• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sena 10U Battery Life

hexrays

So I've had my Sena 10U in my Shoei Neotech for just over a year now. Most of my riding is a short commute to work. When I get the low battery message I charge it to capacity, not paying attention to how long the battery life is over the multiple trips back and forth.
Last weekend a couple of buddies and I went on an all day ride. One has a Sena 20S and the other a Sena 10R. All of them got a full charge prior to the ride and we were intercommed up. We rode for about 3.5 hours and stopped for lunch. We continued our ride after eating and about an hour or less into it I got the battery low message. Ten minute after that the thing went dead.
Emailed Sena and was told to do a fault reset. (Not sure how that affects battery life, but okay). This Friday I will be bringing the helmet into work. My coworker (who has the 20S) will bring his in also, we'll set up the intercom and let them sit to see how long mine lasts. By the way, after I lost my battery they continued intercom service until the ride end, about 8 hours.
Anybody have an experience with short battery life on a 10U?

Simply turning an intercom on a leaving it is not a very accurate way to determine battery life. The more conversation that goes on between units, the shorter the life of the battery. Transmitting takes more power than receiving.

It's not impossible that your battery has taken a "set" due to being re-charged before being fully (or almost fully) discharged.

All that being said, I've got a Sena SMH5. The buddy I most often ride with has a Sena 20S. On an all day ride, I'll get about 6 hours; he'll get 8+.

We have the 10 series on our helmets and I notice a shorter charge life on colder days.

My brother and I both have Bilt helmets with built in Sena SMH5 and we have done a 14 hour day talking all the time and trust me we can blab. We have also done some other long rides and we have never run out of battery.

Ranger Jim said:
Simply turing an intercom on a leaving it is not a very accurate way to determine battery life. The more conversation that goes on between units, the shorter the life of the battery. Transmitting takes more power than receiving.

It's not impossible that your battery has taken a "set" due to being re-charged before being fully (or almost fully) discharged.

All that being said, I've got a Sena SMH5. The buddy I most often ride with has a Sena 20S. On an all day ride, I'll get about 6 hours; he'll get 8+.
Thanks Ranger. I thought about simply leaving them on might not be a good test, but if my buddies S20 lasts longer than mine at least I have something to compare with. Besides Sena's tech support is waiting to hear back from me. I don't have the opportunity to plan any lengthy rides for a while. I just might take the opportunity and take advantage of holiday sales and get something different. Been looking at the Cardo Pack Talk Slim.

If your riding buddies all have Sena units, I'd advise sticking to Sena.  Unless the technology has changed, you can pair with other like devices with no issues and get all the features that way.  When you do a universal pair of different manufacturers, you then pair as if you had a cell phone.  There's less range and more hassles on both parties pairing.

It sounds like you may have an issue with the device.  Follow up with Sena.  I just sent my 10C back to them.  As the customer service person wrote, they don't do repairs, just replacements.  Chances are, you'd get a brand new device.

Chris

Daboo said:
If your riding buddies all have Sena units, I'd advise sticking to Sena.  Unless the technology has changed, you can pair with other like devices with no issues and get all the features that way.  When you do a universal pair of different manufacturers, you then pair as if you had a cell phone.  There's less range and more hassles on both parties pairing.

It sounds like you may have an issue with the device.  Follow up with Sena.  I just sent my 10C back to them.  As the customer service person wrote, they don't do repairs, just replacements.  Chances are, you'd get a brand new device.

Chris
Thank for the advice Chris!

Agree with Ranger Jim - just turning on the headsets isn't a fair assessment of battery life.  Too many variables - and honestly, you'll never be able to gauge a true days' worth of riding off the bike.

I have a set of 20's, and generally get about 8-10 hours of music streaming, and talk when I have a passenger.
I also communicate with a riding buddy who has an older 5 or 10 unit, and his will consistently die under 4 hours of use. 

A little more scientific research would suggest you find out what type of battery and capacity is in the 10u in your helmet.  Methinks its smaller than the external units like the 20s.
Also, I have to disagree with RJ on the "batttery memory" philosophy:  most of these units have Lithium Ion batteries now, and don't suffer the "memory / topoff" issues that NiCad batteries of yesteryear once did.

Likely, you have a bad battery, or some bad software management -- or simply a much smaller capacity battery pack then the external units.

I had ALOT of issues (mostly quality control) with my 20S's when I first purchased them.  Sena was good about replacing them, but the process was long and slow.  Updates to the software can be had quickly and easily from their website, and by connecting to your computer via USB.
4 years later, and I have finally come to grips with how they work, and I truly love having this system!
Indispensable, and makes riding much more enjoyable and safer.

I recommend keeping them up to date, as their software and firmware tends to change FREQUENTLY.

Keep on SENA, and they'll get you sorted, but it may take a few tries.

gr

Sena 10-

Replace the 600 ma Lithium battery with a new battery.

They are available on ebay. Simple solder job.

10+ hours on a new battery.

kv5e said:
Sena 10-

Replace the 600 ma Lithium battery with a new battery.

They are available on ebay. Simple solder job.

10+ hours on a new battery.

That's a small battery by cell phone standards, these days.

But good advice.  Got a link for inquiring minds???  :)

gr

Search for it on ebay...you know how to do that! :beerchug:

I've seen other Sena models where users have replaced their battery themselves. I have a 20S and definitely not getting the long 7-8+ hrs like when it was new, more like 5 to 6 hrs now. Luckily I found a YT video on how easy it is to replace... https://youtu.be/vzzTNr96BWA

And yes, mine is out of warranty. Definitely going to replace my battery in spring when I'm riding more, but good to know what it takes. Will be ordering the battery next year in February.

kv5e said:
Search for it on ebay...you know how to do that! :beerchug:

Allright smartass.....I guess I earned that one.  ::)

It's not me who needed it - I thought maybe it would be more productive for the OP to match the same parts
with a link of the one you got off ebay. 

I mean - It's not like there's only ONE offering on ebay when you type in such things.....it's like getting the phone book, and then some.  :-[

gr