• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rostra Cruise Control Issues

ZG/ZN Kim

My Rostra Cruise Control has failed. Lasted about 40,000 miles or so. Will power up, but not engage. I am thinking(hoping) it is the touch control pad. There are several inputs that possibly could keep it from engaging also, but what a PIA to trouble shoot each input.
I was wondering if people have been replacing the touch control pad, due to similar issues? They are readily available for around $45
Thanks for your input

Last edited:
There are several inputs that possibly could keep it from engaging also, but what a PIA to trouble shoot each input. Just do it. The pad will be ok unless it's had water within.

Bummer. Instead of using the "official" pad I use an ATV winch remote up and down switch. It is waterproof and has been problem free in almost four years, 63k miles. Less than $20 at Amazon. I do have a separate toggle switch to shut down/power up the Rostra.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Well I removed the plastic and traced all the Rostra wiring out. The PO installed the system. I removed all mechanical wire splices and replaced with solder. Found one broken wire, the clutch switch splice(Yes reports to Rostra, but is N/O). Did not affect the Rostra, but the bike would not start in gear with the clutch pulled in, soldered that too. Now that works correctly.

Rostra was messed up by a bad brake relay. The original relay P/N:961-1C-12DM, I found a similar one at NAPA, P/N: AR 272. NAPA much more expensive than online, but had it in stock.

That IS a good find!
My initial reaction was Keypad, since that is the most susceptible to water incursion/corrosion.
Were there any Obvious symptoms of the bad Brake Relay??? (other than the Rostra not working)