• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sierra Opener

santacruzrider

I'm pining for some Sierra scenery and have been contemplating a High Sierra four-pass ride as soon as they get the roads open.

Anyone interested in joining. I'm thinking about setting a base in Angel Camp area Friday and Saturday nights with Saturday loop on 88 past Topaz Lake to 108 and Kirkwood (maybe a quick side trip to Tahoe) and Sunday loop up Hwy 4, then down past Mono Lake and 120 through Tioga and home.

Open to reversing any loops (or changing combinations) if others have a better formula. Even open to making Sunday a bigger day and a Sunday stay in Angels Camp or setting the entire basecamp or one night in the Eastern Sierra if that works better for others.

Thinking about doing this as soon as the roads open. Currently no projected time, so quite possible it will be in June. Doesn't need to happen first weekend roads are open, but maybe a week or so after as planning allows.

Any takers?

I am in!! Love those passes!! Let's get a good turn out for this if we can!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :beerchug:

Date is TBD. Those passed are NOT open and there is currently no projection on when they will be.

A guess from some past years when there was this much snow is sometime in June, but we'll have to wait to see.

I used to live in Reno and rode those passes regularly.  Once Ebbetts (CA-4) didn’t open until July!

Any new thoughts about a ride through the passes! I for one am ready! Have a couple of others that may join me especially if it's in September....Let's do it!!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :beerchug:

I've got an open window the weekend of Sept. 21-22, but I think some of you SoCal folks (and beyond) are headed to Devil's Cut.

How about first weekend in October?    :motonoises:

Hi Dan! First weekend in October is good for me! Yes I will be going to the Devil's Cut! That is a lot of fun...hope you can make it! Riding the passes is so much fun ! I am looking forward to it and I think I can get at least a couple of others to play too!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Knock it down Dan for the folks that may be not be able to make it for the Devils cut. The Mo' the Betta'.

Here's what I'm thinking:  (post modified from original to avoid confusion -- the plan IS coming together)

Friday, Oct. 4: Those who want an early start to the weekend meet at motel (TBD) on west side of Sierra, likely in the Jamestown. So.Cal contingent and others encouraged to meet for lunch in Oakhurst, then ride north on 41, then 49 through Mariposa and Coulterville --  the "Mini-Dragon."

Saturday morning, Oct. 5: Early start with counter-clockwise loop through 120 Yosemite (photo ops at Yosemite Valley entrance, drink stop in Tuolumne Meadows) ride over Tioga Pass (9,943 feet) to Eastern Side of the Sierra -  and then return on Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass (9,624 feet). Back to Jamestown for dinner/drinks.

Sunday, Oct. 6: Counter-clockwise loop up Hwy 88 over Carson Pass ( 8,573 feet) to lunch stop in Markleeville. Group will likely split here, with us Central Cal and Sac folks needing to get to work Monday taking Hwy 4 through Ebbetts Pass (8,736 feet) toward home. The SoCal folks have option of that route or turning southeast over Monitor pass to 395. Sounds like Russ and company may go that route, but toss in a Sunday night stay in the Bridgeport area -- so there may be an option for more cruising for those staying longer.

Thoughts?

I like it buddy. Wish I could play. This would be epic. You get ahold of Keith for this? He may be able to get it on the calendar. Nice adventure! Awesome ride! :great: :beerchug:

Sounds good to me Dan! I would probably come up Friday with a friend or friend(s)! Those days look great!  Would likely like to stay on the 395 side on Sunday and head home Monday. Sonora or Bridgeport area are fine with me with probably a preference for Bridgeport...so it might be possible to head home Sunday. But that's just me and maybe most riders are coming from the Central to North area. I like the shirt a lot and would be interested! Come on OMC you can make it!  :)  ;)

Enough time has passed that now this is the Sierra Closer.  ;D

I'm thinking about this.  First question is:  Is Yosemite gonna be a parade?  Maybe not that time of year.

Here's our ride Old Man:

- Friday:  US95->NV266(Lida/Dyer)->NV264->US6(Benton)->CA120(Lee Vining)->US395->CA89(Monitor Pass)->CA4(Ebbets Pass)-CA49(Jamestown) - 456 miles from Pahrump, a little more from Hendo

- Saturday:  what Dan said

- Sunday:  CA108(Sonora Pass)->US395(Lee Vining)->CA120(Benton)->back the way we came

You done these roads yet?  I have when I lived in Reno.  They must be ridden if you haven't.  ;D

Coupla times  :) Looks like a blast. Need to check time off and tire condition. Wanna.............

This sounds to my liking. . Maybe even coming back Monday.
If someone negotiates lodging please keep me informed.

Cali Cruiser said:
You’ll need a Doctor on site.

The Continental Doctor?

“What sort of movement am I looking at?”
“Well, if you’re looking to heal, then keep it marginal.  However if you still have... business to attend to, take two of these beforehand.  Your stiches’ll tear and you’ll bleed, but you’ll have full function.  Do you need anything for the pain?”
“[Looks at his glass of Bourbon] No I’ve got that covered.”

Ride central will be at The Royal Carriage Inn on Main Street in Jamestown.

Address: 18239 Main St, Jamestown, CA 95327

I've reserved a block of rooms, all with private bathrooms and at rate of $99 plus tax per night. The rate includes free wifi, free parking, and continental breakfast for 2 per room

The rooms are a mix of "cottages" which have a queen bed and a fold out couch and upstairs "standard queen" rooms with one queen bed. The cottages represent the biggest discount, down from $130 quoted per night, and I think they have a small kitchen, in case you want to get domestic. First come first served on grabbing what you want.

To reserve a room, call  (209) 984-5271 and mention that you are with the "Concours Owners Group". Unreserved rooms will be released on Sept. 15.

This hotel was selected because it has some key elements, including:
- An onsite restaurant
- An outdoor gathering area where folks can relax and swap lies without necessarily annoying other guests
- Ample parking, including potential for a full row of Connies on the street fronting the hotel
- Proximity to restaurants/bars (4 within a block)

For anyone desiring accommodations options, National Hotel and Restaurant (~$160) and Jamestown Railtown Motel ($90) are both a couple of blocks away.

Also, if you go online and find The Royal Carriage Inn on a travel site, you may see rates as low as $89. They will show the rooms having a private bath, but the owner has told me these rate are only for rooms with shared bathrooms. Not sure what the truth is, so you take your chances but may be getting a deal going this route.

Hope this works for folks!

Attachments

• IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 135
Yes! Great job Dan!! Looking forward to the adventure! We sure have a super group of riders and people in the Southwest!

Here's how the ride schedule is shaping up:

October 4-6, 2019

Friday - a chance to meet up at ride central (The Royal Carriage Inn, Jamestown, CA), do some talking, eat some food and discuss the next days route.

Saturday - Early start to beat the crowds, heading east on Tioga 120 through the beautiful Yosemite NP with stops at Yosemite Valley overlook, Tenaya Lake and Tioga Pass Summit. Lunch in Bridgeport. Return to the west slope on Hwy 108 over super curvy Sonora Pass with more photo opps along the way. Dinner in Jamestown, followed by drinks and lies in garden at The Royal Carriage Inn.

Sunday - You Got Options
  1) East on Hwy 4 over twisty Ebbetts Pass with stops in Murphys & Lake Alpine. Lunch in Markleeville. Then...
- - - a) Return to the West via Hwy 88 over the awesome sweepers of Carson Pass to home
- - - b) Take HWY 89 over high altitude Monitor Pass to Hwy 395 and bail for home (North, East or South)
- - - c) Extend your weekend, ride some Sierra roads TBA (Tahoe, Monitor, Etc.), stay at the Best Western in Topaz Lake - home Monday AM
  2) Go home on Sunday AM (unless you have a morning sermon to preach, this shouldn't really be an option, should it?)

Don't forget to register at http://www.cog-online.org/ClubPortal/EventDetailPublic2.cfm?clubID=1328&eventID=258474

Dan I am registered and ready for this fun Meet and Greet! Not sure what I am going to do on Sunday but I will be riding!! Likely staying one more night and head home Monday! May have a few coming from SoCal but we'll see. Thank you so much with setting this up with help from Keith. Been through Jamestown but never stayed there.  Cool town as I remember. I will be making reservations in the next few days. Are we still thinking about having shirts made? Think I can give away a few gift cards to some lucky riders that come for the fun!! See you all there!!

I'm cool setting up a shirt design, but shoot me over a contact for a decent printer (if you have a good one you've used). I did a quick search and they looked pretty pricey for a short run order.

I'll need to update the graphic too to have the right dates and pass names. Could also modify it to be a bit cheaper to print.

Signed up. Hoping to leave leave from Valencia on Friday afternoon on the 5. Still have not decided my return. Anyone planning to come by this way I would appreciate company.

DGOLD said:
Signed up. Hoping to leave leave from Valencia on Friday afternoon on the 5. Still have not decided my return. Anyone planning to come by this way I would appreciate company.
Check your patch glue  :) :beerchug:

DGOLD said:
Signed up. Hoping to leave leave from Valencia on Friday afternoon on the 5. Still have not decided my return. Anyone planning to come by this way I would appreciate company.  Hi David, Good chance I will be coming up your way on Friday. Maybe a couple of other riders too. As we get closer I will send you a message. Be great to see you again!

SantaCruzRider said:
Took a crack at creating an event shirt. Black T with large image on back and COG name on front pocket area.

Just under $29 each (not cheap)    :-\

Front:  https://www.zazzle.com/z/pfbgp

Back:    https://www.zazzle.com/z/pfb1h

Thoughts?

Looks like a very nice quality shirt! Like the prints on the front and back. Be nice to get the COG emblem on the front too. Price is a bit high but I am good for one if others want to buy one. Otherwise I still have many COG shirts to wear!! Thank you for checking on it Dan! Appreciate it.

I'm betting Russ was trying to ditch you!  :D  But shoot me a PM after you book your room and Ill contact the hotel and see if they can put you in a room that adjoins Russ's so you can give him wake up calls and borrow coffee.  :great:

Registered and reservations made.  Lemme know if you wanna ride up together on Friday, Old Man.

Here's a taste of what we have planned for the weekend. This is an excerpt from the Ride Guide we'll have at the event:

SATURDAY
Mileage: 235 miles
Ride time: 5.5 hours

This ride will take us on a counter-clockwise loop down to 120, then straight through Yosemite National Park and Tuolumne Meadows.

After cresting Tioga, the highest driveable pass over the Sierra, we descend 3,140 feet down the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada to Lee Vining. Turning north on 395, we’ll stop at the Mono Lake Visitor Center, then continue north to lunch in the town of Bridgeport.

After lunch the ride gets more technical as we turn off 395 and head towards Sonora Pass on 108. The road here is narrower and paved pullouts are few. Views are amazing. Once through Sonora Pass, we will all gather up at Donnell Vista, just under 6 miles past Dardanelle Resort.

From here the road opens a bit with sweeping valleys but still lots of twists. We’ll make a stop at the alpine Pinecrest Lake campground (there is a lakeside restaurant and coffee bar). Then it’s back on the bikes and more downhill to return to Jamestown.

Here are our planned stops, some brief for a pic and and stretch, others for a snack and to allow everyone to regroup:

Olmsted Point, Tioga Road: turnout on right, 5.5 miles past Porcupine Flat Campground
Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Center: on right, 9 mi. past Olmsted
Tioga Pass: National Park exit kiosk, small parking area on right
Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Ctr: on right, 1 mile from 120/395 junction
Sportsmen’s Bar and Grill - LUNCH:  271 Main St., Bridgeport; on left past General Store
Sonora Picnic Area: parking area on right side of 108 1.5 miles past 395/108 junction.
Sonora Pass sign: small dirt turnout immediately after “Stanislaus National Forest” sign.  :great:
Donnell Vista: small gated road on right, 5.7 miles past Dardanelle Resort
Steam Donkey cafe: Pinecrest Campground, lakefront  :beerchug:
Royal Carriage Inn: clean up, dinner

That's the FIRST DAY. More to come.

On the room charges..
I just called and booked a room for me and FTB350, and they charged me $120 per night. It was for one of the cottages, since I really don’t want to share a bed with him, even though he’s really cool LOL. So was the $99 only for regular rooms with one bed, or was that supposed to be the charge no matter which room we booked?
  Either way, we’ll be there!

When you folks stop for breakfast order Keith the choriso plate. He really likes it but won't admit it.  :beerchug:

Shredder said:
On the room charges..
I just called and booked a room for me and FTB350, and they charged me $120 per night. It was for one of the cottages, since I really don’t want to share a bed with him, even though he’s really cool LOL. So was the $99 only for regular rooms with one bed, or was that supposed to be the charge no matter which room we booked?
  Either way, we’ll be there!

Hey Shredder,
Sorry about that. I just spoke with the hotel and they WILL BE getting you the $99 rate for the cottage.
Sounds like the manager may not have fully communicated our COG rates to the whole staff, but you should be good now.
I'll reconfirm again when I talk to the manager next week.

And just to restate for everyone; if you mention you're with the COG group, you should be able to book either a queen room (one bed) with private bath or a queen cottage (1 queen bed and 1 foldout couch) with private bath for $99 per night.

Looks like about half the rooms I reserved have now been taken. Once the rest are gone, the hotel may not honor the lower rate -- so book now folks if you plan to ride.

Cheers

For those riders looking to make Friday a bit more interesting: There is some nice riding on Hwy 49 north from Oakhurst to Jamestown. I'll be riding east from Santa Cruz and probably joining 49 around Mariposa, so maybe other riders will be coming north and we could meet up.

Also, for those arriving in Janestown with some time on their hands, this is one of the Top 3 towns identified by National Geo Travel for people wanting to experience Gold Country (the other two are Sonora and Columbia -- which we ride through on Sunday).

Here's some info on Jamestown:

Jamestown is a gold-era landmark with a couple of blocks of historic buildings strung along Main Street. To boot, it boasts a train attraction for fanatics, Railtown 1897 State Historic Park. The undisputed star of the park is Sierra No. 3, a circa 1891 steam locomotive that made appearances in Back to the Future Part III and High Noon.

Nearby is a historic water tower (which made a prominent appearance in television’s Petticoat Junction).
National Hotel, one of the first permanent structures in this early gold-rush town. The Main Street guest house has been in continuous operation since 1859. The hotel has a restaurant and I expect some of us will at least have a drink there -- if not more.

Also set for that weekend in Jamestown is the annual apple festival. Some of us may be be muling home some pie!

That’s great news, thanks. The manager had stepped out for something so wasn’t available for consultation. I figured they’d make it right somehow.
  I’m really looking forward to this gathering, those hills (haha, hills...) have always been on my list of future rides. Thanks for putting this together!

CaffeineMan said:
Registered and reservations made.  Lemme know if you wanna ride up together on Friday, Old Man.
Still iffy Cman. If'n I go prolly ride out on Sat and meet up, Hang out Sat night and home on Sunday. True props though to all that are playing. The SWCOG is strong thanks to you folks.  :beerchug: :great:

Sept. 15 is LAST DAY to lock in motel SPECIAL RATE. Also, shared room NOW AVAILABLE for $55 per night -- very limited offer!  Update: 9/17, room block has been released. No guarantees on getting the negotiated rate, but may still be worth asking if you give them a call. The hotel staff seems very accommodating (see what I did there), so it's worth checking if you still need to make your reservation.

Quick reminder that the special rates I locked in for The Royal Carriage Inn are good through Sunday, Sept. 15. After that I need to cancel the unreserved rooms I am holding. You can likely still make reservations after that, but the motel may go back to their  published rates (which are ~$20 per night higher).

Also, the king cottage with 3 king beds was released to another COG member -- so good for you for scoring a great deal on a crew-size "condo".

3 weeks to the ride -- so make your reservations if you haven't already!

Well Looking at maybe meeting up on Sat with you goofy riders. Maybe in Lee Vining. So who has a bed open for Sat night? NO SNUGGLING! Unless money changes hands.  :) :beerchug:

Old Man on a Connie said:
Well Looking at maybe meeting up on Sat with you goofy riders. Maybe in Lee Vining. So who has a bed open for Sat night? NO SNUGGLING! Unless money changes hands.  :) :beerchug:

Man if I’d known you were gonna dive in I would’ve gotten a cottage.

CaffeineMan said:
Old Man on a Connie said:

Man if I’d known you were gonna dive in I would’ve gotten a cottage.
Yeah, I procrastinated and now paying the price.

I’m considering riding up with Old Man on a Connie on Saturday.  Just spoke with hotel.  One 3-bed cottage available for Sat night.  Any interest from someone to split 3 ways with him and I?  Cost without COG discount quoted as $220 plus tax.  Figure $80 each maybe?

Heck yea Godzilla, do it! You and OMC do it!

You talking $220 for Saturday night only?

Two days ago I looked into upgrading my 2 nights in a 1 queen room, to a cottage - was told no cottages available covering both nights.

Just FYI for anyone interested and thinking of joining for the ride, you can get a 1 queen bed room at AAA rate for $89 at their
  RLH corp site online here

Ok, got a 3-bed cottage for Sat nite only.  Need a third to split with OMC and myself.  Any takers?  Also, did anyone else see the notice that Tioga will be closed Saturday????

Don't over-react!!! The closure on Sept. 27-28 is temporary. It might be related to my request that they set a giant slalom course and some timing gates -- but I can't confirm (or deny) that.

Beyond that, we're all set with an awesome window of clear weather and roads look good. Register, reserve a room, gas up ... and we will see you next weekend.

I shall be bringing my winter gloves and glue on foot heaters. Just in case. Hell, I rode to the bun cooler. Ain't skeert.  :) :beerchug:

Is the plan to take Wards Ferry Rd. on the way to 120?  Or is that too much of a goat trail?  Its gold on the Butler map.

We discussed it, but decided against because it would delay our entry into Yosemite and we're hoping to beat some of the usual rush.

Could be a Friday option for those of us coming in from the south or even just an out & back warm up that afternoon.

Let's see what others say.

One week to the High Sierra Sampler. Here's the ride plan for Sunday.

Kickstands up at 9 a.m., Jamestown, CA

Today we ride Highway 4 past the resort towns of Arnold and Dorrington to where the pavement narrows to a lane-sharing mountain path as it ascends Ebbetts Pass. This is rumored to be one of the most scenic routes in the country, and the hairpin turns are a bonus.

Along the way we’ll make stops at Lake Alpine and Ebbetts Pass, then slide down the eastern Sierra flank, join 89 north and stop for lunch at Wolf Creek Restaurant in Markleeville.

After lunch we’re likely to see some riders head for home. The planned route is north on 89, then left/west onto 88 and back up in to the highlands and over Carson Pass, then down past Kirkwood, and pristine Silver Lake. We’ll make one last stop at Rosebud’s Café in Jackson.

Mileage: 175 miles (to Jackson)
Ride time: 4 hours (to Jackson)

Should be a great weekend. Please register on the COG event calendar if you're planning to play and we'll see you up there.

Just booked the last Queen room and they gave me a break. They have one 3 bed room left for $200/night. They might have some cancellations but you never know. There may be some other options in Jamestown if anyone is still looking. Also, Sonora is only a few minutes away.

allpasses.jpg

Detailed info above or at
http://www.cog-online.org/ClubPortal/EventDetailPublic2.cfm?clubID=1328&eventID=258474

Saturday is Tioga and Sonora Passes
Sunday is Ebbetts and Carson Passes

It's a free meet & greet and you can still make it.

If you are coming from the south or west on Friday and have a bit of extra time you might wanna try these roads out on your way to Jamestown (as alternates to 120) 

Hwy 49: Mariposa to Coulterville : One of the best twisty roads in CA. 16 miles of bliss (run it each way as a treat), with good roads leading to and from it as a bonus.
https://goo.gl/maps/o8uCtgWTKkrHpGu47

Wards Ferry - Algerine into Jamestown - Wards Ferry this is more adventure than raceway much of it is both directions in a narrow single unstriped lane with hair pins and some rough road. (road is used by rafting transport in season, so watch) It winds it's way down the side of the canyon to the Tuolumne River and then back up the other. Algrine then takes you through remote foothill countryside of oaks and ranches.
https://goo.gl/maps/2qN9b3TK3iUX1cNFA

If coming from the north (or west) maybe try

The whole Hwy 49 of course (there can be a lot of traffic)
https://goo.gl/maps/9CnPGGEDz4mmRXxDA

Pool Station Rd (off the 49)
https://goo.gl/maps/7ZwudYZgmb9u8EG98

Sheep Ranch and Rail Flat - you like lonely rough foothill roads through oaks (caveat: I haven't rode this in years - conditions may change - no guarantees - make your own decisions)
https://goo.gl/maps/yKb9nVmtBLQx3s6i7

There are many more. The Sierras are filled with good riding.

These roads are not part of the Saturday / Sunday routes, so it's all bonus riding!
(for the most part)

Enjoy this view in real life, on Tioga Pass this Saturday morning on the Sierra Sampler ride

4_halfdome_mid_HDR4.jpg

It is one of our stops

Outstanding set of options.
I think my route Friday will be 152 from Watsonville through Los Banos, then cut up to 140 to Mariposa.

From there I can take in both of your top 2 routes, from the south -- including Hwy 49: Mariposa to Coulterville and then
Wards Ferry - Algerine into Jamestown.

Looks epic!

See you tomorrow.

Dan

BTW: Anyone looking for me, I'll be the guy in the white helmet on a blue FZ1 sporting soft bags and COG stickers.

Have a great time!  Gotta say I’m a little jealous. My wife and I will be in the same area next week, but with a rental car. Still get to see some beautiful country we’ve never been to. Shooting for Yosemite, Sequoia, King’s Canyon and possibly Pinnacles NP on a ten day trip.

Safe travels and have a great time to the riders heading up today and tomorrow!

MichiGlenn said:
Have a great time!  Gotta say I’m a little jealous. My wife and I will be in the same area next week, but with a rental car. Still get to see some beautiful country we’ve never been to. Shooting for Yosemite, Sequoia, King’s Canyon and possibly Pinnacles NP on a ten day trip.
You will enjoy the area in a car too! Breathtaking scenery and roads!

Keith -- slow start today (flew back from business trip in Chicago last night), so will probably hit Mariposa around 3 p.m.

Great event Guy's. Well done. I was actually sore from wrestling the pig at those speeds along those roads. Awesome!

Thanks for the fellowship and turning me on to those roads.
The drive home to LA was gruesome but the memories of the previous two days kept a smile on my face.

Great ride and great to meet new friends! I took Hwy 26 just to get in a few more twisties. Thanks again to Dan and Keith.

I'm glad to hear you gentlemen had a great weekend. I felt super lucky getting the weather window we did.

When I put this out to COG, I was committed to riding it solo if nobody came. But even as amazing as these roads are, it wouldn't have been half as much fun without all of you joining in.

One more shout out of my own to Keith for not only sharing his expertise and planning, but for playing shepherd on all the rides. Nicely done my friend!

Thanks all -- and hope you have as great a time next month at Borrego.

SantaCruzRider said:
I'm glad to hear you gentlemen had a great weekend. I felt super lucky getting the weather window we did.

When I put this out to COG, I was committed to riding it solo if nobody came. But even as amazing as these roads are, it wouldn't have been half as much fun without all of you joining in.

One more shout out of my own to Keith for not only sharing his expertise and planning, but for playing shepherd on all the rides. Nicely done my friend!

Thanks all -- and hope you have as great a time next month at Borrego.
I know it may be unobtainable but get your happy A$$ down there! Won't be the same without you. You Guy's did a awesome J. O. B.

Sorry I haven’t been able to get my videos and pictures put together from this deal, I’ve been working long hours and my video software and iPad are not cooperating! I’ll get it done as soon as I can fella’s.

After careful consideration, I feel I MUST ISSUE A WARNING to all SW COG riders who did not attend this year's Sierra Sampler rally --- DO NOT READ the Winter Issue of The Concourier.

Spoiler alert: The issue should be in members' mailboxes in the next couple of weeks and COG members who didn't attend the ride should either toss it out, or at least avoid reading the pages recapping the Sierra ride!

Seriously, if you see what you missed, you're just going to feel so sad -- and it might ruin your holiday. So please, don't read it.

Also, be especially careful to avoid seeing any of the photos... really, they will make you question your priorities and your ability to make decisions around how to spend your free time.  :-\

So if you're a SW rider and you didn't ride the ride, it's probably best to just entirely avoid your mailbox until at least mid-January.

If you can't do that, please accept my personal apology for potentially ruining your holidays. Go ahead and read the article, shed your tears, kick yourself repeatedly... and watch this space for a date for a repeat ride in 2020 -- and a second chance to "make better choices!"  :beerchug:

SantaCruzRider said:
After careful consideration, I feel I MUST ISSUE A WARNING to all SW COG riders who did not attend this year's Sierra Sampler rally --- DO NOT READ the Winter Issue of The Concourier.

Spoiler alert: The issue should be in members' mailboxes in the next couple of weeks and COG members who didn't attend the ride should either toss it out, or at least avoid reading the pages recapping the Sierra ride!

Seriously, if you see what you missed, you're just going to feel so sad -- and it might ruin your holiday. So please, don't read it.

Also, be especially careful to avoid seeing any of the photos... really, they will make you question your priorities and your ability to make decisions around how to spend your free time.  :-\

So if you're a SW rider and you didn't ride the ride, it's probably best to just entirely avoid your mailbox until at least mid-January.

If you can't do that, please accept my personal apology for potentially ruining your holidays. Go ahead and read the article, shed your tears, kick yourself repeatedly... and watch this space for a date for a repeat ride in 2020 -- and a second chance to "make better choices!"  :beerchug:

😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

SantaCruzRider said:

I feel very bad that I did not get a chance to ride the passes with a great group of people and riders! I will still read your story Dan and check out the pictures because it will get me ready to go in 2020! Thank you for taking the time to write the story and post the pictures! It will just make more COG members envious of what great riding we have! Then they will come out and visit!  :) :motonoises: :great:

Great article in the Concourier. Great photos(since I am in most) but I was impressed mostly how you handle mentioning us. I'd love to do the same route again but in reverse order.
Maybe I'll see you all in Death Valley!

Thanks. Not to get sappy (and I'll deny if called on it), but half the enjoyment of this ride for me was all you gentlemen who joined, swapped lies, took turns passing on the double yellow and otherwise made it a party. The other half were the amazing roads -- throw in 10-20% for the drinks and pizza, plus 12% for the "I'm taking my pants off" announcement. -- somebody my math...  :rotflmao:

I like your idea of reversing the route. It's awfully tough to argue with any of those passes -- but would be nice to change it up a little.  :great:

Haven't seen my ugly mug or my bike in that many pics in a Concourier before.  Fortunately it didn't spoil the pics.  ;D

Thanks to all who threw that party!  It was good to ride all those roads I used to ride when I lived in Reno.  And great to meet some people I'd never met.

:beer chug: