• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

So, how do I get the front wheel in the air?

Rushfan Greg

No, not what you think...NO wheelies.  :motonoises:

I want to remove the front wheel and was wondering what some of you use/do the elevate the front end of the Connie? Pit stand, or other devises.

Thanks on advance,
Rf G

I use a low profile automotive jack under the header collection with a rag for protection. My topcase is always on and loaded with tools and the weight makes lifting the front end  a fingertip effort. If you do not have a topcase a tiedown hooked to the rear rack  and a 15 pound weight will do the job. If you use a hydraulic jack be sure to use a safety prop as hydraulic jacks can leak air over time. I wedge a block of wood under the jack arm. Or jack stands under the fork bottoms if the front wheel is off for a tire change.

I have hooks in the ceiling of my garage. Hold it up with a strap when on the centre stand. I can do both wheels at once.

lather said:
I use a low profile automotive jack under the header collection with a rag for protection.

Like lather I use a automotive scissor jack under the header, I've just never put a rag there. They are only a few dollars at a salvage yard & they're mechanical so no worrying about leak down.

I've left mine own the jack & centerstand with both wheels off for days with no worries or straps.

Boomer said:
Texas Concours14 said:
How do ya attach the rear paddock stand to the swing-arm? Any pics of her on the stands?
I have a front stand that is useful but lifts the bike high enough that the centre-stand is off the ground so not very stable like that.
Would like to add a rear paddock stand but can't figure out how to fit it. Bobbins?

Okay, good question... (insert Jeopardy theme, here)

How do ya attach the rear paddock stand to the swing-arm? Any pics of her on the stands?
I had the same question and took a good look at some internet photos to help figure it out. Here are photos of front and back wheel I found on internet (link is long forgotten). If you need better view of back wheel I can take some photos of my own (thought I had some but can't find them).

Attachments

• Venom front wheel.jpg
    Venom front wheel.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Venom rear wheel.jpg
    Venom rear wheel.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 266
I think a simple way is to just create a stacked layer of 2x4"s and ply wood under the Header.
I just have a family member push down on the rear rack with the Connie on the centerstand, pretty easy.
I've also taken the rear wheel off and then carefully done the above to get both tires changed out at once.
Looks kinda sketchy sitting in the air with no wheels but as long as you don't try and move it....
This is done on a level smooth concrete floor.
Ride safe in 2020
Nick 2014 C-14

Texas Concours14 said:
I had the same question and took a good look at some internet photos to help figure it out. Here are photos of front and back wheel I found on internet (link is long forgotten). If you need better view of back wheel I can take some photos of my own (thought I had some but can't find them).
Thanks Steven,
It never even occurred to me to use those attachments on the sloping bit of the swing-arm.  :great:
Will give it a try once I have the rear wheel back in.
I will still have to remove the hugger to get the rear wheel off but it should be easier with more lift than the centre-stand can give.
Also means I can do both wheels at the same time  :great: :)

I use a couple of pieces of plywood under each leg of the centerstand. First I lean it on one side insert the plywood then lean the other side and insert the plywood under the leg. What this does is raise the rear tire even higher but then I either tie the back down with a rope or put a heavy weight on the rack. This lifts the front tire high enough to remove. It's crazy but it works or me.

I use a couple of pieces of plywood under each leg of the centerstand. First I lean it on one side insert the plywood then lean the other side and insert the plywood under the leg. What this does is raise the rear tire even higher but then I either tie the back down with a rope or put a heavy weight on the rack. This lifts the front tire high enough to remove. It's crazy but it works or me.

I use a variation of this, but first I roll the front tire onto a 2x4, than slide another one under the center stand. Having front wheel on the board allows me to deploy the center stand as normal.

I typically use the jack under the header method (padded by a scrap piece of wood). One additional thing I've done (especially if I'm going to be shifting the bike back and forth to remove front and rear tires) is that I will sometimes tie the center stand in place so the bike could never pitch forward and come off the stand. Maybe it's not possible to have happen, but a piece of rope and knot puts my mind at ease.

I use a low profile automotive jack under the header collection with a rag for protection. My topcase is always on and loaded with tools and the weight makes lifting the front end a fingertip effort. If you do not have a topcase a tiedown hooked to the rear rack and a 15 pound weight will do the job. If you use a hydraulic jack be sure to use a safety prop as hydraulic jacks can leak air over time. I wedge a block of wood under the jack arm. Or jack stands under the fork bottoms if the front wheel is off for a tire change.

Forgive my question, but how can a hydraulic jack leak air?

To answer OP, personally I use a motorcycle jack under the frame, with the bike strapped directly to the jack with a ratchet strap. The above suggestions of a block of wood work for me to ensure it doesn't tilt forward when the front wheel is still on. As soon as I have the front wheel off, it naturally tilts to the rear without the weight.

Forgive my question, but how can a hydraulic jack leak air?

I'll venture a guess here that the helpful response was referencing hydraulic jacks that will sometimes slowly leak hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir, allowing the jack to drop and potentially set the bike onto the fork. I've seen mine do that when I thought it would be quick repair afternoon, something interrupted and I came back the next morning to find the bike balanced on the centerstand and nearly on the fork. Not the worst situation, but a reminder that hydraulic jacks may not have perfect seals.

I'll venture a guess here that the helpful response was referencing hydraulic jacks that will sometimes slowly leak hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir, allowing the jack to drop and potentially set the bike onto the fork. I've seen mine do that when I thought it would be quick repair afternoon, something interrupted and I came back the next morning to find the bike balanced on the centerstand and nearly on the fork. Not the worst situation, but a reminder that hydraulic jacks may not have perfect seals.
Apologies, that was not intended as a serious question. I simply read the original post and laughed. I did not mean any offense, I found genuine mirth in the wording.

We really need to have someone invent a sort of sarcasm font.