• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shinko 777HD and fitment on Mean Streak wheel

cragantler

Here's the background.
My rear Battleax B45 is wearing low to the point of not passing an upcoming inspection.
Decided to speed up the fitting of the Mean Streak rim. Since I have a B45 on the front, I wanted to keep bias on the front and back until I get to the point of getting a ZX7 front and then go radial on both.
Purchased a Shinko 777 HD, 160/70-17 as mentioned in the Mean Streak conversion tech page.
Kept the tire in the sun for 1/2 a day and spooned it right on. Not too difficult. :)
Not as bad as a Dunlop 606 :mad:
Could not get the bead to pop. Bead lubed, tie strapped and all. Thought for sure my compressor had seen it better days after 10 years. Not a big one, just a pancake. Tried the larger compressor at work, still no luck.
Decided to,swing by the local Honda M/C dealer on way home. Tech tried with 2 straps and could not get it. They questioned me was if it was a sport bike rim. I told them it was a cruiser rim and a crusier tire.
Stopped by on way home and they had it done. Owner had to come in from being retired and show the kids how to set a bead.
Supposedly took him a 1/2 hour but got it.

So questions are:
should this particular tire be that difficult to set?
are tires difficult to set on the Mean Streak?
or ????

Thanks, Doug

Always had tire mounted at different shops on the mean streak rim never heard a complaint, witnessed one put on without a hitch. Mostly Avons an Michelins though.

I too had a hard time getting a 777HD to seat on my C10 stock 16" wheel.
Had it strapped and could not get the bead close enough to hold air to start the seating.
A friend saw me struggling and poured water around the bead as I was trying.
Lo and behold, it started. The water appears to momentarily fill the gap.
Of course the second set of hands was also a help.  :)