• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SISF question - dual ECU reflashes?

Texas Concours 14

My bike has enjoyed the Guhl reflash (good for low end), the SISF Evolution reflash (great improvement over Guhl), and most recently the Mountain Runner Premium reflash. Just spent a week in New Mexico and Colorado putting the MRP to the test and it was great, as attested to by many posts. And on top of improved performance, I also got at least 5 more miles per gallon. The only time I wished for The Hammer reflash was when passing cars on two-way highways. Which prompts the following question to SISF, reflasher extraordinaire - assuming it is possible, have you considered providing an option to install both the MRP and The Hammer in the same ECU, with one of them replacing the now useless ECO mode? I would buy that dual reflash in a flash.

I agree that it would be great to have 2 options  :great:, but...

I think it was talked about in another discussion and SISF said it was not possible.
  He'll be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong.  :-[

Ride safe, Ted

Over 50% throttle, The mountain Runner Premium and the Hammer are the same flashes. They are the most powerful flashes, torque and HP wise, available anywhere for a stock muffler or slip on equipped bike. If you want more roll on torque at 100% throttle, your next step is a zx14. Steve

OK, allow me to reframe the question. Is it possible to put both flashes on the ECU, and if so, if this a service you would consider offering?

my take on this, from your statement about "passing cars on a 2 lane highway", is you already have the best you can get.. just start using that left foot... on the shifter... and you will find it is way more feasible.

http://forum.cog-online.org/shoodaben-engineering/the-hammer-77778/

I am guilty of "pressing" the MRP I have now, to "roll on voraciously" in a gear or 2 lower than I ever would have done pre-flash.. just because it works.. but when you go back, and click down a gear or 2 ... well... I can't say anything other than hang on... it ain't needing anything more than it has NOW...

I actually considered the "hammer", and talked in depth with Bubba about it, he knows me, and knows the roads and riding style I love, and convinced me the "hammer" was really not the perfect "flash for me", and he was right... MRP with some 93+ octane, and a gear shift, does everything and "MORE" for the bike, in my eyes. But then I've never ever been a "below 4k rpm"  "loach the bike" rider.. when I ride, I love to make the engine do it's thing.. rpm's are a passion... and now I can use them fully.. I think... still have not done a "redline pull" to see the top end, but it has surpassed my limits of "pucker" repeatedly.... which makes me smile.

So when I come up behind a car, on a 2 lane road, doing the 50-55 mph speed limit, and flip to the left lane, and downshift and peg this bike... within 5 seconds I'm at/over 3 times the speed limit. What reason would I have to say it needs a dual flash????

YMMV.....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :beerchug:

Oh, and on my '08 non-eco mode bike.. spending a "short ride" cranking it up... and seeing this..
I can't say I need a Hammer...  gas gauge and readouts don't lie...

20190821_155406-jpg.1849732

I need to do a ride with the gauges set at "actual mpg use" during acceleration, for a mini ride...now that I have my MRP;  flip your screen and see how much fuel/milage you get under repeated hard starts and "corner to corner" drag racing riding...  Like "MAX accell" first thru third, and hard braking to stop from the "120+mph you easily hit each time" .. I used to do that.. and when I was reading things like 4 to 8 mpg... I stopped looking at that screen..
>:D >:D >:D :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

edit to add;
That gauge setting was from a fill up, where I zero'd the gauges.. at 6 p.m.,  and rode a route I used to ride back in my younger years, rural, not flat, up/down/twisty, and some nice long straights.. where I earned my first 130mph "performance award"... followed by a few others, all on my old KZ1k. I'm sure that judge I went before at that time, is now long dead.  So I let 'r rip on those same roads today.. I shot that pic when the bike was cold, after my ride... 2 hours from initial start. (I didn't ride for 2 hours... get it?)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

"I am guilty of "pressing" the MRP I have now, to "roll on voraciously" in a gear or 2 lower than I ever would have done pre-flash.. just because it works.. but when you go back, and click down a gear or 2 ... well... I can't say anything other than hang on... it ain't needing anything more than it has NOW..." 

Well said MoB! Just after acquiring the MRP flash I was skeptical about it value (hey, I admit it), but after a conversation I had with Steve (and his frankness) I learned I've been way too easy on the bike. With the MRP flash and more aggressive use of the RPM range, I'm SO enjoying the bike nowadays more than ever!!!

I probably should not have mentioned passing cars in the initial post; this is not an issue in the least. I downshift and put rpm's at around 5000 before passing and the bike accelerates very quickly. And I knew that the two flashes are the same above 50% WOT. Just  thought it would be interesting to have access to both flashes to feel the differences at below 50% WOT. I have no complaints about the responsiveness of the MRP flash. It is great. I did not notice much difference in gas mileage after the Evolution flash, but definitely do with MRP flash.

having owned the thing since 7/7/07 I cannot say much more than OMG..

it is truly thrilling to see this all, and I am so appreciating all Steve has done, to make this available to everyone.. saddens me to see the people that have never had "THIS FLASH", down trod it, and say anything else is better.. without spending time with it, and really twisting that right hand...

I have to say I know you love it.. Makes this bike "lethal" in terms of "just HOW MUCH do you REALLY need...?"  :)) :)) :))

now I gotta get my trailer plate renewed, and take my wife on a camping road trip and see what comes of it.. she has not been on the bike since I got flashed.. I'm sure she will be punching me in the Kidneys and screaming, hair on fire, when she see's what it does.. even pulling a trailer...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great:

I read this whole thread I did not see an answer.
Is it possible especially with the newer bikes that have the button for ECO mode to have two programs ?
I would think this would open up a bunch of new possibilities.

Jeff Kerkow said:
I read this whole thread I did not see an answer.
Is it possible especially with the newer bikes that have the button for ECO mode to have two programs ?
I would think this would open up a bunch of new possibilities.

Actually I have answered this many times, maybe just not here. Is is feasable? probably. will I do it? No. Reason being that I haven't experimented with all the tables to be sure they would apply on the ECO side, and the volume of work to do so isn't going to be productive over the long haul. And frankly, while the Hammer is sharper to throttle at the lower throttle setting the Hammer is no more powerful than MRPremium in whole. It's not anywhere the difference people think. That low rpm throttle sharpness is more of a mind trick than anything... the bike is slightly sharper to throttle so it makes you think it's stronger. Tricking the senses, as it were. Steve

Thanks for the answer, your choice. I was thinking more of an enhanced ECO mode as another choice. As a rider who puts on lots of miles it seems at least once each trip I am running in ECO mode plus my own manual throttle control as my next fuel stop is way out past my typical range.

Jeff Kerkow said:
Thanks for the answer, your choice. I was thinking more of an enhanced ECO mode as another choice. As a rider who puts on lots of miles it seems at least once each trip I am running in ECO mode plus my own manual throttle control as my next fuel stop is way out past my typical range.

There's only so much that can be done in squeezing the fuel. I'm sure you've seen many posts about how good the fuel economy is with my flashes. That's not by accident.

Here's some info for perspective. Most tuners tune to the stoich ratio of gasoline for economy. that would be 14.7:1. I tune to the stoich value of 10%  ethanol gas, which is 14.2:1 . Most folks would think that's rich and it hurts economy. Not so. In fact it's the right shoichiometry for the gas we most encounter, and that's one of the reasons that my flashes get the economy that they do.  Steve