• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rostra cruise issue

jerrylking

Hi, all. I installed a Rostra cruise control on my 2009 C-14 per Fred Harmon's wiring diagram. I'm using a Rostra control switch, with an engage light. I was very careful and all of my wire taps are hard-wired solder joints. The cruise control works, but intermittently. When I first start out, the cruise will engage when I press the S/C button (but not the R/A button). When I tap the brakes, it shuts off the cruise completely, and I have to turn it back on, sometimes several times, to get it working again. However, after riding for a while, everything works as it should, i.e., I can tap the brakes or pull in the clutch, the cruise disengages and re-engages with the R/A button. What the ????

I have done the diagnostic check of the control switch, per the manual, and all voltages check out on the servo side of the 4-pin connector. However, I cannot get it to go into diagnostic mode. The LED light comes on and stays on. Per the manual troubleshooting instructions, I checked my main ground, brake-light ground, and No. 12 switch position, and they are all fine. I've run out of things to check.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In order to get into the diagnostic mode, the clutch disengage wire needs to be disconnected.

On my install, the brake light relay, and the "engage light" relay are tied to the same ground point, up on the sub frame. Try putting those grounds together. Not sure if this will fix the issue, but it might. Turning completely off is rather strange (when brake is hit), and then working after it warms up. It may be that the voltage is coming completely up to 13.8 volts after it has been charged for awhile. Might want to check your battery.

I have had issues on other bike where the relays I was activating (On my C10 with murphs Lights, and wiring harness kit) had strange behavior until they shared the same ground.

The ground for the Rostra unit itself went to the battery ground.

When you first start out, that is how my cruise works as well, there has to be a set point before the R/A will function.

Last edited:
I feel Jerry's pain. I installed a rostra unit on my 2011 C14 last winter. I too followed the suggested connections with great care. However, the connection for "clutch disengagement wire" did not work for me. It turned out to be connected to the signal light circuit resulting in the "CC" disengaging whenever the signal s are used. Currently, I have not discovered the correct connect point and am using the system without the clutch disengagement working. All else works perfectly. One NOTE is that at low speeds (under 50MPG or 80 KPH) the system is too insensitive and surges. As I do not need "CC" at less than highway speeds this has not been an issue for me.
However, the Vacuum controlled system (CC100 ?) I installed on on my C10 (years ago) did not have this issue. It would be nice to have the clutch wire working, and I will be searching for a fix this winter. Just saying.

Ivan
Canadian Prairie Rider
(Snowbound in Winnipeg)

On the clutch disconnect wire, I saw that it changes color depending on what side of the connector you have tapped into.

That was confusing to me since I had read what color wire it was on other installs, but that was not what I was seeing until I looked on the other side of the connector.

What helped the most is I found a picture of the clutch attach point, will see if I can find it again.

Here it is in .pdf.

Attachments

• Rostra_Cruise_Control_installation.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 158
Last edited: