• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ride Hurricane Ridge Olympic Nat'l Park Aug 8

Is that an in and out run? Looks like non paved to the southeast.

There will be one more Floridian up there, but probably not till Tuesday. Schedule is still fluid.

Randy

I'm looking to make this ride plus the other ride (3 pass). Would be good to ride with everyone and finally meet face to face after all the threads. :) 

Yes Randy. The paved road portion is a dead end at Hurricane Ridge.

handyman said:
Is that an in and out run? Looks like non paved to the southeast.

There will be one more Floridian up there, but probably not till Tuesday. Schedule is still fluid.

Randy

One thing worth mentioning is this road is located inside a U.S. National Park, so there is a cost of admission.  It's worth every penny to ride that road.  :motonoises:

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
One thing worth mentioning is this road is located inside a U.S. National Park, so there is a cost of admission.  It's worth every penny to ride that road.  :motonoises:
National Parks also have Passes for over 62 ($10-lifetime), military and disability (Free)... I know some of you qualify for at least one of these....
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Good reminder, both Charlie and Dave!
Got my senior pass three years ago.

Camper Dave said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
National Parks also have Passes for over 62 ($10-lifetime), military and disability (Free)... I know some of you qualify for at least one of these....
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Oh man, I wish I could make this one but I will be packing up and coming home from the Vernonia Jamboree that day. Ride safe and enjoy, there is some great riding in that area. :motonoises:

I know we're still about 2 weeks out and not to jinx our nice weather now, looking at the details the meeting area is still the ferry area at 1pm, correct? Curious if folks are meeting earlier for breakfast, say Gig Harbor then riding to Mason Lake/Shelton then upto 101? I'm sure there are a few other routes and open to suggestions.

Due to this being on a Monday did not try to schedule other enroute meet ups nor did I look at the ferry schedule (Port Townsend?). Anyone with a need to meet elsewhere and when can offer suggestions we may be able to accommodate.
So, so far we still meet at Port Angeles ferry terminal near the dock looking for a cafe.
We will be leaving the Tacoma Area and riding up Hwy 16 past Bremerton then continuing north on Hwy3 then 104 over the Hood Canal, then on toward Port Angeles.
Nicole has a schedule to keep and a lots of ground to ride back to FL so this ride event fits the schedule so to continue HER RIDE by ferry and east on Hwy 20 over the Cascade Highway/North Cascade National Park/aka Washington Alps..
Nice to see more of the Olympic Peninsula... next time?

danodemotoman said:
Due to his being on a Monday did not try to schedule other enroute meet ups nor did I look at the ferry schedule (Port Townsend?). Anyone with a need to meet elsewhere and when can offer suggestions we may be able to accommodate.
So, so far we still meet at Port Angeles ferry terminal near the dock looking for a cafe.
We will be leaving the Tacoma Area and riding up Hwy 16 past Bremerton then continuing north on Hwy3 then 104 over the Hood Canal, then on toward Port Angeles.
Nicole has a schedule to keep and a lots of ground to ride back to FL so this ride event fits the schedule so to continue HER RIDE by ferry and east on US 20 over the Cascade Highway/North Cascade National Park/aka Washington Alps..

I wish I had more time to allocate to riding this area.  So much to see and so little time. I only have a certain amount of time away from slave camp and I also need to spend a day or two at my mailing address before I ship off to work again. Its a vicious cycle!

Sailor_chic said:
danodemotoman said:
Due to his being on a Monday did not try to schedule other enroute meet ups nor did I look at the ferry schedule (Port Townsend?). Anyone with a need to meet elsewhere and when can offer suggestions we may be able to accommodate.
Nicole has a schedule to keep and a lots of ground to ride back to FL so this ride event fits the schedule so to continue HER RIDE by ferry and east on US 20 over the Cascade Highway/North Cascade National Park/aka Washington Alps..

I wish I had more time to allocate to riding this area.  So much to see and so little time. I only have a certain amount of time away from slave camp and I also need to spend a day or two at my mailing address before I ship off to work again. Its a vicious cycle!

No worries, I understand. Was wondering for the many reasons you both mentioned.

I see that now. It would be nice to pick her up on the east side like Wintrop or Twisp and join in on the fun for awhile.

TimR said:
I see that now. It would be nice to pick her up on the east side like Wintrop or Twisp and join in on the fun for awhile.

Tim, I will be staying the night in Marblemount on the 8th. So I will be passing through Winthrop Tues (9th)morning and then taking Hwy 20 all the way to Tiger, and then south down to Hwy 41 into Post Falls. Looking to spend Tues night in Thompson Fall MT.
Would love to have you ride along :)

I will still be in town on the 9th. If we were still driving to Western KS for a reunion I would be leaving then. But my bride decided we should fly. So we are not leaving till Thursday.

The Marble Mount to Winthrop run is a great way to see the Cascades. Very popular with those who rides a motorcycle.

Course change.
From Olympia north on 101 deleting hwys WA 16/3/104

danodemotoman said:
Due to this being on a Monday did not try to schedule other enroute meet ups nor did I look at the ferry schedule (Port Townsend?). Anyone with a need to meet elsewhere and when can offer suggestions we may be able to accommodate.
Nicole has a schedule to keep and a lots of ground to ride back to FL so this ride event fits the schedule so to continue HER RIDE by ferry and east on Hwy 20 over the Cascade Highway/North Cascade National Park/aka Washington Alps..

If you guys want to see some cool sport bikes in action, I'll being running my GSXR at The Ridge Motorsports Park on Monday (and Saturday/tomorrow).  It's only 2 1/2 miles off of 101 just north of Shelton.  If so, shoot me a text at 253-224-9838, and I can tell you where to find where I'm set up in the paddock.  No admission but you'll have to sign a waiver at the gate to get into the paddock. 
1060 W. Eells Hill Rd, Shelton, WA

Joe

I'm looking at trying to add this route into a trip later in the year ... how much time do I need to budget for a proper ride from Port Angeles up to the top of Hurricane Ridge and back down?

Braz said:
I'm looking at trying to add this route into a trip later in the year ... how much time do I need to budget for a proper ride from Port Angeles up to the top of Hurricane Ridge and back down?

Probably less than 2 hours depending on traffic, photo stops in-between for the vista and a break at the top. It's not long and you can skip or ride past most areas with the rest break still and get it all in far quicker.

We are meeting at 9 AM first for breakfast in Lacy near Olympia WA at Denny's restaurant:
108 COLLEGE STREET SE, LACEY, WA 98516
Exit 109 off I-5

https://goo.gl/maps/Fu7PXEEniQR2

Hey Dan and Nicole, sorry have to bail on the ride. Last minute meeting came up which I can not miss.  :'(  Looks like the weather is clearing up too after the previous day's showers at the end of the ride. Have a great time! Look forward to some pictures from Hurricane Ridge!

Robert

Some pics from Nicole's 2nd visit and ride to Hurricane Ridge, Olympic Nat'l Park.

Cushman Dam along Hood Canal

Visitor Center Port Angeles

Up @ Hurricane Ridge, clouds but little view of the aswesome peaks

I would be impressed and somewhat scared if you could remember everything you saw while in our neighborhood. :)