• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Seattle to Kansas City this summer...maybe

salish14

As a teacher I get time off that most don't, and I'm starting to think about doing a trip out to Kansas City to see my family this summer. I'm a veteran of many solo long distance backpacking, sea kayaking, and sailing trips, but have not gone farther on my bike than a long day trip. I'm thinking I could take a couple weeks, and travel some familiar great country on the way their and back. Late June and July probably.

Any of you done this on your Connies? Stories are fun!

Salish14 said:
I'm thinking I could take a couple weeks, and travel some familiar great country on the way their and back. Late June and July probably.

As a NW'er you might experience unaccustomed high temps and humidity in mid-west.
Maybe look at average temps and general weather in picking the dates. 

Unfortunately, I have doubts how good the Connie would be at  kayaking, and sailing.  >:D  But for long distance adventures on solid ground, it excels. That's what they make them for.  :)

Salish14 said:
As a teacher I get time off that most don't, and I'm starting to think about doing a trip out to Kansas City to see my family this summer. I'm a veteran of many solo long distance backpacking, sea kayaking, and sailing trips, but have not gone farther on my bike than a long day trip. I'm thinking I could take a couple weeks, and travel some familiar great country on the way their and back. Late June and July probably.

Go for it! Considering your other experiences/adventures you want regret it. With your backpacking experience you should have the proper gear & knowledge for moto camping. Leave home with new tires & members handbook!

I average 5 - 6 trips a year, ranging from 4 days to 3 weeks. Sometimes solo, sometimes not. When solo people always want to talk you while gasing up. Campers will come talk to you in the campgrounds, even invite you to eat with them.

It's always a relaxing & pleasurable experience, no matter how often you do it. I'm happiest when I'm riding & camping.  :)

Do it once & most likely you'll be hooked.  :motonoises:

Cliff  :beerchug:

[/quote]

It's always a relaxing & pleasurable experience, no matter how often you do it. I'm happiest when I'm riding & camping.  :)

Do it once & most likely you'll be hooked.  :motonoises:

[/quote]

Thanks Cliff, that's great. I'm so used to backpack camping and wilderness that I'm a little concerned about camping on my motorcycle. I certainly don't have any real love of KOA or such. Beggars can't be choosers, but I will do my best to find forest service lands and state parks to pitch a tent.

I've got that nice top case on my Connie, but know I will need to partially load up the rear seat a little, and maybe get a tank bag!

Salish14 said:
Thanks Cliff, that's great. I'm so used to backpack camping and wilderness that I'm a little concerned about camping on my motorcycle. I certainly don't have any real love of KOA or such. Beggars can't be choosers, but I will do my best to find forest service lands and state parks to pitch a tent.

I've got that nice top case on my Connie, but know I will need to partially load up the rear seat a little, and maybe get a tank bag!

Nothing to be concerned about, State Parks are good, Forrest camping is good. Roadside picnic area's will even do in a jam.  I'm not a fan of KOA's or similar type campgrounds. They are handy when you need to wash clothes. 

All my camping gear goes in a 40 liter dry bag on the seat. Consist of tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, pillow, table, chair, hammer, bug spray, flip flops (for shower), stove & pots. Feel like I'm forgetting something, but that's the majority of it.

I do use a 25 liter tank bag. It holds a 2 liter bladder, snacks, spare gloves, air compressor, plug kit, flashlight, first aid kit, puck, leather-man tool & maybe a couple of other minor things.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Good info Just Cliff. Thanks. Starting to think I may do a broader West of the Mississippi tour with country I already know and love and leave the flat heat and deciduous forests for another year. But long road trip is certain!

Salish14 said:

I've done this route backwards! Started here in Nebraska and headed west. Got family in Loveland, CO so I spent the first night there and then went up Thompson Canyon to Estes Park and then took my time riding around the national park before heading back to I-70. I took that west until it petered out and then got on HWY 50 and kept going west to Reno. From there I kept going west until I hit the coast. Took a right at Redding and went up the PCH all the way to Portland, or as close as I could get before it turned inland. From Portland I kept going north to Seattle where I have more family and spent some time with them there. When I was ready to start heading home I took the northern route through the Cascades to Lewiston where I set my sights on Lolo Pass. From there headed out for the Black Hills. Pretty country, but windy as all get-out! I spent a few days meandering around the Black Hills before going home via HWY 20 through the Nebraska sand hills & the Niobrara River valley. Nothing says "home" like miles and miles of cornfields with the aroma of cattle farms in the air!

Enjoy your trip! I am sure I did!    :motonoises:      :great:  Some photos of that trip for your enjoyment!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

This last photo is what I had waiting for me when I got home. That's what I get for being gone for three weeks without having anyone mow my lawn for me.

enhance

May I suggest stopping at Ft. Larned (National Historic Site) and the Kansas Cosmosphere (Great space museum) while passing through Kansas. I'll let you Google for more information- if you are interested.

Shiny,
I think I've been to the Cosmosphere. I went to an Air and Space museum that an SR71 (to me a top 5 feat of human engineering ever) and an amazing history of flight in WW2. That museum was a boondoggle from some Kansas Senator or something because it was world class and in the middle of nowhere even for Kansas. I love how deeply conservative areas like parts of Kansas are still eager to benefit from tax dollars!