• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Replace Center Stand C10

manthony67

Looking to see if anyone know what needs to be done to remove a center stand on a 2006 C10? Looks like the exhaust needs to come off to provide room to remove the 2 bolts.
Thoughts for the easiest way?

Thanks

manthony67 said:
Looking to see if anyone know what needs to be done to remove a center stand on a 2006 C10? Looks like the exhaust needs to come off to provide room to remove the 2 bolts.
Thoughts for the easiest way?

Thanks
Are you going to replace it or are you just wanting to lose it?  It's not the easiest thing to remove and it is a highly desirable piece of kit for most of us.  For tire changes and maintenance it's a huge help.  However, if yours is bent (a pretty common ailment) and you simply want to replace it with another one, that's a different thing and I would take a bit more painstaking approach to doing the R & R.

Remove the mufflers. Lower the center stand while on the side stand. Place coins in the gaps of the spring. Raise side stand gently and remove the spring. Run some tape around the spring/coins so they don't accidentally come loose. Unbolt and remove. Grease pivot point on installation.

Dennis, can you get the left bolt out like that?  I can't remember.  I know the mufflers are behind the bolts so I'm not sure only removing them will be enough.  FSM has no recommendations or instructions either.  Weird.
I like the coin idea though I just use brake pliers (since I have them) to pull/replace the springs.  Or I imagine if you get the bolts out the springs will fall off.  But it would still be easier with the coins lightening the tension on the bolts I'd suspect.  :great:

Anyway, a torch or plasma cutter are the fastest easy way.

Well this timely.
I’m replacing my bent center stand during this winter down time.
it appears to me I might have to loosen or remove cylinder 1-2 header and crosser pipe to be able to get to the left side bolt?