• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2020 SPIDER RIDE

G-Mazz

REGISTRATION IS OPEN and on the event calendar.

https://concours.org/event-3940346 (now links to new calendar)

Please save these dates. Considering some earlier events may be rescheduled to a later date this will avoid potential conflicts.

The 2020, 25th annual SPIDER RIDE is scheduled for September 17th-20th in Steelville, MO. At this time the rally will have the same format as previous years. Thursday meals are your on your own. Breakfast is provided Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. Dinner is provided on Friday and Saturday evenings. Soft drinks and water will be provided all weekend. The format and services could to change depending on the circumstances in September.

Given the uncertainty of the current circumstances I'm not opening registration until it is clear I can safely host the event.
Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that things have taken a significant upswing by this fall.

Until then be safe and make decisions that error on the side of your health.
Take care of yourself and family, Gary Mazzola

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gary!  Already have time off work for this rally.  Unfortunately I just canceled my time off work for the HMR#7.  I'm hoping  things start looking a little more normal by fall so I can make up lost miles from this spring!
:motonoises: :motonoises: :great:

On both our calendars already! as well as my work calendar to take Friday off. This one is replacing Run with the Wolf for Irene and me. Too many hours from Suches, and we will surely miss the SE guys and gals at RWTW. It will be nice catching up with our friends from the NC region. I was able to make the Spider one time before we moved South, and we're looking forward to this one.
Thanks Gary - I sure hope that by mid-Sept the craziness will have subsided.

Jorge said:
On both our calendars already! as well as my work calendar to take Friday off. This one is replacing Run with the Wolf for Irene and me. Too many hours from Suches, and we will surely miss the SE guys and gals at RWTW. It will be nice catching up with our friends from the NC region. I was able to make the Spider one time before we moved South, and we're looking forward to this one.
Thanks Gary - I sure hope that by mid-Sept the craziness will have subsided.

In the past there has been a sizable contingent from the SECOG area. I know I plan on going, directly from RWTW.

See ya there. I do like both rallies a whole bunch, along with HMR.

Goo point... it'll be really good to see you again Steve. I think it's been 2+ years.
We will probably bring our Beast and trailer the bikes. Still early to make the final decision, but those restroom are a Loooonnnng way form where we camped the year I went.

No worries for a long walk Jorge.  We've upgraded and have a porta-potty at the campsites now. 

Since your last Spider we now have catered Friday  dinner of seasoned burgers and Brat with sides.  Saturday dinner is a whole hog roast with 2 sides, salad and pie for dessert.  I'm glad you and Irene are planning to attend.  Looking forward to seeing you and all the SE area guys there. 

Jorge said:
Steve's going... we may have to rethink our plans...

Steve who?
Just kidding. Hopefully I can make down to TWOS, do the NC Spider Pre-ride and stay at the Spider this year.

Hasman-MN. said:
  Looks good for Judy and/or I for the Spider. It'll be good to get the band back together. Right, Steve and Tom ?

:great: :beerchug:

On TDY in Goldendale, WA.

We made reservations at Huzzah Valley quite awhile ago and we are wondering if the Spider Ride is still on and will it be the original dates of Sept 17-20 as stated - or is there a possibility it will be cancelled.  The ride is not on the COG calendar and it is now July 23rd.

The Spider Ride is still scheduled for the dates September 17th-20th.  I have not opened registration yet because I don't want to create a lot of work for Nancy our club treasurer if we have to cancel and refund money. 

I plan to open registration in early August about 5 weeks before the first day of the event.  That will give us the best information on any potential restrictions that may be imposed.  I'm hopeful the current upswing of covid spread doesn't cause a return to earlier restrictions on group size, travel and/or stay at home orders.  Several states in our region are seeing daily records of new cases which may cause problems for the Spider and a few other upcoming events if states pull back on opening things up.

Please continue to monitor this thread for more information as we get closer to the event. 

This will be my first Spider Ride.  I will miss the RWTW weekend.  I'm looking forward to.this new adventure for me

Irene I think you will have a great time.  It is a very nice campground.  I'm riding down this Wednesday to make some alternative arrangements to give us additional space under another pavilion and finalize the meal selections.
You'll enjoy the roads, accomodations, food and companionship.

I'm looking forward to seeing you.  Save me an elbow bump!!

How "in demand" are the cabins and housing there?" I would not mind riding over and staying in a cabin rather than throwing my tent up

Today I made a site visit to the resort.  I checked and three of the cabins have been rented for the weekend.  If you are interested in a cabin I would put in a reservation now.  Be sure to check and the cancellation policy.  There is no need to reserve tent/camping space.  You need to register and pay your tent/camping fees when you enter the property from Hwy 8.   

I should have registration ready and open this weekend.  Thanks to everyone for your patience. 

G-Mazz said:
Irene I think you will have a great time.  It is a very nice campground.  I'm riding down this Wednesday to make some alternative arrangements to give us additional space under another pavilion and finalize the meal selections.
You'll enjoy the roads, accomodations, food and companionship.

I'm looking forward to seeing you.  Save me an elbow bump!!

I'm looking forward to seeing you too.

Irene

freebird6 said:
How "in demand" are the cabins and housing there?" I would not mind riding over and staying in a cabin rather than throwing my tent up

Want to share a cabin with us? 

Irene

REGISTRATION IS ON THE CALENDAR AND NOW OPEN

Time to register for the Spider! I've made a few changes to facilitate outdoor dining (buffet style) for the entire weekend. Everyone should read the letter found on the registration page. It will outline the details and changes from previous years.

https://concours.org/event-3940346

Below is a brief overview of the weekend.

THURSDAY—9/17 (early arrivers)
Please check-in at the Huzzah Valley General Store (red barn as you enter) reserve your campsite or secure your cabin reservations. You will also need to check in with me at pavilion #1 in our camping area. You are on your own for meals, riding, etc. Campfire and soft drinks provided that evening.
FRIDAY—9/18
Check in with Huzza Valley and at Pavilion #1 upon your arrival.
Breakfast served 7:00-8:30 am. Breakfast drinks (Coffee, Hot Tea, OJ, Milk), Omelets, cold cereal, oatmeal.
Motorcycling
Dinner served 6:00 pm. Burgers, Bratwurst, baked beans, potato salad and drinks provided.
Evening campfire
SATURDAY—9/19
Breakfast served. Breakfast Drinks, Omelets, oatmeal, cold cereal, Belgian Waffles.
Motorcycling
Dinner served. Pork Steak, corn on the cob, baked potato, salad, apple cobbler and drinks provided
Evening campfire
SUNDAY—9/20
Breakfast served. Breakfast drinks, bagels, cold cereal, oatmeal, fruit, pastries.
Safe travels

With the modifications I've outlined in the letter and everyone's cooperation I'm encouraged we will once again host a rally you will enjoy attending. So get registered now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve Johnston, Jack Gindra and Judy Ivory for already volunteering your help.  I appreciate your assistance.

Volunteer positions include cooking omelets on Friday and/or Saturday morning or serving food in the dinner line on Friday and/or Saturday nights. 

Great roads, food and friends; Let's do this!

Thanks to the leadership team for hosting this event!  This will be my 8th Spider ride since 2011.    So, I guess my first was the 16th.  I joined COG in 2009, I rode to Tomah, WI in 2010, and the campers at Ft. McCoy all talked about the "Spider Ride"    It is because of this event (and others) that make COG special to me. 

Lisa & I are registered. Yes, we'll be bringing the school bus again.

I might add another solar battery first, and the bike trailer needs some shoring up from my Colorado trip last month, but we will be there.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Stay well!

Registered!  Irene and I plan to be there Thursday evening.
The Beast is staying home until her highway legs are restored, so we're staying in a cabin.

Gary, nice job pulling it all together and with the letter explaining it all!

You guys enjoy this "PREMIUM" event !! Wish I could attend ! Hopefully once this stuff is all over and the borders open I will ! WELL DONE GARY !! as always !  :beerchug:

Thanks Andy.  I wish you could get down her too!  Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada to Steelville, MO isn't too far to travel for a great time.  Besides I need your help making breakfast omelets :)

I was the 25th person to sign up for the 25th Annual Spider ride ride. Is there a prize for that? :) I'm pretty sure there is!  :rotflmao: :motonoises:
Thanks Gary for all you have done for putting this event together!

Thanks, but the real work starts with everyone's current precautions and once we get there.  Planning is the easy part. 
I'll work on a prize just for you Dale.  Don't forget to bring fresh rubber this year. :)

I'm feeling the North Central good vibrations today.  We've got Kevin Beam-AAD in Kentucky hosting the "Dry Creek Rendezvous" this coming weekend, August 27-30th, the "Spider Ride" September 17-20th and Dave McClurg hosting "Hunt for Red October" from the 8-11th.  An event each month and in different parts of the region.  Great stuff happening in our region.

From my end everything is falling in place for the Spider.  So if each of you stay safe and healthy we can have another great Spider Ride with folks from all over the region.  Can't wait to get this show started. 

Now let's get registered :great:

In case there is anyone interested... we have a cabin reserved, and as of now, only three of us staying in it, including Irene and me.
If anyone is interested, let me know.

Jorge said:
In case there is anyone interested... we have a cabin reserved, and as of now, only three of us staying in it, including Irene and me.
If anyone is interested, let me know.

Hoping my place is one of the 3. We need to communicate on the logisitics. I took Thursday and Friday off work. Looking at routes to take avoiding the slab on THursday. NO desire to go down through St louis or Indy. CIcero west and south to US 40 then beyond loooks good to me.

All signed up.

I will be leaving on Wednesday from just south of the Twin Cities. Staying the first night at Elk Rock State Park near Knoxville Iowa. Then plan to be in Huzzah on Thursday afternoon. If it is raining on Wednesday I will probably find a hotel for the night.

If anyone wants to tag along you are more than welcome.

Thought I should clarify. It's just me with the bike and the tent. Joane is staying north with the RV.

Trying to get to the registration page. Keep getting a 404 error.

What Is the link address you are using? If using the ones earlier in this thread, they were pointing to the old calendar and will cause a 404 Error. All the old link came over in the forum migration data. The best way to get to the new calendar is by clicking the Events link in the top menu.

Last edited:
Hey we have 46 registered for the 25th Annual Spider Ride!🕷🕷🕷 That is an awesome turnout everything considered, probably room for a couple of more if someone is interested. Planning is coming along really well. I've finished most of the shopping today, better come hungry. 😛.
I'll place the dinner order based on the registration numbers Tuesday. The preliminary weather reports look great for the event, upper 70's as the high temps and low chances for rain. Beautiful fall weather in Missouri.

Thanks to each of your for having faith and choosing to attend. Remain safe and keep your fingers crossed that numbers don't spike. With everyone's help and cooperation I'm expecting a really great event. If you have any questions, need any special arrangements or dietary needs call me at 314-606-2233 or email gmazzola@sbcglobal.net Thanks again everyone, Gary

This is something I would love to do but will be on a 25th anniversary trip with my wife to the ocean...it takes slight precedent over a ride to MO 😁 Hoping to catch some other NC rides as they come available. Have a great time everyone.

This is something I would love to do but will be on a 25th anniversary trip with my wife to the ocean...it takes slight precedent over a ride to MO 😁 Hoping to catch some other NC rides as they come available. Have a great time everyone.

What a coincidence! This is also the 25th anniversary of the Spider Ride. Seems like a perfect place to celebrate your anniversary. But if you must go to the ocean we'll save you a place for next year.

What a coincidence! This is also the 25th anniversary of the Spider Ride. Seems like a perfect place to celebrate your anniversary. But if you must go to the ocean we'll save you a place for next year.

I must but I'm not all that upset about it. We've been together for 34 years and married for 25 of them. Interestingly enough my wife doesn't ride with me. She lost a good friend to a motorcycle accident when she was in high school and it put her off riding. Regardless of how she feels about riding, she is uber supportive of me riding and didn't hesitate to allow my recent purchase of a 2006 Concours (with only 5000 miles on the clock). Anytime I take a long trip she sneaks a note in my luggage. All I can say is, "What a woman". Have a great day everyone. I'll be posting pics of my Concours when in the Introductions forum as soon as I pick it up after our trip.

Have fun everyone. I have to sit this one out. No, it's not fear of COVID. I had to switch my cancer treatment and the new stuff is making life interesting. I had no problems with the last "miracle pill", except that it quit working. The new treatment is causing some noticeable fatigue issues at the current dosage. There's already talk about reducing the dosage, but for now, it's best that I don't ride 600 miles on the bike. This stuff reminds me of when I was on chemo 8-1/2 years ago. The couch is becoming my best friend.

I hate to miss the Spider Ride. It's the highlight of the riding season for me. The roads are great and the rally is outstanding. I'll really miss seeing everyone who attends. I guess I need to make decisions like an adult for a change. Who ever thought that would happen. It only took 67 years. My wife is not sure I'm there yet, and she is probably right, once again.

I hope to see everyone soon. I signed up for HFRO, so I'm not hanging up riding for the season.

Jim Barron
Cookie

Have fun everyone. I have to sit this one out. No, it's not fear of COVID. I had to switch my cancer treatment and the new stuff is making life interesting. I had no problems with the last "miracle pill", except that it quit working. The new treatment is causing some noticeable fatigue issues at the current dosage. There's already talk about reducing the dosage, but for now, it's best that I don't ride 600 miles on the bike. This stuff reminds me of when I was on chemo 8-1/2 years ago. The couch is becoming my best friend.

I hate to miss the Spider Ride. It's the highlight of the riding season for me. The roads are great and the rally is outstanding. I'll really miss seeing everyone who attends. I guess I need to make decisions like an adult for a change. Who ever thought that would happen. It only took 67 years. My wife is not sure I'm there yet, and she is probably right, once again.

I hope to see everyone soon. I signed up for HFRO, so I'm not hanging up riding for the season.

Jim Barron
Cookie

Wow Jim you're right, something might be wrong with you. You're having delusions of being an adult!:eek: I'm sure that has to be a side effect of the new medication. I know your inner man-child will return soon to dominate. We will for sure miss having you at the Spider. I hope to see you at HFRO. Take care of yourself and we'll have some more great rides like we did at Gathering on the Green.

Made it to AR just fine only to find out that the remnants of tropical storm Beta are going to chase me out sooner than planned.

Had a good time, no doubt. Thanks all. See you next year.

Lisa, the bus/bikes & I are back safely as well. Made a bit of a detour to go visit our daughter in Emporia, KS, adding 150 miles (and 6 hours) to our day, but it was worth it.

Thanks to Gary and all for a job well done.

@SteveJ, stay safe with Beta & see you at Cliff's...maybe :)

A great big thank you to Gary and his team. This was my first Spider Ride and I absolutely loved it. I'm looking forward to next year's event.

Irene

P.S. Here's the link to the pictures that I took during the weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks for the friendly words Tom. It was good to see you at the spider. Also good to meet Irene and Jorge. Also many thanks to Gary and all who put the spider on. It was awesome.

Last edited:
Dave. I thoroughly enjoyed the time. THe crew did a great job ensuring this annual event went off in this time of COVID. KUDOS to them.

I was able to catch up with you and Thor. Riding out and back with Jorge and Irene was a pleasure and got to see some roads that were pretty spectacular (and much less freeze/thaw activity than here in IN). After logging thousands of solo miles it was a bit of an adjustment to get back into a group and a line but I think it improves skills.

See you at the next one....if you hear the Delkevic roll up 1st Street though I may knock and see if you want breakfast over at Sam and Ethel's

Sounds good. Maybe a Kentucky ride sometime. We could get Mitch to meet us in Stamping Grounds and do a loop.

Sounds good. Maybe a Kentucky ride sometime. We could get Mitch to meet us in Stamping Grounds and do a loop.
Pleasure to meet you also Dave. Such a cool story about you and Tom...
We had a really fun weekend. We're looking forward to next year!

Thank you very much Tom and others for the positive feedback. It is rewarding to know that many of you noticed and appreciated the extra safety measures and organization of the rally. In addition everyone was cooperative and did their part to contribute to the overall safety and comfortable feeling throughout the weekend. It was a very satisfying feeling to see everything come together over the weekend. I hope others felt the same sense of "normal" that I did even if it was just for the weekend.
I enjoy serving the COG community. I can't wait for next year's Spider Ride. I've already been working on a few ideas to improve Sunday morning breakfast. Until then everyone stay safe, stay healthy and be smart while riding.