• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shout out to all the Houston area COG riders:

texas.devops

After doing a quick search of the members database I was happily surprised to see that we have a whole lotta folks in the Houston area (within 1 hr or so in any direction). So I'd like to see who is up for having a Saturday Fun-Run around here. I don't normally get a chance to do super long trips, but day trips I can get away with and squeeze into my week without major issues.

Not sure what the protocol is for self-organizing, other than reaching out directly to each of the folks who live within riding distance of me. From Louise and El Paso in the SSW, to College Station in the NNW and Livingston in the NNE then up N to Waverly and down S to Richwood and Iowa Colony, we cover a pretty wide range.

Everyone has probably found at least a small handful of nice routes for enjoyment, so I'd like to know what the interest level is in sharing those cool curves and corners.

I'm maybe starting too large by asking the whole group of Houstonian Metronians, but I thought I'd throw it out to see who is up for figuring it out as we go. :^ ) AB

Sorry but I work on Saturday. Let me know about a Sunday trip.

You bet. Happy to have your input. Ideas for a meeting place and route?

Right now Sundays are a bit tight for me time-wise because daughter has HYS (Houston Youth Symphony) practice in the middle of Sunday afternoons until summer vacation starts (in another 6-8 weeks when it's hotter than hades around here).

So if we can make a sunrise start this is something that will be workable for me too.

Thx! AB

Last edited:
There are several good roads in NW Harris County. The Infamous FM149 and then there is the 1178 heading to Chappell Hill...it passes by the Washington on the Brazos state Park which is always a good resting spot. I would also suggest heading to East Texas - Nacogdoches and surrounding area for multiple backroads and lots of eating places for a prolonged day trip. Just keep me up to date on any scheduled rides.

There are several good roads in NW Harris County. The Infamous FM149 and then there is the 1178 heading to Chappell Hill...it passes by the Washington on the Brazos state Park which is always a good resting spot. I would also suggest heading to East Texas - Nacogdoches and surrounding area for multiple backroads and lots of eating places for a prolonged day trip. Just keep me up to date on any scheduled rides.

Roger that, 149 is a nice ride. Don't believe I've been to Chappell Hill yet, but will for sure add it to the bucket list. If you're willing, let's pick a day/time to rally and run Nacogdoches - you lead? I'm guessing there'll be a few folks who can carve out some time to meet up for a run. Let's put it on the calendar before it gets too hot? Leave early, and back before rush hour?

Had a very nice little cruise with Ted this afternoon! Thank you Ted for the very fun run. I totally agree, the MRP is a must.

My (new to me) BlackWidow arrived just as I was pulling in from my daughter's outing this evening, so I installed it and have to say it put an even bigger smile on my face. Without the baffle in it the bike howls. I took it to get gassed up after our quick trip and it made me feel like a teenager for a while. I'm going to ride with it wide open like this for a few days to see how bad it is, and likely drop the sound dampener in just so I don't worsen my already bad tinnitus / hearing loss.
001 - OEM Exhaust and Black Widow.jpeg002 - Black Widow Installed.jpeg

Thanks to @maverick9611 (Mike Buxton) for sharing his extra gear with me at a very fair price!

I enjoyed the ride too.

I agree! get the header. After all, it's only money.

How did the sound of the Black Widow compare with the sound of mine? {2x Area P's}
Adding the baffles will be quieter, but will cost you HP. Already dyno proven.

Ride safe, Ted

Roger that, 149 is a nice ride. Don't believe I've been to Chappell Hill yet, but will for sure add it to the bucket list. If you're willing, let's pick a day/time to rally and run Nacogdoches - you lead? I'm guessing there'll be a few folks who can carve out some time to meet up for a run. Let's put it on the calendar before it gets too hot? Leave early, and back before rush hour?

Had a very nice little cruise with Ted this afternoon! Thank you Ted for the very fun run. I totally agree, the MRP is a must.

My (new to me) BlackWidow arrived just as I was pulling in from my daughter's outing this evening, so I installed it and have to say it put an even bigger smile on my face. Without the baffle in it the bike howls. I took it to get gassed up after our quick trip and it made me feel like a teenager for a while. I'm going to ride with it wide open like this for a few days to see how bad it is, and likely drop the sound dampener in just so I don't worsen my already bad tinnitus / hearing loss.
View attachment 29198View attachment 29199

Thanks to @maverick9611 (Mike Buxton) for sharing his extra gear with me at a very fair price!
My off- schedule off Sunday thru Tuesday. I work a mid shift so would be available for breakfast meetup prior to work. Im gonna be on vacation this coming week. Plan on doing some fishing but might be up for an impromptu ride. Stay safe

I enjoyed the ride too.

I agree! get the header. After all, it's only money.

How did the sound of the Black Widow compare with the sound of mine? {2x Area P's}
Adding the baffles will be quieter, but will cost you HP. Already dyno proven.

Ride safe, Ted

Based on a couple different quick trips since install last evening (one around Smithers Lake this afternoon) I believe the open pipe of the BW is a few decibels louder than your setup Ted. Of course I didn't crack your throttle open and run your red rocket up to 140mph either... not saying that I did or didn't do that with my black mamba on a couple of those longer stretches back there today. LOL

I absolutely felt the machine breath better, shift better, launch better in 1st from a full stop, etc. But the downside is the entire subdivision knows I'm coming. One of my neighbors is with our State Patrol in the Rosenberg troop, and he told me this afternoon that he heard me coming about a half mile before he saw me. Yikes. This big ole beefy motor sounds amazing when she's allowed to bark, but it's on the unsociable side I think.

After last night's run down 59 to 36 without the baffle, I installed the baffle before making a quick errand this morning while it was still cool outside and not so windy. With the baffle I could really tell the difference. The restriction is real! I still got most of the burbling sound off throttle, but it didn't pull nearly as hard or as smoothly as it does without the plug in the throat. Wish there was a halfway point.

The ECU flash has now become a must-have goal for me I feel. With or without it, I can somehow sense a speeding ticket in my future. LOL

SE Texans, we have an issue. I can see that north of San Antonio heading toward Austin and then points west there's a slew of routes on Butler (via Rever), but nothing in the Houston area or even around DFW? Huh.

I know we may not have huge elevation changes until we get over toward hill country, but certainly there's some opportunity to help contribute stretches of tarmac that put a smile on our faces. For example, I like FM1791 for easy riding on cool mornings as a Butler G3.

Once I figure out how to get these stretches added to the map I'll pass it along so everyone can start including their hidden gems. We can share our quick routes or long jaunts and make Houston area riding a whole lot more fun for day-trips and quick therapy between the big COG events.

Here are a couple quick views from what I see looking at the Butler maps on Rever. We COULD be looking a whole lot better with a few contributions on the local level. So if you've got something to share...?

Thoughts? AB

Attachments

• Austin Area - Somebody's Local Day Trip 01.png
    Austin Area - Somebody's Local Day Trip 01.png
    388.9 KB · Views: 163
  • SE Texas Butler Maps 01.png
    SE Texas Butler Maps 01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 150
I recently saw and posted a site that shows roads all over the world.
It was Twisites.com or something...?? {Duhh}
Need to find it again.
It also allows you to add roads....

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Jim S. found a way to modify the baffles so that they work reasonably well, and don't consume so much torque. May be the answer to your loud issue...

Wondering if this is going to work. I'm pasting the link provided by Rever using their Blog It! feature. GPX files don't attach here for a quick fun run in SW Houston this coming Saturday morning.

Weather permitting we'll be kickstand-up at 10:00am from Buc-ee's on Crabb River Rd (eg. south of 59 on Grand Pkwy/99) at Sandsbury Blvd. We'll end at The Jay Cafe on the south side of Needville along 36.

1622049777391.png

<iframe src="https://a.rever.co/embed/rides/2354481" width="1600" height="1200"></iframe>

Last edited:
Here is another proposed fun run, right around the 2 hour mark (not including round trip from home to start and finish to home).

Pretty nice roads, with a few spots to lean a bit extra to wear down the chicken strips and a couple stretches to stretch out Connie's legs.

I'm adding dates in Rever to create the GPX files simply because it's a required field. Should be available to download. Still figuring out how to get this to everyone without making a mass e-mail. I've left my Rever routes public (Tex Devops).

<iframe src="https://a.rever.co/embed/rides/2355715" width="700" height="700"></iframe>

We've been needing a chance to do a ride. This is a good chance.
Hats off to texas.devops for putting it together.
Saluuuuuuttteee!

I'm planning to be there. {but I am watching the weather}
ie; Unfortunately, the weather guessers are predicting 60% rain on Saturday.

Ride safe, Ted

After doing a quick search of the members database I was happily surprised to see that we have a whole lotta folks in the Houston area (within 1 hr or so in any direction). So I'd like to see who is up for having a Saturday Fun-Run around here. I don't normally get a chance to do super long trips, but day trips I can get away with and squeeze into my week without major issues.

Not sure what the protocol is for self-organizing, other than reaching out directly to each of the folks who live within riding distance of me. From Louise and El Paso in the SSW, to College Station in the NNW and Livingston in the NNE then up N to Waverly and down S to Richwood and Iowa Colony, we cover a pretty wide range.

Everyone has probably found at least a small handful of nice routes for enjoyment, so I'd like to know what the interest level is in sharing those cool curves and corners.

I'm maybe starting too large by asking the whole group of Houstonian Metronians, but I thought I'd throw it out to see who is up for figuring it out as we go. :^ ) AB
I just heard about this from a friend that was on the distribution list...I live in Houston and would like to be included on these rides. I don't think I can make this one as I will be picking up my brand new 2021 Connie (!!) But please put me on the list for future day rides. Thanks!

I just heard about this from a friend that was on the distribution list...I live in Houston and would like to be included on these rides. I don't think I can make this one as I will be picking up my brand new 2021 Connie (!!) But please put me on the list for future day rides. Thanks!

Howdy Matt, congrats on your new steed! I can attest to the fact that there's something special about a shiny new one. I haven't dug too deep into mine, but I have added the rider comfort accoutrements for rideability and safety (ECU flash to minimize the whiplash, BlackWidow slip-on so other drivers can hear me, QuadLock wireless charger and shock absorber for iPhone, throttle lock, wind screen augmenter, etc etc).

Will add you to the spreadsheet and the e-mail chain for sure. What part of town is your castle? I've sorta broken our Houstonian members into a few segments so it's easier to figure out what a fairly central location is for rally points when we're planning fun runs.

Happy to have another willing and enthusiastic COGger to hook-up and ride with! Treat your new honey with care for those first thousand miles or so, and plan early for your first oil & fluid change. We can do it without having to pay the dealership $450 (before tax) for the first service. Just buy 5 quarts of your favorite oil and a filter. I actually got my filters from the dealership ($13/ea) but plan to get a reusable at some point. You only need about 5oz of the final drive lube, which is fine even though you'll buy the smallest size bottle of the 80/90 and it'll last you the life of the bike.

Also as an FYI, ask the dealership to loosen your oil filter for you the first time. It comes from the factory with Gorilla Glue on it or something insanely tight. They had to have used an airgun to install it because there was no way to remove it without an airgun. You'll find there's very little wiggle room to work on the machine unless you remove all the body panels and hoist the bike to get directly under it.

So much to explore with the '21. So little time. :^ )

Catch up with you soon! AB

Last edited:
Never missing an opportunity to stick my big nose in others affairs, but also reassuring you that I'll not be attending this event/ride (and there was much rejoicing šŸ„³šŸ‘), I've converted the routes from ReveŠÆ to Garmin Basecamp, Google Earth, and Google Maps. Mostly I was doing this just as an exercise to learn more about ReveŠÆ and how to use it with Basecamp and Google, so fear not, I will not be messing with your future rides. (or at least you won't know about it if I do)

Of course any mistakes, wrong turns, U turns, dirt roads, gravel roads, rutted track mud lanes, glitches, inaccuracies, etc...are totally Ted's fault. šŸ‘ :p

https://goo.gl/maps/6nKBgu3P4rxwYqQWA Sw Houston Fun Run Google maps link

https://goo.gl/maps/LjhRjWQSJLdPaTMW9 Quick Fun Run Google Maps Link

Google Drive link to 6 files

Howdy Matt, congrats on your new steed! I can attest to the fact that there's something special about a shiny new one. I haven't dug too deep into mine, but I have added the rider comfort accoutrements for rideability and safety (ECU flash to minimize the whiplash, BlackWidow slip-on so other drivers can hear me, QuadLock wireless charger and shock absorber for iPhone, throttle lock, wind screen augmenter, etc etc).

Will add you to the spreadsheet and the e-mail chain for sure. What part of town is your castle? I've sorta broken our Houstonian members into a few segments so it's easier to figure out what a fairly central location is for rally points when we're planning fun runs.

Happy to have another willing and enthusiastic COGger to hook-up and ride with! Treat your new honey with care for those first thousand miles or so, and plan early for your first oil & fluid change. We can do it without having to pay the dealership $450 (before tax) for the first service. Just buy 5 quarts of your favorite oil and a filter. I actually got my filters from the dealership ($13/ea) but plan to get a reusable at some point. You only need about 5oz of the final drive lube, which is fine even though you'll buy the smallest size bottle of the 80/90 and it'll last you the life of the bike.

Also as an FYI, ask the dealership to loosen your oil filter for you the first time. It comes from the factory with Gorilla Glue on it or something insanely tight. They had to have used an airgun to install it because there was no way to remove it without an airgun. You'll find there's very little wiggle room to work on the machine unless you remove all the body panels and hoist the bike to get directly under it.

So much to explore with the '21. So little time. :^ )

Catch up with you soon! AB
Thank you! Lots of good info there. I'm also down for wrenching sessions, I'm not exactly new to Connie's (I've had an '06 going on 10 years now) but I am definitely new to the C14. Been eyeballing them for years and the time is finally right. I can just see the two of them standing proudly in the garage LOL! I'll be look at Flash and other goodies in short order but want to get some miles on her first.

Will changing the oil myself affect the warranty?

I'm in Lakewood Forest on the North side, just west of 249 and south of 99. Not to far from Ted.

I'll be seeing y'all soon.

Thank you! Lots of good info there. I'm also down for wrenching sessions, I'm not exactly new to Connie's (I've had an '06 going on 10 years now) but I am definitely new to the C14. Been eyeballing them for years and the time is finally right. I can just see the two of them standing proudly in the garage LOL! I'll be look at Flash and other goodies in short order but want to get some miles on her first.

Will changing the oil myself affect the warranty?

I'm in Lakewood Forest on the North side, just west of 249 and south of 99. Not to far from Ted.

I'll be seeing y'all soon.

Lakewood Forest, very nice. Noted.

As for the warranty question, I asked exactly the same thing when I got mine multiple times. What the dealer stated was that self-maintenance won't affect the warranty at all, in fact they actually plan for that reality. Also asked the same question again when I was contemplating the ECU flash. Again the dealer said as long as Iā€™m not messing with something that breaks the bike (like adjusting the valves incorrectly) thereā€™s no warranty risk.

Iā€™m interested to hear your thoughts about the saddle, especially if you have a passenger.

Lakewood Forest, very nice. Noted.

As for the warranty question, I asked exactly the same thing when I got mine multiple times. What the dealer stated was that self-maintenance won't affect the warranty at all, in fact they actually plan for that reality. Also asked the same question again when I was contemplating the ECU flash. Again the dealer said as long as Iā€™m not messing with something that breaks the bike (like adjusting the valves incorrectly) thereā€™s no warranty risk.

Iā€™m interested to hear your thoughts about the saddle, especially if you have a passenger.
I'm curious about the saddle too. My '06 came with a Corbin...I think Gunslinger?...that had lost all semblance of cushion, or did over the years I've had it. As in a 200 mile ride was unpleasant. Just replaced it with another Corbin, huge difference. If the new saddle isn't up to snuff I will have to address that quickly, my passenger is already pissed off that I'm trading in the Ultra Classic on the new Connie. She loves that Harley

I'm curious about the saddle too. My '06 came with a Corbin...I think Gunslinger?...that had lost all semblance of cushion, or did over the years I've had it. As in a 200 mile ride was unpleasant. Just replaced it with another Corbin, huge difference. If the new saddle isn't up to snuff I will have to address that quickly, my passenger is already pissed off that I'm trading in the Ultra Classic on the new Connie. She loves that Harley

I'm betting that the change from numbing nether-region vibrations to the smoothness of the C14 will be a welcomed reprieve from previous long rides. That being said, if your ultra had that big backrest on the top case you're going to want to find something comparable soon. Oh, and getting the suspension tuned for two-up will be essential. The factory settings are okay to start, but I've found that tweaking is essential.

Here's the top case (Corbin calls it a "trunk") I want for momma (https://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kc8trnk.shtml). At $1,260 before tax and shipping it's on the eye-poppingly-pricey side of the upgrades list, but if it gets my better half out for more rides with me it'll be money well spent IMO.
1622146617981.png

Match this with a set of passenger floorboards and the pillion position will be more comfortable than the pilot's perch. (https://www.advancedsporttouring.com/product_p/c14-20.htm). At $200 they're not overly expensive but running at the edges of the bang-for-the-buck ratio range. AST is almost always at that point with all their parts. Great R&D but they turn everything into a cash cow.
1622146916722.png

I'd like to know if anyone has actually bought and installed these, and hear real-world feedback on their durability and comfort. Hate the idea that nobody else is using them and then find out the manufacturer no longer makes/services them.

It's all good. Idea is to maximize enjoyment while minimizing wasted investments in tweaks. :^ ) AB

Last edited:
Tex

If you're going to order anything from AST, email him first to make sure they are in stock and he can ship right away. If he does not answer the email then forget about it. The owner of AST, Ryan, has a pretty bad reputation and lots of guys on this Forum will not order from him. I have never had an issue as long as he confirms he has the part. I have his long distance riding pegs and they work well.

Steve

Tex

If you're going to order anything from AST, email him first to make sure they are in stock and he can ship right away. If he does not answer the email then forget about it. The owner of AST, Ryan, has a pretty bad reputation and lots of guys on this Forum will not order from him. I have never had an issue as long as he confirms he has the part. I have his long distance riding pegs and they work well.

Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve! Will keep that in mind. I've been eyeballing those road pegs too, but at that price point ($375 plus tax and shipping) they just seem to be a little further down the list until I get my saddle sorted.

With the 2" handlebar risers the position is much more upright, yet without having any lower back support I have doubts that adding the road pegs will be helpful in the short-term.

It's almost like I'm doing a partial redesign of the rider+pillion setup that requires the full kit to make work. Not much middle ground along the way. Once you go a little further past risers, like lowering footrests and adding road pegs, you're looking at a saddle change. When you do that the $'s start adding up quickly. Then add a top box ("trunk") ranging from $400 to $1,300 and suddenly we're into BMW territory on overall cost.

Speaking of which, I really like the BMW top box for it's shape and ergonomics. It's pricey like the Corbin, curiously isn't nearly as volumous as the Corbin trunk, but has the armrests and soooo much more padding + neck support for passenger.
1622153191606.png1622153327932.png

Just looking at it inspires confidence and comfort from the pillion's perspective.

That being said, our C14's are "sport tourers" which is not the same as a pure touring bike in the strict sense. I'm imagining that removing these for more sporting riding would be a bit of a chore (eg. no quick detach).

Almost feels like we're starting to lean into Goldwing territory now, which is not my intention either. I'd just like to be able to reconfigure as-needed based on the situation but not have it cost half the price of the bike itself. LOL

Holy smokes a trunk is top of my list but $1260?!! Yes the Ultra has the nice trunk, its like riding around on a couch back there.

I work in GIS and have my own license for the software, if any map assistance is needed

Ok riders, tomorrow looks to be washed out. Itā€™s ok in a way as the roads will be freshly cleaned for us if we decide that Sunday is better.

Wish we had a survey feature here on the forum for purposes of planning, but in the absence of it can I get everyone to drop a quick line if you will be open to making the quick trip starting at noon from Buc-eeā€™s?

Standing by for your inputs.

Thanks, AB

Hey yall let me know when a Sunday ride is scheduled. Saturday is out for me as I work a 12 hour shift. However; Im off Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so a weekday ride is good too. Stay safe

Kickstands-up at noon from Buc-eeā€™s tomorrow then. Still a 30-some percent chance for rain, but happy to get in a ride before we have another week of non-stop rain.

Was a really spectacular day for a ride, and a few miles were enjoyed by Ted, Pat, Steve, Matt and I as we found our stride before stopping for lunch at the Thirsty Pelican watering hole! Excellent food was had by all, and even Ted got in a few smiles with his miles today! :^ )

DA605CF2-B353-4C3C-B1FE-91F4DE382C10.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! That was a great ride and a good opportunity to get to know my new mistress better šŸ˜ I have to say her behavior was flawless...did everything I asked without complaint or any surprises. It was a great time and I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Oh and in case you missed it elsewhere šŸ˜‰

Attachments

• 20210531_082026.jpg
    20210531_082026.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210531_082148.jpg
    20210531_082148.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 133
NOTEs;
1) In the first picture, I "WAS" smiling.
2) Matt, I think he just named yer new bike. "Black Betty" da "Mistress"
3) We need to do it again.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Was a really spectacular day for a ride, and a few miles were enjoyed by Ted, Pat, Steve, Matt and I as we found our stride before stopping for lunch at the Thirsty Pelican watering hole! Excellent food was had by all, and even Ted got in a few smiles with his miles today! :^ )

View attachment 29404
So ya started your COG journey by meeting & riding with Ted. Just let me say that things will get better! :ROFLMAO:

I trailered for a few years but I'm over it now. Now I put it IN the van and it stays clean and full till I get to the twisties. My Dr. said cutting out the 500 miles to get out of Texas would help my back be less abused. My limit for a day seems to be about 300 miles now unless I want nerve pain for days after. Compressed L5 disk rubbing on nerves. :-/

I trailered for a few years but I'm over it now. Now I put it IN the van and it stays clean and full till I get to the twisties. My Dr. said cutting out the 500 miles to get out of Texas would help my back be less abused. My limit for a day seems to be about 300 miles now unless I want nerve pain for days after. Compressed L5 disk rubbing on nerves. :-/

Yikes, that is absolutely not fun. Bulging discs are the bane of moto riders as much as 200# bambies jumping across the road you're driving on at the exact moment you're passing by. Anyone with back injuries will agree that no matter how much there is to gain from some excitement, the day(s)/week(s) of punishment afterward are on an inverted diminishing scale as we get older.