• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Slight bar wobble at slow speeds in left hand turn only.

gpd323

I think I noticed this when it was new in 13? Not really sure, but very early on. It does not matter what tire brand I have. I have 53K miles so been through a lot of tires. Tire pressure makes no difference. The wheel is straight and runs true. This occurs with a new/used/worn out tire and then when a new tire is mounted.

So here what happens. If I riding at 25 mph or less and going around a corner like a parking maneuver or just turning around I get a slight wobble at the bars, like a back and forth motion at the grips. This only is felt at slow speeds and turning left. It does not happen at all going in a right circle. I can replicate this over and over so the road surface does not make a difference. There is no play in the steering head. I have stock suspension and the forks have never been off the bike. Playing with the rebound settings also makes no difference. The bike has not been crashed or dropped in its entire life with me.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this of knows the answer?

Thanks!!!!!

Next time I ride I remember to check mine in a parking lot. 

In narrowing it down, only equipment thing you didn't mention was whether you have risers ... and their height. 

I have Murphs risers. Not sure how that would create this?

New set of RS2's going on soon. I double check the left cornering wobble when they are spanking new.

You cagy bastid, this better not be a ploy just to make u :))s all go out and try to replicate this and now you have planted the seed, see how many you have mind-messed with! LOL :))

As soon as it drops below triple digits I will check this out on my 2013 and report back to you, pretty new RSIII's and recently reworked forks by KFG.

Hi Greg.  I would first suspect tires but you mentioned this has happened with new or worn so that does not appear to be the case.  Is there any pulsing when using the front brakes....like a possible warped or contaminated rotor.  Seems unlikely that would cause it but not sure there is anything else that would create a rotating induced condition like you are experiencing. 

Maybe before you start the next tire change remove the brake calipers and give the wheel a spin to see if you can see any variation in the tire or rotor as it spins. 

Years ago, I had a front tire that had a bad belt and it was barely noticeable at parking lot speeds but was worse when turning.....tire balanced OK and when spun, it looked alright but with weight....the belt issue was detectable. 

My rambling was probably not much help but I hope you find the cause. 

Thats good info. Always appreciate suggestions. I have spun the wheel and observed the rim and tire, they both run true. I have real full floating Brake-Tech Axis SS rotors. Its not the rotors. Whenever I install a new tire I also check the wheel bearings. This wobble does not bother me, but was wondering if anyone else has this symptom?

gpd323 said:
Thats good info. Always appreciate suggestions. I have spun the wheel and observed the rim and tire, they both run true. I have real full floating Brake-Tech Axis SS rotors. Its not the rotors. Whenever I install a new tire I also check the wheel bearings. This wobble does not bother me, but was wondering if anyone else has this symptom?

How are the steering bearings? Have they been adjusted? Also check the rear end too, that can have an effect as well.

Head bearings are OK. As I said, I have noticed this since it was practically new. Tire wear is symmetrical.

gpd323 said:
Head bearings are OK. As I said, I have noticed this since it was practically new. Tire wear is symmetrical.

53K miles and you're just now asking?  You really are  just trying to get us to go out and try it on our own bikes.  :))

Just throwing out ideas here.  Could you have a brake pad sticking on one side, the piston not retracting the wait should?  Take the calipers off, pads out, extend the pistons till you see a clean surface.  Clean the pistons 360 deg around.  You should be able to push them back in with your thumb when done.  Hopefully the wobble is gone or reduced??  I would also check for any play in the rear swing arm.  The best part is, you can do all this for free.. :beerchug:

ghostrider990 said:
That many miles and Tires (and still there).....I vote Steering head bearing.

Seems logical, that has been the only constant since new. May not hurt to re grease & torque them, may have been a little loose from factory. Not that hard to do & it's free, plus it will need to be done at some point anyway.

OK thanks for the help. If they were loose, would you not feel a very slight movement at the bars/forks with all the weight off the front tire and pushing/pulling on the bars/forks and triple tree?

I have taken the bars through the entire range of motion and applying force in all directions, I get zero movement?

Interesting, my ZX14 had loose bolts that held the front assembly on. Thats was a common problem. I also know the 2013 ZX14 shipped with loose steering stem nuts. I'll take a wrench to the bolts on the forks and steering areas. Thanks Bud!

All bolts are tight. All front hardware is tight.

Also remember I have these rotors so no warping that would cause this issue. I also have a thermo temp gun to monitor brake rotor temps, nothing out of the ordinary. both front rotors are pretty even temp wise.

Stumped, but thats OK.

https://braketech.com/axis-cobra-stainless-rotors/

I had a slight wobble when slowing. Seemed to start at around 35 MPH. Didn't matter tire condition or pressure. I had the front wheel off and turned the wheel bearings by hand. They were smooth, no bumps as the bearing turned but where very stiff or hard to turn. New front wheel bearings from Murph's fixed that. No more wobble at low speeds. BTW.. Bike mileage is very similar to yours.

GPD
If you want to pursue this further, I think your next step is new wheel bearings.
Not much left
Nick
2014 C-14

I had the exact same problem, I took the wheel off & spun it on my balancer. Everything was balanced & spun true with no noticeable wobble or hop. I replaced the wheel bearings & put it on the bike and it still did it. I put a new tire on & still had the problem. I bought another front rim & problem solved. You may not see it but a rim can be out of true enough to give you a problem

I had the exact same problem, I took the wheel off & spun it on my balancer. Everything was balanced & spun true with no noticeable wobble or hop. I replaced the wheel bearings & put it on the bike and it still did it. I put a new tire on & still had the problem. I bought another front rim & problem solved. You may not see it but a rim can be out of true enough to give you a problem
Well I have hit some super hard potholes on FS25 going over Mt St Helens. I'll double check my front wheel. But.....this was happening in the very early low mirage years. One more trip this year and a new set of RS2's to be installed. I'll check to see if the wobble is still present.

I finally got a round to consciously trying this...no wobble. No odd feelings other than the asphalt seeing such low speed application of my tiring....so yeah, your bike is totaled.