• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shoodaben Mountain Runner Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

connie_rider

Member
Member
LSG, Your timing was impeccable. I wuz getting a little queasy;
                Getting back to the subject..............

I was one of the Beta testers on this flash. (and all of Steve's previous Flashes)
  I was "particularly" impressed by this one. 
        Steve really did some MAGIC on the Mountain Runner.
 
Until now; I kept my mouth shut, and monitored the discussion's; {to see what the new guys think about the Mountain Runner}.
                    Most of what I've seen is comments on how hard it accelerates and how fast the bike goes.
                      "Heck", that wuz the EZ part.

I have to tell you; Ya'll are missing the point of this new Flash....

Steve's previous Flashes, {Particularly the EVO} "already" improved the power and acceleration. {Thank you Steve}  :allhail:
The purpose of this new Flash was to improve how the bike rides the curves....
  NOTE: The changes he made this time also make the bike easier to ride in normal circumstance's. {like commuting}.

ie; He did all of this by improving the initial Roll-on Smoothness, controlling the torque curve, and enhancing the engine braking.
      Ya'll will notice, there has been little discussion about this BIG THING!!!

Lastly; What ya'll "also" seem to be missing is;  these changes make "You" smoother.
          All the Old Guys {like me} already know this, but {B'cuz I'm a nice guy} I'll lay it out for you New Guys..
                          Smoother is Faster!!  Thinkaboutit..  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

Let the FLAME's begin..    Buncha Rookies!!!  :rotflmao: :nananana: 
 

ZXtasy

Member
Member
I'll get back to you in 4 months or so on that mountain riding bit....inconvenience of this thing called Winter. Any hard cornering mountain riding that its. I don't think I missed the point...it is better, worth the price, and will only really start to shine in the coming months. IMHO.

Not new to riding but new to this Connie, and she definitely was a handful to try to keep smooth in the really tight stuff I found last summer. Already can feel the difference and know it will be an absolute win in the same conditions. Only problem then will be it highlighting the suspension weaknesses and my CC bill to Ohlins shall get outrageous.
 

connie_rider

Member
Member
I hear ya..
  Danged Winter..
      Heck, it snowed in Houston last week!
          Was 2 or 3 days before we could ride again!!  :mad:

Ok, I've been a smarty eleck long e'nuff. Hope I didn't pz anyone off?
  My intention was to emphasize the improvements on this flash and stir some discussion.
      This thing is great!
  Hopefully this won't be a long winter for ya'll.

Ride safe, Ted
 

strum

Member
Member
Ted you are spot on.  I didnt explain this part well and you are right that was the point and "Biggest" issue Steve was trying to work out.
  He told me that after riding up here at the national (Helen) he went  to work developing the EVO .
  Then he he started work on the Mountain Runner after listening to feedback from riders who ride these type of roads often.
  The end result is a tune that does just what you(Ted) said.
I had a friend the other day say to me that he was impressed at how much better and smoother he sees me take the corners.
I never brought up the flash or coherence this statement from him. He is a guy who I have ridden these roads with quiet a bit in the last year or two and we know each others riding styles well. So when he said that I knew its because the tune has helped me tremendously. Not because Im any better on my own .
  Ted is right smoother is faster and I have to add, I do feel safer too because of it.
 
 
 

 
 
connie_rider said:
LSG, Your timing was impeccable. I wuz getting a little queasy;
                Getting back to the subject..............

I was one of the Beta testers on this flash. (and all of Steve's previous Flashes)
  I was "particularly" impressed by this one. 
        Steve really did some MAGIC on the Mountain Runner.
 
Until now; I kept my mouth shut, and monitored the discussion's; {to see what the new guys think about the Mountain Runner}.
                    Most of what I've seen is comments on how hard it accelerates and how fast the bike goes.
                      "Heck", that wuz the EZ part.

I have to tell you; Ya'll are missing the point of this new Flash....

Steve's previous Flashes, {Particularly the EVO} "already" improved the power and acceleration. {Thank you Steve}  :allhail:
The purpose of this new Flash was to improve how the bike rides the curves....
  NOTE: The changes he made this time also make the bike easier to ride in normal circumstance's. {like commuting}.

ie; He did all of this by improving the initial Roll-on Smoothness, controlling the torque curve, and enhancing the engine braking.
      Ya'll will notice, there has been little discussion about this BIG THING!!!

Lastly; What ya'll "also" seem to be missing is;  these changes make "You" smoother.
          All the Old Guys {like me} already know this, but {B'cuz I'm a nice guy} I'll lay it out for you New Guys..
                          Smoother is Faster!!  Thinkaboutit..  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

Let the FLAME's begin..    Buncha Rookies!!!  :rotflmao: :nananana:


My "rookie" impressions of the flash are just the remarks made by a 'beginner" and I obviously missed the whole point of Steve's improvements.  In the future I'll leave all truly valid impressions to the "old guys" that are "nice guys" to us "new guys".  Obviously, reading my previous, invalid impressions, I never mentioned "smoothness" of roll on or decel/engine braking, removed all the herky jerky and smooth power all the way thru the power band...oh wait, yes I did.  I have an innate love of the condescending, but that's just my "rookie opinion" that missed the whole point of Steve's great work. 
Ride safe, Motodoc

Steve IS the Jedi C14 Master..  Opine of a Rookie!!!  :I missed the whole point:  :condescendingprick:
 

jerdurr

Street Cruiser
Motodoc said:
connie_rider said:
LSG, Your timing was impeccable. I wuz getting a little queasy;
                Getting back to the subject..............

I was one of the Beta testers on this flash. (and all of Steve's previous Flashes)
  I was "particularly" impressed by this one. 
        Steve really did some MAGIC on the Mountain Runner.
 
Until now; I kept my mouth shut, and monitored the discussion's; {to see what the new guys think about the Mountain Runner}.
                    Most of what I've seen is comments on how hard it accelerates and how fast the bike goes.
                      "Heck", that wuz the EZ part.

I have to tell you; Ya'll are missing the point of this new Flash....

Steve's previous Flashes, {Particularly the EVO} "already" improved the power and acceleration. {Thank you Steve}  :allhail:
The purpose of this new Flash was to improve how the bike rides the curves....
  NOTE: The changes he made this time also make the bike easier to ride in normal circumstance's. {like commuting}.

ie; He did all of this by improving the initial Roll-on Smoothness, controlling the torque curve, and enhancing the engine braking.
      Ya'll will notice, there has been little discussion about this BIG THING!!!

Lastly; What ya'll "also" seem to be missing is;  these changes make "You" smoother.
          All the Old Guys {like me} already know this, but {B'cuz I'm a nice guy} I'll lay it out for you New Guys..
                          Smoother is Faster!!  Thinkaboutit..  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

Let the FLAME's begin..    Buncha Rookies!!!  :rotflmao: :nananana:


My "rookie" impressions of the flash are just the remarks made by a 'beginner" and I obviously missed the whole point of Steve's improvements.  In the future I'll leave all truly valid impressions to the "old guys" that are "nice guys" to us "new guys".  Obviously, reading my previous, invalid impressions, I never mentioned "smoothness" of roll on or decel/engine braking, removed all the herky jerky and smooth power all the way thru the power band...oh wait, yes I did.  I have an innate love of the condescending, but that's just my "rookie opinion" that missed the whole point of Steve's great work. 
Ride safe, Motodoc

Steve IS the Jedi C14 Master..  Opine of a Rookie!!!  :I missed the whole point:  :condescendingprick:

Motodoc, i'm pretty sure Ted wasn't trying to be condescending; in fact, Ted is one of the nicest guys in the forum, I can certify that. Don't forget, communication by text loses a lot of due to subjectivity of how the reader sees it, etc.
All i'm trying to say, is that I'm pretty sure he was just joking.

Cheers guys :)
 

connie_rider

Member
Member
Thanks JD: Your correct I was funnin' to move the discussion to the improvements.

Good point Motodoc. {You clearly stated it & I agree} some of the "Posters" are right on the mark..

That's why I sed;  Most of what I've seen is comments on how hard it accelerates and how fast the bike goes.
                          Ya'll will notice, there has been little discussion about this BIG THING!!!

I shoulda mentioned; I've been monitoring this discussion {and several others} on both Forums.
                                In all, the overlying expressions were; how hard it accelerates and how fast the bike goes.
                               
                                Steve spent a lot of time improving on his last Flash. {Which is already great}
                                I'm trying to help folks focus on the difference's.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Stirring the pot sometimes works to bring out idea's..
      {and; ok, I admit it} Sometimes it's fun to pick on the "New Guys".. <evil grin>
        Flame on!!
 

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
Poor Ted, now even the new guys are doggin' him  :eek:

Don't worry, I knew you were just messin' around, but then it's cus I know you  :'(  ;)

Steve
 

kawafornia

Tricycle
Put my MR-equipped C14 through its first paces, Sunday. Definitely smoother at low throttle, but with all the engine braking of before. More stable and confidant, coming out of turns. Thanks, Steve.
 

Just Cliff

Member
Member
connie_rider said:
        I was one of the Beta testers on this flash. (and all of Steve's previous Flashes)
  I was "particularly" impressed by this one. 
 
Ride safe, Ted

I'm crushed Ted, I put you up, feed you, lead you around on rides & you treat me like a red headed step child keeping secrets from me  :'(. You get the barn & cold ceral when you come back.

connie_rider said:
I hear ya..
  Danged Winter..
      Heck, it snowed in Houston last week!
          Was 2 or 3 days before we could ride again!!  :mad:

Ride safe, Ted

When you had snow I had 65* & sunshine. I was riding  :nananana:.

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Poor Ted, now even the new guys are doggin' him  :eek:

Steve

Bash away new guys. After all that's we keep Ted around  :rotflmao:!

Cliff  :beerchug:
 

connie_rider

Member
Member
Somehow,,, I think the topic has shifted from the Mountain Runner Flash to pick on Ted...  :'(
  Not sure why I got that idea??  :41:

Cliff, I did tell you I had one. You wuzn't listening. {again}  :p
I also told you I wuz having to test it in Houston, (which sux) and you could try it when I come up there..  :nananana:

NOTE: The barn & cold cereal is fine with me; as long as I get to ride Arkansas!!  :motonoises:

Ride safe, Ted
 

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor

I'm crushed Ted, I put you up, feed you, lead you around on rides & you treat me like a red headed step child keeping secrets from me  :'(. You get the barn & cold ceral when you come back.



Cliff 
[/quote]

  Ted came in right near the tail end of development, he was really miffed that you dog him so bad in the Arkansas curves, and he needed me to do some work on 5th gear for him specifically to be able to stay up with you. I am not a miracle worker, but I sure tried to speed him up, Cliff .  :motonoises:  Steve
 

Just Cliff

Member
Member
connie_rider said:
Somehow,,, I think the topic has shifted from the Mountain Runner Flash to pick on Ted...  :'(
  Not sure why I got that idea??  :41:

Cliff, I did tell you I had one. You wuzn't listening. {again}  :p
I also told you I wuz having to test it in Houston, (which sux) and you could try it when I come up there..  :nananana:

NOTE: The barn & cold cereal is fine with me; as long as I get to ride Arkansas!!  :motonoises:

Ride safe, Ted

My wife says I only half listen. Okay since I was ignoring you, uh I mean not listening you can sleep in the house & have hot meals  :).

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
  Ted came in right near the tail end of development, he was really miffed that you dog him so bad in the Arkansas curves, and he needed me to do some work on 5th gear for him specifically to be able to stay up with you. I am not a miracle worker, but I sure tried to speed him up, Cliff .  :motonoises:  Steve

I always ride slow when Ted's with me, just don't tell him that.

Okay, back to regularly scheduled programming. Sorry to OP & Steve for the slight derailment.  :-[

I'll be getting this flash done once my bike is current on service this winter. Waaay past due & I mean waaaaaay past. It should be in good tune before a reflash to make a fair judgement.

Cliff  :beerchug:
 

connie_rider

Member
Member
That's ok,,, I don't mind being {called} old and slow.
I admit it, I don't want to go to jail. {again}
That makes me a better representative of the other "honest" folks that are trying to decide which flash to buy.

For those of you that ride with your hair on fire,,,, this thing is fast, accelerates like a bullet!  :rotflmao:
For those of you that {like me} don't have a lot of hair to burn, this thing is smooth.. {great thru the curves and in traffic)
[which {not mentioning any names} make's you faster {with more control in the curves} than the liars out there]    :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted
 

gsled

Member
Member
Well Steve I think you have broken through the rust on my wallet hinges with this flash. :)) I'll be in touch for particulars.
 

bobgroger

Training Wheels
Yep, mine is boxed up and ready for a trip to sunny Fla. Everybody wants fast, but I have to try REALLY hard for smooth. I would prefer it just happens. Don't forget the December discount, $35 off!
 
I rode up to Steve's on Saturday and got the MR flash.  Steve did all the work, I just had to wait anxiously.  I'm not a very aggressive rider like you other guys since the old lady is usually on the back but it definitely pulls better from at least 2000 up.  Smoother power but the biggest thing I noticed was the smoothness when you let off the throttle.  No jerky helmet banging.  Mileage is up but since I didn't notice what it was, I can't tell now except the average number continues to climb.  So get a tune for Christmas!

For Sale $$$:  Highly coveted black Shoodaben Engineering decal (my bike is black) ;D

F

 

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
Member
Fountainclimber said:
I rode up to Steve's on Saturday and got the MR flash.  Steve did all the work, I just had to wait anxiously.  I'm not a very aggressive rider like you other guys since the old lady is usually on the back but it definitely pulls better from at least 2000 up.  Smoother power but the biggest thing I noticed was the smoothness when you let off the throttle.  No jerky helmet banging.  Mileage is up but since I didn't notice what it was, I can't tell now except the average number continues to climb.  So get a tune for Christmas!

For Sale $$$:  Highly coveted black Shoodaben Engineering decal (my bike is black) ;D

F



Good, now we are back on topic. C:)
 
Well, I finally got another chance to ride today, I actually got an afternoon off and the temp was about 60.  This flash has smoothed everything out from top to bottom.  Smooth on and off throttle, smooth in and out of turns, the engine braking negates the brakes when riding at a sane speeds.  And yes, it's FAST!!! 
And...I got my decal on!  My life is complete. :)
 

Chubbs

Tricycle
I'm jealous.  Had my ECU flashed last month and can't take her for a ride.  Temps in the teens and a foot of snow here in Michigan.
 

ZXtasy

Member
Member
Sux worse to be you then than me....my condolences. 40 and sunny here today but I took my 1250 Bandit for a shakedown cruise rather than feel how splediferous and dramstically better the C-14 is with the MR flash. Hope that makes it easier for you....


THINK SUMMER
 

gpd323

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
When I went to look at the Z900RS I finally got a chance to ride the new MR flash. Its spot on, does everything I want. Its perfectly suited to my riding style.
 

bigk64

Ride to eat, eat to ride
Member
Chubbs said:
I'm jealous.  Had my ECU flashed last month and can't take her for a ride.  Temps in the teens and a foot of snow here in Michigan.

+1
 

connie_rider

Member
Member
Kevin, while your being jealous, I'll mention; "Jorge" was there with us, it was in the 80's, and the weather was beautiful.  >:D
{PS: Don't hate me. Hate Jorge!}  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top