32 stainless screws, lock nuts, flat washers Aprox $6.00 ( I got mine at ACE)
I also used 2 star washers on the ROK strap, but prolly over kill.
I like the ROK strap as it will adjustment as needed.

I used screws and nuts because my aluminum rivets wouldn't pull down and out of the way like the OEM rivets ( I think OEM are steel)
They stuck up inside the bag and would have torn / ripped anything ya put in there.

The screws fit right back in the holes the rivets come out of.
Be careful when you remove the metal tabs from the ends of the elastic bands. You'll want to reuse them. I had to straighten mine out a little bit.
I hand sewed the metal hooks back on the elastic straps, I didn't put enough "angle" in them, so they twist, but meh, they'll do.
I doubled the ends of the ROK strap under the bolts, just to ensure no "tearing / loosening", again, prolly over kill.
I still have to grind off the excess screw lengths on a couple of the screws on the outside of the bags so I don't have any sharp edges.

This is a quick and simple fix... I wasted a lot of time trying to rivets to work.

Attachments

• IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 131
Looks good!

Curious to know:

What did you use the sealing tape in the 3rd pic for?

That tape was just laying on the bench. (I'm a messy mechanic).
I had used it to assemble a tire chuck for my air compressor.
:)

Thanks. Wondered if you were solving a saddlebag leak.

You should see my workshop when a project is underway. Its 'organized' chaos.

Thanks. Wondered if you were solving a saddlebag leak.

You should see my workshop when a project is underway. Its 'organized' chaos.

Ahh, yeah, saddle bag leaking is problem... I haven't tried to tackle that one yet.
In the past ( whilst using soft luggage) I put my stuff in this milar clothes storage bags you see advertised on TV