• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sidecar Racing

Gypsy JR

I see the US Sidecar Racing Association is pretty active. Who would do that if you had the chance? Who would want to be the monkey?

I was reading the rules, and they are pretty interesting. No more than 1,000 cc for 4 strokes. 2 strokes I think are limited to 750cc. It has to have the engine in a position "normal" for a motorcycle. They have fairly concise center of gravity/mass rules for that. BMWs and MotoGuzzis are judged slightly differently, but the end result is the same.

The frames are almost all custom made, and I haven't found anything prohibiting front center hub steering.

They move along pretty quickly, and since the engines have to be homologous to production engines, superchargers are prohibited (modern H2s don't have enough on the street to qualify). However turbo chargers are allowed, with restrictions, if I read it write. Direct injection is also permitted.

I think a ZX14R engine or something like it would do a good job, and be reliable as heck.

zx14 yes, but it's over the limit, right?  have to go ninja 1000 and have Chuck do a turbo job?  :)

I'd love to put leathers on and try it some time.  my poor old back wouldn't take much of it, but it'd be fun to try.  :great:

Sport Rider said:
zx14 yes, but it's over the limit, right?  have to go ninja 1000 and have Chuck do a turbo job?  :)

I'd love to put leathers on and try it some time.  my poor old back wouldn't take much of it, but it'd be fun to try.  :great:

Right you are! I posted about the 1,000cc 4-stroke limit and then suggested a 1,400cc engine.  :-[

A ZX10R engine then. In many ways a more potent engine than the ZX14R engine.

Gypsy JR said:
Sport Rider said:

Right you are! I posted about the 1,000cc 4-stroke limit and then suggested a 1,400cc engine.  :-[

I'm in.  you drive and I'll be the monkey!  :))

Sport Rider said:
Gypsy JR said:
Sport Rider said:

I'm in.  you drive and I'll be the monkey!  :))

I was thinking more of being the statistician/water boy/chief gofer and let the younger folks do the driving.

How much do you weigh? The monkey has to be pretty small, really.

Gypsy JR said:
I was thinking more of being the statistician/water boy/chief gofer and let the younger folks do the driving.

How much do you weigh? The monkey has to be pretty small, really.

Um.....I'm out!  ::)  :(

I'm too overweight for either position.  but more balast on the sidecar is better, right?  :D

This is how I got started in motorcycle racing. A few years back (1968) I was the Monkey on a Motocross sidecar in Holland while going to High School. First race I fell off twice :??: . It was total fun until I separated a shoulder and my parents found out I wasn't just a spectator. :mad:

They raced along with the WERRA program back in the 70's & early 80's.
They always seem to be a bit off center. But OK after the racing was done.
All in all good bunch?

I think the monkey has to be certifiably insane, frankly. I'm thinking about what it would take to build a legal one, that can pass F1 inspection. Have to race in the kiddy group first few times until they give you a license.

I'm thinking I could actually drive one of these hacks, if only I could remember the corners. Which I can't. Wonder if they'd let me have a cheat sheet?