• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Short ride to Independence Rock

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
Still recovering from covid, but felt strong enough to get out for a short ride. The jet stream has been kind this week by keeping the cold air pushed up to the north. Temps have been above freezing during the day, so I got the C14 out for a quick ride.

My goal was to stop at Independence Rock.

IMG_20211203_152216222_HDR.jpg

Independence Rock was a stopping point for travelers on the Oregon Trail. It is covered with graffiti chiseled into the rock by settlers who made it this far. There is a trail you can hike that goes all around it, and if you have the energy, you can climb the rock and discover more graffiti up on top. The Oregon Trail itself is still visible today as the wagon ruts carved deep into the prairie.

IMG_20211203_152559947_HDR.jpg

The Rock is located along the 220 west of Casper and is a popular rest stop.

IMG_20211203_152820231_HDR.jpg

Some of the settlers are buried here as the route was long and perilous. Mormons had it the worst as they walked and pushed hand carts. If you didn't hit the Oregon trail before spring, you didn't complete the journey.

IMG_20211203_152941396_HDR.jpg

The greenest thing on the prairie right now.

Feeling tired, I headed home to get more rest. A good short ride that lifted my spirits. If passing thru Casper, WY, look me up and I'll take you out there or stop by the Museums we have that really highlight the Oregon Trail.

Another turn out stop to look at part of Alcova Lake. Again, along the 220.

IMG_20211203_155304766.jpg

Keep the rubber side down!

Yes thanks for sharing.
I’ve never been in that quadrant of the country.
My wife and I are planning a month long trip to the area next summer.
I wanna see Wyoming, Montana et al at least once before I’m too old to ride

Yes Harry
So Glad your recovering!
Nice picture of Alcova Lake, that under on our XC route north out of Whiskey Peak back in the day flying Hang Gliders with Kevin Khristoferson!
I bet your Concours felt good under you.
Happy Holidays my friend.
Nick
2014 C-14

Last edited:
Very uplifting Harry! The eye candy is appreciated! The reminder that life wasn't always as easy as we've got it these days was good to hear. I'm always thankful to be alive in an era when I have the availability and capability to ride a machine that is so absolutely exciting.

Get well soon amigo! AB

Glad to hear you are feeling better Harry tho I admit did not realize you came down with covid.
I rode with the group on the COG Oregon Trail ride hosted by Keith Collins a number of years ago (2002?) Riding loops in WY on paved roads with historic locations just off the road and several locations still clearly showing wagon wheel ruts in sandstone.
Oh, and Keith back in the day (80's I think) worked for the BLM to document the trail.