• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Seeking Michelin Advice Please

nickrides

Ok I admit it, I'm a lazy sloth at times, like now. I could search the endless threads but.....

I've gone from the Dunlop RS3's to the 2's and now I'm going to get a set of Michelin's

Question on  my 2014 C-14- What is the Longest wearing model?
Mileage is at the top of my list right now.
Thanks in advance
Nick
2014 C-14

The Michelin Pilot Road 5 is supposed to give the best mileage.

At the last National the Michelin guy was there and told us to wait for the Pilot Road GT.
  { because of the weight of the Connie }
Just looked to see if their available; The Pilot Road GT advertisement seems to indicate better performance than the Pilot Road 5 {??}
If so, performance usually means softer compound. {??}

So, Check the info before purchase.

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/michelin-road-5-motorcycle-tire/p/59812

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/michelin-pilot-road-5-gt-motorcycle-tire/p/65829

Ride safe, Ted

I put a set of Road 5 GTs on my 2014 a couple of months ago so I can't speak to longevity.  I can tell you they are excellent tires and a fitting sequel to the PR4 GTs I had on the bike previously.  The 4's lasted me about 13K miles.  Took the OE tires off at around 8K miles and pulled the PR4s off at around 21K.  I'm not going to complain about that.  The front tire was pretty bad but probably could have gone another 500 miles or so.  The back tire probably could have stayed on for another 1000.  Didn't see the point in pushing it. 

I had better mileage and I thought performance with RS3's. Ran the PR4GT's twice, 7100 and 7300 miles respectfully. RS3's went 9100 (riding a lot of 2 up) and had more life left than the GT's with 2000 more miles. Traction under wet conditions was superior with the RS3's. And the Dunlop tire required quite a bit more wrestling to get them on and off the rim. The Michelins required me to use my air compressor more to keep them properly inflated.

I put on a set of PR5 (non GT) last Spring.  Got 8810 miles before change, and could have easily gotten another 1000 out of them.  I found they did well in the rain and were great in the corners.  I can't speak to the RS3's.  Of course, everyone's mileage is dependent how how they ride their bike and the road surfaces have a lot to do with wear. 

Steve

I just tried to get a PR5GT rear for my C14, and there is no stock due to Covid limiting their manufacture.
Managed to get a PR4GT though so going with that as the current tyre is now illegal for UK road use.

Freddy
Thanks for that advice on the Road Pilot 2's
Thats what I'm looking for, maximum mileage.
Nick
2014 C-14

Nick,
Not so good news, I love PR2's. I have run several on my machine.  But I am sorry to inform you, if you ride hard(which it sounds you do), you will only get 4500-5500 miles out of of the PR2's. You can get 10,000 miles on a set, but must be at a pedestrian pace. Plus they are no longer produced and getting pricey.  They will wear very evenly, and handle great  right to the end.  I did do 1 set of PR4's, but they wore unevenly, and got weird at 5500 miles. They  had a lot of tread left but ...were shot.

I like the Dunlop RS II's for the money right now but am interested to hear about the PR5's. The PR5's are pricey. 
I suggest that you get a pair  of PR5's, flog the sh_t out of them, and report back to your COG brothers.

You guys that report these tire sets that go 10k + make me very jealous.  :'(
I'm in the 5-6k, if I'm lucky club, sometimes less.
So I'm thinking now that my next set will be the Michelin Road 5 GT
That sounds nice.
I wonder if I get the GT version will my sex life will pick up?
Nick
2014 C-14

No.... and the gt version has been very poor on mileage.  Have a buddy who has them on his 2011 c14... he's gonna be lucky to get 5k.  He is not a happy camper and has his angel gts ready to swap out already....

Do your homework in the future.......