• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Short "around the block" ride

runnerb0y

It's short notice but I'll throw it out there.  I'm planning on jumping on the Connie either this Friday (June 26th) and doing my 'round the block ride.  Here's a link to the google map --> https://goo.gl/maps/bBFPZgbcTeYMf7XC6

I'm reasonably flexible on the route and the stops if someone wants to join in on the fun.  I'll probably pack any food I need, but I could be convinced to get a quick bite of takeout if someone has the desire.  It's a 400 mile day (planned, but not set in stone), with generous amounts of curves, views, and precious little traffic.  I'll spring for the coffee and pastry if someone is willing to meet at Ground Espresso Bar & Cafe in Hood River for the start of the day.

Here's the gist of the route:
Start in Hood River, Oregon
I84 East to Mosier
Hwy 30, through The Dalles
Hwy 197 South to Tygh Valley - Stop at general store; they have non-ethanol
Work my way through Maupin, Shaniko, Antelope, Fossil, Condon and out to Heppner
Work my way back to Condon - Stop for gas; they have non-ethanol (that is about 190 miles from last fill-up in Tygh Valley)
Work back through Fossil, Antelope, Willowdale, Maupin, The Dalles and back to Hood River

Maybe I'll see you.  If not, I'm sorry you missed out on a great ride!

Glad you posted up - nice route.  Thought briefly about trying to meet up in Fossil, but
I wouldn't have been able to ride for that many miles with you.  My local forecast
(I'm in West Richland, WA; good to know you're close by) was for hot 101F Friday;

EDIT:
runnerb0y said:
to meet at Ground Espresso Bar & Cafe in Hood River for the start of the day.

Stopped there Tuesday for dinner, and found out Full Sail was virus closed for the week.  :(

That is a fantastic area to ride, wish I could have joined you.  I especially enjoy that Shaniko-Antelope-Fossil-Spray-Kimberly section of road.  I was in your region from June 18-23, riding around the Camp Sherman area.  This was on trails with my smaller bike (CB500X), not the Connie.  Hope you had a great ride!

Red Fox said:
Glad you posted up - nice route.  Thought briefly about trying to meet up in Fossil, but
I wouldn't have been able to ride for that many miles with you.  My local forecast
(I'm in West Richland, WA; good to know you're close by) was for hot 101F Friday;

EDIT:
runnerb0y said:
to meet at Ground Espresso Bar & Cafe in Hood River for the start of the day.

Stopped there Tuesday for dinner, and found out Full Sail was virus closed for the week.  :(

It was a great ride.  As suspected, almost nonexistent traffic.  It was HOT.  my thermometer read 104 at Clarno.  The boat launch there was packed like sardines, there were trucks with boat trailers for 1/4 mile on both sides of the road in both directions.

A few times a year, I enjoy riding out to Walla Walla, the next time I head that direction, I'll throw you an invite.

BiggusDekkus said:
That is a fantastic area to ride, wish I could have joined you.  I especially enjoy that Shaniko-Antelope-Fossil-Spray-Kimberly section of road.  I was in your region from June 18-23, riding around the Camp Sherman area.  This was on trails with my smaller bike (CB500X), not the Connie.  Hope you had a great ride!
Next time you're coming to the area, reach out and hopefully our schedules will sync up.  Would be fun to ride with other COGgers.