• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

So-Cal Roads....

troymba

If you haven’t done Angeles Crest Highway and surrounding areas in Southern California you are certainly missing out. I rode with some really good riders and friends there this weekend and can’t wait to go back. The entire area is nothing less than fantastic. Thanks for the fun Russ, Jay and Jeff !!

That was a fun day!! There are more of them in the future! Anytime that you can get out with friends and ride twisty or straight roads is great!!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Late part of June we plan to go stay in Crestline somewhere and ride back over to ACH. The mountains and views are nice around Crestline so that will make for two great rides in one. Saddle up!

When I lived in southern California(Ventura), one of my favorite rides was up over Pine Mountain on highway 33 to Maricopa. It is 84 miles, with the first 65 or so twisty and fun, then some wide open fast road. Used to make the 84 miles in an hour on my Z1-R. Watch for rocks!

Angels Crest I just happen across on my last tour.  Nice find for a Texas boy.  I found a lot of nice roads in 7530 miles but this was one of the top.  Just to many squids the day I was there.  Sunday I think.

smithr1 said:
Angels Crest I just happen across on my last tour.  Nice find for a Texas boy.  I found a lot of nice roads in 7530 miles but this was one of the top.  Just to many squids the day I was there.  Sunday I think.

Yep, this road attracts all kinds of riders and machines. Also, that comes with a wide range of riding and driving skill...

The best time to go is during the work week, between AM and PM rush hours, as it's increasingly an alternative to the freeway

Hi All, I used to ride Angeles Crest Hwy back in 1965 until 1970 on my Norton Atlas. Back then it was such a wonderful ride and started in Azusa on Route 39 and went all the way up to ACH then back down in Pasadena and home on Foothill Blvd.  Does the road still follow this old route ?  I'd like to someday come back to So Cal to ride this old road and relive some fond old memories.
  Thank you for the info.
  Brent

Highway 39 stops at Crystal Lake now...20-30 years ago there was an avalanche and they never cleared it...There has been some talk now that they are going to repair and it would again end at Angeles Crest Highway! You should come back because ACH and all the roads that run into it are still fantastic! One of my favorite rides is still going up Highway 39 to the Lake and then take it down to East Fork Road to Glendora Ridge Road and head to Mt.Baldy or take Glendora Mountain Road to Glendora both fantastic roads! See you when you come down!!  :)

:motonoises:    :motonoises:  :great:

Rusty, thank you for the reply and info. In the late 60's there would be slides in that same area but Cal Trans would clear it away and the road would, once again be open to Crystal Lake and ACH. I believe I have ridden all the all side roads you mentioned,  but it was so long ago I'm 100% positive.  I do have a picture of me and the Norton up at Mt Baldy taken in the 60's so I know I have ridden up there. 
My son used to ride with me on ACH, by sitting on the gas tank, but this time he will be riding his own bike.
I'm looking forward to this ride once again.
Rusty, I'll let you know if I can schedule this ride in the near future.
  Brent

That would be cool Brent! When you come down we will likely have a small group that will go too...Should be a lot of fun!

Let me know! Till then Ride safe!