• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rolling Rally?

cog1374

Gumby said:
Jerry_Layman_NE said:
A quick question, for those of us that have made hotel reservations, will we have to call the hotel and cancel, or will they assume that everyone won't be coming since the rally was cancelled?
Cancel your reservation if you are not planning on making this trip. Some may still decide to go, I have not cancelled my PTO with my company yet. :017:

OK, done and done and got the email confirmation of cancellation already. Now I'll have to go somewhere else this summer....

We've done 2 (actually 3) in a year before.

I wasn't there as I was a newbie/poor.
  I think each one was smaller than normal, but the total was more.
  As I recall, it was done as West Coast / Central / East Coast.

Ride safe, Ted

I was actually thinking 12 would be a good number to shoot for.  But I could settle for 3.  :)

Chris

IF total equals one it would be a wash and maybe less stress on members. Plus you old retired dudes could hit both. Just spit ballin' (no real spit involved)

Hmmm.....thats an interesting idea.  1 east of Mississippi river and 1 west of.....shift the states in the central area's accordingly. Hmmm

I would wonder if there was a reason / rationale for not continuing the "rolling rally" concept and why it wasn't continued.  I suspect it was due to lack of members/volunteers to make it work across the regions. Of course, back then they didn't have the Forum Only Subscribers and FaceBook members to pick up the member's slack.

Ranger Jim said:
I would wonder if there was a reason / rationale for not continuing the "rolling rally" concept and why it wasn't continued.  I suspect it was due to lack of members/volunteers to make it work across the regions. Of course, back then they didn't have the Forum Only Subscribers and FaceBook members to pick up the member's slack.
I have always liked the idea of the rolling rally myself. Logistics and miles traveled seems to be the hitch. Plus many members now trailering. Unpacking and repacking each day seems to be a burden for some (and understandable) as well as SO participation, raffle and rally stuff transport, Vendor movement, registration etc. Really dig the idea tho'. I've pondered this in my little peanut brain.

Ok, I'm another Peanut Brain here that has been pondering a Rolling Rally / National..
And, I kinda figured out a possibility...
So, I'm Spit-balling an "I-deer" for discussion...

What if we didn't plan banquets etc,,,, and did a 2-4 week ride across/around the USA?
    1} Just set up Hotels {or camping area's} every other night or so.. {for mebbe 50 riders}
      At each stop the group could ride the area a bit, rest, or do repairs as needed..
    2} Mebbe one Motel Chain would be willing to give a discount if approached right.
      After this Virus, they'll be hungry for business.
    3} People could join in and then depart as the group made it's way thru the course..
      Some might go the entire ride..
    4} Trailer people {like me} could leave the Trailer somewhere and go back and get it,,,
              or beg the wife drag it as the Vulture Wagon.
    5} Mebbe someone from each Section of COG could be responsible for arranging the lodging in their area.
        If so, they could arrange/suggest a few restaurant's.
    6} Thoughts???  {Add detail / I-deers as we discuss}...

Ok, that's a start, it's kinda what we do when the "OtP" Traveler makes his ride.
We've done it for 18 years....
I've often called COGgers along the intended route and asked for their help.
Being COGgers, many have been willing.
  They helped arrange the Motels, suggested thing's to see, or took over as lead while the "OtP" Traveler is in the area.

Sooo, is it an I-deer worth discussing?
      {After all; We're not exactly busy right now....}

Ride safe, Ted

Last "rolling rally" was 2000, and prior a couple more years held east/west a half month apart...

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuOptID=18695

I joined just after the Roller, which was a 3 part event...

I think Guy Young, and Phil Tarman can give better reasoning as to why it hasn't been repeated again, even tho we did talk about it. I think even Guy, who was a riding maniac back then, commented it was a bit "long, and a bit tough on the Body" when it was over..
The logistics were difficult, but back then, COG was a much simpler and refined group, that didn't care about all the $$$ frills, big hotels, expensive venues, etc., and everyone was riding pretty much current year bikes, in good condition..  and, were all 20 years more youthful.. The once "simple low priced thing", has been gradually replaced by the High Cost rally, and it seemed that as they grew, and cost's became outrageous, the simplicity was lost.

Here in the SE, we kicked around an idea like Ted's. Maybe a day in NC, a day in Tenn, a day in Ga sort of thing. It never went anywhere because pretty well everyone who would've been involved in it was already organizing something and busy with "life." Maybe sometime in the future.

Sad, but the 2020 rally team made the right call given the current circumstances.

Anyone thinking about a rolling national rally should speak with the folks involved with the 2000 national. What I learned is that rolling rallies are much more difficult to organize. It is like organizing several rallies at once. Multiple venues need to be secured, which means multiple rallymasters and teams, and all the redundant logistics considered.  Not trying to talk anyone out of doing this... just do your research and completely understand what you will be committing to do and the number of volunteers you will be required to solicit.  Just my $0.02 as a 5-time COG national rally co-host.

I am sure that the logistics of having a rolling rally like one in the past would be a nightmare.

But something to chew on would be to have six (each region) consecutive regional rally (Thursday - Sunday). Have them set up so that attendees could possibly hit two of them together. Like do a NW, SW, SC, NC, NE & SE (or similar) rotation. Logistics would be kept regional and having a few days between them would allow attendees time to travel should they want to attend more then one.

Many of us do this already on a small basis, like attending the SE "Run with the Wolf" and then attending the next weekends NC "Spider Ride".

Just something to think about while we all are "self isolating".

Thanks for the input.
I'm just thinking out loud here, trying to find a see if something like this is possible.

I'll agree that a big Rolling Rally would be a nightmare, but I'm referring to a big ride, not a big National Rally with all the bells and whistles.
ie; No banquets/food/routes/no group rides/etc etc etc.
    Just arrange a series of Motels that go around the country, or around a section of the country, or around a series of events as MotoCommuter mentioned.

NOTE: It has been done......
    The Europeans do a Rolling Rally or 2 each year.
        I've been to 2, and hoping to do a third. Other COGger's have been to several too.
          {Theirs are more elaborate than I'm suggesting as they arrange Motels/food/routes}.
      The "OtP" Team (with COG and GCE support} has arranged a Over the Pond Ride for 17 (almost 18} years.
          Those rides are basically a "Rolling Rally"..
          As stated, the logistics were great, but the outcome has been AMAZING!!!

We're here, unable to do events. We have time,,,,,
Think about a simple Rolling rally {use the KISS Principal to keep itless complicated}, and offer suggestion's.

Ride safe, Ted

That's a lot of trailer loading up and unloading time for you Ted!!!!!!!! :nananana:

You guys were muckin' up my National Rally thread so I fixed it. :beerchug:

Talk about a thread jack....geez!

S Smith said:
Sad, but the 2020 rally team made the right call given the current circumstances.

Anyone thinking about a rolling national rally should speak with the folks involved with the 2000 national. What I learned is that rolling rallies are much more difficult to organize. It is like organizing several rallies at once. Multiple venues need to be secured, which means multiple rallymasters and teams, and all the redundant logistics considered.  Not trying to talk anyone out of doing this... just do your research and completely understand what you will be committing to do and the number of volunteers you will be required to solicit.  Just my $0.02 as a 5-time COG national rally co-host.

yes, I agree on many points, but as someone that tried tossed in what we called "The General's Ride, Rally" I have to say we focussed upon the rides, routes, and high point's we had a venue that was extremely cheap, heald all of us, and provided.  I personally spent 3 days, riding routes, and mapping them for the event Via GPS..  it was a great ride/mini rally, annd fun and very affordable for all.. I mapped, ridese from ohio, to N.c., and thru the complete state of Va., highlighting choice points. I don't believe this was forgotten by the true people, that created the "General's ride".. not many saw the true path, and venues. :-X :-X :-X :-X :truce: :truce: :-[ ::) ::)

connie_rider said:
Thanks for the input.
I'm just thinking out loud here, trying to find a see if something like this is possible.

I'll agree that a big Rolling Rally would be a nightmare, but I'm referring to a big ride, not a big National Rally with all the bells and whistles.
ie; No banquets/food/routes/no group rides/etc etc etc.
    Just arrange a series of Motels that go around the country, or around a section of the country, or around a series of events as MotoCommuter mentioned.

NOTE: It has been done......
    The Europeans do a Rolling Rally or 2 each year.
        I've been to 2, and hoping to do a third. Other COGger's have been to several too.
          {Theirs are more elaborate than I'm suggesting as they arrange Motels/food/routes}.
      The "OtP" Team (with COG and GCE support} has arranged a Over the Pond Ride for 17 (almost 18} years.
          Those rides are basically a "Rolling Rally"..
          As stated, the logistics were great, but the outcome has been AMAZING!!!

We're here, unable to do events. We have time,,,,,
Think about a simple Rolling rally {use the KISS Principal to keep itless complicated}, and offer suggestion's.

Ride safe, Ted

I think the bigest thing we need to do, is to get rid of all th "bells and whistles" and extraordinary expenses, that seem so easy to "press a button, and say
you it's gonna cost you this $$$$ a day, to even come out and play..." because we can' afford it.. simply can't. :mad:

Gumby said:

don't recall, or see this as your O/P thread post.. it's about mobile rallies.. so.... ?  how'd we jack it?
sorry, my bad... glad you "fixd it". now, organazize a mobile rally...  :??:

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :)) :)) :)) :great:

Gumby said:

Sorry about that....

Ride safe, Ted

PS: kv5e, you may be right about a lot of trailer loading and unloading,,,  :truce:
          BUT, "I'll" BE THERE!!!    :p
      (and I don't really mind loading and unloading your bike when it breaks down}..  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

S Smith said:

As I recall, Jim Pavils put on the one in Utah, Fred Harmon put on the one in Arkansas, and Guy Young put on the one in... well, I forget where exactly. Virginia? Anyway, east of here. I only went to the closest one in Arkansas because at the time I couldn't get the time off from work to do all three of them. And you are right, it was a lot of work for all three teems. Personally, I'd be good with a reschedule of this years rally to next year and push next years back, (wherever it was going to be), to the following year. I know it would be hard on both teams, but having helped put on the Black Hills rally, I know that the planning for next years rally has already been put into motion, and much of it already complete. So what to do? I do not have the answer, and I do not envy those that will have to decide. If it can be moved, move it. If not, hold both rallies. That's about the only thing we can do, ain't it?

Ok,  I don't care if it has been done for a N______l.  :mad:
Everyone take the word NATIONAL out of the discussion, as it seems to be mucking up the Mobile Rally discussion.

I'm seeking input/idea's on how a NO FRILL's Mobile Rally could be done.
ie; Need thought's and idea's to discuss possibilities..

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks DeansZG.
We moved this discussion to 'Help-wanted'-How-to-make-a-big-rolling-rally-possible

http://forum.cog-online.org/south-central-events/'help-wanted'-how-to-make-a-big-rolling-rally-possible/msg693758/#msg693758

What your suggesting sounds interesting, and it might be possible to do for COG / BOD / Event Coordinator.
But, it's impossible for 1 individual to arrange.

I'm asking that we try to figure out the possibility of a "No Farkle Rally".  {using the K.I.S.S. principal}

At this stage, we don't even know if a Rolling Rally is legal. {??}  (because of insurance/rules etc)

Ride safe, Ted

I love rolling rallies. They do it in GTE club. Let each member call and book their own hotel as usu. Just designate the hotels suggested and day for each. ppl don't always stay at rally central anyway. Vendors and dinner at last stop which can be two days duration. Ppl don't all have to ride together and eat together every time. They will self organize into subgroups naturally. You don't have to do the organizing of every detail. Ye old rte 66 is my guess for best rolling rally location. Attached map is a line of green dots of "wanna go's" along rte 66

I know the best stretch of it but have not done it yet. Anybody along the route can make suggestions. Everyone doesn't have to ride parade style. Don't overthink this! And it doesn't have to replace a national rally. It can bit its own rally. Personally I wanna do rte 66 in a Tesla someday soon.

video: https://youtu.be/dez15AlVKJw

https://www.throughmylens.com/

I'm serious about doing this....

(ca't attach map, too large!)

Just checked out the video Douglas and it was very cool! Been to many of those spots but a Rolling Rally along it would be Epic!

Let's do it!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

connie_rider said:
At this stage, we don't even know if a Rolling Rally is legal. {??}  (because of insurance/rules etc)

Sure it is, just don't call it a rally. Come one, come all to our rolling meet and greet. :)