• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rocky Mountain Roll Call 2016 National

denver6

Scooter
With less than a month to go, I thought I would ask for a roll call of 2016 National attendees.

Who is going and how are you getting there?

I am leaving Denver Thursday 6/16 and meeting OMC in Albuquerque. From there, we are heading Southeast then East along the I-20 corridor. We'll try to stay off the slab where we can. Plan to arrive in Helen sometime Sunday afternoon. We'll see some of the sights of the Southwest while heading that way.  :motonoises:

I plan to stop by Nashville on the way home and meet up with my youngest son. We'll ride back to Denver where he will have a 10 day vacation before riding back to Nashville. I tried to get him to join us for the National, but for some reason he really wants to spend as much time as he can at home with family and friends.  :-[

What are your plans?  >:D

Denver6,

I am leaving Phoenix on June 7th to ride Utah and Colorado before meeting
OMC in Albuquerque as well.  If you are taking 25 south, maybe we could meet in
Walsenburg on the 16th for the ride to ABQ.  If you have another route in mind,
let me know.   

Jet Fixer,

I was planning to stay off of I-25 as much as possible, so I was thinking 285 and maybe even swinging though Taos just to keep it interesting. How about meeting up somewhere on 160 like Alamosa or Fort Garland? Then head south from there?

Sounds perfect.  I'm all for avoiding the slab whenever possible too.
I'll PM you with contact info and we'll make a plan.  :great:

Mark.  Sorry. No comms on my end.  I've tried both Sena, and Scala.
I run short windscreens and Aria helmets.  To much wind noise.
Above  60 mph, no one can understand me and I can't hear a thing.
Wish I'd found a way to make them work. 

Jet Fixer said:
Mark.  Sorry. No comms on my end.  I've tried both Sena, and Scala.
I run short windscreens and Aria helmets.  To much wind noise.
Above  60 mph, no one can understand me and I can't hear a thing.
Wish I'd found a way to make them work.
Watch for hands, fingers and feet then  :) :beerchug:

Leaving 6/18 and driving to Arkansas over the next two days (trailering my Connie and Sierra's R3 - so I don't think I'll need to swap out my tires before the rally).
Will be hanging in Hot Springs for the 20th, and then over to Helen on the 21st (Tuesday).
We will be staying until Friday AM in Helen and then will meander back this direction.

notsluggo said:
Leaving 6/18 and driving to Arkansas over the next two days (trailering my Connie and Sierra's R3 - so I don't think I'll need to swap out my tires before the rally).
Will be hanging in Hot Springs for the 20th, and then over to Helen on the 21st (Tuesday).
We will be staying until Friday AM in Helen and then will meander back this direction.
Finally get to meet the better half? I better get a haircut and shave that day. ;)

Old Man on a Connie said:
notsluggo said:
Finally get to meet the better half? I better get a haircut and shave that day. ;)
Nope - Sierra is my 28 y/o daughter.  SWMBO will not be joining (again).  Daughter is a school teacher, so she has the summers off.

notsluggo said:
notsluggo said:
Nope - Sierra is my 28 y/o daughter.  SWMBO will not be joining (again).  Daughter is a school teacher, so she has the summers off.
Good for her. The other better Half  :)) I shall mind my P's and Q's. Looking forward to C'ing you again. I will also be checking my grip heaters daily  ;)

Do you guy's have helmet comms? I've got Sena. Looking forward to the ride out.

OMC - I have a Sena unit. I won't talk your ear off, but I do like being able to call for a bio break when necessary. And discuss where to eat lunch.

I just upgraded all our helmets from Scala Q2 to Sena 10S.  Very happy with the change / functionality.  Haven't tried the all-person-intercom yet, but will this weekend.

Bill - are you sure you don't want to change your tires before the National? They looked pretty toasted to me. There is still time.

denver6 said:
Bill - are you sure you don't want to change your tires before the National? They looked pretty toasted to me. There is still time.
Really?  You were thinking there were close to shot?  I put another 200 miles on this weekend (with Nga / Sierra).  I'll give 'em a look when I go back outside later today.
I've never even pulled the wheels off - so I am unaware of how to do that.
Planning a KLR ride this coming Saturday, and Sierra wants to do Deer Creek again next weekend too.  Time is rapidly running out!  This might have to be a week-night thing.

Man I'm jealous of you guys!  Would be such a kick in the pants.  But just not in the cards this year.

Not to derail the conversation, but I have to ask...
How is the KLR on the tarmac?  Ever since the "story worth living" movie, then watching the "Long way Round/Down" movies, I've been really thinking about adding an adventure bike to the harem for going camping and fly fishing.  I don't know if I want to go the heavier route of the BMW, or stick to a lighter bike.  But my concerns on the KLR would be how it travels on the highway.  Is it remotely comfortable?  Can it hang with interstate speeds? (70+)

Graphicjunkie said:
Not to derail the conversation, but I have to ask...
How is the KLR on the tarmac?  Ever since the "story worth living" movie, then watching the "Long way Round/Down" movies, I've been really thinking about adding an adventure bike to the harem for going camping and fly fishing.  I don't know if I want to go the heavier route of the BMW, or stick to a lighter bike.  But my concerns on the KLR would be how it travels on the highway.  Is it remotely comfortable?  Can it hang with interstate speeds? (70+)

Yes - it can handle 70+.  But - and this is just a personal preference - I try to keep rides of that nature brief on the KLR .  Not to say I've not done it (Parker to Boulder?) - because it'll handle it just fine.
I upgraded my windshield to a Madstad adjustable and am super happy with it on or off road.
I've been wanting to trailer it up to Lake City for a 2.5 day weekend involving some camping, the alpine loop (Cinnamon and Engineer Passes), some more camping, and then home.  Sure, I could ride it up there, but when I have an easy-to-hook up trailer and a truck, why bother?
To me, the KLR is a time-machine.  Takes me back about 40 years when I'm off-roading on it.  Very capable little bike.  After riding the Connie for a few days, the KLR feels like a toy (relatively light).  But once you're deep in the crap off-road, you quickly realize it's no light-weight (like when you have to pick it up multiple times....).

I know 2 guy's that have gone C2C on KiLleRs. Depending on your gearing 70 to 80 all day. The things like a friggen anvil. May not be the best tool but you can't break it (well, you can if you really try but it only takes some bailing wire and duct tape to fix it).

Great.  Sounds like that might be the right direction.

Thanks for the input!!

....now....back to our regularly scheduled program.  :)