• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sample of West Virginia

2andblue

COG Executive Director
Quick three day ~1,100 mile out and back from Eastern PA to West Virginia, including about 450 miles WV mountain playing.

Great roads, awesome and inviting people (seems West Virginians like motorcyclists đź‘Ť).

Here’s a couple scenery pics. If interested I can detail route. Scenery below is Seneca Rocks and Blackwater Falls.

Attachments

• 298D009D-EB17-41BB-ABD0-BF4C7617F58B.jpeg
    298D009D-EB17-41BB-ABD0-BF4C7617F58B.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 910A679A-ABFF-4954-8001-0BFC72CE4552.jpeg
    910A679A-ABFF-4954-8001-0BFC72CE4552.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 115
  • E5B6B38F-D169-49FF-97DC-CB750AA914C8.jpeg
    E5B6B38F-D169-49FF-97DC-CB750AA914C8.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 125
Great pictures! Attila and I traveled through West Virginia a year ago along Highway 50. Beautiful state! Glad you had a fun trip!

Thanks for sharing - If you wish to share you routes, send to me and they can be added to the NE ride library. and posted up once a new home for them on the COG web is created.

COG Northeast has a long history of events in West Virginia because of the terrific roads and scenery. The 2007 COG National Rally was in Canaan Valley State Park. The annual Dog Days Weekend used to be held at Boyer Station until the motel closed, and was held in a few other locations like Snow Shoe, WV, Marlinton, WV, and Staunton, VA. The NE area has an archive of paper route sheets and GPS files.

If anyone is looking to visit WV this year, once again the COG Northeast Dog Days Weekend will be held at the Marlinton Motor Inn August 12-15.

Steve see below write-up on the primary day of WV riding ~ 325 miles. Also please see request furthest below :cool:.

Majority of our riding 'loop' - Day 2 - 10 Steps to WV mountain riding heaven.

Snowshoe was less exciting than expected and views were not as extended / more of an intimate mountainous experience vs a Smokey Mountain / Blue Ridge Parkway open viewing experience such as NC.

No traffic, very little in way of LEO's. Some extended (10+ mile constant twisties sections made me wonder if there was a straight road in WV (no complaints here) plenty of elevation changes and when you had a moment to glance there are lots of roadside creeks, rivers, small waterfalls, farms, livestock. Road surface for the most part smooth, a few wash-boarded tar sections, and very little in way of gravel on roads even after recent rains.
  1. HWY 20 South - Buckhannon to Diana
  2. HWY 15 East - Diana to Valley Head
  3. HWY 219 South - Valley Head to Marlinton
  4. HWY 39 East to HWY 28 North - Marlinton to 66 West Intersection
  5. HWY 66 West - Up Snowshoe to 219 North Intersection
  6. HWY 219 North - Snowshoe to Huttonsville
  7. HWY 250 East - Hottonsville to Bartow
  8. HWY 28 East - Bartow to Riverton
  9. HWY 33 North - Riverton to Seneca Rocks
  10. HWY 33 North - Seneca Rocks to Buckhannon
Steve thanks for posting the ride details at this holy grail area of riding maps. And may I ask Steve where can we gain access to this area? My wife and I have ridden 10's of thousands of miles in PA, NJ, SE NY and are having to branch further and further away from home to get our FIX....

Steve thanks for posting the ride details at this holy grail area of riding maps. And may I ask Steve where can we gain access to this area? My wife and I have ridden 10's of thousands of miles in PA, NJ, SE NY and are having to branch further and further away from home to get our FIX....

The NE Rides archive existed within the member library on the old website. The webmaster is still working out a plan for a nationwide ride database. Until then, the NE ride archive exists only on my computer. I can share with members the route zip files for many past NE rallies locations and printable sheets for others.