• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

S.M.A.R.T. ADVANCED TRAINING/CAMPING EVENT WEEKEND

Douglasjre

If you enjoyed Sport-touring school at Jennings you're gonna love this. Please post up here if you want to attend fun and educational event that we announced at Last Blast. Also tell me if you have any blackout dates in November. DUE TO CLASS SIZE LIMITS IT IS LIMITED TO THE FIRST 16 RIDERS, SIGNUP PAGE PENDING....

We will get a campground in Jacksonville and the fun starts when you arrive Friday evening, and ends Sunday morning. Saturday is training day. After training we will go to dinner at a nearby restaurant, then back to the campground for a traditional COG Saturday night modest sized bonfire  :campfire:  The class will take place at speeds under 25mph.

The training is conducted in a closed course instructed by highly trained law enforcement  C:) motor officers using the very same techniques that place them in the top 5% of all riders. Each student receives individualized attention which positively reinforces the skills sets.

Anticipated price: $15/person which includes the whole weekend of camping AND THE COURSE FEE! And Roman indicated his insurance gives him a discount for having taken an advanced class! Whata value  :) Use your own bike. Ride at your own risk. Always look both ways before crossing the street.

Video:
https://youtu.be/zby54CmBJps

Count me in. First  3 weekends in Nov are good. After that too much going on with boarding dogs for Thanksgiving

SteveJ. said:
Likely in, depending on the dates.

On TDY, homeward bound, in brownfield Texas..

To clarify: mid month is a no go for me. Lots of company coming into town for our 40th anniversary shindig.

I'm interested, but pretty much booked until Oct 25, unless something changes. Barber is the first weekend of Oct, so that's definitely out!  :)

I'd like to do the class, but I don't want to take a spot from somebody else considering how my own teaching schedule varies. I just took on another gig and have no idea what November holds, other than my mid-November being kinda crowded too.

MotoCommuter said:
Im interested depending on dates as I struggle somewhat with low speed handling on the wing.

That's because you haul a dog around in the top box...  :))  (Sudden weight shifts of 7# are potential killers...)

Seriously, me too.

Doug, count me in but only as an observer if that's ok. I understand that this class is for two wheeled bikes only and mine wouldn't qualify being three wheels.  :truce: I'm always open for coming up and helping out where needed though as I try not to let an opportunity to camp with the club pass me by. It's good to see old friends now and then.  :beerchug: As Steve often says, tick tock, tick tock.  :-[

Always Young said:
Doug, count me in but only as an observer if that's ok. I understand that this class is for two wheeled bikes only and mine wouldn't qualify being three wheels.  :truce: I'm always open for coming up and helping out where needed though as I try not to let an opportunity to camp with the club pass me by. It's good to see old friends now and then.  :beerchug: As Steve often says, tick tock, tick tock.  :-[
Gots to give credit where credit is due. I stole or borrowed that from IronbuttAl.

But yeah, tick tock, baby.

On TDY at Land Between the Lakes, KY.

Count me interested. The earlier in Novembrrr the better. And yes, I spelled that intentionally....

Tom: I could use all the hope I can get thank you man

We are looking at November 1 2 3 Friday to Sunday. If I wait as late as October 1st I might be able to get this course for free. If I try to book it now he will want $75 per sign up. I vote we wait till October 1st. What do you guys say? Camping with only be a few dollars per night per guy. This can be the cheapest COG event yet.... :motonoises:

The dates work perfectly for me. The free part also works perfectly for me. Thanks for doing this Doug.

Egodriver71 said:
Scouting camping sites currently

Unfortunately too many dirt roads in and out of the closest ones.

Unless your looking at RV sites, most campgrounds will have
gravel, dirt and sand roads.  Both C 10's and C 14's are very
capable on the loose stuff, just bring a sise stand puck.

State Parks along the beach are VERY reasonable, and fairly close.
Shouldn't be too buggy in November either.

Always interested in training... any training so yep, anytime in November or whenever is fine...

It's a "Ride Like a Pro," type class. I did take his class (Jerry Palladino) back in 2007 I think up in Hudson, but on a Nomad 1600.

Douglas said:
If you enjoyed Sport-touring school at Jennings you're gonna love this. Please post up here if you want to attend fun and educational event that we announced at Last Blast. Also tell me if you have any blackout dates in November. DUE TO CLASS SIZE LIMITS IT IS LIMITED TO THE FIRST 16 RIDERS, SIGNUP PAGE PENDING....

We will get a campground in Jacksonville and the fun starts when you arrive Friday evening, and ends Sunday morning. Saturday is training day. After training we will go to dinner at a nearby restaurant, then back to the campground for a traditional COG Saturday night modest sized bonfire  :campfire:  The class will take place at speeds under 25mph.

The training is conducted in a closed course instructed by highly trained law enforcement  C:) motor officers using the very same techniques that place them in the top 5% of all riders. Each student receives individualized attention which positively reinforces the skills sets.

Anticipated price: $15/person which includes the whole weekend of camping AND THE COURSE FEE! And Roman indicated his insurance gives him a discount for having taken an advanced class! Whata value  :) Use your own bike. Ride at your own risk. Always look both ways before crossing the street.

Video:
https://youtu.be/zby54CmBJps

Mcfly said:
Egodriver71 said:
Scouting camping sites currently

Unfortunately too many dirt roads in and out of the closest ones.

Unless your looking at RV sites, most campgrounds will have
gravel, dirt and sand roads.  Both C 10's and C 14's are very
capable on the loose stuff, just bring a side stand puck.

State Parks along the beach are VERY reasonable, and fairly close.
Shouldn't be too buggy in November either.

Not really looking for RV style sites.

The one I scouted Sunday had a 3 mile soft sand dirt road getting to it.

Not sure what you've done with your Connie, but both my C10 and the C14 do NOT like the FL sugar sand at all.

Just a note on dates, the Swamp Scooters Gumbo Rally is happening on the second weekend of November, if I hear correctly.

I'm strongly leaning to go to it.

SteveJ. said:
connie_rider said:
Too far from me, but I sure wish I could be there.
Ya'll have fun.

Ride safe, Ted

What, did your trailer break down?  >:D

:beerchug:

I admit it. I deserved that..
But honestly, I have a Model T Ford Rally that I plan to attend.
Can't do both in that short of time..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
SteveJ. said:
connie_rider said:
Too far from me, but I sure wish I could be there.
Ya'll have fun.

Ride safe, Ted

What, did your trailer break down?  >:D

:beerchug:

I admit it. I deserved that..
But honestly, I have a Model T Ford Rally that I plan to attend.
Can't do both in that short of time..

Ride safe, Ted

All good.

Ken said:
Any training prerequisite ? If not interested also .

No prerequisite training required.

Being comfortable with slow speed manuevering will certainly help.  ;)

The school that does the SMART training free didn't get funding from DOT this quarter. The course would cost around $150/person. I'm gonna hold out and if he gets funding in the future, and the stars align....I'll get the word out to everyone.

I'm bummed. Was really looking forward to it

Douglas said:
The school that does the SMART training free didn't get funding from DOT this quarter. The course would cost around $150/person. I'm gonna hold out and if he gets funding in the future, and the stars align....I'll get the word out to everyone.

Thanks for the heads up. And thanks for trying to put this together.

Later.

Douglas said:

Bummer  :'(

Too bad. I was looking forward to it, too. Thanks for the work you guys have already put in to it. Maybe it'll come back later.

Douglass, with the recent arrival of the Concourier, It contained a word or two about this s.m.a.r.t. training.  I think a separate forum thread, indicating this event is not going to take place after all is probably necessary.  That way you won't have to be answering everybody....(jat) just a thought..

Douglas said:

That's too bad.  I hope that it will be possible to do this in the near future.

Irene

konehead said:
Douglass, with the recent arrival of the Concourier, It contained a word or two about this s.m.a.r.t. training.  I think a separate forum thread, indicating this event is not going to take place after all is probably necessary.  That way you won't have to be answering everybody....(jat) just a thought..

No need to. I edited the title to reflect the postponement. Thanks.

I may be able to put this event on Jan 24-26, with Sat Jan 25 training by the Osceola County Sheriff's office. This is one week after the BMW Coldest Rally, and the weather in Kissimmee is usually 70F in the daytime at this time of year.

Is this a blackout date for anyone? How many of you'all are interested if this is FREE except for the camping?

giphy.gif

If we wait for the more advanced course on Date(s) - 04/04/2020; 7:00 am - 2:00 pm we get a better course. How do you guys feel about this date?

Specifics:
Open Course – There will be basic exercises to work with riders that are learning to ride in the friction zone to competition type cone patterns for more advanced riders.

Registration begins at 7:00 am with class starting at 7:45 am and ends at 2:00 pm.

Requirements:

Helmet
Over Ankle Shoes
Valid Florida Driver’s License with Motorcycle Endorsement

Douglas said:
If we wait for the more advanced course on Date(s) - 04/04/2020; 7:00 am - 2:00 pm we get a better course. How do you guys feel about this date?

Specifics:
Open Course – There will be basic exercises to work with riders that are learning to ride in the friction zone to competition type cone patterns for more advanced riders.

Registration begins at 7:00 am with class starting at 7:45 am and ends at 2:00 pm.

Requirements:

Helmet
Over Ankle Shoes
Valid Florida Driver’s License with Motorcycle Endorsement

Any other options? The Return to Hohenwald rally s hamigrated  to this same weekend due to costs associated with the facility in Tennessee.

Not to be  a wise ass Doug, but according to the requirements we need a valid FLORIDA license with mc rating...  is this just for florida residents or can us georgia boys and girls play with y'all.  I'm really hoping u meant valid operators license with motorcycle endorsement...

konehead said:
Not to be  a wise a** Doug, but according to the requirements we need a valid FLORIDA license with mc rating...  is this just for florida residents or can us georgia boys and girls play with y'all.  I'm really hoping u meant valid operators license with motorcycle endorsement...

This is available to all states of issue for mcy licenses. We are working on a date that will be exclusive for our club and will allow 5 skill levels of organization. Our novice guys through experts can all have more individualized training. At the end of the day we may do a competition for our club.  :)

We are considering the last weekend of Feb or March. Anybody with blackout dates?

Thanks Doug.  I dont think your gonna be able to satisfy everyone regarding 'dates'.  Your probably just gonna have to just set it, and those of us who can make it will....

konehead said:
Thanks Doug.  I dont think your gonna be able to satisfy everyone regarding 'dates'.  Your probably just gonna have to just set it, and those of us who can make it will....

:iagree: 

Coordinating the event date to available camp sites may be enough of a challenge!  ;)

Jerry
I'm glad to hear you are excited about this course! We are working out final details for our site as we speak. Marty is going to personally examine our intended campsite. We are told it's the nicest and sells out pronto because it's so low price and beautiful.

Holidays were quite busy so we will get this up soon. Intended weekend is March 6/7/8. Does that work for you guys?

Douglas said:
Jerry
I'm glad to hear you are excited about this course! We are working out final details for our site as we speak. Marty is going to personally examine our intended campsite. We are told it's the nicest and sells out pronto because it's so low price and beautiful.

Holidays were quite busy so we will get this up soon. Intended weekend is March 6/7/8. Does that work for you guys?

Works for me

Ok, let me get this straight as to the dates for this event. It was going to be on February 6,7 but is now set for April 4th? If April 4th is the true date, then I won't be able to attend this year. My daughter is getting married on 4-4-20 and I really can't  miss that. Priorities you know.... See you at another event sometime this year.

Hmmmm..... where did u get april 4th.... Doug says march 6,7,8....but it hasn't been set in stone yet....

Always Young said:
Ok, let me get this straight as to the dates for this event. It was going to be on February 6,7 but is now set for April 4th? If April 4th is the true date, then I won't be able to attend this year. My daughter is getting married on 4-4-20 and I really can't  miss that. Priorities you know.... See you at another event sometime this year.

The Februrary dates are for the JenningsGP Sport Touring school. DIFFERENT event.

Dang, senior moment again.  :-[ Too many things happening in the next three months at home. First daughter wedding shower, wedding, second daughter buying a house and  moving, third daughter getting a job after graduating UCF last month, whew. That said, then, YES, i can make this event.  :)

Always Young said:
Dang, senior moment again.  :-[ Too many things happening in the next three months at home. First daughter wedding shower, wedding, second daughter buying a house and  moving, third daughter getting a job after graduating UCF last month, whew. That said, then, YES, i can make this event.  :)

Wow. Lots o' moving parts!!

I still dont see this posted on the calendar.....  are we locked in for march 6-8, or are we still waiting.....??

March is a month and a half away.....!!!

konehead said:
I still dont see this posted on the calendar.....  are we locked in for march 6-8, or are we still waiting.....??

March is a month and a half away.....!!!

Our major hold up for this event is finding a 'tent friendly' campground that doesn't
'strictly prohibit' alcohol, has enough space, and is cost effective.

Campgrounds in Central Florida are for the most part RV parks (snowbird friendly).
Campgrounds that have group tent sites available are County or State owned, and
are VERY restrictive about well, just about everything.

Doug and I visited Moss Park a little while back, and aside from 1 mile ride on
packed gravel to get to the site, has the room available for (2) family sites, but
we're waiting until reservations can be made to secure those camp sites.
"Alcohol strictly prohibited" at this park, so it would have to be Shirley Temples
around the fire at night.

I'm still hunting for better camping.  We're trying.... just not much out there close to the event.

Stay tuned....

Thanks Marty. Not to sidetrack the discussion, just adding "value" there are still two slots available for the Sport Touring day at JenningsGP if anyone wants in, let me or Doug Re know. It's 2/7/2020.

Tic toc... feb 7th.... how goes the planning and date setting...are we good for those march dates or....?????