• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

(SC) Big Bend - Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties Rally 2014

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
South Central COG is pleased to announce that on the the 20th through the 22nd of March, 2014:

The 2014 Big Bend - Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties for South Central COG 2014

March 20th through March 22nd, 2014

This year the Rally will be hosted at The Maverick Inn:

www.themaverickinn.com    432-837-0628

1200 E. Holland Avenue

Alpine, TX 79830

[size=12pt]COG rooms are only blocked out until the 21st of FEB. Please make your reservation as soon as feasible.[/size]

SC COG will have exclusive use of the Maverick Inn which will include unlimited access to the heated pool and fire pit "after hours" once we reserve all 20 rooms.  :campfire:  :beerchug: :clap:

This weekend does occur during the "spring break" window so all rooms in this region will be booked quickly as that time approaches. The COG event cutoff is the 21st of February, 2014, so please reserve your room as soon as practicable. The Maverick Inn has great amenities and people so this year we will have the "run" of the place with their great free breakfast, free WiFi, and easy walking distance to good restaurants.

This year we will have prizes and awards at the exclusive COG Dinner to be held at 7PM on Saturday the 22nd, at :

www.judysbreadandbreakfast.com/  with a multiple entree menu for $10 per person.  :celebrate:

The Big Bend and Davis Mountains regions have arguably some of the best roads and scenery for riding  :motonoises: anywhere in the SC region along with the unique geology of the Eastern most expanse of the Basins and Ranges region in the United States.

A guide and maps to the area are available to all riders at the URL below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iworxlm9rg89e1g/n1O_PzO70H

Please make your reservations today! The link to the Calendar and registration is below:

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=195017&mo=3&tDate={d%20%272014-03-05%27}

Craig A. Green AAD COG #5063

Mo said:
I'm interested, count me in.

Mo

Thank you for joining us and I have you in the count for dinner!

Craig

I'd love to do the Big Bend ride again, but I can only get one March/April ride in and Wildflower is kinda "home" for me.  Wish I could do both... AND the National, but weekends off are pretty limited for me. 

Rev Ryder said:
I'd love to do the Big Bend ride again, but I can only get one March/April ride in and Wildflower is kinda "home" for me.  Wish I could do both... AND the National, but weekends off are pretty limited for me.

I know you will miss Big Bend and especially miss the Two Cow!!! :'(

You will be missed too, Chuck! :(

Craig

kv5e said:
Rev Ryder said:

I know you will miss Big Bend and especially miss the Two Cow!!! :'(

You will be missed too, Chuck! :(

Craig
Half cow.... unless Ted has done a LOT of work... er, been really busy... er.. I mean....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

NewGuy said:
I could not find this ranch you speak of. Is there an address mayhap?

It is north of Del Rio but I do not have an exact address and have never visited.

You can get directions from Ted by email:

"If you are interested in camping at Halfcow on the way to Big Bend, contact Ted Adcock at: ted@zggtr.org  for more details"

Craig

The HalfCow Luxury Inn and Suites is a broken down trailer house on a few broken down acres where Ted hosts ne'er-do-wells who drink whiskey and beer and smoke cheap cigars (except when I bring em) and where the truth has seldom been heard but discouraging, or rather disparaging, words along with a spicy bowl of deer chili are freely distributed.  Currently celebrating over two years without a wrongful death suit.  BYOB (bring your own bike/blade/blonde/bottle/bullets/buckshot/etc.)

Ah.... the memories.  :nananana:

Hey, Ya'll go EZ on the Halfcow.....
I bet ya'll thought I wuzn't watching the Forum!

Sheeeezzzz,,,  What-do-ya-want for free? Perfumed beds??  Silly "U"  ???

"""and"""" Fer yore information,,,,, I did do a LOT of work at "the Halfcow" recently.  :)

3 months ago,,,,(or mebbe 4)      I propped up the front door, put some nails in the wall fer hangin' yer clothes, mowed down 1/2 some of the cactus in the front yard Camping area, put a new blanket over the bathroom door (opening), used a gas powered blower and blew the dust off the beds,,,,, put a bug bomb in the cabin ta kill the scorpions/ticks/fleas/spiders/"etc",,,, and swept out 1 room.... 
I figure that,,,, If the Illegals haven't moved in (again),, it will be fine...  :great:

The Halfcow Ranch, Conference Center and Resort,,,, is located near the intersection of Hwy 277 and 377.
                                                                                  (North of Del Rio) Near the Town of Golden Meadow...
                                                                                    EZ to see from the Road, as it's the Only mansion in the area!!
Cost to stay there is $0.00,
but da "great" Food is extry, lie swapin' is extry, shootin' is extry, beds is extry, Moon shine is free (if'n it don't kill ya), sheets are free (b'kuz there ain't any)!
PS: DO bring muney,,,, (by popular demand) we're gonna have the mouse races again.... and the betting gets into sum big $$!!

I'll be bringin' sum Gen-U-ine Deer Chili and Jalopenia Poppers....
(Bring yer own beer/whiskey/moonshine/rum/whatever)
Rev's in charge of the Cheeeeep Ceegars. (Again)
Jim will prolly bring sum shootin' irons.... fer target practice and ta keep the neighbors away.
I'll get Fred ta bring sum burger stuff,,, (mebbee),,,,,

Gonna be fun!

Ride safe, Ted

Well, I got some news.
Danny (Owner of the Halfcow) sed we could use "the halfcow Cabin and LUXURY Sleepin' accomodations" if we promised to clean it up as nice as we find it..  ???
I promised we would do that,,, since ya cain't possibly get it any dirtier!!  :))

Ride safe, Ted

Hey gang! I'm in for this ride! It will be good to see some of ya'll again seeing as how its been like 4 years since my last event. I promise I won't need any knobby tires this time tho  :))

Curtis_Fetters_TX said:
Hey gang! I'm in for this ride! It will be good to see some of ya'll again seeing as how its been like 4 years since my last event. I promise I won't need any knobby tires this time tho  :))

Great! Looking forward to seeing you there in Alpine!  ;D

Craig

CURTIS!!!!

Wow, how ya doing?  Wish I was gonna make this ride.  You be safe now, ya hear?

Hi Curtis. Great to hear your gonna be there.
Hopefully I'll be there too. Had some issues lately that might prevent me going, but I think I can overcome them.

Ride safe, Ted

Curtis_Fetters_TX said:
Hey Chuck! Man, I'm doing a lot better now. :) I'm gonna make the Wildflower Ride this year too so I'll see you there! :great:
FABULOUS!  I'll be looking forward to seeing ya.  I don't live in Kerrville anymore, but I love going back.

Hey Ted!  I hope you can make it buddy. Best of luck to ya!

Chuck, this will my first time down to Kerrville. I'm very excited.

My Goldwing buddy BJ and his lady are trying to make it to both of these events. They are excited too. We love riding the River Road and can't wait to get back on it. :)

Folks! Be sure to mention that you are part of the COG / Concours Owners Group when you call to make a reservation at the Maverick Inn.

We have all rooms blocked out until the 21st of Feb, so please make your reservations soon.

Please register on the SC Ride Calendar so you will be eligible for the prizes to be given away......every COGGER loves freebies! :whoo:

Craig

I am in for this trip. First time there. Unfortunately I have to work Thursday but be riding early Friday to get there. I am looking forward to great roads. See y'all there.  :beerchug:

Dsteve said:
I am in for this trip. First time there. Unfortunately I have to work Thursday but be riding early Friday to get there. I am looking forward to great roads. See y'all there.  :beerchug:

Great and you will have a blast. See you on Friday evening.

Craig

Folks,

Rooms reserved for COG at the Maverick Inn will be released this Friday 21 FEB 14.
This is in the Spring Break time frame so almost all rooms get filled in the Big Bend area.

Please make your reservations soon if you plan to join us and register with the Calendar on the COG online event page in the first post in this thread is you are attending. This will make you eligible for awards and prizes and also assist in the COG Dinner count for our restaurant host in Alpine.

I will provide maps and a highlight summary of the rides and very interesting geology of the Big Bend/Davis Mountains/Trans Pecos region.

The maps and PDF summary will be available for both download and hard copy at the rally.

GPS files for possible routes will also be made available by download.

Ride free,

Craig

I am so excited to see all of ya'll again and to ride these awesome roads!  :beerchug:

I rode the river road last year with the gold wingers and had a blast. Actually got kinda sad when the road straightened out.  :rotflmao:

Thinking. Anyone got a room to $plit. Up for a little ride time, but I'll have to get right out soon after Daytona. Plan on doing it in a day, as I10 lets me move long pretty good. Thanks all

DLT said:
Reserved a room at the Maverick yesterday, see y'all there.

Great! We will be looking to meeting you and your friends in Alpine.  :great:

Craig

fartymarty said:
Is anybody planning on bringing a passport and going to visit Boquillas Mexico?

Martin,

I am not personally and it is a water ferry (small boat) that takes you over the border so no driving into Mexico with the bike.

Interesting that it is an remote reentry with CBP when you come back across at a kiosk that's provided.

http://alpinedailyplanet.typepad.com/alpine-daily-planet/2013/03/automated-port-at-boquillas-to-open-soon-according-to-cbp-and-national-park-service-officials.html

The Half Cow camp is now NOT AN OPTION for those coming to the Rally.

I have deleted the announcement from Ted both within this forum and on the event page. In a private email from Ted he advised that he will not be attending this year due to scheduling conflicts and so the Half Cow will not be manned by Ted for the Thursday night *event*. King Leonidas and the Spartans are relieved that they will not have to stay again at the Half Cow as the accommodations and *terroir* taxed even those hardy and steeled men. :truce: :rotflmao:

From what I heard, after the deer chili and beans, one of these was necessary....

Gas_Mask.jpg

and although it was not a MOPP 4 environment, it was still pretty toxic.
:D

Ride is getting closer and I can't wait!  :motonoises: :great: :campfire:

Craig

Sorry I cain't go.

By the way,,,
It musta been the beer and beans.
Bekaws,,, "Trust me"!  My Deer Chili "Never" causes toxic fumes!!!
Unconciousness,,, "Definitely YES", Toxic fumes,,, never! 

I guess it's a good thing we're not going to half Cow.
Bakaws,,,,,  yesterday I got word that Half Cow has been sold!!!    arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But that's ok.. I have a plan!
I'll talk to the new owners and tell them to expect us next year...

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Sorry I cain't go.

By the way,,,
It musta been the beer and beans.
Bekaws,,, "Trust me"!  My Deer Chili "Never" causes toxic fumes!!!
Unconciousness,,, "Definitely YES", Toxic fumes,,, never! 

I guess it's a good thing we're not going to half Cow.
Bakaws,,,,,  yesterday I got word that Half Cow has been sold!!!    arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But that's ok.. I have a plan!
I'll talk to the new owners and tell them to expect us next year...

Ride safe, Ted

We will miss you Ted! I'll drop a Dr. Pepper bottle off at Arroyo Bocefillos ....... :'(

Craig

kv5e said:
fartymarty said:
Is anybody planning on bringing a passport and going to visit Boquillas Mexico?

Martin,

I am not personally and it is a water ferry (small boat) that takes you over the border so no driving into Mexico with the bike.

Interesting that it is an remote reentry with CBP when you come back across at a kiosk that's provided.

Yep it's a park the bike and walk/float across deal. I just returned from there (Big Bend) on a dual sport ride (trailered) and we
went across for lunch. Just thought I'd throw it out there so those that may be interested know that it is an option as long as they pack
their passport. Pretty secure parking area on the U.S. side, but if there are still some lingering spring breakers around, then the paved parking area
might be full.

I expect the weather to be great since I got a heated liner for Christmas, so that alone should mean it won't get cold since I've a long history
of not experiencing anything that I'm prepared for.  ::) I was on the edge of uncomfortable on the way back last year. I'll be sharing a room with
Butch, so if you like the guy don't let me have any of the deer chili if it's going to be available.  :truce:

Just talked to the Maverick Inn and there are 6 rooms left ,so if you are still thinking about the joining us for the tyre scrubbing, campfires, and great times you might want to call.

Weather in Alpine was great last week and this week as the Arctic air has not made it that far west.

I will have the Rally Guide and Maps done by this weekend and will post a link for downloads. I will try to have hard copies at the Maverick Inn as well.

Ride free,

Craig

Just made my room reservation at the Maverick Inn. Will depart DFW on Thursday AM and ride out with past partners in crime if they care to. May get to Wildflower as well this year!

arjay2 said:
Just made my room reservation at the Maverick Inn. Will depart DFW on Thursday AM and ride out with past partners in crime if they care to. May get to Wildflower as well this year!

Great news Bob! We're leaving Mesquite around 0730 and likely meeting another rider in Venus at the Exxon/Whataburger (SW corner of US 67 and FM 157).

Craig

arjay2 said:

:great:

Which way are you going from DFW area. I have to work Thursday so can't leave until Friday as of today. Please keep me posted on possible meeting spot case I get to leave on Thursday morn vs Friday. I live just north of Dallas.

Dsteve said:
Which way are you going from DFW area. I have to work Thursday so can't leave until Friday as of today. Please keep me posted on possible meeting spot case I get to leave on Thursday morn vs Friday. I live just north of Dallas.

Look at post number 34.......that is the tentative spot to meet on Thursday morning.

Craig

Howdy all, I am still working on the route/welcome package and will likely have it done in a PDF format by Monday.

I'll post a download link, but will also bring some copies to Alpine.

I promise to detail the rides and some of the views/geology for both the southern BBNP/Presidio/Chinati Mountains loop, and the northern Davis Mountains/McDonald Observatory/Scenic Loop in the northern section. There's also some alternates for the Northern ride if you want to take in scenery through the Limpia Creek Palisades/Wild Rose Pass/Star Mountain/Kent/Robbers Roost and then back to the TX 166 Scenic Loop if you really want to crank some miles.

There's a few other roads in both sections N and S, but I have listed the ones that will heat up the tyres and put smiles on your faces.

Depending on the weather, I usually do one of the two one day and the other the next, but I have done both loops in a day. :motonoises: ;D

Martin, Troy, Fred, Butch, Robert, and others can give you their input on the great riding and scenery in this part of Texas so don't be afraid to ask questions!

In the evenings we have a fire pit after supper and get the tall tales and whoppers started along with bench racing. :campfire:

A little over a week.......I am getting pumped!

Craig

One thought.  Caution!

Yea, I know,,, I'm a kill joy. But I know that area!

Those roads are fun and tempt you to ride over your head.  Don't do it! Stay inside of your capabilities.

NOTE: River Road occasionbally has turns that are blind.
            (You don't see the turn until you go over a small hill, then,,, suddenly,, OMG,, TURN!!!!!)
          Be careful; look at the road signs before each little hill as they are very well done and will show what is ahead.
                          watch for gravel and deer in the turns.

Other than that... Have Fun!
That is a great area to enjoy, safely.
Wish I could go too!!  :'(

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
One thought.  Caution!

Yea, I know,,, I'm a kill joy. But I know that area!

Those roads are fun and tempt you to ride over your head.  Don't do it! Stay inside of your capabilities.

NOTE: River Road occasionbally has turns that are blind.
            (You don't see the turn until you go over a small hill, then,,, suddenly,, OMG,, TURN!!!!!)
          Be careful; look at the road signs before each little hill as they are very well done and will show what is ahead.
                          watch for gravel and deer in the turns.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted, I am covering FM 170 / The River Road in detail in the paper. Not only should you respect the blind off camber turns :-\ and sudden elevation changes  :-\, but also  be fully hydrated. You should have your gear on but take some layers off if it is in the afternoon as FM 170 can be pretty warm to hot even in March down along the river.

Watch the helmet in front of you for clues as to which way the road may turn or check the GPS BEFORE you get close to the turn.

This is arguably the most technical road in Texas and it demands your full concentration. Towards Presidio it is less demanding but you can still be surprised at Bocifellos Arroyo and the final decreasing radius curves right before Presidio after 45 miles of curves! :great:.

Also, if you stop at the big hill, be careful and make sure you have a good foot fall as the hilltop contour is pretty crowned and you can find yourself with a pending CDA application! :angry:

Craig

connie_rider said:
One thought.  Caution!

......watch for gravel and deer* in the turns.

Ride safe, Ted

* sometimes the deer are actually Burros and they don't respect you either.  ???

Craig, I'm bringing my good binoculars, so if you make an eve. run to the Marfa lights viewing area (for star gazing)
be sure to knock on my door (or my helmet). 

I went to the Marfa lights viewing area alone once on a dark night. There was a cool brisk wind, so seeking shelter I tucked myself sort of around the corner
of the structure on the west end. I stood there quietly for about 10-15 minutes watching in vain for lights. During that time a family of four had set up their folding chairs
and got the kids all snuggled up in blankets and sleeping bags with sippy cups etc. The Dad was just getting to the point where he was going to be able to sit down
himself and enjoy the evening when I stepped out to leave. His LED flash light lit up all the reflective piping and reflective strips on my riding gear and he
about had a stroke. He got all tangled up in his folding chair and down he went, for just a split second he thought I was an alien. Whether from Mexico
or outer space I'm not sure, but we all (kids too) had a pretty good laugh except for his wife who seemed to be glaring at me like I had done it on purpose. (I didn't
as my eyes had well adjusted to the dark and I thought they all had seen me standing there, as it turned out none had). I apologized but she still glared at me.
It was dark, so maybe I just imagined her glare in the gloom, but I'm sure she didn't laugh with the rest of us.
I didn't see any mystery lights, just the traffic on highway 67 headed back from Presidio. At least I left a family with a story to tell about their vacation.  :hee20hee20hee:

The observation platform that the state provides on US 90 can be a real zoo with folks camped out in chairs, cracking brews, and multilingual hushed whispers as folks Ooh and Aah at the headlights on US 67!  ;D

You almost expect Art Bell to roll up in his RV and start chatting away............

Before we lose our critical thinking skills, there has been reports since the late 19th century of the lights and if you critically read the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Marfa-Lights-James-Bunnell/dp/0970924941

The author includes a multiple year study using the scientific method that comes to the conclusion that a small percentage of the events viewed have no current scientific explanation. James Bunnell used remote sensors deployed throughout the Marfa Plateau to sample night vision video and electromagnetic fields in the near field to the sensors. There are some compelling events that show observed anomalies that are located nowhere near any roads or other man made objects. The frequency of these captures was low (< 3% of the data sets evaluated) so I would not expect to see anything on your visit that is genuine. The people at the observation platform are entertaining though!!! :popcorncouple:

1a-marfa-lights-viewing-area.jpg

267522.jpg

If you do go, you want to look south to the left of the Rohn 80 radio tower with red tower lights in the distance, otherwise you will oooh and aaah at headlights coming up from Presidio on US 67.

Marty, I will bring some small binoculars too as I will not have room for the astronomical binoculars.

Hopefully we will not see/smell Marty do this!!!! Infrared fart :hee20hee20hee:

Craig

We are considering trailering out(no big surprise last few years) and taking the CRV down to the park one of the three days we are there.  I have been out there like 6 times now and there are some things I just have never gotten to do because we are always on the bike.  I hope to get some of the back gravel roads and some hiking in that day.  I think we will pick what day when we see the weather for the weekend.

For those new to the Ft. Davis area, I strongly suggest going to a Star party at the McDonald Observatory. They have them every night on the weekends I think. The weekend of our trip I believe Jupiter and the Orion Nebula will probably be easily viewed.  It's good fun for all and you get a chance to see some truly beautiful things through some pretty big telescopes.  ;)  I go every time I am down there.  :great:

smithr1 said:
We are considering trailering out(no big surprise last few years) and taking the CRV down to the park one of the three days we are there.  I have been out there like 6 times now and there are some things I just have never gotten to do because we are always on the bike.  I hope to get some of the back gravel roads and some hiking in that day.  I think we will pick what day when we see the weather for the weekend.

Not knowing what you have in mind exactly, however, for the best road conditions, I recommend going to Ernst Tinaja from the south end of Old Ore road; the Mariscal Mine from the east end of River road; all of Maverick road should be good for Luna's Jacal and (what I call it) Ansel Adam's point; and also the much shorter dirt roads to Croton Springs and Cattail Falls. I've taken my PT loser on the Grapevine Hills road and it shook like all get out, but it made it, that should be OK for a CRV though. Indian Head is another easy drive and has relatively flat hiking at the end of the road. Pine Canyon road is a bit narrow (you may have to back up if opposing traffic is encountered) and rougher but with care a CRV should be good and that is certainly a place for mountain scenery if that is preferred over ruins and ancient graffiti. Bob, you really should just extend your trip by 3 days and go down there a while after we all head for home.  :)
Of course, I'm kinda biased, I love the place.  :-*

kv5e said:

Now Craig, I'm always on my very best behavior at COG events. However if you see me order French Onion soup, please turn off your FLIR devices,
and remove any open flame from the area.  :truce:

I was thinking of the picture we took last year at the Tee Pees, we should have taken one more with me smiling and everyone else leaning away and wrinkling their noses. I blame you Craig for not thinking of it!  :mad:

edit: Just a technical note to bring all this gas humor to a grinding halt, I think that video is a fake, because the gas in question should have shown up brighter that the surrounding air, not darker. Obviously it was released from a can behind the person and rapidly cooled from the pressure drop and thus showed up darker instead of brighter.

fartymarty said:
kv5e said:

Now Craig, I'm always on my very best behavior at COG events. However if you see me order French Onion soup, please turn off your FLIR devices,
and remove any open flame from the area.  :truce:

I was thinking of the picture we took last year at the Tee Pees, we should have taken one more with me smiling and everyone else leaning away and wrinkling their noses. I blame you Craig for not thinking of it!  :mad:

edit: Just a technical note to bring all this gas humor to a grinding halt, I think that video is a fake, because the gas in question should have shown up brighter that the surrounding air, not darker. Obviously it was released from a can behind the person and rapidly cooled from the pressure drop and thus showed up darker instead of brighter.

Yes it is a demonstration of Bernoulli's and Amontons' as it is obviously from a can and the thermal contour is cold, but it is still disgusting and a great way to get the TSA to pass you through the check point faster! >:D :))

You can blame the Event Host for everything!  :truce:

Craig

Thursday can't get here fast enough. I love my family but Living with four girls (easy) twins 10, 7, and momma I get little quiet time. So ride out will be fantastic.  :motonoises:

They reported 7.5 inches of snow last night at the McDonald Observatory, next week will be 75 to 80 degrees, looks like
Craig picked the right week, good job.

Rally Weather -    ;D

Zonal flow in the upper air regime will keep temps near ideal for the rally. Looks like 70's in the day and high to mid 40's in the mornings for the rally period.

Riders in Texas should be precipitation free for almost all of the ride to/from Alpine.  :great:

There's some hint of isolated showers on Sunday in CTX and NTX, but the moisture return is likely meager so I am not taking any rain gear. For the most part the chances should remain low and isolated in the worse case which makes it easier.

Be sure to bring sun screen and layer for the warmer temps near the Rio Grande.

Ride Guide will be out this evening if all goes well.

Ride free,

Craig
COG MIC for SC

2014 Big Bend Ride the Twisties Guide in PDF and maps are available now at the URL below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iworxlm9rg89e1g/n1O_PzO70H

I will have hard copies and some area maps in hard copy at the Maverick Inn, and keep in mind we have quite a few first time riders this year and this is for their benefit.

Ride Free,

Craig

Will be leaving FloMo Thursday morning - anyone coming from the Northwest side of DFW?

Can meetup with FW or Mesquite groups somewhere along 67.

arjay2 said:
Will be leaving FloMo Thursday morning - anyone coming from the Northwest side of DFW?

The Venus Exxon/Whataburger at FM 157 and US 67, or the McDonalds at the NE corner of I 35 and US 67 would be  good spots.

Craig

Rev,

You know U want to GO!    :))

gre33nmAn

kv5e said:
Rev,

gre33nmAn

Yes I do.  Yes, I keep lookin' at this thread. Yes, I have a bike that COULD go. BUT....

No! No! No! I have to work.  I don't have off.  I am going to Wildflower.  I need a shave, so I gotta make the National and need all my time and money to build the bike for that trip.  I almost need a miracle at this point. 

MUST.... NOOOOOT... THINK..... A..BOUT.... BIIIIG..BENNNNNND. AAAAHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!!

Rev Ryder said:
kv5e said:
Rev,

gre33nmAn

Yes I do.  Yes, I keep lookin' at this thread. Yes, I have a bike that COULD go. BUT....

No! No! No! I have to work.  I don't have off.  I am going to Wildflower.  I need a shave, so I gotta make the National and need all my time and money to build the bike for that trip.  I almost need a miracle at this point. 

MUST.... NOOOOOT... THINK..... A..BOUT.... BIIIIG..BENNNNNND. AAAAHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!!

fm170banner.jpg

:celebrate: :043: :29:

We will miss you!

gr33nmAn

Quit picking on Rev.
He needs to build that new bike/turbo/engine for the National.

Rev,,, calm down. Don't look at the pictures. In fact, don't read the discussion,, WORK ON THE BIKE!!!

Besides Greenman,,, while your picking on Rev,,, your driving me crazy!!!! 

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I like that road!  :motonoises:
I wanna go!!!!!  :mad:

Ride safe, Ted

Oh, you're trying extra hard to make it extra hard.  Your pic with the mountain in it and the 170 sign?  If you look at the bottom left corner you'll see a tiny Presbyterian Church.  I had conversation with those folks about a "call" some years back.  I wasn't yet released to entertain a call and that conversation was shut down by "the powers that be." LOL  Those were some nice people though.

Neat little place.  Ft. Davis could use some pavement though.  :motonoises:

Craig:
The area guide that you created is very nice. I wish I had been given one the first time I rode Big Bend. But now you are putting the pressure on the rest of us. See you there. :)

will be heading out early with 'Denton County' group - may see you on 67

Adios

kv5e said:
arjay2 said:

The Venus Exxon/Whataburger at FM 157 and US 67, or the McDonalds at the NE corner of I 35 and US 67 would be  good spots.

Craig

:-\ :rotflmao: :nananana:  just got back. There are not words to describe that place. Thanks to those who let me ride with them. I hope everyone made it home safe. I want to go back but After 1650 miles I need a few days rest. Good roads great people.

Glad to see you had a good ride.
How was the weather out there? Any Desert Flowers this year?
Did Greenman fall off his bike in the parking lot again?

Ride safe, Ted

Weather was great. No one fell off bike in parking lot. Now coming home was a beating. Cold and rain. But we were riding so could have been worse. As far as flowers I don't recall due people that I was following only new one speed, wfo!!!! I was forced to keep up or be lost in the desert.

Thanks to Craig for hosting a great ride and to Fred as well.

2014 Ride the Twisties is in the books.......

Ok I guess this didn't post yesterday so here it goes again :)

We made it back home. The roads were great and the people even better. Weather was awesome except on Sunday but lucky me, I only had a 2 hour drive home. I feel for you cats that had a MUCH longer haul than I.

Special thanks to Craig for hosting and to Fred and Doug for helping me out with my fork seals :) you guys are great!

Looking forward to seeing some of you again at the wildflower and to meeting some new faces as well  :motonoises: :beerchug: :great:

I want to thank all who participated in the 2014 Big Bend rally, especially all of the first timers!!!!! :clap:

Tyre scrubbing, bench racing, new friendships, rekindled old friendships, and  engaging fellowship was just part of the the great times for those who attended. We had 26 folks attending the dinner and 29 registered for the event with only two no shows at the ride.

The weather for the trip down and the ride was good, a little rain and cold on the ride back was experienced and a detour north from Comanche on TX 16 to I 20 helped the DFW riders to get into the sun and mid 50's temps for the last 3 hours.

Fred Booth had great prizes for registered riders/members and the COG dinner on Saturday night was sumptuous with warm fellowship along with the bread breaking. ;D

I want to thank Fred also for his support in the ride logistics, also Troy Minton for his generous help, and Marty for great pictures to be soon available after he returns from Alpine.  :great:

A full ride report and media will be posted soon as we have pictures and videos of the riding and fellowship.

Now get ready for the Wildflower Ride on the 5th and I earnestly hope to see all of you there for more COG fun and love.

Ride free,

Craig

click on photo to enlarge and then click again for full size.

(Friday 3-21-14)
Morning activity at the Maverick Inn in Alpine Texas.

COG spreads out atop Mount Locke.

Butch poses. (He does that.  :nananana: )

Butch and Marty get stylish at the recently vandalized PRADA MARFA. (vandal arrested)
(this picture also represents how far I can run in gear and then turn around in the 10 seconds my camera will wait for me.)

Butch poses (told ya) amongst the graffiti.

Fort Davis NHS, Butch wants to know "what's cookin?"

Butch and Marty are at ease on one of the officer's quarters front porches Fort Davis NHS.

----------------------------

(Saturday 3-22-14)

COG group shot at Sotol Vista, Big Bend NP.

COG group shot at Santa Elena Canyon, Big Bend NP.
Mexico's Sierra Ponce is on the left of the Rio Grande river in this shot. The right of the river is the USA's Mesa de Anguila.

Just for scale, in the photo above see if you can find the lady in pink.

Stop for Lunch/snacks at the La Harmonia store at Castolon area, Big Bend NP.

COG group parking in the Basin of the Chisos Mountains, Big Bend NP.

COG Dinner Parking, Alpine Texas.

Bike Night in Alpine?

COG Dinner table, inside Judy's Bread & Breakfast.

Dinner panorama

(personally I think the art work on display is much better than last year's)

----------------------------

(Sunday 3-23-14)
While most of the group went home in the cold and rain (so I'm told), I went south to visit friends. I left my ignition on (the wind was blowing from the east and it made so much noise that I didn't hear the warning buzzer that I'd installed.) and then I had to beg a jump start before they could get rid of me. I then rode the River road (FM 170 aka El Camino del Rio) to Redford TX where I turned around and rode back to the park and went up into the basin. Then sadly I left, and rode back to Alpine where, after 3 nights of high living dining, I ate at McDonald's and then started packing. On Monday, the ride home was uneventful except for the great weather. (fm said this last in an attempt to coax more to stay an extra day next year.  >:D )

fm's C14 at the bottom of the Chisos Mountain's Green Gulch.

fm's C14 in the Basin below Big Bend NP's Casa Grande mountain.

Thanks to Craig Green and Fred Boothe, I had a great time once again.  :You_Rock_Emoticon: :sign0098: :c017: :bravo_2: