• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

rider to rider communication system

What do you use for rider-to-rider communication? There as scads of bluetooth options out there and I have no experience with them. What works?

What do you use for rider-to-rider communication? There as scads of bluetooth options out there and I have no experience with them. What works?

Cardo and SENA seem to be the biggest players

Some swear by one, vs the other

I bought a SENA 20s for my wife and I to have an intercom. I can pair with other SENA devices

We’ve been happy with it
Good luck
Bob

The SENA 20s is an older model, I think it is limited to like 5 or 10 number of SENA devices it can link to

The newer model can connect to some ridiculous number like 200 or 500
I can’t imagine wanting to be able to talk to several hundred people whilst riding my motorcycle

The SENA 20B, purpose made for HJC I would recommend steering way clear.

Purportedly built on the 20S technology it just is not the same; software is corrupted so easily we do not change any settings on trips as the outcome is unpredictable or well is predictable actually - we have had to reflash the software at least 6 times in under a year each time from changing a setting on a trip.

For whatever reason the support from SENA on this product is also unlike the support I’ve received from my previous SENA products with less than informed support staff literally just reading off cards and limited real life scenarios. AND when needing to reflash software on a vacation not a single SENA ‘dealer’ (at least where we were at in eastern NY and western VT) was willing to do it - should this tell you something? Thankfully a motorcycle dealership came to our rescue.

Also look at the features you want too. Read carefully, inform yourself. My other SENA units you can take off from helmet to charge, not the 20B it is integrated to the helmet and cannot be taken off. Also the 20B you cannot passive charge (charge while using), my other older SENA units you can. So the 20B you must remember to charge when on a break or lunch otherwise it’s dead after about 10 or 11 hours - which sucks…

I hope I saved a few from the EXPENSIVE mistake we made. Stay clear SENA 20B HJC built-in communication device…

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I also use a Sena for whatever that's worth. :)

There are some questions you need to answer first to get what you really need.
  1. What do you want it for? Is this solely to talk to your wife while riding together? If so, you can get by very easily with one of the inexpensive non-name brand units sold on eBay. Just because they aren't "Sena" or "Cardo", doesn't mean they don't work.
  2. Do you plan to connect to other riders? If so, what do they use?
If all I wanted was to listen to music and hear my GPS routing, then I'd get one of the eBay units. Likewise, if it was only the passenger on my bike, I'd go that route. I know a group ride leader who bought two of those years ago. He uses one and loans the second one to the rider at the end of the group. He told me he's never had a problem with them.

When you get into riding with others, then things will drift towards the name brand units. BT headsets have two types of connections. One is proprietary like Sena to Sena or Cardo to Cardo. They are designed to connect easily and the other owner will know how to make his/hers work. But if you try to pair Sena to Cardo...then things get a little harder. There's a Universal Intercom Pairing feature...but few owners will know how to make that happen. Which is why if you're going to ride with a group and everyone else is using BT to communicate while riding...get that name brand. After determining the name brand, then look to see what features and price you can afford.

I've learned also that just because others have BT headsets, doesn't mean they want to pair up with you. Some just want to listen to music. Others don't want to mess with the pairing process.

Chris

I have the older Sena SMH10B unites. They will only connect with a total of 4 units. I am ok with that. My wife on back and can connect with our son on a different bike. Most of the time he is listening to music. If I am by myself I can make phone calls or listen to music and turn by turn from the GPS. The batteries still last a full days riding on intercom.

Just after I posted this my son came home and said his intercom battery failed. It is swollen as many will. We found a replacement for less than $20. Three screws and a plug to disconnect. Hope to have it working by next weekend.

Last edited: