• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Safe to remove/reinstall front wheel with bike on center stand?

KretonsLC

Can you sufficiently unweight the front wheel and remove/reinstall it without the bike coming off the center stand?

Yes. I put 20 pounds of weight in my top case to make it easier to lift the front. If no topcase use a tieddown from the rar rack to an anchor/weight. I use a floor jack under the header pipoe collection. Use jack stands under the forks after removing the front wheel just in case the floor jack leaks down or a block of wood between the jack arm and frame.
I've done this at least 40 times, never a ptoblem.

I put a hook in the ceiling and tied up the front end to it. As well as blocking up under the header.

I do whats pretty close to lLather plus a block under the headers. I also pull the valve stem out of the rear wheel to let the back tire compress if need be.

I managed to find the Kawasaki jack - cheap - and use it to support the front of the bike while it's on the center stand. Wouldn't pay $600 asking price for the thing, though.

The screw jack from your car plus a homemade adapter/stabilizer plate would work for this purpose too.

Helpful info - thanks all. When you put a block under the headers are you locating it where they enter the catalytic converter?

Last edited:
The jack should be positioned below the head pipe tubes.
You want to raise the bike with the jack located as far forward as possible.
Moving the lift point forward reduces the force required to lift the front of the bike.
Suggestions;
I place both feet {of the center stand} on a 2" x 6" to increase the amount of available lift.
I place a small block of wood {between the jack and the pipes} to prevent scarring the pipes.
I add a strap from the center stand {to somewhere forward} to prevent the possibility of the center stand folding up.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I put mine on the center stand then take a nylon strap from the rear rack down the the bottom of my storage racks that hold my tool boxes. No way it can move but I put some wood under the engine just in case. Rock solid

The bike has to move forward to drop the center stand. I use straps to just barely lift the front wheel off the level. With this approach you still have to remove the wheel fender, however to reinstall the wheel, lining the wheel up and replacing the axle and spacers is much easier. FWIW

I use a cheap scissor jack under from HF plus a small block of wood under the headers for the front tire change. No problems so far.

I also use a jack and piece of wood under the header to get the tire off. I also removed the brake line clips on the fender permanently so taking off the front fender is easy. I did the same with my ZX14.

I put the bike on the center stand, and pull the valve stem out of the rear tire. Then jack the bike up like the others. pulling the front wheel is no problem after pulling the calipers. By letting the air out of the rear tire, I can get enough height on the front so I don't have to pull the front fender for clearance. That said, I won't pull both wheels at the same time while using the center stand just to be safe.

I don't know HOW you guys jack from UNDER the headers and sleep at night?!?! o_O

I have a front stand for light work, but have used jack stands under the forks......and as for lifting, I use a floor jack with a piece of wood under the Oil Tank. It's not real stable, but enough to get the wheel up, and stands under forks.

To each his own!

60 lb bag of cement on the passenger seat for my tire changes....no issues..
This is the simplest way of lifting the front. I don't use cement, but I just use something heavy in the top case. You have three points of stabilization if you count the two feet on the centerstand and the rear tire. The back end goes down, and the front end goes up. Once the front wheel is off, it is even more stable.

Chris

I've taken both wheels off my 2014 C-14 twice now and feel pretty confidant about it.
I remove the rear first. Then I get some 2x4 blocks and Plywood cut into small pieces to fit under the header.
Loosen up all the front wheel bolts.
I get my son to slowly push down on the luggage rack to just get the front wheel in the air. Shim it up under the headers.
Take off the front wheel. Reverse to get them back on. I like to change both tires out at once.
The geometry of the center stand is such that it takes quite a bit of force to move the bike forward to get it off the stand.
And the higher the front of the bike is raised the more force is needed.
I don't feel any more concerned about the bike falling over with or without the wheels on. It does look precarious siting there thou without the wheels on! Just don't do anything radical and you should be OK.
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this.
Nick
2014 C 14

I have a bit of a hoarding problem. You never know when something might come in handy. This 20 lb aerator pump for our septic system failed at least 15 years ago. With it dangling from my rear rack and my normal topcase contents I can easily lift the front end off the ground with one arm.20201216_154840.jpg

I don't know HOW you guys jack from UNDER the headers and sleep at night?!?! o_O

I have done this more times than I can count, it's really not a big deal. I use a scissor jack from a junkyard car, no worries about it leaking down.

I average 4 sets of tires a year & replace in sets. I always remove both wheels at the same time. Remove the rear first then jack bike up until the foot own center stand touch's the floor & the front wheel comes out without removing fender.

I have left it sitting on the jack for up to a week while forks are being done.

Yes Nate, I sleep very well! :) It's a none issue.