• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rolling Rally - Southwest Style!- Summer 2021!

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
What do you think? If the Covid crisis subsides by this summer and there is no guarantee of that. It would be fun to have possibly a Rolling Rally in our area. In no particular order 3 days in California, 2 days in Utah, 2 days in Arizona, 3 days in Colorado and 2 days in New Mexico...maybe ending up in Las Vegas for a fun last evening or two. The possibilities are endless. I know only a few likely could do the whole run but the beauty of it is the riders of the Southwest and other areas have choices of a state or more than one state to visit. Each AAD would put together possible routes and places to stay in their state. We as a group could figure out the dates. I think it would be fun to at least discuss. Let me hear your ideas positive and negative. In the meantime Stay safe and healthy and get out and ride when you can!

Russ
SWAD

I really like the idea. Two weeks would be too much time off for me, but I could swing a week (9 days).
Practically endless possibilities in those 5 states listed. Are you thinking about doing a loop that starts and ends in Vegas, or starting at your house (LA) and heading up through California, then swinging east through northern Nevada (maybe via Reno and Battle Mountain/Ely) to Salt Lake, Park City, and south toward Zion or keep easting into Grand Junction??? So many options! Keep the planning at 2 weeks and I'll figure my bail out point.
Agree with you on unknowns on CV -- but love the mental exercise. BTW: Rolled the beast out of the garage yesterday and son and I went for 90 minute blast through tiny roads in the Santa Cruz Mountains and then down along the sea -- so I'm prepping for your ride!

Last edited:
The four "squares" would work great for me and I would get a chance to meet some of COGers in person which I not been able to due yet. NV and CA would be a little of my range. If you can, don't start too early, it takes a while for the 400 inches of snow to melt at 7,500 feet in Park City. Well worth the wait though.

Last edited:
Make it happen. Let me know if I can help. Love it.
Sounds interesting.
The four "squares" would work great for me and I would get a chance to meet some of COGers in person which I not been able to due yet. NV and CA would be a little of my range. If you can, don't start too early, it takes a while for the 400 inches of snow to melt at 7,500 feet in Park City. Well worth the wait though.
I really like the idea. Two weeks would be too much time off for me, but I could swing a week (9 days).
Practically endless possibilities in those 5 states listed. Are you thinking about doing a loop that starts and ends in Vegas, or starting at your house (LA) and heading up through California, then swinging east through northern Nevada (maybe via Reno and Battle Mountain/Ely) to Salt Lake, Park City, and south toward Zion or keep easting into Grand Junction??? So many options! Keep the planning at 2 weeks and I'll figure my bail out point.
Agree with you on unknowns on CV -- but love the mental exercise. BTW: Rolled the beast out of the garage yesterday and son and I went for 90 minute blast through tiny roads in the Santa Cruz Mountains and then down along the sea -- so I'm prepping for your ride!
I'm too far away, but will be monitoring.

Ride safe, Ted
Yeah baby!
It is encouraging to have so many positive messages for a Rolling Rally here in the Southwest! I know Ted (Connie Rider) got the ball rolling last year for a possible Nation wide Rolling Rally! It sparked a lot of comments that were positive too. Well let's see how many more riders show an interest. I will need to post something soon on the Facebook Concours site to gauge interest also. Keep posting comments here please!

Route change... maybe let's not plan to roll up PCH (Hwy 1), or at least we should jog east on Jolon Road north of San Simeon. Looks like PCH south of Big Sur is gone again. :(
(not a video link, so don't bother clicking pic)

scrnli_1_31_2021_9-37-08 AM.png

I know Ted (Connie Rider) got the ball rolling last year for a possible Nation wide Rolling Rally! It sparked a lot of comments that were positive too. Well let's see how many more riders show an interest. I will need to post something soon on the Facebook Concours site to gauge interest also. Keep posting comments here please!

Not related to your ride, but I still like the idea of a Rolling Rally being attached to a National.
Perhaps, multiple people could post a planned route from their home to the National.
For instance, I'm coming from Texas, Ron from Florida, Mark from Arizona, XXX from DC, etc, etc, etc...
Others could join in as the group passes thru their area, and ride to the National together..

Ride safe, Ted

I know Ted (Connie Rider) got the ball rolling last year for a possible Nation wide Rolling Rally! It sparked a lot of comments that were positive too. Well let's see how many more riders show an interest. I will need to post something soon on the Facebook Concours site to gauge interest also. Keep posting comments here please!

Not related to your ride, but I still like the idea of a Rolling Rally being attached to a National.
Perhaps, multiple people could post a planned route from their home to the National.
For instance, I'm coming from Texas, Ron from Florida, Mark from Arizona, XXX from DC, etc, etc, etc...
Others could join in as the group passes thru their area, and ride to the National together..

Ride safe, Ted
Hi Ted, Yes that would be a great idea if we can coordinate it. Thank you for volunteering! :D:D

Sounds pretty interesting. That's a lot of different terrain and scenery to experience. The description is giving me warm fuzzy flashbacks of an OtP adventure.

I'm thinking if we just build a small ramp and get a bunch of run-up speed - we can probably jump right over that small gap in the PCH near Big Sur that Dan showed a picture of above

What's this "we" stuff? I've seen you ride and won't bet against you clearing it. But "we" knows an alternate route and will catch up to you -- maybe sometime after dinner. (y)

I am leaving New England area mid April headed for San Diego and I am camping most of the way if I can. Some of my areas of interest were what you fellow riders are talking about now, mainly New Mexico Arizona area on my way to San Diego. I will keep an eye on this conversation as it goes along. Thanks Devil Dog

If a motorcyclists could motor his (or her) cycle, how many daily miles would a motorcyclist motor, if that motorcyclist could motor his cycle. -- my tribute to a certain woodchuck.
Asked more directly, what's a reasonable number of miles or hours per day for a 16-day ride like this?
My gut tells me that best days will avoid superslab and take the twisty roads where possible, so maybe 350-400 miles per day on the outside. Thoughts?

What's this "we" stuff? I've seen you ride and won't bet against you clearing it. But "we" knows an alternate route and will catch up to you -- maybe sometime after dinner. (y)
Can you tell me that alternate route? Was planning to ride that route soon but wanted yo stay off of 101.

If a motorcyclists could motor his (or her) cycle, how many daily miles would a motorcyclist motor, if that motorcyclist could motor his cycle. -- my tribute to a certain woodchuck.
Asked more directly, what's a reasonable number of miles or hours per day for a 16-day ride like this?
My gut tells me that best days will avoid superslab and take the twisty roads where possible, so maybe 350-400 miles per day on the outside. Thoughts?
350-400 mile days are possible if they are on state or county roads and have multiple areas of twisty roads that are in the area of your daily destination! You will have earned a good dinner with a few drinks to go along after a great day of riding. :) :cool:

Can you tell me that alternate route? Was planning to ride that route soon but wanted yo stay off of 101.
Not sure where your start and end points are, but assuming you want to transit Hwy 1 on the section from Morro Bay to Monterey, the road washout is at Rat Creek about 15 miles south of Big Sur. To get around it, if I was riding north I'd take Hwy 1 from Morro Bay to Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. This is a tiny road that cuts into the mountains and head east. It's about 20 miles north of Ragged Point and just past Mill Creek Picnic Area on Hwy 1. From there you have a nice twisty road with steep drops and no guard rails, then flattens out and through the coastal mountains past Fort Hunter-Liggett to Jolon, then north on Jolon Road to King City. From there you slab a couple miles on 101, then bail out at Central Ave to Elm, then north on Arroyo-Seco Road West (turn left of Arroyo-Seco). This leads back into the mountain but you're headed NW and becomes Carmel Valley Road all the way to Carmel.
It sounds complicated, but it's pretty straightforward and you'll encounter little traffic (except maybe motorcycles if it's a nice weekend). This is one o my favorite local rides (usually doing it as a loop when Hwy 1 has been open. Double check road closures on Hwy 1 though, because that changes a lot.

Not sure where your start and end points are, but assuming you want to transit Hwy 1 on the section from Morro Bay to Monterey, the road washout is at Rat Creek about 15 miles south of Big Sur. To get around it, if I was riding north I'd take Hwy 1 from Morro Bay to Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. This is a tiny road that cuts into the mountains and head east. It's about 20 miles north of Ragged Point and just past Mill Creek Picnic Area on Hwy 1. From there you have a nice twisty road with steep drops and no guard rails, then flattens out and through the coastal mountains past Fort Hunter-Liggett to Jolon, then north on Jolon Road to King City. From there you slab a couple miles on 101, then bail out at Central Ave to Elm, then north on Arroyo-Seco Road West (turn left of Arroyo-Seco). This leads back into the mountain but you're headed NW and becomes Carmel Valley Road all the way to Carmel.
It sounds complicated, but it's pretty straightforward and you'll encounter little traffic (except maybe motorcycles if it's a nice weekend). This is one o my favorite local rides (usually doing it as a loop when Hwy 1 has been open. Double check road closures on Hwy 1 though, because that changes a lot.
Thank you Dan i am planning to head south one highway 1 out of SF and end up around Santa Barbara.

Thank you Dan i am planning to head south one highway 1 out of SF and end up around Santa Barbara.
Even better. Nacimiento-Fergusson is fantastic when approached from the east. You come out of the hills looking down on the Pacific with a steep but not insane drop to PCH. If you like history, the Mission (Mission San Antonio De Padua) at Fort Hunter-Liggett is worth a stop.scrnli_2_5_2021_12-55-13 PM.pngscrnli_2_5_2021_12-53-11 PM.png

Strawman route largely avoids highways, starts at Russ's house, hits Hwy 1 (will have to modify for washout), 299(!) through Weaverville, one of the Sierra passes (won't let me route 4 cause it's closed), dash across 50, Capital Reef, Moab, Ouray (cause I ain't been there and OMoaC says it's awesome), Cimarron, 149 through the Rockies, Pagosa Springs, Chimney Rock, Durango, Shiprock, Sante Fe, Pie Town, Sedona, KIngman and end in Vegas. 3,900 miles in 12 days.

Now everyone hack that up and make it better...scrnli_2_5_2021_4-40-05 PM.png

Even better. Nacimiento-Fergusson is fantastic when approached from the east. You come out of the hills looking down on the Pacific with a steep but not insane drop to PCH. If you like history, the Mission (Mission San Antonio De Padua) at Fort Hunter-Liggett is worth a stop.View attachment 28575View attachment 28576
Another fantastic road...You do not want to miss riding this one. I think Mark took us all including the OTP travelers Ralf and Andre on this road down to PCH!

Strawman route largely avoids highways, starts at Russ's house, hits Hwy 1 (will have to modify for washout), 299(!) through Weaverville, one of the Sierra passes (won't let me route 4 cause it's closed), dash across 50, Capital Reef, Moab, Ouray (cause I ain't been there and OMoaC says it's awesome), Cimarron, 149 through the Rockies, Pagosa Springs, Chimney Rock, Durango, Shiprock, Sante Fe, Pie Town, Sedona, KIngman and end in Vegas. 3,900 miles in 12 days.

Now everyone hack that up and make it better...View attachment 28577
That's a great start Dan! I think each AAD should be able to put together a 2 and 3 day route in their state with as many great roads as possible to ride and with places to stay. From that we can start putting the states together and rough out some dates for planning purposes. I am getting excited! If you have any ideas or comments please post.

Even better. Nacimiento-Fergusson is fantastic when approached from the east. You come out of the hills looking down on the Pacific with a steep but not insane drop to PCH. If you like history, the Mission (Mission San Antonio De Padua) at Fort Hunter-Liggett is worth a stop.View attachment 28575View attachment 28576
I do want to ride that road, i worked on Fort Hunter-Liggett a few years ago and saw many bikes riding through there headed to the coast.

Ouray (cause I ain't been there and OMoaC says it's awesome),

Ouray up or down 550 is a must do for this ride or I'm not going. :cool:

exUO-32jW5f3j8akA6fXREeQhwHYiOK51MwGX_bW63MAiEmOnWTP9ral-I0Q3WTvr-IxDMRxS89KWfThb0rm04U1pQtirog8HVg4cLcR1wAQw0hZBM8jo6d7R3b3nUAMlB53Xas10fK1kgluPh9oPrQL1oreDrJIX1gmgVaejPe_mI801J6uMvm6K5EhDcOc9QQt8EoswzFZCGRi1BVgRFoVjNt1c44NL3aV0de0atVgtDMoqslQBD8OdDI56iD9hopgzVlaaGRSTU6KTgyZdhMCkr0dhTIeZasbjVX-k9BtWwr-fngoIfEXb6u8OvL1X0APVvjSNwderA5JJBaM8FEOI9H5rCiuaaHySS5dcOn_Li9ogSh_K43mU8ZdjdObyCkq_bqlSv5PADSBQfFqbAfYLjJt8UTCMUcx19AApvUKTtaWCJ_9GIJwHNbiLEZNVfa2NI9842yQbBTU5G7YFCW8Leapgr2PZy6Lf3iVZpYQPASqHIjKiZ0jeEZTj9yE7XR11T7qD3C-0i7Jj3hVXNcJhnIHEGoP6d2hlxiS3PkGxI3z9y1_1qR2FMljFFkpZ6E-HtQADgQhibEP_S16T2dAWGVLOjURf8MQY_oHNw8BVfbs7p-9Rtil7Htb_zAXhsRc8dQLCV_EjVmMXecyPLJ84udMDNmWmpFnvHQ2NBO6ttcAXO4VzlCAdIguvw=w927-h695-no

Last edited:
Ouray up or down 550 is a must do for this ride or I'm not going. :cool:

exUO-32jW5f3j8akA6fXREeQhwHYiOK51MwGX_bW63MAiEmOnWTP9ral-I0Q3WTvr-IxDMRxS89KWfThb0rm04U1pQtirog8HVg4cLcR1wAQw0hZBM8jo6d7R3b3nUAMlB53Xas10fK1kgluPh9oPrQL1oreDrJIX1gmgVaejPe_mI801J6uMvm6K5EhDcOc9QQt8EoswzFZCGRi1BVgRFoVjNt1c44NL3aV0de0atVgtDMoqslQBD8OdDI56iD9hopgzVlaaGRSTU6KTgyZdhMCkr0dhTIeZasbjVX-k9BtWwr-fngoIfEXb6u8OvL1X0APVvjSNwderA5JJBaM8FEOI9H5rCiuaaHySS5dcOn_Li9ogSh_K43mU8ZdjdObyCkq_bqlSv5PADSBQfFqbAfYLjJt8UTCMUcx19AApvUKTtaWCJ_9GIJwHNbiLEZNVfa2NI9842yQbBTU5G7YFCW8Leapgr2PZy6Lf3iVZpYQPASqHIjKiZ0jeEZTj9yE7XR11T7qD3C-0i7Jj3hVXNcJhnIHEGoP6d2hlxiS3PkGxI3z9y1_1qR2FMljFFkpZ6E-HtQADgQhibEP_S16T2dAWGVLOjURf8MQY_oHNw8BVfbs7p-9Rtil7Htb_zAXhsRc8dQLCV_EjVmMXecyPLJ84udMDNmWmpFnvHQ2NBO6ttcAXO4VzlCAdIguvw=w927-h695-no
The Million Dollar Highway is a must see along with Grand Mesa Scenic Byway near Grand Junction... and many other roads too! :cool:

Last edited:
Is there any guess at a departure date for this yet?
If it were me I'd say Sept 20- Oct 7th, not too hot
And the Fall colors should be out.
Nick
2014 C-14

Last edited:
Plan it and put it on the calendar!
Friday, Sept. 24 through Sunday, Oct. 3.

6 States; 2,800 miles; 9 days to close loop plus a day or so in Vegas to revel.

Start in LA the up the east side of Sierra, 2 Sierra pass Tahoe peek for fun, then across Nevada on Pony Express route into Utah Canyonlands, Moab, Ouray in Colorado, then into Rockies and down the summit spine into New Mexico. Taos and Sante Fe and Valles Calderas, then across to Shiprock, Kaibab, Zion, Cedar City, Crystal Springs and Vegas.

Maybe something like...
Day 1, Sept. 24: Orange County north up eastern side of Sierra on 395; Lone Pine, Bishop, to Bridgeport = 375 miles.

Day 2: West on Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass, lunch in Angel’s Camp, back east for second crossing of Sierra’s on Hwy 88 over Carson Pass, to South Lake Tahoe, then east on 50 to Carson City, Dayton, Stagecoach and overnight at Fallon Station = 350 miles.

Day 3: East on 50 through Nevada via Ely and into Utah. Overnight at Hinkley/Deseret = 412 miles.

Day 4: 50 to 24 in Capitol Reef and Goblin Valley, up to Green River, to 70 to 191 to Arches and Moab, then 46, 90 and to Ouray = 430 miles.

Day 5: North on 550 to Montrose, east through the Rockies, then south on 149 riding the crest through Lake CIty and Southfork, east on 160 to Monte Vista, then south to overnight at Conejos, just north of the New Mexico border = 300 miles.

Day 6: etc., etc., etc...

Note image below is approx. Some passes are currently closed and route shown is off a bit.

scrnli_4_9_2021_8-21-47 PM.png

Plan it and put it on the calendar!
Friday, Sept. 24 through Sunday, Oct. 3.

6 States; 2,800 miles; 9 days to close loop plus a day or so in Vegas to revel.

Start in LA the up the east side of Sierra, 2 Sierra pass Tahoe peek for fun, then across Nevada on Pony Express route into Utah Canyonlands, Moab, Ouray in Colorado, then into Rockies and down the summit spine into New Mexico. Taos and Sante Fe and Valles Calderas, then across to Shiprock, Kaibab, Zion, Cedar City, Crystal Springs and Vegas.

Maybe something like...
Day 1, Sept. 24: Orange County north up eastern side of Sierra on 395; Lone Pine, Bishop, to Bridgeport = 375 miles.

Day 2: West on Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass, lunch in Angel’s Camp, back east for second crossing of Sierra’s on Hwy 88 over Carson Pass, to South Lake Tahoe, then east on 50 to Carson City, Dayton, Stagecoach and overnight at Fallon Station = 350 miles.

Day 3: East on 50 through Nevada via Ely and into Utah. Overnight at Hinkley/Deseret = 412 miles.

Day 4: 50 to 24 in Capitol Reef and Goblin Valley, up to Green River, to 70 to 191 to Arches and Moab, then 46, 90 and to Ouray = 430 miles.

Day 5: North on 550 to Montrose, east through the Rockies, then south on 149 riding the crest through Lake CIty and Southfork, east on 160 to Monte Vista, then south to overnight at Conejos, just north of the New Mexico border = 300 miles.

Day 6: etc., etc., etc...

Note image below is approx. Some passes are currently closed and route shown is off a bit.

View attachment 28942
Great plan Dan! Of course we can do little changes right... like I would like to ride the Grand Mesa near Grand Junction, Colorado. Pencil me in...though I have not talked to Pam about yet... :D

Of course the plan can change. I lay no claim to either the concept or the final route. I'm just trying to get things rolling I find that the best way is to get started and put the plan on paper.

If I was one of those all powerful area directors (wink wink) with a team of ride experts at my elbow, I'd frame it up kind of like I did with a set of penciled dates, a loose idea of the number of miles and pseudo route, and then task the local experts to weigh and move the lines to the best roads and destinations (kind of like you suggestion for Grand Mesa). There may end up being some horse trading as some days may be too long or take the route too far off course -- but that's all solvable.

Then, once we have basic route and related dates set, maybe we can get AADs and others to adopt one day each in their area and take on the logistics, ie. setting a hotel, finding a suggested lunch stop, suggesting any historic, natural or cultural distractions on the route (like the train museum near Fallon or Pony Express stations, Grand Canyon, etc...), suggestions on last gas for next 100 miles,... stuff like that. Add in some daily suggested start times, some directions, and before you know it, we'll have a rolling rally plan.