• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Restoring a vintage 1978 KZ650 seat.

ONOBob

I can buy new seat covers on eBay. The ones from the UK look like the best bet.

But. I cannot find anyone who sells the foam. I'm gonna have to make it myself.

I Googled " replacing motorcycle seat foam".
I scanned thru the responses.... this place looks promising.
https://www.foambymail.com/SMHQ/super-max-foam.html

My questions are?
Anyone else done this? Got any tips suggestions?

Also,
My C10 seat has a very thing layer of clear sheeting that kept the water out.
A BIG plus in my book.
Does anyone know what this / where to find it? So far have not seen anything like it on the internet.

Best
Bob

Response from the foam factory below. Very responsive and helpful.
What I HAVE learned is foam density is the critical spec, the higher the better.
It ranges from 1.8 to 3.5. 1.8 density will last 4-5 years. 2.8 10 to 14 years.
It's all in the links below. Very educational

They are suggesting a Neoprene base, with their Super Max foam as the top layer.
The grinder shaping method looks fast, but very messy. Another Youtube video show making a
shaper out of a spaghetti jar lid and poking holes in it with a mail.. a cheese grater would be about the same ting me thinks

#################################################################################################################

Hello Robert,
We have two foams that we suggest for Motorcycle seats. I have attached both links below. The foams are not available in a 6” thickness. Most customers will make a seat out of a combination of both foams. I can send free Samples. I will need your mailing address and a phone number to create the Invoice.
The Foam Factory, Super Max Foam
Neoprene Sheets, Rubber, Poker Table Foam, Neoprene Pads (thefoamfactory.com)

Hours: 10am - 5pm EST, M-F
www.FoamByMail.com

-/-/-

A two part foam kit has the advantage of casting exact foam shape and ability to select a variety of foam densities. Search net for DIY how to! Youtube used to have good info. Some vendors also have excellent vids.