• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

seats

Hello all
i know there is alot of different options for seats out there, I'm still riding on the stock seat on my bike, and it very uncomfortable.
so i have been looking around and on eBay the have a seat for the gtr, which is the European version of the concours, but it says its a comfort seat with gel and heat.
so my question is, will it fit my 2014, and is it any good.
does anyone have one, or know it there any better than the touring seat.
thanks.

I'm not familiar with this seat, but I hear (from others) that gel is too hot in summer and cold in winter...but that's hear-say. I don't know this myself ...

Out butts are not all shaped the same.
My deceased C10 had a Corbin, my wife and I liked it, a lot!  Many people HATE Corbin seats.
When I bought my 2012, it came with a Sargent seat. Many people really like the Sargent seat, for me, it was torture.
I got a Corbin modular, and I love it!
If you have the opportunity, meet some other COGgers that have different seats, and see how they feel. There are several options, and I guarantee they will not all feel equally comfortable. Find your butt's soulmate  ;)

I know this won't help you, but anyone near Denver looking for a seat change should check out Bitchin Stitchin. The shop I bought the bike from recommended them enthusiastically. They get a 4.9 on Facebook and 4.8 on Google. You take your bike in for a fitting and usually get out three hours later with a custom seat. Supposed to be pretty reasonably priced. I've not used them but plan to when the farkle funds allow.

after a sargent and a laam, i settled for the kawasaki touring seat(not gel) and never looked back... :)

oldnslo_MO said:
after a sargent and a laam, i settled for the kawasaki touring seat(not gel) and never looked back... :)
[/quote
To you the touring seat is better then the Laam?
I have a Laam and the only improvement over the stock seat is it doesn’t slide me to the seat! If he doesn’t want to try to make it better I think the touring seat will be next.

FTB530 said:
I have a Laam and the only improvement over the stock seat is it doesn’t slide me to the seat! If he doesn’t want to try to make it better I think the touring seat will be next.
I have a Laam seat, as well, and am not happy with it.  It's better than the stock seat, but it still pushes me forward and my butt goes numb on long rides.

I've been interested in the Kawasaki Touring seat, but my local dealer doesn't have it in.  They'll order it if I pay, but I don't want to pay until I try it.

Hi
yes i have yet to find a dealer that stocks the touring seat, many people have said that the touring seat is hands down the way to go, as some of the others have said, not everyone is built the same. And its a shame that more dealers don't carry the touring seat so a person can at least try it before dropping $450.00 to $500.00.
the seats on EBay for the GTR might be worth a look, my only experience with gel seating is a pad that a tryed on my stock seat, and it did help. As for heat, my BMW Lt had heated seats and that was defiantly a bonus.
thanks everyone.

P07r0457 said:
FTB530 said:
I have a Laam seat, as well, and am not happy with it.  It's better than the stock seat, but it still pushes me forward and my butt goes numb on long rides.

I've been interested in the Kawasaki Touring seat, but my local dealer doesn't have it in.  They'll order it if I pay, but I don't want to pay until I try it.

I have a friend that's having his Laam seat reworked right now due to this issue. I used it for around 30 miles and couldn't stand it. For me the Baldwin GT has been a clear winner for comfort. I had a corbin before this on my 08 and hated it. I had it reworked custom and that helped a TON but still wasn't prefect. I got this bike with a stock seat and had Baldwin do his magic and love it. It's nice and level like the corbin but with some padding.
I love the combo

rmills944 said:
I have a friend that's having his Laam seat reworked right now due to this issue. I used it for around 30 miles and couldn't stand it. For me the Baldwin GT has been a clear winner for comfort. I had a corbin before this on my 08 and hated it. I had it reworked custom and that helped a TON but still wasn't prefect. I got this bike with a stock seat and had Baldwin do his magic and love it. It's nice and level like the corbin but with some padding.
I love the combo
I'll have to look into the Baldwin.  It seems they're not accepting orders, at this time, however.

P07r0457 said:
rmills944 said:
I love the combo
I'll have to look into the Baldwin.  It seems they're not accepting orders, at this time, however.
I looked at Baldwin’s website and saw the same thing.  No new orders being taken, I need to see if I can book a ride in for an adjustment!

FTB530 said:
P07r0457 said:
rmills944 said:
I love the combo
I looked at Baldwin’s website and saw the same thing.  No new orders being taken, I need to see if I can book a ride in for an adjustment!
Call or email Loren (Baldwin) Ran across him at the Nat in Kerrville. Told us he was coming back. I think there is a thread around here somewhere. Great seat, Great Guy.

Beam me up Scotty... this seems to be a bottomless thread  :)
I think you might be getting the picture right about now. You really need to try one out for yourself to see how it fits you.

Jorge

I can tell you the gel is definitely lower and the material feels great. . Great for around town short rides but it is too firm for any distance riding.
The Touring seat is for sure a step up from the stock but not by much. Both look very nice .
I sat on a bike today at the RWTW that had a Russell Day Long. Instantly I knew that this is the seat for long rides. I dont care for its looks and the wings would be an issue for track days or riding the Dragon but for interstate mile this is the way to go.

I also bought a very lightly used Laam from a fellow COGer and am very happy with it.  Although he had a shorter inseam than me, he had the seat built to OEM height. Took it on some long rides and I love it!

FYI - The COGer bought the Kawasaki touring seat and preferred that.  It's all a matter of personal preference...

+1 on the Russel Day Long.  I bought it second hand from a Cogger.  It is comfortable for 500+ miles.  My only issue with it, is that I still slide forward into the tank, which could be fixed, but not really a necessity as I only do about 1 long trip per year.

Hi Scotty,

I see you are in the North Central area.  I'm in Ann Arbor and have a Saddleman sitting on the shelf if you want to come by and try it.  PM me if interested.

Vinnie

I need to get a better seat. My wife slides forward and even though we have modified it so she slides less she still doesn't like it. I'm interested it the
Modular Seating for 2008-2020 Kawasaki C14. It looks like she would have better luck staying in place. Anyone have any experience with the Corbin, or have any other solution?

Attachments

• Corbin Modular.JPG
    Corbin Modular.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 102
I think the custom Russel Day Long saddle might help you.
They can build anything you want, just have to communicate your needs.
I had one built for me this spring , all black leather with small diamonds sewn in.
My 14 yr old son rides on the back now and his seat has broken in too and he really likes it.
not cheap at 775 but very very nice.
It took a little while to break in, but when it did WOW
Nick
2014 C-14

I have had great luck with a airhawk on the stock seat. Way less expensive then a new seat on works on most bikes. I have had it for 3 years, over 45k miles and have had no problems with it. I love the thing. I put it on whatever bike I am riding. Pretty easy to ride over a 1000 miles a day without having butt pains. Only problem is every once in a while I forget to switch it back and take a bike out without it. Then my butt starts hurting before the first gas fill up.

I need to get a better seat. My wife slides forward and even though we have modified it so she slides less she still doesn't like it. I'm interested it the
Modular Seating for 2008-2020 Kawasaki C14. It looks like she would have better luck staying in place. Anyone have any experience with the Corbin, or have any other solution?

My wife likes the Corbin, she doesn't slide forward on it. I had issues since I do not have a large @ss, and the Corbin has a huge dish to it. With a large @ss, it would fit. The hump in the front gave me horrific perineum pain. I should have taken it apart and shaved the hump down myself, but I sent it back to Corbin, they said they would replace the foam free of charge, and build it up so it didn't have a dish. That would have been good, but they simply used the softer foam we agreed on, on top of the existing foam, which meant the hump still caused issues. I finally took it apart and reshaped the seat and removed the hump. It is much better, but not great.

I recently put a Russell Day Long solo seat on my Ural, and it is absolutely amazing. I am seriously considering having one made for the Concours. I don't like the looks of it on the Concours, but it looks great on the Ural. The comfort has me not really caring how it will look on the Concours, it is that good.

As long as the shape of the Corbin works for you, it can be a good seat, it will fix your wife's issue.

The corbin will work fine for keeping ur wife in her seat. BUTT, be advised the corbin seats are firm (hard) and although they will tell u it will take some time and miles for it to 'break in', it won't. 20k miles and 3 years and mine is still as hard. I use an airhawk on 400+ mile days with a couple puffs in it... alot cheaper than the RDL...

Hello all
i know there is a lot of different options for seats out there, I'm still riding on the stock seat on my bike, and it very uncomfortable.
so i have been looking around and on eBay the have a seat for the gtr, which is the European version of the concours, but it says its a comfort seat with gel and heat.
so my question is, will it fit my 2014, and is it any good.
does anyone have one, or know it there any better than the touring seat.
thanks.
Flyingscotsman,
I think that seats from the ZX-14 will also fit on a Connie. if your looking for an inexpensive sport seat, go to Ebay and look.
Might find something that interests you there.
I have a custom Baldwin on my bike. But I didn't think Loren ever started making seats again.

The best thing you can do is attend a COG rally and ask to set on the bikes with different seats.
Will give you an idea of what is available out there.

Ride safe, Ted

Just saw this;

Ride safe, Ted

I bought a Kawasaki touring seat a few years ago. It moves between whatever bike I'm riding for long distances, and a Butt Buffer pad is occasionally thrown over the driver position for a little extra plushness.

Shorter trips see me using the OEM seat from my '12. The '08's OEM seat is going to get Russelled up one of these days.

Heres my 2 cents from my experience. Stay away from the Sargent low series. Was on my 2010 when i got it used in 2014. HARD AS A BOARD. So i bought a Corbin piece, better just as low as the Sargent but also very firm.. and after 10k miles seems just as firm as when i got it.

So i bought a 2008 gel seat and i thought there was something off about it... maybe the 'gel' insert... so i passed it along to someone who could use it. My research led me to believe the stock seats changed slightly in 2016. So i bought one of those. Its now my everyday seat.

I use the corbin for my long trips but with a air hawk cushion with a couple puffs in it. Ill keep the Corbin until i get my second Russell Day Long modified to my specifications...

Like i said my butts 2 cents worth, butt. (Lol) as someone wiser than i pointed out, everyones butt is different. Sit on some seats to see what feels good..

The Kawasaki touring seat didn't feel much different to me than the stock seat.
My one piece Corbin suits me best.