• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Road 5 gt question

strum

I guess I need schooling  here . Anyone know why the sipes are reversed front to rear? On the front tire they are V d toward the rear and the rear they are V d toward the front

Attachments

• Rd 5 GT.png
    Rd 5 GT.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 106
It's all about design to squish the water out of the way of the treads travel...Saw a cool animation of it one time but can't recall, if you think of it and visualize water on the road you will get it. I had a pre-release set of those to test on a Bandit 1250 and really liked them, rode in rain and light snow, they stuck good. Not sure of longevity as the bike went to a new home.

The front tire needs the traction for braking and the rear needs more traction in the acceleration direction. And water deflection in those modes for front and rear too.

Thanks I guess i outa been able to figure that out lol. but it would look better if they wen the same way :beerchug:

The first tires I put on the bike that had that type of tire tread I thought the front was installed backwards.

Bob_C_CT said:
The first tires I put on the bike that had that type of tire tread I thought the front was installed backwards.

Yeah I picked up a set today and I was looking at them on my bench thinking somtingwong.

If you worry about the aesthetics of a tire in stasis...you may need professional help. Or its a loooooong winter. :))

ZXtasy said:
If you worry about the aesthetics of a tire in stasis...you may need professional help. Or its a loooooong winter. :))

Yes you got me there.  They look odd to me stacked on the bench but On the bike ill never notice.

I read an article once that talked about how the internal construction (belting) was different on front/backs because the torque/braking loads of the rear/front.  I guess tires are more complicated than just "black, round, and rubber."

Or it could be the tires in the picture was not taken with the directional arrows in the same orientation.  ;)

The arrows are correct.
If you look at a pair of any motorcycle tires, the tread pattern will be similar. {direction of tread pattern looks wrong}

Ride safe, Ted

Shizzle said:
Or it could be the tires in the picture was not taken with the directional arrows in the same orientation.  ;)

I knew someone would ask that very question. Ted already answered .

connie_rider said:
The arrows are correct.
If you look at a pair of any motorcycle tires, the tread pattern will be similar. {direction of tread pattern looks wrong}

Ride safe, Ted

As much as I hate to, I agree with Ted. Front always appears backwards.

Now just don't tell Ted I agreed with him.  :a102:

Just Cliff said:
As much as I hate to, I agree with Ted. Front always appears backwards.

Now just don't tell Ted I agreed with him.  :a102:

OMG !!! Yes please don't tell Ted he was correct.

strum said:
I put them on yesterday  and wouldn't you know it. Rain today so not riding . :( 

Rain is where the PR5s should shine gear up to stay dry be aware that no matter what tire you are on traction is limited in the wet ride safe and get out and test their wet weather capability.
With the right gear,  "nobody likes to be wet and cold" I actually find a kind of zen riding in the rain.

GrantE said:
strum said:
I put them on yesterday  and wouldn't you know it. Rain today so not riding . :( 

Rain is where the PR5s should shine gear up to stay dry be aware that no matter what tire you are on traction is limited in the wet ride safe and get out and test their wet weather capability.
With the right gear,  "nobody likes to be wet and cold" I actually find a kind of zen riding in the rain.

I'm not a fan of rain riding but I hear you on the Zen thing. That said, I wouldn't take a freshly mounted, not scrubbed in set of tires out in the rain.

Yeah . No . lol.  Ill ride in the rain if I have to but im not a fan of it and like SteveJ said I aint taking a new set out in it .  Im a wimp  :D
By the way its a nasty day up here in north ga . Bikes  on the lift, I have a fire lite,and a cup of hot coffee.
  Not only have I been working on tires . I also have been doing a lot of maintenance and cleaning. Its not spotless but it is pretty dang clean.

Michael said:
There's a Canadian motorcycle gear company called Fortnine (F9) that makes a lot of great videos on YouTube, I follow their channel, good stuff.  They did one on motorcycle tire construction that answers this question very well.

Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNSMdQtn1SuFzCZjfK2C7dQ/featured

Video
Best Sport, Adventure & Touring Tires of 2019 - Motorcycle Tire Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K9U7W_U9gA

Cheers,
I agree.  Very good channel! :beerchug: