• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Risers - What's the benefit

Jorge

OK... just wondering, those who installed risers on their Connies, what benefit did you see?
I'm very interested to hear from riders who started out without them, and installed them after a while. Any who are proportionately like me would be great to hear from you.
I'm 6'0" tall, 32" inseam and have fairly long arms at just over 76" wingtip-wingtip... I mean fingertip-fingertip.    Thanks!!
Jorge

WOW Jorge those are some ape hangers.  :nananana:
I have a set of 1 3/8 (I think) on one of my bikes.  It is set up primarily as my LD bike.  The riser's do bring you into a slightly more upright seating position.  They do relieve some back and wrist pain.  Proper riding style will do the same thing.  I dont even notice them not being on my 86.

I've ridden mine with and without the risers.  I'm your height, but my wingspan is not as wide as yours.  They definitely help to sit more upright.  For me, that allows to take pressure off my lower back.  I've got lower back problems, so it's a plus for me.  it's more useful when I do distances.  I use my bike for commuting a lot.  For that, given I'm not on the bike more than a half hour to 45 minutes, I could take them or leave them.
Right now I've got a new ZRX front end and running the stock ZRX handlebars.  They are significantly lower than stock C10.  I'm noticing it on my back, but otherwise don't mind the ride/position.  Take that with a grain of salt, cause I also ride sport bikes.

My 2001 came with risers and I tried riding with them for a while. Then I tried without and sold the risers. I even use the shorter '86 bars and a lower windshield sometimes.

6'3", long body, not so long legs. Seems the bike was designed for my shape.

Some people like the upright seating and risers move in that direction. My '01 came with Heli bars, and th position I ended up with is pretty close to the stack bars on my '88. I'm debating cutting down the vertical sections so I can lower them a bit more. Personally I like the leaning forward type of riding. Sitting upright is for cruisers.

I had risers on my 03. It made it more comfortable for longer trips. But it does take away the cornering feel just slightly.  But you get use to it in short order. I can say that my 86 could really use a set of risers (being 1" shorter than all the other C10 OEM bars). But I want to keep the stock look as much as possible. So I just don't put major miles on the old girl.

Guys... thanks for the comments. I've been reading them, and I really appreciate them.
My issue is back pain. Upper back just inside shoulder blades and a little bit in lower back. Upper back caused by slouching (according to chiropractor and I think he's right) and lowed back just because.
I'm seriously considering them although I like the slight forward lean. I suppose I can always taken them off if they don't work or I don't like them.
next question: which ones to get?
I see several different sets from $53 to $113 on Ebay to the ones Murph's sells for $92... sometimes one can have too many choices. Any recommendations? Reasons?
Thanks!!  Again.
Jorge

GeorgeRYoung said:
My 2001 came with risers and I tried riding with them for a while. Then I tried without and sold the risers. I even use the shorter '86 bars and a lower windshield sometimes.

6'3", long body, not so long legs. Seems the bike was designed for my shape.

+1

Im' 6'1"" with 34" inseam.  Both of my Connies came with risers.  I took them off since they put too much weight on my back when I sit upright.  Then I put 86 bars on and it feels just right.  I can stiff arm and get out out of the wind and relieve the pressure on my back.  The shorter bars also reduced buzz big time.  I use my bike for touring mostly with mostly 7 to 12 hr days.   

Hold off and wait for Steve to make his handlebar adapters available. They combine rubber isolator mounts with tubular bar adapters. Then you can get any bars you want, or even adjustable bars.

WillyP said:
Hold off and wait for Steve to make his handlebar adapters available. They combine rubber isolator mounts with tubular bar adapters. Then you can get any bars you want, or even adjustable bars.

are the bar adapters from steve yet available?
thx.

I was having problems with the angle on my left wrist, and decided to get a set of risers.

I got Murph's, and could not be happier.  I've got a 2012 C14.

The installation is really, really easy.  It's as easy as removing a few bolts, lift up the handlebar, slide the riser in, and install the new, provided bolts.  No re-working of any of the cabling or anything.

It changed the angle just enough that I am no longer having problems with my wrist either.

UD