• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shaft drive ADV options?

KretonsLC

I love my '12 C-14 and don't plan on replacing it anytime soon, but for my next bike I'm thinking about a road oriented large displacement (liter or larger) ADV bike with shaft drive. Just ADV enough to do the occasional gravel road and manage some of the crappier county roads.

Besides the BMW GS1250, Triumph Tiger 1200, and Yamaha Super Tenere, are there any other options? I know Honda discontinued the VFR1200X several years back, so by the time I might be getting an ADV any of those might have too many miles on them.

V-Strom, HD, Ducati
2018-Ducati-Scrambler-Desert-Sled-Bike-Review-2121.jpg

Harley-PanAmerica-Adventure-Tourer-3-696x560.jpg
2018-Suzuki-V-Strom-1000XT-Review-adventure-motorcycle-3.jpg

OOPS, sorry, just saw shaft drive, well, yeah, you are limited, but the HD might be belt.

The HD is chain, a belt off road would never do. You would end up with a piece of gravel stuck between the belt & drive hub 1st thing. Then you would have a broken belt or locked up wheel.

Shafts seem to be disappearing, chains are lighter & cheaper.

Everyone who has one raves about the v-strom, nice looking, tons of aftermarket stuff, with only a redesign or two it's been on the market for awhile and not too expensive I don't think. Of course there is the smaller 650cc too.

I love my '12 C-14 and don't plan on replacing it anytime soon, but for my next bike I'm thinking about a road oriented large displacement (liter or larger) ADV bike with shaft drive. Just ADV enough to do the occasional gravel road and manage some of the crappier county roads.

Besides the BMW GS1250, Triumph Tiger 1200, and Yamaha Super Tenere, are there any other options? I know Honda discontinued the VFR1200X several years back, so by the time I might be getting an ADV any of those might have too many miles on them.
If you're truly interested in a VFR1200X, go to your local dealer and have him search the warehouses. One of our local dealers just sold a leftover 2017 for $8k. There are lots of them on Cycletrader.com

Moto Guzzi Stelvio. I think it's out of production but you should be able to find one on the used market. V-twin torque and shaft drive.

Moto Guzzi Stelvio. I think it's out of production but you should be able to find one on the used market. V-twin torque and shaft drive.
Thanks - I forgot about the Stelvio. It is a cool looking bike and those with that 8+ gallon tank could probably go 350+ miles between fill-ups!

My son has a Moto Guzzi and it has been very reliable and pretty easy to work on . I might consider one myself .

Interesting I had the same idea and same bikes in mind!! Highly interested in the Tiger 1200 and Super Tenere.

I know newer Super Tenere's are hard to find and dealers can't get 'em in. I found a few owners locally and might pull the trigger this summer. Just need to clean up the C14 and do the maintenance before moving on.