• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ride the Ribbon

SidecarKen

This year we are changing the Ribbon ride to Baker City. Last weekend we rode down and checked out motels in the area. We found a couple motels that are promising. At one motel there is a restaurant with a banquet room they would serve us in for free! however it was a bit more spendy for rooms rates. they do have an area where we can all set together and eat. in the restaurant. there is a truck stop to eat meals, a little diner that serves breakfast and a pizza hut all in two blocks. Baker has declared itself a common sense sanctuary city in response to governor browns lockdown mandates, for peoples mental and economic health they are more open than the rest of the state. The Ribbon will be the first weekend of september. I will get it posted on the calendar as soon as the motel is decided. New roads to ride!

Hotel: Oregon Trail Motel & Restaurant Contact: (541) 523-5844 Address: 211 Bridge St, Baker City, OR 97814.
I heard this motel/restaurant has low prices and good reviews.

I have submitted this event for the calendar. Sorry it took me so long to get it posted as I had an unexpected trip back to Michigan.
We rode down to Baker City and looked at several Motels in the area. The management at the Rodeway Inn seems very accommodating. I looked at several rooms at different motels, this seemed like the best choice. For this informal meet and greet we will be at the Rodeway Inn Friday afternoon.
Coming home from the trip we rode on a forest service rode. Nice road I imagine once the snow melted, downed trees cleared, and the rocks removed. It wasn't quite open when we traversed it!

Hotel: Oregon Trail Motel & Restaurant Contact: (541) 523-5844 Address: 211 Bridge St, Baker City, OR 97814.
I heard this motel/restaurant has low prices and good reviews.
they may have some good reviews, but it is a small place and would not be able to accommodate all of us. some of the pictures look unappealing(safer choice of a word). it is not in a good location for our needs. The motel that has been chosen for this event is centrally located, and has room for all of us. It is near a restaurant that can seat us all that is within walking distance from our lodgings. There is also a Safeway across the street that we can walk to if someone is so inclined to do a snack run. I hope that everyone coming to the meet and greet can at least be on the same side of town. There is a cheaper motel across the street from us but when I went in to view the room, the first thing i saw was a spider and flies. the second thing, spider web in the corner full of bugs!

Just renewed for 2021. Been hiding in the shadows for the first/last year.

Ride the Ribbon is in my back yard this year, how cool is this!!! My wife and I live about 20 minutes NW from Baker in Haines. Home of the Haines Steakhouse ($$$) but great food!
We won’t be staying in town but we would love to meet up and ride.
Let me know how this works as this is my first event.
Thanks
Jason Brandt

Just renewed for 2021. Been hiding in the shadows for the first/last year.

Ride the Ribbon is in my back yard this year, how cool is this!!! My wife and I live about 20 minutes NW from Baker in Haines. Home of the Haines Steakhouse ($$$) but great food!
We won’t be staying in town but we would love to meet up and ride.
Let me know how this works as this is my first event.
Thanks
Jason Brandt
The more the merrier! Come on over. we usually hang out at the motel in the evenings telling tales of previous rides and planning who goes which direction the next day. This is an informal gathering, so come, get acquainted with the others and get an idea of what is going on, . Saturday night we usually all eat together. Is the Haines Steakhouse really$$$? Thats kinda spendy. Some will arrive on Thursday. The majority of us gets there on Friday. We look forward to seeing you!

I am not going to make it to the Ribbon this year. Meredith has a family friend who's 100th Birthday party is that weekend. We are going to the shindig.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Hope you all have a grand time.
Woodie

Well, gang. Do we want to do a banquet at the motel? Brats, beans, salads....I'm up for it. Safeway is across the street so I can pick things up there instead of hauling it. I kinda like sitting around hangin out and eating in a informal setting. No breakfast though. majority rules! 🌭🌭🌭🌭🌭

I am not going to make it to the Ribbon this year. Meredith has a family friend who's 100th Birthday party is that weekend. We are going to the shindig.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Hope you all have a grand time.
Woodie
We'll make sure your ears burn like never before. 😈

Well, gang. Do we want to do a banquet at the motel? Brats, beans, salads....I'm up for it. Safeway is across the street so I can pick things up there instead of hauling it. I kinda like sitting around hangin out and eating in a informal setting. No breakfast though. majority rules! 🌭🌭🌭🌭🌭
If you're offering to cook, I'll pay money and eat the result.

I hope everyone enjoyed it in the past and that we dan continue doing it this year. I enjoy it much more in a relaxed picinic type style. So I have 5 pro picinic brats so far.!!!

The more the merrier! Come on over. we usually hang out at the motel in the evenings telling tales of previous rides and planning who goes which direction the next day. This is an informal gathering, so come, get acquainted with the others and get an idea of what is going on, . Saturday night we usually all eat together. Is the Haines Steakhouse really$$$? Thats kinda spendy. Some will arrive on Thursday. The majority of us gets there on Friday. We look forward to seeing you!
Sorry for the delayed response. My wife and I have just returned from a 10 day, 4 state, 2800 mile, 2 up trip for our 25th anniversary.

There is a city park just down the street that has shade trees and tables. I believe they have grills available to cook on also. I’ll check on that this evening. Just an option.

The Haines Steakhouse is priced similar to any other steakhouse. The Prime Rib is my favorite. Well known for their chuck wagon salad bar, beans and cowboy bread rolls.

Thanks for the input. We have a grill, and the motel has chairs. and the way the motel sits we are in the shade. Most of us do not mix drinks and rides. And some people like a beer with supper. we can look at the park when we get there. The steak house could be an option on Sunday when we have a smaller number. I have a call into Rose, I did not see prices on the menu.

Thanks for organizing Kendra. I will also particpate in the parking-lot banquet. Let me know if you need help.
Andy

Hotel reservations and registration are complete. I just did a four-day ride out of Baker City in July, it was EPIC. See you all there.

I was all set to attend before my truck starting growling at me. It looks like I'm going to spend the equivalent of a house payment replacing the rear wheel bearings, so my fun money is going toward that. :(

I keep trying to cancel my registration, but some kind of internal error is preventing it.

I was all set to attend before my truck starting growling at me. It looks like I'm going to spend the equivalent of a house payment replacing the rear wheel bearings, so my fun money is going toward that. :(

I keep trying to cancel my registration, but some kind of internal error is preventing it.
We will miss you Charlie. Most people don't want to be cancelled. But, you have been...canceled.❌
Maybe you can head this way some other time and we can figure out a couple roads to ride.

Does anyone from the greater Puget Sound region want to ride to Baker City together?
Let me know and depending on the group we can set a time and place to meet.
Andy

Thank for the great pics. I am going to have to make Ride the Ribbon next year for sure.

Thanks again to Kendra and Brian for all they did to put on this great event. And to Dale and Susan for their help (and the ride to the dam!!)
Andy

Cool pics y'all. Thanks for sharing them with us flat landers. Here in Houston we had early morning showers and lightening show, but by 11:00am it cleared off enough for us to get in about 200 miles today around the NW side of town. One of our favorite watering holes, Thirsty Pelican, was closed when we were up that way. That was a bummer, but we found a workaround.

Glad the weather cooperated on your end and the trip was a success. Cheers, AB

Here's a few pics.

Friday, heading over with AndyN.

AM-JKLVhwKPkVknfWiBnCIRwA3Skbk-cs1kQzYTjzudPACWMb6o-NAgtg4HE9q1Q9MHAkEegJRD5RYgmQLXo6Wet14j8dzhI-WzInKI8j7BghMja-YHb7wVTFhXeMIWreZEIjqE1WoNRx5dzSNYk7PrDadRX9Q=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLUVbeqDHxp04T9sGU7aEN3g1uSNBQhLmf31HPoQnj3ZwowWUkTu35ROXsLfLF2PZ_2cSmSb99DKcuS7yZrhp-qNmJ63KBDg3rTWZEYXHgSg8hgtaV3dX9yE8siMs6BHqeo3zfWXQwl_EdOtgsiNcyv1Fw=w1280-h720-no

Along the Yakima River Canyon
AM-JKLWrpDd5FiyN3kI0yLjwiaobhsVJEZWELfWZejzVAJC-yjSAinhIX1dFaDT3ZZyqhlqTN3hkkbqeycDFthzuF_QwZtbAzruXfrEbLqlRbWsLQ59Pl8BFfj6MgkkfCnxoEgoY1HSguFeC1osyA5S_xoveRg=w1280-h720-no

On Saturday, I headed out with Jason and Dave. I don't know where he took us, but Jason was a wonderful tour guide. He took us out on roads I didn't know existed and gave us the local flavor with stories along the way.
AM-JKLVtpBiwdBUUBOwfTRre45Im4uexXESKmZJVHz3cIRdvK_rdilXVFJcFakh-B88OgsE95TGrTM5yGJ3d_UrlPCTTCBj-aSB3ThsMozyO7UMBr628OzEUfIknX5PtsAxZ2HtSQSsTgPRjU29HA6OfAeS6GQ=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLU1YPPjDY3b1AVNPd2-pwea-iV83A-CRa2gb_U365Z_BVBRwWvi8vb0qY6cw85kqgtGL8MAaRzZTPNLF3RLrLz1rlBWfhVbZTvNq6Z0kuZTIn_FkyLnPHh1WGuJNPDJz8Pc4KqM9qSSALUj_8jdNihoGQ=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLV7TnmRGZCIqBBYyPhYME2h7ZqdKY20zZGhc40rVUyw-pCD1539wruq1JvqPbZEkAlWgiIjJvySRe67HKdiQ73r96ypUHR7T4oIu1Ubzdsklo2_RZwJkO2uzAyV9UtOcemELv5gdFW65pbECOx5f_GNBA=w1280-h720-no

I started out with Jason and Dave in the morning, then we split and went different directions.
AM-JKLVlrVkPZKH4Moc6wxCLdAXSy6XTgk9OTNeFspcGHZKd3QeN6S12k6AAN0a2WBIi3PDp-ZFJSOhjwbwLqxjXjXtWRk0_am3-rj52nZ4ykpY8moiJQ4A-zZHtmCY-0pkalgyu2a8F2nvfqcSsX9qn7U61OQ=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLXNh_Mp0BfgLCpQ6pmJ0_KT41ds3A3XzT8wZhsGVk3J7KWiPCr0Tr49CeRfQM1AUBNdEGNrw4In5KWXhPmaYlohHjfb9fV22gQ4-kf-MFQpbJ7SkkwL52HdUyauqO5i_zvikCM9b3o-aUfjiUF6MrZU6w=w1280-h720-no

I left them and headed towards the Hells Canyon Dam. I had ridden in the area the previous weekend and during the RtR weekend, and was looking for something like this. Steep canyon walls (it is 2000 ft deeper than the Grand Canyon) and the Snake River flowing through it. Today, I found what I was looking for.
AM-JKLWIMEDnE5RG6S9wLijna_lpa2wxEAgrwFp6x7JW39ObxcWJ2fFhOFLaEKgLzGTla2EvrpAyZ1y-oTIiCie73yJmObco_7JHuuOvEnRsKrpS1254nNLnVHkRSMLLqs8Blb24p1QvvlGr2coPBH0yG_sEjQ=w1280-h720-no

The road follows the Snake River. As you can see, there's no guard rails. And the banks are steep. Whether the dropoff is 20 ft, or 200 ft, if the bike goes over the edge, it won't stop till it is swept away in the river.
AM-JKLWn8ExdEsdvgVsPLmWkkMd8Uclp0Hi_KrenS33Klh0s1YtiZWB1ol3ENviIJJLjmLMKExrD0O-W-z7ICHCbInunL7JOutHjmc3lF0W3xp5ZJ-iB9WrPvoNzVnyNgeVY0U6l95vkGHbw8UZzo-ODP6WlVQ=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLW34IBsonKE1yuMJ9xF3PqVVg6Yux5WsaW4z3ISAKIHjMBYcO7liwNy5DzlWjTc1TLUn8biovniikTUL1peRx-JfT0CQ-UBouegm5GGutSArGxKLWQIJ3Q4VI8XESL2aZGPp-LJKVemtOGtbEH3-fUOkQ=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLWrxoDAqWMaIORUY4VoSvzTE25q2Elcc9sPltUvEETH8LPF1hjKyCzW6pzsAOgGVF_1emug1sGzZcH4YWMYyW_KgYvc9oiHekQaa_Jv7GT8QBEySTgkfQHXc4SQFhb2vON5VPxlSartIQxwzR0U_XscYg=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLXkOGi2gfd3Zq-HZhhvw19sfHAXSTdcGKZRg_bLV1jAqpiqBGGee1WI-IEj-Rd-A30O6Bue-oxlq6vKJ1GHObTEEeExrn--kzzEdqUB-TJI3Do_elthgfWofA0eqbWM9PDsVUq4WxQ3RQ9xIuozP-SPDA=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLVLoCATaOKW78wmB7O9EIYMooyU7Ub3v_gcnrRJrr_aXZ03TBGZYP0KUpBaUMLNm-OPmqBK3tV4QQU5VpPFXrf36UwWWosoJc7X5JxoEICdJRfH5xtxTxEHZZhTEKQOANEq-DCB9GqCnicrR09PaBxVEQ=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLUl3ZgKqmZc4AViguediZGKrUdukxS4tJXW5Qe0sfxoy2EaRqZPk1WetKWsoNH7xEpM9kVFyPdSHDIYT2gW1R3YMQGMhpIUxjyXIE58NdbIap0UnjPW3g3-liAq30uFUL9Vc4hw5KRXC7HiOFyVcdLWxw=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLVWIyBGS-CKwJfgYysm1lXQhDRb-mJsJrguW_a0RSe6Jh44bNI2tWMaaaHTYQpbVhwljn-vjntCfB1OoYFGEjNKjYYrB6sf0ILKz1Mi8KuBMifNkgJNzW1V4G_V38kxVZI7P9d6Rigcu616l1CYdCObsg=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLVNoBLJBOly3BZYSKo2nMDifuBG-A8XoGBt6j0KOfpd7E6imY0z_8hnPI5hv54XN2i8BHcUkQbtK4bS3G9vXAvoc11DOqghp3d39UtGmhjokgccy8pCifhiBdKzFwOHD_QFTzriR-d7Vx_2xCagVdQ4sQ=w1280-h720-no

This is below the Hells Canyon dam looking down at the Snake River.
AM-JKLUJzFtObOGVWmjPAm475jsDEGr6trs_yFIa5QCdrRzyGblEavJAooAxEdyDf2ZV4U198awD4t8Fd93RcGtH5CcKzbT6QiwGkQGFvHCTgMpEHNO2jk04WNoNdVuDwz7S0YAjUQzigy2nB4j6SfpO6pGCsg=w1280-h720-no

There's some rafts about to make the trip down the river.
AM-JKLUOlYCjpVA6YtR1jwRZAti41i588b57WbZfsjN7iCWBHquLgtxY6IJ2cNh4GVojrZ5TGH26r4VQAtIYicrHl_dxR3hJzU21XBcPyBOJr4voS4_0OMXZJRFT3ReFZ3XwW3pbjE0W51H5yzthHmn1nQufDQ=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLUDisohoGn8tKwytUXq1hI3eHcHx2w24hm9dThtRc-Tf-KDYkiAzndmCfVJo_3w-bKvIAk2huUvYiX3J8MupjerV-8Z_moPLqq720wdO4FY7VtmvG3ehpyXxn7LzLwEfpB5Me5gzOvUjNEggeQffCfdNA=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLUj7iswBlceSrYn4AMxXQUxjEupRoYztBAD4yhqB8FxVEZPHWMxqtccpXwSYK6nUbqjgqlu_nqW-jJ-zuiJ4sDuOixdDmg2cgVUL0AfssfqlU9ulIaXookKWi5K84fWKDkyGTV7Yq-E2rf74vx_BDX-pQ=w1280-h720-no

AM-JKLV4YdY0aoBWc3qJBlO4ZPOcjvjVX-gGbLq5WPaDFf6uENvS1-hTLW2JqUbamol1eonbtzn2hDloZ8Gr3Qi9MQhiEa2aHjmVUD_NstfI-VdHnPlNL3oR5PaX2wHIKrdaBobgM59mOXmWHo4pkU7ImjBUlw=w1280-h720-no

As you can see, the road is just one fun curve after another.
AM-JKLWYhTd8P2R7V4eIBa7nuZorMgQlbv3uX2EB8EGZiMXQT2xCnlw2YjCh12OlrNpX1qmffjiIUJ3EDHklbc67U1iH42_-JLJDL_8WGTf2NjwhJths0GJHMgKEF0t6H-lbLLZw2le1wzV6JPsEvtMj1-qftw=w1280-h720-no

Leaving on Monday morning with AndyN.
AM-JKLUI6paGDfPWS2dhtv8xHRZ4WmeePsStqMAq2RU-8jB-brmx1NEkj4FUcXkAJCNUoRt473sncCe5KI2ecMVz9iL5R-oOKgxvPeon3pbYGbBuuyT0NVBs0Rpmb0O7LRlPE_cIfc_G3HWB4D0ebiXJFdiVzw=w1280-h720-no

Even the view from the freeway, was great.
AM-JKLX6y7Q0aVwdXJMg3LH0OchUgtxXMwzmlMGoiAxvXGcMD5qkdINn4NjURFn64hD-LnJ4r-oPRdSsbe1hqEXHnynwd4yCRm5ESCOugK5WPwYmyeg4coPMHtDPfai48aEp-eb7pSBk15H9tYHp2loOPb6jYA=w1280-h720-no

While the scenery and roads were great, probably the best part is making new friends, and catching up with old friends. Many thanks to those who organized the weekend and helped make it such a wonderful time.

Chris