• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ride in the Sierra + Truckee RTE - June 11 - North CA

Wandrng

Just a nerd who rides
A ride in California's beautiful central Sierra Mountains hosted by Tim Hardee. These scenic and twisty roads are pure heaven for motorcycle riders.

We'll work our way from Lincoln to Hwy 49, up and around to Hwy 89 then back into Truckee for lunch. Have you been to " full belly deli" in Truckee? It sounds good and has good reviews.

Heading back down the Sierras along side Hwy 80 to Hwy 20, Finishing up on back roads around Grass Valley to Lincoln.

Joins us for a ride from rolling hills & oaks, to mountain passes & pines, and back again.

Kickstands up at 9:00AM (meet at 8:00AM for breakfast)
Kim's Country Kitchen at 537 G Street, Lincoln CA. 95648  [MAP]

Lunch when we arrive at:
Full Belly Deli in Truckee, CA
Website - [MAP]

COG Event Details page with optional registration

Note: when we say Hwy in the Sierras what that really means it twisty two lane roads.
5_49_HDR2.jpg

This ride planned and run by Tim Hardee, SacCOG and COGSW

Outstanding. Here ya go CA folks complaining about nothing on the schedule. Get out there and meet some fine folks. Thanks for posting it up Keith.  :great: :motonoises:

Sounds and Looks to be a great ride! Been on many of those roads up there! It will be FUN!!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

FTB530 said:
Had planned this one to be my first COG ride. Maybe next year.

You're making me sad.  :??:

But there is time to run out for a new Connie, do the break-in and still join us.  Heck, start the 600 mile break in on the ride. We'll wait for you at the next junction.

But seriously, that you're off your pretty green 2015 through no fault of yours really sucks. Hopefully you'll find a way to get riding and join us soon.

There's going to be plenty of sweepers and twisties for everyone

Getting a new connie isn't a problem, but riding one armed is, shoulder heals up I will be shopping again.

Keith - Is there a route laid out? It would be nice to have some meet up options.

jp

FTB530 said:
Getting a new connie isn't a problem, but riding one armed is, shoulder heals up I will be shopping again.

How is the healing going? All good?

JPavlis_CA said:
Keith - Is there a route laid out? It would be nice to have some meet up options.

Hey Jim,

Tim sent over this link to the planned ride map

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/161838

it's interactive, animated and scaleable - should do the trick.  I don't think every little road is set in stone and may vary slightly.

Clicky the mapy for bigger

WANDRNG said:
FTB530 said:

How is the healing going? All good?
Saw a surgeon today, he wants me to do four weeks physical therepy to loosen up and then surgery,two tendens torn 90%, told me expect to be out of work for 6-8 months. Gonna be long boring year for me.

That's slick. The Map. Not FTB's post. That sucks buddy. Do what ya gotta do though right?

Old Man on a Connie said:
That's slick. The Map. Not FTB's post. That sucks buddy. Do what ya gotta do though right?

Yea , have to look at it as I am still above ground,will ride later.
I have ridden all of the roads on the planned ride and they are all fun,EH maybe not I-80 so much, have fun guys.

Thanks for map link, Keith, but after looking at it, I'm thinking I'm not going to make this ride. It would be about 540 miles for me and that's a bit much for a day ride at this point. I was hoping the route was going to be south of 80.

Next time.

FTB530 said:
Saw a surgeon today, he wants me to do four weeks physical therepy to loosen up and then surgery,two tendens torn 90%, told me expect to be out of work for 6-8 months. Gonna be long boring year for me.
Dude, brutal. Sorry. But make sure you do it right and heal well.

FTB530 said:
Yea , have to look at it as I am still above ground,will ride later.
I have ridden all of the roads on the planned ride and they are all fun,EH maybe not I-80 so much, have fun guys.
Cage over Saturday morning and have some breakfast with us at Kim's Country Kitchen.

JPavlis_CA said:
Thanks for map link, Keith, but after looking at it, I'm thinking I'm not going to make this ride. It would be about 540 miles for me and that's a bit much for a day ride at this point. I was hoping the route was going to be south of 80.

Next time.
Tim did a good job with the interactive map!
Fully understand. It's even a long day when starting from Modesto. Definitely next time jp.

I called Kim's to inform them that a possible large group is coming in June 11th, I also called full belly deli and told them the same. I thought after leaving Kim's, our first stop will be Downieville, then Truckee for lunch. After we get back into Auburn, riders can go straight out to I80 instead of riding back into Lincoln.

Tim 

Sounds great.

Downieville might be a great place for COGgers coming over from places like Reno or Tahoe to meet up with the group as it reduces their early AM travel time.

I'm looking forward to this ride!

The weather is looking pretty perfect for this ride on June 11th

Clear and sunny the whole route

Lincoln at 9am:  70 degrees
Truckee at lunch: 70 degrees
Auburn at end of ride: 83 degrees

(and nice an reasonably cool in the valley for the ride to homes)

Ok SouthWest COGgers - the Ride the Sierra event is tomorrow along with food stop in Truckee CA at full belly deli

The weather is holding with mild temps and no liquid.

So now that you know if you have major responsibilities or not for the weekend, it's not to late to just show up at:
Kim's Country Kitchen at 537 G Street, Lincoln CA. 95648  [MAP]
8:00 AM for breakfast
9:00 AM ish for starting the ride

You can also meet us at Full Belly Deli in Truckee for lunch
Full Belly Deli in Truckee, CA
Website - [MAP]

COG Event Details page

I went on this ride as my first COG event. It was 275 awesome miles. However, after taking our stop in Downieville where everyone (I think) shed a layer of clothing and 15 minuter later the temp dropped into the mid 60's and with my wet cooling vest I was freezing cold until we stopped. I'll let someone else tell why we stopped but it wasn't because of temp. And that is the only thing that wasn't perfect. A really great ride with very nice people that I throughly enjoyed spending my day with.

I will most certainly ride with them again. Thanks for a great day.

Michael

I hope everything was ok with the stop, nice meeting all of you at breakfast and thanks to Keith and the others who answered all of my questions ,sure did suck that I couldn't go along for the ride .

A big Thanks! and a huge Well Done! to Tim DumbA$$ for a great ride in the Sierras.

It started with a good breakfast at Kim's CC in Lincoln. Tasty big portions all around. FTB530... glad you could join us for at least a little convo and chow.

Off in to the meandering rural roads of the foothills with 8 participants on 7 bikes. Plenty nice tree lined roads zig-zagging gradually leading upwards to the Sierras.

After transitioning to the mountains from the foothills and the road changes that go with it, we made a short stop in Downieville, a quaint little place in Sierra County on the Yuba River.
_mg_3085.jpg

We continued to ride the beautiful and fun roads of the Sierras with all their twists, sweeps and ups & downs. We did make one more unplanned stop... we had stop and go back to get the smart phone belonging to our glorious leader after watching it bounce out of it's handlebar holder, bounce off his hand & forearm ass he tried to snatch out of mid-air and finally bounce down the tarmac finishing of with the graceful slide of a hockey puck whizzing across slickness to the net. But NO SCORE!  Still turned on, no broken glass. Tough. (this is story Deepsea referenced)

After a few laps around a couple of different roundabouts in Truckee, which I think was just leader DumbA$$ messing with us (not), we arrived at Full Belly Deli for more food.  My sandwich was awesome along with craft brewed Rootbeer.  Tim appeared to be resigned to the normalcy of his food being over mustardized as I guess this is a common occurrence in his culinary life, much to the amusement of his daughter (who joined the ride as passenger, on her birthday no less, Happy Birthday E).

Then back on the road, Donner Pass Blvd to be exact. More curves more elevation changes (it is the mountains after all) on our way back down Auburn where we waived goodbye as we broke off one by one for home.

I love to ride motorcycles and it's a great experience to share with like minded folks.

I t was great to meet and ride with you all. (names avoided as I didn't ask about mentioning them)

Again thanks to Tim (DumbA$$) Hardee for planning and leading!
Thanks to Buddy Scheer for his support.

I apologize for not snapping as many photos of this great trip as I should have. I will improve (probably).

Looks like a great ride through some beautiful countryside!! Glad you all had a great time!!

:motonoises:  :great:

Awesome Job SWCOG Cent Cal! So very happy to see some action in the golden bear state! Thank you Keith for posting and Dumba$$ for suggesting it. Get involved folks. This just happened! What's next? :great: :beerchug: :motonoises: