• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ronnies Pegs vs Advanced a sport Touring

jmilazzo

Hey all,
I’m considering putting highway pegs on my 2017 C-14. The two that I’m looking at are Ronnie’s and Advance Sport Touring. If you have either Could you pls share your opinions?
My concerns; Advanced Sport Touring: 1) Is it uncomfortable getting you legs around the faring. 2) Are they difficult to install and/or disassemble for maintenance
Ronnie Pegs: 1) Are they far enough forward to be comfortable? 2) Again are they difficult to install and/or disassemble for maintenance?
thx,
J-

I worked on a guys bike a few years ago, Flatspot was his name. Haven't seen him around lately. But he had some of the AST pegs and took them off. He said they severely limit lean angle, and he wasn't even very aggressive.

I just saved you from wasting $350. One tenth of that will get you a COG membership.

I've never heard anybody complain about Ronnie's.

I have the Ronnie’s pegs on mine, can’t comment on AST other then I have read they are adjustable,Ronnie’s are not.
For me the Ronnie’s would be better if they were about 2-4 inches forward of where they are ,I am 5’10” and they are just ok for me!

P.S. IF you buy them I would advise to fold them up when riding in town, stop n go traffic,I have caught my pants leg on them a few times and almost dropped the bike, YRMV

I have ronnies pegs in conjunction with AST peg lowering kit. Yes i had to modify the left side bracket in ronnies kit slightly, by opening up the hole the shift linkage passes thru. I got mine on sale from a fellow cogger who wasnt using them. Thanks again ted.

That said, i like ronnies cuz it gives me another option for stretching my legs (old 60 yo knees). I also have highway pegs on my canyon cages. I dont hang off anymore but i havent scraped my pegs or ronnies, but i still get it far enough over.

And a +1 about the folding them up in town. Ronnie even recommends so ....

I too debated the differences between the two. I went with Ronnie’s due to their cleaner install and appearance. I did the jack stand test, which is I set my stands at the same height as the pegs would be, and at the same position as where the open pegs would be, and then sitting on the bike while on the center stand, I could really tell the difference by doing this.
I was hesitant about the other pegs being more forward and having to deal with the fairing bulge. Also, the more forward your legs are, the more pressure you feel on your tailbone. I think by being able to move my legs a foot forward occasionally will make a big difference in comfort.
I just received my Ronnie’s pegs yesterday after only two days shipping, and I will get them installed soon. My 2020 is now in my basement for the winter.

Eric,
How much did he charge you? The only thing that I saw was $291 but that was from a blog several years ago.
Thx

Eric,
How much did he charge you? The only thing that I saw was $291 but that was from a blog several years ago.
Thx
$285 shipped in two days. He didn’t include the center stand handle though. I guess he is redesigning it. Maybe he’ll send it later

It’s a handle that I guess he was including in his peg kits that attaches to the side of the bike and gives you a good firm handhold to assist with putting the bike on the center stand. I asked about it, and he said he was redesigning it And it wasn’t currently available

I have Ronnie's pegs as well another set of pegs on the Canyon Cage. I use Ronnie's as much as possible. Besides relieving the stress on the knees, it also shifts the contact spot of the butt with the seat to where it's more comfortable. I highly recommend Ronnie's pegs.

I had Ronnies pegs for a while but decided they did not stretch my legs enough ( 32 inch inseam) I sold them and installed the AST kit. Not real pretty and a bit of a hassle to install and deal with for valve clearance checking but they offerred some real comfort for my leg cramps.

I've been considering both Ronnie's and AST pegs for quite a while. One thing that concerned me about ASTs when I contacted them about a year ago was when you ordered they couldn't provide an ETA on them. It's like they had to wait until they had a sufficient number of orders before they would produce any, which could take months or ?

However, I just checked their website and they now claim they usually ship in 24-48 hours. They do offer greater extension than Ronnie's, and have quite a bit of adjustability. I think Ronnie's are easier to install though. When I talked to AST, I was told that while they're way easier than the old version, installation is still a bit tricky without a lift.

Ok all, thx.
What I’m getting is that pegs are really not a viable option. Seems like more con’s then pro’s! I’m not gonna bust my hump, and budget for little relief and/or at the risk of safety!

Ok all, thx.
What I’m getting is that pegs are really not a viable option. Seems like more con’s then pro’s! I’m not gonna bust my hump, and budget for little relief and/or at the risk of safety!
Do you have Canyon cages on the bike ? If you do use some revo pegs , better then none!

Jmilazzo, just to be clear about any 'highway' pegs ur looking at and hearing about.....they ALL fold up and out of the way when u want to have some fun in the twisties. But when ur droning down the slab, or just cruising to the rte, they work beautifully. As i mentioned b4 in an earlier post, i have Ronnie's on my 2010 and have no issues with ground clearance cuz i fold them up when things look like fun , and it doesn't take any effort. I remember correctly AST kit also folds up, and the revco pegs i have on my cages fold up. But my footpegs will make contact way before either when they're folded up...

Imho, the real only con is cost, and thats subjective cuz one mans perspective isnt the same as others. Both Ronnie's and AST kits are first rate.... some if us are just cheap (read it as frugal)...

KoneHead....... cool thx. I do realize they fold up and I would NEVER have them down in the twisties but as Laker 9142 mentioned, the AST pegs “severely limit lean angle” which scares me.
I was cruising on a mountain highway last week at 80mph and there were long sweeping turns. I have nightmares catching a peg “droning down the slab, or just cruising to the rte” cause I underestimated one of those long sweeping curves!
I do have a canyon cage so I think I’m gonna try the Revco!
Do you and/or FTB530 have any pics of the Revco’s you can share?
thx,
J-

Here u go. Yes i purposely gave u a pic with ronnies peg as well. I have a 2010. Rivco pegs were purchased thru jp cycles about $50 if i remember correctly put them on about 5 years ago. They dont come with the mount tho. You will have to source that out. Measure the thickness of ur cages tube

Attachments

• 16043659065971166865447383465735.jpg
    16043659065971166865447383465735.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 390
  • 16043659488058844962646765578342.jpg
    16043659488058844962646765578342.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 16043662269153891674962537991899.jpg
    16043662269153891674962537991899.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 393
...also im 5'10 (barely) with 30 inch inseam. So where the rivco pegs are on cages is just right for me, almost full extension, and lets me lean back. U can position it differently on the cages for more or less leg roomRonnies position provides for a relaxed feel, taking the bend out of the knees. BUT as mentioned, because its so close to the foot controls it will have u thinking ur still on them, making it possible to catch ur pant leg on a peg when stopping.

Jmilazzo, just to be clear about any 'highway' pegs ur looking at and hearing about.....they ALL fold up and out of the way when u want to have some fun in the twisties. But when ur droning down the slab, or just cruising to the rte, they work beautifully. As i mentioned b4 in an earlier post, i have Ronnie's on my 2010 and have no issues with ground clearance cuz i fold them up when things look like fun , and it doesn't take any effort. I remember correctly AST kit also folds up, and the revco pegs i have on my cages fold up. But my footpegs will make contact way before either when they're folded up...

Imho, the real only con is cost, and thats subjective cuz one mans perspective isnt the same as others. Both Ronnie's and AST kits are first rate.... some if us are just cheap (read it as frugal)...

The AST pegs do fold up, the the mount is still in a position that makes it possible to scrape.

C14-14-6.jpg

Ok...... a set of Rivcos and mounts ordered! They’ll be here on Friday. I’ll let ya know how it turns out.
Thx,
J-

KoneHead....... cool thx. I do realize they fold up and I would NEVER have them down in the twisties but as Laker 9142 mentioned, the AST pegs “severely limit lean angle” which scares me.
I was cruising on a mountain highway last week at 80mph and there were long sweeping turns. I have nightmares catching a peg “droning down the slab, or just cruising to the rte” cause I underestimated one of those long sweeping curves!
I do have a canyon cage so I think I’m gonna try the Revco!
Do you and/or FTB530 have any pics of the Revco’s you can share?
thx,
I didn’t have mine on very long, didn’t like where they were mounted so I took them off , they are in a box here somewhere

From what I read they have a mounting system of thier own which uses a template for mounting a braket for the foot pegs. I was hoping someone tried that instead of mounting on cages and engine guards. But AST might be in the lead at this time.

There was a thread in the forum from sailer chic i think.... about a direct mount for highpegs to the cages mounting bolts......i think.....couple years ago perhaps...

There was a thread in the forum from sailer chic i think.... about a direct mount for highpegs to the cages mounting bolts......i think.....couple years ago perhaps...
She welded brackets to her cages , I sent her part of my cage and she welded the same mount on mine, I couldn’t get use to the position so I removed them and put on the ronnies pegs

She welded brackets to her cages , I sent her part of my cage and she welded the same mount on mine, I couldn’t get use to the position so I removed them and put on the ronnies pegs
And what do you think of the Ronnies? I've read some think lean angles become a problem. Since I'm not a hot rod in the corners might also be an option. Probably easier to mount too.

And what do you think of the Ronnies? I've read some think lean angles become a problem. Since I'm not a hot rod in the corners might also be an option. Probably easier to mount too.
I don’t lean as much as some so that hasn’t been a issue for me.

There is a person who made another type of mount for pegs that IIRC they bolted to the canyon cages !

I was/am that person. Made a mount that replaced 1 bolt on the Canyon Cages and supported the Rivco Black Pegs you can get on Amazon. I have had mine on for probably 3 years and sold 25 sets I think. You can make them fairly easily as long as you can weld. I still have a few sets around if anyone wants PM me. I will see if I can find some pics.

Here is the original Thread: The cost on them is $45 shipped in the CONUS for TIG welded bolts and lock nuts.