• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Slight clunk (movement) in front end

kzz1king

I have the wheel off and pull on the bottom of the fork at axle I can feel a slight movement. If I pull at the bottom of the fork housing there is no movement. I suspected head bearings at first but the movement seems to be in the fork itself. Is this normal ?

Lock your steering head with the key. Grab one fork at the bottom and put your fingers on the junction of the inner and outer tubes. Rock the fork back and forth your fingers should feel any play. Then push and pull at the top of the lower fork. This is to try to tell if the play is the upper or lower bushing. If you have a fork brace that should be removed. Along with the fender. The bushings in the fork can wear, and with the fork extended they are closer together so the play at the bottom of the fork will be exaggerated compared to when they are compressed.

I am not sure what the service limits are, but if the wear gets bad enough it could lead to handling problems.

Lock your steering head with the key. Grab one fork at the bottom and put your fingers on the junction of the inner and outer tubes. Rock the fork back and forth your fingers should feel any play. Then push and pull at the top of the lower fork. This is to try to tell if the play is the upper or lower bushing. If you have a fork brace that should be removed. Along with the fender. The bushings in the fork can wear, and with the fork extended they are closer together so the play at the bottom of the fork will be exaggerated compared to when they are compressed.

I am not sure what the service limits are, but if the wear gets bad enough it could lead to handling problems.
Thanks. I will do that tomorrow. I did notice that compressing the fork a bit eliminates the play. The bike handles great.

The bushings in the fork can wear, and with the fork extended they are closer together so the play at the bottom of the fork will be exaggerated compared to when they are compressed.
This is normally a true statement,^^^ but the Concours only has one bearing at the bottom of the upper tube. The upper bearing normally attached to the top of the lower tube does not exist. (It would act like a retainer if it was there). Since the upper bearing is missing, it can cause a problem when you have the fork in hand and the cap removed from the damping rod. If you pick up the fork by the upper tube, the bottom tube will slip right out! Makes for an oily mess.

Also I've got 150k on my 08. The last I looked a couple years ago my bearing looked fine. I will guess that the wiggle you are seeing is probably normal.

Edit to add.
You can also make an oily mess if you don't pour the oil out BEFORE extending the lower leg out past the seals, where the transfer holes are located.

Last edited: