• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Short Fuse Death Valley Ride - Sat. Mar. 4th (and possibly Sun. Mar 5th)

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
A "short fuse" ride is a term I got from Craig, the new SCAD.  I thought it was a great term for a short notice ride.

It's gonna be a high of 70 in Pahrump, which means 80 in DV.

Rusty and company are coming up for a DV ride from SoCal, riding up through Shoshone on the 4th, staying somewhere (Pahrump/Beatty/Vegas) and going back on the 5th.

The tentative plan is this:

Meet in Shoshone at the Chevron station (General Store), Saturday Mar. 4th.

Kickstands up at 10:30.

- Shoshone into Death Valley towards Ashford Mill ruin
- Badwater
- Furnace Creek
- Beatty, for (late) lunch at KC's Outpost:  https://www.facebook.com/KCs-OUTPOST-118554398164507/
- Vegas people can head down US-95 home if they wish.  Tired SoCal people that may be staying in Pahrump can break off and head down NV-127 off of US-95.
- Pahrumpians and/or those wanting a longer ride can go back down to Furnace Creek
- Dante's View (beautiful view of Death Valley!)
- Pahrump

Map below starts in Shoshone and ends in Pahrump:

https://goo.gl/maps/cb8PzK8jnJP2

Link to event on the calendar:

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetailPublic2.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=241881

Well Brian....You know we are interested.....since we are planning on coming! I will send a note to Mark to place it on the Calendar. If anyone in SoCal wants to come send me a PM and we will work it out! Should be a fun trip!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Tentative plan is now in original post, based on Rusty's comments!

This is now officially happening.  Better calendar this one up, Old Man!

:motonoises:

Old Man on a Connie said:
It's on there  :great: I'll update the meet up info now. :beerchug:

Original post updated to link to the calendar entry...

Jeez, I went to sign up and already someone else was on the list.  And from the Northwest area, no less!  If we're attracting people from other areas, I better be on my best behavior.
;D

CaffeineMan said:
Old Man on a Connie said:
It's on there  :great: I'll update the meet up info now. :beerchug:

Original post updated to link to the calendar entry...

Jeez, I went to sign up and already someone else was on the list.  And from the Northwest area, no less!  If we're attracting people from other areas, I better be on my best behavior.
;D
Chucks a good dude in a loose mood and a brother from another mother. I owe him a lot. Ya'll take care of him now like I know you will  :great: :beerchug:

CaffeineMan said:
Gonna make this one Old Man?
Still on the rack undergoing the dreaded valve adjust. Going to do all fluids and filters. Slow and steady wins the race.

Any of you out of towners decided where you're staying yet?  Beatty?  Vegas?  Pahrump?

:great:

I'm opening my home for anyone needing a room overnight in Pahrump. We've got two bedrooms and two couches for any "frugal" COGers. I don't have any covered parking for the bikes, but I do have plenty of room to park them.
Reply via this post or on the day of the ride if anyone is interested.

Bob Young
COG #5753
Pahrump,Nv.

Red Eagle said:

I'm opening my home for anyone needing a room overnight in Pahrump. We've got two bedrooms and two couches for any "frugal" COGers. I don't have any covered parking for the bikes, but I do have plenty of room to park them.
Reply via this post or on the day of the ride if anyone is interested.

Bob Young
COG #5753
Pahrump,Nv.

Thank you Bob, That is very nice of you.Have not decided where to stay yet.Been thinking the Nugget or Holiday Inn Express in Pahrump. The Nugget only has Smoking rooms left.( Do not want them)...so it may be the Holiday Inn Express. Right now we are holding off and your offer is certainly possible. We will let you know. There is right now 3 of us coming though we may have 4 or more!

Thank you again!

Russ

:motonoises:    :motonoises:  :great:

Hope you all have an amazing ride tomorrow in what looks to be awesome weather. Death Valley and surrounding parts are such a unique and interesting ride.

It must be even better to share with a bunch of fellow riding enthusiasts. Wish I could get down there in time.

Jealous!

Well, alas, we didn't meet up with Rusty.  However, Bob, Rick, and I (and J) rode to Beatty and back, through the park.  We didn't hit up Dante's View.  My friend Jeff joined us from Shoshone to Beatty, then headed back to Vegas on US-95.

I heard Rusty and company were distracted by  :singing: in Furnace Creek.  :rotflmao:

But I heard they also hit up Dante's View, so it sounds like they got a good ride in.

Yup, enjoyed the ride. Rode some new roads, had lunch with good folks, afternoon wind be damned!

Hooking up with the SoCal folks would have been nice, but it sounds as though they had their own good time. Ride safe on the return trip; come see us again.

Bob Young
COG #5753

Yep, we all got at least 240 miles towards the SWCOG mileage challenge.  :beerchug:

But alas, almost no flowers yet.  :eek:

Peak blooming is Mid-Feb to Mid-April.  Unfortunately, the types of wind we just had (and will have today) can prevent blooming.  We will see.

Great weekend in Death Valley National Park!! Could not meet up with Brian, Bob and the rest of the group. Our Southern California group had a fun time! though th flowers were not plentiful we saw some great sights! Our group include, Chuck, Jack, Attila, Dave, Bob any myself! Guess we may need to come up gain in about a month!

Attachments

• 20170304_145242_resized.jpg
    20170304_145242_resized.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 20170304_121404_001_resized.jpg
    20170304_121404_001_resized.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20170304_145239_resized.jpg
    20170304_145239_resized.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20170304_145949_resized.jpg
    20170304_145949_resized.jpg