• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sargent modular seat/pod vs Corbin C-14

jmilazzo

Now that I figured out my highway pegs I’m looking at replacing my OEM seat. I’m considering the Sergeant modular Pod or Corbin modular pod.
Would like to hear opinions of each. I really like the sergeant modular pod but I’ve seen a lot of people selling theirs here. Is there a problem with them? Is it not comfortable? Not a really big fan of the Corbin modular pod........ looks like the bike has a growth! LOL
Thx
J-
BTW YES, I accidentally posted this in the C- 10 section by mistake!

I like Sargent, and have had them on other bikes, as well as the C14. Initially, the Sargent worked very well for me. I bought it right after buying my 2009 Concours. After about 16-20,000 miles though, the foam broke down enough that it pushed me forward, due to the foam in the nose of the seat compressing too much, which place more weight on my hands.

I bought the Corbin. I like a firm seat, unfortunately, the modular seat had a huge recess, mad for a large butt, which I do not have. There is a hump in the front, that coupled with the deep seat, caused very bad perineum pain fo me. I had initially told Corbin I didn't want the seat so dished, and they agreed to make one with less of a dish, unfortunately they did not do that, they gave me the regular seat they always make. I finally sent it back and had them flatten the seat. Unfortunately, they simply added softer foam to the top, leaving the hump as is, which meant the soft foam compressed around the hump, causing the same pain. I eventually took the cover off and reshaped the seat myself. That is what I should have done in the first place. It is much better, but not perfect. I would have preferred to simply remove the hump initially, to flatten that portion.

Corbin now has a one piece seat that is shaped more like the stock seat. I believe that would be more comfortable for me, and since it has much, and I do mean much, firmer foam, the from will not break down like the Sargent.

The Sargent I had for my RC51 was made from firmer foam than the one for the C14. Had the C14 seat been made of that foam, I believe it would have been better.

I am 5" 11" and when I got the seats in question I was around 155-165. I was a long distance runner, bicyclist, and weight lifter. I didn't have a large enough @ss to fill the deep dished Corbin. I will no knock the product though, they do make a nice seat, if it is shaped to fit you, if not, it is horrible.

My Concours is used a lot for long trips, usually including 700+ mile days. The longest so far was 1200 miles from Miamii to Pittsburgh in one day. I did that on the Sargent. I have done 900 miles in a day on the Corbin. Both were okay, but the Corbin really needs an Airhawk for those distances to really make it comfortable, and it still isn't ideal, for me.

If you really want comfort, get a Russell Day Long. I am planning on putting one on the Concours. I said in another thread I put one on my Ural, and now I am spoiled. It is hands down the most comfortable motorcycle seat I have every used.

I am still using the Corbin at the moment. I like the feel of the leather, it breathes. I also have a Kawasaki touring seat. It is fantastic, but suffers from the same issue as the Sargent, the front compresses too much after it is well broken in, causing you to push forward. Still, it is comfortable on the butt, it just puts pressure up front, and puts more weight on your hands.

If I were to get a seat other than the Russell, I would either ask Sargent to make a standard seat with the harder foam, get Sargent's low seat, which is firmer, or I would try Corbin's one piece seat.