• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ride the Ribbon

2linby

Just a friendly reminder that Ride the Ribbon is happening this Labor day weekend, so get your registration in by checking out this link.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&pre=yes&EventID=145553&message=yes&post=1

See ya there and then!  :)

If you can't make that link work, try this one
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=145553&mo=9&tDate={d%20%272011-09-01%27}

It's almost here. I'm leaving early saturday morning from Bothell, north of Seattle. Going through the volcanoes and Goldendale. From there on Condon and probably pick a route east and south. No stopping for garage sales unless it's motorcycle related.

motovetro said:
It's almost here. I'm leaving early saturday morning from Bothell, north of Seattle. Going through the volcanoes and Goldendale. From there on Condon and probably pick a route east and south. No stopping for garage sales unless it's motorcycle related.

According to my Wife all Garage sales are motorcycle related!  :-[  See you there!

So is the ride for this event on Saturday or on Sunday? I have no shot of getting there Friday night for a Saturday morning ride, but could possibly make it there Saturday mid afternoon... just trying to determine if that would be too late if folks are checking back out and leaving on Sunday morning...

Let me know, thanks!  :beerchug:

For you guys heading south around the east side of Mt. Hood, keep an eye on the fire situation.  Highway 26 has been closed several times over the last few days due to a fire near Warm Springs.

Just a heads up, since the weather is supposed to be worse for fires after tomorrow.

ZG said:
So is the ride for this event on Saturday or on Sunday? I have no shot of getting there Friday night for a Saturday morning ride, but could possibly make it there Saturday mid afternoon... just trying to determine if that would be too late if folks are checking back out and leaving on Sunday morning...

Let me know, thanks!  :beerchug:

There will be folks showing up on Friday evening/afternoon and on Saturday as well. So Rides are somewhat independent and free forming as riders show and come and go. For the most part there will be a somewhat organized ride on Saturday morning for those who make it in on Friday and another one on Sunday for everyone else. Local riding mostly around a couple hundred miles at the most.  The "ribbon" is really nothing more that riding the back roads of the area, of which there are plenty.

We try to have a general evening meal Saturday evening and Sunday evening, but do not (as a rule) make any "group reservations". 

IN the past we've had as little as 6 riders and as many as 40, so this is more of a "ride" than a "rally" but all in all the roads are great, the weather is suppose to be great and, well, COG members are fun to be with.

Hope you can make it.

I'll be there sometime Friday evening. :06:  It's midnight before and I'm currently trying to get my gps to find Grant County Fairground. :-[

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
I'll be there sometime Friday evening. :06:  It's midnight before and I'm currently trying to get my gps to find Grant County Fairground. :-[

Just north of Dreamers Lodge and souhtof the John Day river. I'll be leaving here, no HERE!, around 9-10am.  See ya there and then.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:

You don't need no stink'n GPS!  Just ride south, then east, then south, then east, until you get to John Day.  Then stop in the middle of town, and look around, the place is just not that big.    :nananana:

Alright!  Bike is ready, motel reservation is made, I should be there Saturday early evening.  8)

Guess we'll see where dinner is when I get there.  I'll be chasing a couple of new invites that way, one on a '09 C14, the other on some other bike.  The plan is to catch them somewhere between Maupin and John Day.  Whoo Hoo!

Took the Izee Paulina road to Prineville then over through Redmond and Sisters then took hwy 242 over the old McKenzie Hwy. Three Harley riders from Arizona pulled up to me at a stop light in Prineville and asked where I was going I told then over the old Mckenzie pass. They hadn't thought to go that way so they tagged along and let me say they were thrilled to find the place. 

Ride the Ribbon was a terrific event this year. Good turn out and lots of incredible roads!  I hope everyone had as great a time as I did!

If the powers to be allow me I'll be hosting it again next year. Thanks again all who made it there!  Great to see some odl faces again. Not that anyone is getting older......... ;)

About those old faces, some of them are no longer riding. We had some great stories at the Blue Mountain in years past. Still would be nice to see them show up in a cage just to hear some "true" tales. I rolled by the old place on the way out, it was a good spot for Labor day. After that I kept on through to Fossil, Antelope, breakfast in Maupin, crossed into Washington, Carson, and did FS 25 to Randle. There was a sportbike wreck on it, some were waiting for an ambulance. I am surprised they don't speed trap the area, it has been busy for the last decades on the weekend. That rough area makes me consider using the 12 miles of dirt on 23. Then off to Morton, Cayuse, Enumclaw and finally the slab home. Made it by 7pm, still daylight.

motovetro said:
About those old faces, some of them are no longer riding. We had some great stories at the Blue Mountain in years past. Still would be nice to see them show up in a cage just to hear some "true" tales. I rolled by the old place on the way out, it was a good spot for Labor day. After that I kept on through to Fossil, Antelope, breakfast in Maupin, crossed into Washington, Carson, and did FS 25 to Randle. There was a sportbike wreck on it, some were waiting for an ambulance. I am surprised they don't speed trap the area, it has been busy for the last decades on the weekend. That rough area makes me consider using the 12 miles of dirt on 23. Then off to Morton, Cayuse, Enumclaw and finally the slab home. Made it by 7pm, still daylight.

Roland is....."the man". Honesty has never been an issue with this guy, as he calls it as he see's it. And his vision is, well,...... superb! .... Good to see you again my "old" friend.

Made it home Monday night about 10:40pm.  I took a detour through Portland, where C1xRider was kind enough to help me swap my thoroughly used and abused front tire for one he didn't finish using before the matching rear tire was gone and he swapped out the set.  It was a great set of roads, and after getting the new-to-me tire on I headed west to and then north on 205 to 5, where heavy traffic moved toward Olympia.  I knew that wasn't the place to be, so I headed east on Wa508 to Morton, ate a sandwich from the grocery store and then went north on Wa7 to Elbe and beyond.  Caught 512 to 167 in Puyallup, then north to 18 and east to home in Covington. :a012:
Here's a video of me following Bob Pappalardo on Saturday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wF-9nVxZdk
  I had a great time, and as always COGers showed why they are the best people to hang out with.  I need to take this opportunity to correct an omission from my ramblings Saturday night at dinner.  I thanked everyone for coming on Bob's behalf, but I forgot the most important Thank You of all, and that was "Thank You Bob P. for putting it all together".  Thanks, Bob.  I had a good time.

Good to hear you made it home (eventually), Charlie.  So how did that radial feel after riding all weekend on a bias ply? 

After all those great roads we took from John Day to PDX, I'm ready to do that run again!  8)

Also liked the video, but I don't think the camera handles the wind noise very well where it's mounted.  Say, did you get any footage of the snow storm (apple moths)?

The front tire feels pretty good.  The Bridgestones are super grippy, but they are also kind of bouncy.  The Michelin rolls into the corners nicely, but requires more pressure on the inside bar to keep it on track through a corner.  That may change as I wear the flat spot to a round shape, and we've got some warm weather coming up to help with that.  I figured I would run the tire to its end and see how it works.  The Bridgestone on the rear is a known entity to me, so I only have to focus on a different front tire's tendencies.  I have noticed when the weather is cool and the tire is not up to temp it slips the tiniest bit as it takes a set into the corners, but it's very slight.  I'll gradually push it harder and see how it does in different conditions, but it won't surprise me if I go back to the BT45.  That is the only front tire I've never felt one bit of slip from on dry pavement.  I'll have to see how this tire does turning into the gas station tomorrow morning.  That corner is about 1.5 miles from my house, and it's not enough distance to adequately warm up an Avon Storm or Dunlop 701 for a peg-dragging turn.  The Bridgestone seems to require about five revolutions, but that may just be the requirement to get enough speed to test the traction. ;D
  I thought I was going to get the butterflies, but my battery died about five minutes into our day.  This was my first weekend with the camera, and I learned the battery is good for about two hours between charges.  That's the same amount of time I get from an 8gb micro SD, and I filled one up Saturday.  Now I know I need to have a battery ready for each card I want to use.  Between that and my phone going dead, I think it's time I came up with a weather-tight plug-in spot for USB cables.  The microphone in the camera leaves a lot to be desired.  When we were in camp I shot about one minute's worth of not much, and if you turn the volume up all the way you can hear some mumbling but not make out what is being said. ::)  Maybe I was covering it with my hand. :-[  I'll have to look to see where it is.  The video quality is pretty good, though, and I think I can finally pull some stills from video and get decent pictures. 8)

I took a few photos while I was in John Day and the surrounding area.  I put them in a photobucket album.  Here's a link to the album, plus a teaser photo.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/COG/Ride%20The%20Ribbon%202011/

Charlie,

As your first RVV, "Ride Vid Victim". Thanks for posting. Although this was one of the straightest parts of the route we took it was fun dodging the wet cow dung adn of course the live cows!

I figure in a couple hundred thousand miles you will have the video game down pat......  Just let me know.  8)

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
The front tire feels pretty good.  The Bridgestones are super grippy, but they are also kind of bouncy.  The Michelin rolls into the corners nicely, but requires more pressure on the inside bar to keep it on track through a corner.  That may change as I wear the flat spot to a round shape, and we've got some warm weather coming up to help with that.  I figured I would run the tire to its end and see how it works.  The Bridgestone on the rear is a known entity to me, so I only have to focus on a different front tire's tendencies.  I have noticed when the weather is cool and the tire is not up to temp it slips the tiniest bit as it takes a set into the corners, but it's very slight.  I'll gradually push it harder and see how it does in different conditions, but it won't surprise me if I go back to the BT45.  That is the only front tire I've never felt one bit of slip from on dry pavement.  I'll have to see how this tire does turning into the gas station tomorrow morning.  That corner is about 1.5 miles from my house, and it's not enough distance to adequately warm up an Avon Storm or Dunlop 701 for a peg-dragging turn.  The Bridgestone seems to require about five revolutions, but that may just be the requirement to get enough speed to test the traction. ;D
  I thought I was going to get the butterflies, but my battery died about five minutes into our day.  This was my first weekend with the camera, and I learned the battery is good for about two hours between charges.  That's the same amount of time I get from an 8gb micro SD, and I filled one up Saturday.  Now I know I need to have a battery ready for each card I want to use.  Between that and my phone going dead, I think it's time I came up with a weather-tight plug-in spot for USB cables.  The microphone in the camera leaves a lot to be desired.  When we were in camp I shot about one minute's worth of not much, and if you turn the volume up all the way you can hear some mumbling but not make out what is being said. ::)  Maybe I was covering it with my hand. :-[  I'll have to look to see where it is.  The video quality is pretty good, though, and I think I can finally pull some stills from video and get decent pictures. 8)

I wouldn't stress test that front tire too much, it's pretty old, and old things don't handle stress like they once did.  ;)

That tire was laying around outside for at least 5 or 6 years after I removed it, so the rubber should be pretty hard.  I wonder if the difference in the turn in effort is due to the 120/70 vs. the 110/80 you were running?

As for the USB power for the camera, you can buy these 12VDC to USB adapters for a few bucks.  You could mount one somewhere in a water tight location, and power / charge the camera while you are riding.  That would be pretty easy to setup.

I think you're right about the tire being tired.  As soon as I scrubbed the outside layer off it quit misbehaving.  Thanks for the reminder about age.

Are these power thingies you speak of found at the local computer store, or the auto parts store?

OK.  I have seen one of those before.  I could get a few of them and figure out how to pull the guts and repackage them into something compact.  Thanks for the idea.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Another video from Oregon.  Following Bob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pAb7mxndDs

Nice!  I think that's one of the roads that was on my Sunday list, but went south with you and Dave instead.  I'll put that one on the list for the next time I'm in that area.

BTW, good work on the sound track.  :)

Damn!  Looks like you are following your grandma!  Next time tell me you have a video camera adn I'll try harder at being boring!  HA!  Thanks Charlie! I finally made "The You Tube"....... :truce:

Cattle guards!  Arrggghh!

Now I have an excuse for crawling up someone's pipes.  You always look so far out in front.  As for the soundtrack, I hope Joe Satriani isn't one of those guys who will try to cut my jimmies off for exposing people to his music. :-\

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Now I have an excuse for crawling up someone's pipes.  You always look so far out in front.  As for the soundtrack, I hope Joe Satriani isn't one of those guys who will try to cut my jimmies off for exposing people to his music. :-\

No no, the music was far better than the riding! Santriani is the bomb!  As to crawling up someones pipes, well... let me know next time and we'll see! HA!  ;)

C1xRider said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Another video from Oregon.  Following Bob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pAb7mxndDs

Nice!  I think that's one of the roads that was on my Sunday list, but went south with you and Dave instead.  I'll put that one on the list for the next time I'm in that area.

BTW, good work on the sound track.  :)

Yeah, that one was discussed Sunday morning, but Dave wanted to see something different.

Glad the music was to taste.  I figured anyone who sings about riding would be well received here.