• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?

Sirius Scratch said:
After much reading here in the forum, I swapped my blistered, cupped, and otherwise hosed Metzler 880s for the bias ply Bridgestone BT45s front and back.  I've put 220 miles on them so far, a mix of in town riding and Interstate cruising.  Happy to report that the Bridgestones have plenty of road feel, lack the harshness of the Metzlers, and I experienced NO hunting in either of the riding situations, and besides the normal heavy truck canals on I-5 we have a plethora of heavy equipment surface anomalies on the local roads, enough to challenge any tire.  I am running factory recommended tire pressures front and rear.

Sirius

Not a very scientific observation, but I noticed that the Metzelers made a "shush-ing" sound when you turned the front wheel on the garage floor when backing the bike out.  Like dragging a heavy cardboard box on the floor.  The Bridgestones make a very raucous "squidgy" sound, like new tennis shoes on a wet floor.  I think this is testimony to the difference in compounds between the two brands.

Due to a change in business travel, I haven't covered a thousand miles yet on the BT45s but they still look brand new, and I spend a lot of miles on that rocky asphalt style macadam they love so much up here in the Pacific Northwest.  So far, so good.

Well going to finally do it and order up a set of Michelins a 120 70 18 road pilot 3 for the front and a 150 80 16 commander 2 for the rear.

I figure I will be ready for them by mid summer :)

Redbarron said:
Well going to finally do it and order up a set of Michelins a 120 70 18 road pilot 3 for the front and a 150 80 16 commander 2 for the rear.
I figure I will be ready for them by mid summer :)
And unfortunately $275 lighter.  :'(
I have the same set waiting to go on.
I got 4 BF Goodrich tars on a 98 Corolla at Sam's club for $250 INSTALLED, I hate MC tars!  :'(
I doubt this PR3 will beat the PR2 I'm taking off for mileage and if the Commander gets close to the mileage I got out of my last Pilot GT I'll be satisfied.

Has anyone used 110/80-18 (58V) Avon Roadrider AM26 Universal Motorcycle Tire? It's hard to find 120/70-18 and 150/80-16 in sets... I'm looking at running 150/80-16 (71V) Avon Roadrider AM26 Rear and 110/80-18 (58V) Avon Roadrider AM26 Universal.

Can you run 130/70-18 in front and a 160/80-16 in the rear????

in the 110/80 and 150/80 sizes the Avon Roadriders, Pirelli Sport Demons and Bridgestone BT45V's are a V Rated bias ply tires that are listed as a sport touring tire. They are NOT high mileage tires. They are Sport Touring tires, albeit bias ply ones. Generally people using this type tire are quite pleased with the handing and performance of the tire. There are a few around here using the Avon RoadRiders and they work well.

I prefer the BT45s. The OEM tires always felt skittish to me. When I had Pilot GTs (they seemed to be the most popular replacement when they were available) the bike tracked a lot better but was not nearly as maneuverable as with the original tires. The Bridgestones wear great, handle like the OEM tires but don't dance around nearly as much.

Posting before reading all the replies, taboo I know.  I got to page 7 and I'm tired.
I put new rubber on my 02 before last years rally. Shinko 005 front 890 rear, wing size.  The rear still has good rubber after 6.5k miles. I figure I will be putting on about 3k for this rally and I don't want to risk it.

What are some good wing size rears? I keep reading about the 890 being out of round and its to late in the game to chance that.
Could a person lower the front a tad and run a stock sized BT45?
Thanks in advance for any info or advice.
Chris...

Boy, I'm worn out.  Have read this whole thread.

MY rear tire is getting close.  Front looks new.  Problem front is a radial so want a radial for the real. 
No where in this thread can I find the size for wing tires we can use on the rear.

Deadeye said:

MY rear tire is getting close.  Front looks new.  Problem front is a radial so want a radial for the real. 
No where in this thread can I find the size for wing tires we can use on the rear.
Deadeye, readin' tar threads'll sure nuff wear ya out and usually tell ya not too much.  It's the nature of tire threads I reckon.

GL1500 "Wing Size" tars.
160/80-16 rear
130/70-18 front

EDIT TO ADD:
BTW, I hates wing size tars on a Connie.  Rides 'n' handles like a school bus.  :(

Other than the Shinko SE890 Journey Touring Radial Rear Tire a few are running, I don't think there is radial rear in Wing size. Most all the GL1500 tires are bias ply tires.

>:D >:D >:D

I need a ride.  I reckon a half dozen thousands of miles'll do about right.  Come on 7:00pm.  No wait, I still have to get my sissy bar on and load up.  Back in a bit.

OK, NOW I read this message.  Well, I texted ya earlier... does that count... even if it's a few days late?

I just replaced both of my tires on my 1986 C10 with Avon Storm 2 Ultra for the front & Avon Azaro for the rear.  Paid $265.76, from Chaparral Motorsports, free shipping.  Haven't had a chance to ride it much lately so I don't know how it handles in the curves.

I bought my 1988 Concours with new Bridgestone BT45s on it.  4,000 miles later the rear is shot - flat with no tread on the center 4 inches.  The front feels like a series of spoons if you run your hand along the edge.  This is the rear.

image_zps6d5594b7.jpg

I have kept the pressure about 3 psi higher than factory recommendations with a calibrated gauge.  I usually ride solo with very little weight in the bags.  Do I just ride too aggressively or what?  I read about some of you getting 6,000 - 10,000 miles out of these tires and I have no idea how that is possible.

I went with Pirelli Sport Demons as replacements.

RodWpg said:
Pirelli Sport Demons......well how do they feel?
They feel all warm and fuzzy.

Actually, the Perellis are a soft compound bias tire.  They require a bit of warm up to smooth out, but once you've gone a couple of miles they are quite nice tires.  Excellent adhesion and cornering grip due to the soft rubber.  They will pretty much do what the Avon Storm/Azaro Combo will do, they just aren't radials so the ride is ever so slightly harsher.  But really not much so.

They are not a long life tire and they have a dual, wavy, center tread pattern.  They are not bad at following tar snakes or rain grooves, but maybe not quite as neutral as some other tires.  WAY FAR superior in feeling and performance (IMHO) to the OE tires or most other fitting Dunlops.

These tires are ideal for the guy or gal who doesn't get to ride a lot, but wants a solid performing tire and excellent grip.  I put these on my wife's bike for those reasons.  A longer lasting tire on a little ridden bike has a tendency to get old, but because it still looks new is not replaced even though its better traction days are over.  This tire is sticky and good for 4000 miles of spirited riding.  3000 if you're a hooligan like... some folks I ride with.  And 5-7000 if you're driving Miss Daisy. No way to get 10k outta these. But they will give you good bite all the way down. I can drag parts with em and neither of us flinches.  That all said, I usually run Avons because they are a little better grip, a little longer life, and a little smoother ride.  They're also a little more moolah.

I replaced the rear BT45 with the Sport Demon and took it for a good, long ride. 

I didn't feel it.  It was really nice not to have the inconsistency of the worn out tire making the rear end wiggle at inopportune times.  Once I took off the old tire, I saw that the center section was so worn down that it was quite flexible and probably made the tire do funny things, especially under high stress.  This tire did exactly what it is supposed to and I didn't notice it.

I still haven't scrubbed in the tire, but I took some corners I know really well and was able to maintain excellent speeds with minimal effort.  I've been riding tough corners pretty hard with a well-worn tire so my skills shine on a good tire.

Soon some bad weather and a new front tire.

Hi, Reading this - So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10? I see some like a Bias ply tire.  I have had cars with Bias ply and they did not ride as smooth as the radial. Can I count on this to be true with motorcycle tires as well? From my experience in the car the bias ply tires seemed to get a thump on cold days that took a few miles to go away. Maybe a flat spot from sitting a couple days. It did go away after driving a bit. I have had my C-10 since march. It came with Dunlop 701/700 Front and back. I though it rides great. It needs tires now. Almost to the wear bars. Ride quality is as important to me as handling Also Milage as in MPG. Is there any difference between bias ply and radial?

Following this years National rally (Unfortunately didn't make) there was a great ride in Oregon - Ride The Ribbon - not far from the Rally with great roads. I would say 90% were chip seal. Those roads were - How to shorten a tires life. Well,  and trying to keep up..

Bias ply or Radial?

Best Regards,
Mark

Good luck with that.

Many here have found the radial front/bias rear combo
gives them the ideal mix of handling, ride quality,
performance, longevity and value we all want out of our tires.

Why ask for advice if your you're going to dismiss the
response so readily?

I've gone through seven sets of tires so far, trying every
type and size available. None have performed as well as
the radial/ bias combo in the stock sizes. Just MHO. YMMV.

I dismissed it because the tire guys at all the big stores start jumping up and down saying you can't mix radial and bias ply. With my car I have had them tell me they would not mount the tire. I have mounted tires myself before even car tires. So there are ways around the shop. Must have gotten 8000 miles from the Dunlop 700. It was used when I got it and I added 6000. It would be nice to get more but that seems Okay. I have had it skid prematurely in my opinion and felt it could have grabbed better breaking. I don't ride super hard so no need for the stickyest tire. Mostly though I thought you were putting me on in regards to mixing the tires. (didn't think you were serious)

"the tire guys at all the big stores start jumping up and down saying you can't mix radial and bias ply."

See, there's your problem right thar, I've never seen anybody jumpin up N down when I be spoonin on da hoops of my choice.
::)

Ride&time said:
the tire guys at all the big stores start jumping up and down saying you can't mix radial and bias ply

Yeah, but there is more than one motorcycle manufacturer that actually sell them this way right off the show room floor. Its easy to find on the web HD's that come this way. And I have heard BMW sold them this way, but I have never been able to find that model bike. I believe it was one of the Dakar type bikes.

It could be argued that those bikes were designed this way. And the Connie is not. Colin and I were once reading a magazine article where the tire expert was describing all the changes motorcycle MFG's made to frame, steering geometry and suspension  components to bring radials to motorcycles. And I look at modern sport bikes and things like the C14 and I see these things. I would probably never put a bias ply on a C14 for example. Just too many radial choices among other things.  But on a C10 with its 1986 suspension, frame design, steering geometries, etc. AND factoring in the complete lack of choice we have its just not that bad of a choice. And many of them bias ply tires, albeit V-rated versus Z-rated radials are performing quite well.

I try not to use never or always...
Depends on the bike and frame as far as using radials on a bike not designed for it.
My V65 Sabre not only works fine with radials but the advantage in cornering and braking was noticeble. The V65 frame is stiff enough where the V45 is reported not to be.

danodemotoman said:
I try not to use never or always...
Depends on the bike and frame as far as using radials on a bike not designed for it.
My V65 Sabre not only works fine with radials but the advantage in cornering and braking was noticeble. The V65 frame is stiff enough where the V45 is reported not to be.

I think on a bike designed for bias ply, using radials is a bike by bike deal. From things I have read, its not just frame stiffness. Its also steering geometries and suspension changes.

I think the real question here is taking a bike that originally came with radials, and going backwards and installing bias ply tires. For modern sport bikes and sport touring machines with cartridge forks and all the high end stuff, I would for sure would use nothing but radials. But take a look and many of the brand new and recent 2013 bikes that all use lower end dampening rod forks, etc. that are designed to be entry level or low cost. They still come with bias ply tires. That's part of the low cost. -- The take away for me, IMO of course, is that a C10 with its dampening rod forks, 1986 frame and steering geometry design is not that big a step backwards on a bias ply tires. And the bias ply tires have been brought up to date to some extent, with dual compounds etc. These are not 1986 bias ply tires.

Of course there are multiple issues involving tire choice.  Pointing to the frame was one.  Comparitive,  the Sabre has suspension very similar to the C10.
Most often we have little chance of modifying those structural designs so left with 'testing' tires by the 'seat of the pants'.
Having used a couple bias tires in the (several years) past have returned to radials as the best sport touring tire(s) for me.

And then, there are the original equipment Dunlop K700 & K701. Cost effective, as far as I'm concerned. And they are radials, which this bike was designed for.

Televisions, cell phones, digital cameras, computers,
autos, motorcycles.......I could go on but my point is
things have changed a lot in the last thirty years.
Motorcycle tires are no exception.
I fail to see the logic in sticking with dated technology.

For the record, I went through two sets of the Dunlops.
I wasn't impressed.

"I fail to see the logic in sticking with dated technology."

The logic being that the currently available selection of radials for the stock rear rim are few in number.

Still the idea that the C10 is "designed" for radials, just because it came with radials is a stretch in some peoples opinion given its 30 year old design. Todays bias plies are probably as good or better than 30 year old radials.

Rev Ryder said:
Deadeye said:

Deadeye, readin' tar threads'll sure nuff wear ya out and usually tell ya not too much.  It's the nature of tire threads I reckon.

GL1500 "Wing Size" tars.
160/80-16 rear
130/70-18 front

EDIT TO ADD:
BTW, I hates wing size tars on a Connie.  Rides 'n' handles like a school bus.  :(

I agree. I like a 110 front tire myself. It soaks up bumps better in my opinion. I think a 100 front is as narrow as I wanna go. I have a 100 now and it's fine. I think its much better than a 130. Much smoother ride and when made by shinko it grips much better in the rain than a Metzeler me880, but then again, anything grips better than an 880...

Has anyone tried a 140 rear yet? I'd love to hear their thoughts on it.

When I bought my '02 in 2009, it had Dunlops. The tires were a bit worn but plenty of tread, so I kept riding them. The headshake on deceleration was kind of scary. If you took your hands off the bars and let it coast, the head would start shaking really badly. (I know, I know... its better to have your hands on the bars!)

I thought it was a problem with the bike. Finally I got a nail in the back tire and decided to go with new Avons front and back. What a difference!! No more headshake. Super smooth. I don't go to the cornering limits and I've had no traction problems in dry or wet.

Regarding the shorter tread life of the Avons, I'd rather buy an extra set of tires over a five year span if they work this well. My vote is with the Avons!

I just changed from worn out OEM style Dunlops to Avon Storm/Azaro yesterday, only have about 40 miles on them and can already say that the improvement in handling is substantial. Much, much smoother entering corners, and feels very stable in corners. I can't wait for a little warmer weather and a good ride on some twisty roads!

DLD

Update to the post above;

I've had them on a few weeks now, and I can say that these tires are AWESOME! When you consider the size and weight of the Connie, and the handling with these tires, it's just amazing. Confidence inspiring!

DLD

So i have read through a lot of the posts, can i get things simplified in one post? i see different sizes, mentions of the book being off stating a 3 1/2" inch front rim and its really 3" .

I think it would help me with my simple mind to see somthing along the lines of

Option 1 this size, this brand = best
Option 2 this size, this brand = Good, not as nice when wet
Option 3 This size but no matching front and rear available, ... all round good.

or somthing like that so i can compare based on someones opinion what choices are available.

My guy who i order tires with found the Dunlop 700/701 but not the BT045, only a BT020. will that work?
Appreciate any input given

OK Dan, I'll venture in...
In stock Connie sizes:
Avons... Azaro rear Storm (whichever suits you) front.  Excellent handling wet or dry.  Best all around tire for the Concours 1000.  Wears a bit faster than some others.

Pirelli Sport Demons.  A non-radial choice here that is cheaper than most options.  Excellent dry traction, good wet.  Soft compound with good tread design.  A little more likely to follow rain grooves than the Avon Azaro/Storm combo.  A good all round tire particularly for folks who don't ride more than 5000 miles per year. (too long of lasting tires will put you riding on old rubber which is not ever good)

I put any and every other stock sized option well below these two.  I value traction enough to avoid any tires which offer (or I suspect may offer) less traction than these.  While I have tried a few others, most of those are no longer in production.  The Bridgestone is probably a good tire that I have experience with, but not on COnnie.  THe Shinkos I cannot speak to as I haven't run them either.  The Marathon 880's are evil IMHO (yeah, experience on these).  Michelin has no offering... yet.  Dunlops are not very good in my experience on COnnie, but I have only tried MOST of them.  I did like the RoadSmart tires on my 17" rims.  Best offering from Dunlop ever IMHO but not in stock sizing.  Too bad.

Hope that helps.  A topic always bound to create more heat than light.  ;)

My last posted update on the Azaro/Storm combo was January 24th. Here it is the end of April, and having three more months of riding on them, I am still thrilled with the performance, both wet and dry. I'm constantly finding myself leaning into a turn until something scrapes, or my toes are dragging, and the tires just feel solid. When these are gone they will definitely be replaced with the same. They may not be the mileage kings, but I like the twisties, and these tires are perfect for that!

Have been running a PR3 front (110/80-18) and Azaro AV46 rear for 2 months 5,000 miles and love this combo.
Can't wait for the Storm 3D X-M to come out in 150/80-ZR16 next month!!
May even try a matched pair of 3D X-Ms when mine wear out.
If I do that will be the first time I have had a matched pair of tyres on a C10 since the early Noughties.
I think they were Michelin Macadam 90Xs.

so i see some are 110/80/18 and some are 120/70/18, thats part of what confuses me i guess ,.... whats the big change? one fit better then the other?

What Steve said.
The confusion comes because the early bikes came from Ma Kaw with the Dunlop 110/80 front. Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me where I am wrong.  Then, in 1994, when there were a few changes/updates made, the bikes came equipped with a "slightly" wider redesigned rim and a Dunlop 120/70 front... but that tire appears to have not REALLY quite been a 120/70 tire though it WAS wider than the 110/80.  Replacing it with a more typical 120/70 in any other manufacturer or even model of tire from Dunlop was actually putting on a tire not specified for a rim that narrow.  The 110/80 is still the better choice IMHO for handling and fitment on any year of Concours (any year before that other thing came out that made us start calling them C-10s at least).  ;D

One hour and 45 minutes later and i've finally reached the end of the thread and i think i've got a handle on it... :truce:
Looks like i'll be buying another Dunlop K700 for the rear and it will last as long as my existing front Dunlop (I bought the set together last Summer, ergo the 2/1 ratio). AND in the mean time, I'll be shopping for a 17" rear wheel... If i lived in Kansas or Florida the Metzler 880s would be 'good enough', but everywhere else they're rubbish....Radials are preferred but bias are decent and not dangerous. Avon is the front runner and going 110/80 is the proper fit for the front from here on out. Thanks Gentlemen. Did i pass?!

Nope,, ya missed somthing...
Read it again.
And then go read the other tide discussion...    ;)

(Hint) Avon is coming out with a new Compound/Radial Tire/(for the C-10) in the next few months..

Ride safe, Ted

Mr. Nick said:
One hour and 45 minutes later and i've finally reached the end of the thread and i think i've got a handle on it... :truce:
Looks like i'll be buying another Dunlop K700 for the rear and it will last as long as my existing front Dunlop (I bought the set together last Summer, ergo the 2/1 ratio). AND in the mean time, I'll be shopping for a 17" rear wheel... If i lived in Kansas or Florida the Metzler 880s would be 'good enough', but everywhere else they're rubbish....Radials are preferred but bias are decent and not dangerous. Avon is the front runner and going 110/80 is the proper fit for the front from here on out. Thanks Gentlemen. Did i pass?!

Nick, don't do it Bro, the Dunlop 700's are crap. Have you looked at the Avon AM-26? They are bias but are better than the 700's any day of the week. I am currently running 110/80 front and 150/80 rear and they are great.

880's are crap too even in Florida. The problem is they will never heat up even on hard cornering or with  heavy loads on a C10. In wet weather they are like concrete and act like snot on grease.
880's on certain  other bikes work great but IMHO they are dangerous  on a C10. I put 500 miles on one and then  tossed in the garbage

Daytona_Mike said:
880's are crap too even in Florida. The problem is they will never heat up even on hard cornering or with  heavy loads on a C10. In wet weather they are like concrete and act like snot on grease.
880's on certain  other bikes work great but IMHO they are dangerous  on a C10. I put 500 miles on one and then  tossed in the garbage

What Daytona Mike said ^^^^^

Hey Mike, you beat me to it by about 8 minutes.

[/quote]

Nick, don't do it Bro, the Dunlop 700's are crap. Have you looked at the Avon AM-26? They are bias but are better than the 700's any day of the week. I am currently running 110/80 front and 150/80 rear and they are great.
[/quote]

I will definitely be running the avons in the future, but i only need a rear tire at this moment so i thoughti should stick with the set of matching Dunlops until i need a new complete set. I dont think it should take me too long. 8K miles or so, probably by independence day :)

I admit that the Dunlop K700 series isn't a great tire but I've had to "resort" to them on many occasions due to both Dunlop and other manufacturers dropping lines/sizes of tires over the years. At least they have been fairly available and inexpensive, for radials. I have them on both of my C-10s now but have an Avon awaiting me at the dealer. Of the 250+K miles on my two C-10s, over half have been on the K700s and I'm forever having fellow riders tell me that I need to back off a little.  LOL  Plus, I've never had any "failures" with them that I can recollect. Can't say that about some of the others I've used. So, Avon will have to prove to me that they're worth the extra money. I'm more than willing to try though.

I couldn't wait for the 3D XM. I had previously loved the Avon combo (Storm 2 Ultra + Azaro) but wanted to try something new considering mileage and prices.

I've been on a Shinko 777 and a Michelin PR3 for a few weeks and have loved it so far. Handling is nice, have scraped a bit more off my center stand and my pegs, and there is almost NO chicken strip left, so I am cautioning myself to hold off a little. They "dance" a little more at high speed and in dirty air than the Avons did, but I try to avoid both of those situations as much as possible.

So far, the Avon is the winning combo, but this hasn't been too bad for the price. I got >7K miles on the Avons, so hoping for something more from this set.

Front: Michelin PR3 110/80 18
Rear: Shinko 777 150/80 16

:great:

I just mounted a set of Bridgestone BT 45 Battleax tires on my 87.  Super easy to mount and set beads.

Went on a 97 mile interstate and highway ride.  Took hands off bars one time and bike seemed to track straight which surprised me because it's always drifted to the right.  Maybe it was the road or wind, time will tell.

I did get the feeling they wandered a little.  I've never run non-radials before on the Concours.  Maybe it's just because they are new and very responsive and bike is very responsive compared to my Yamaha Raider, which has been my primary ride the last few years.  Maybe the wind and buffeting accentuated it.  I'm still pleased with the tires though.  They even have a date code of 2014 and came from Dennis Kirk.

Has anyone ran the new Michelin Commander II for a rear? Also, the BT-45 seems to be a popular read but what about a BT-020 for the front? Sorry if I missed any information, this thread is long!

"Has anyone ran the new Michelin Commander II for a rear?"

I'm running one, it works well enough for me it's wearing well too.

I'm running the Commander on my 99. About 8K miles so far and still looks like new. My last tire was worn out by this amount of miles.
It works pretty good. Maybe a little twitchy at the extreme.

Well, in the interest of saving money AND learning how to remove and install the rear tire i've decided to re-use the tires on the parts bike i got last fall. They are the Avon pairing that are well reviewed and have lots of life left on them. The best part is now I'm proficient in tire work which will save me HUNDREDS during the life of the bike. I will post my review here soon(ish). Although.... the shinko reviews and price point are enticing.

Update on my Avon Azaro/Storm combo.

We just took a vacation trip, 2142 miles, over numerous mountain passes as high as 9623 ft,  hours spent at 100-110 mph through Death Valley at 119 degrees (282 ft below sea level),  the Grand Canyon, Zion national Park, across Nevada on the Lincoln Highway. The tires had about 3500 miles on them when we left. The rear is completely worn out now, the front probably has one or two thousand miles left on it.
  Overall these tires are incredibly good. Not mileage kings, but they take anything you throw at them in stride. We rode in really hot conditions and rain on this trip, and lots of high speed. I never once felt like the tires were a problem.

I will be ordering a new rear tire today, and it will be another Avon.

DLD

Hey, dld, how many "hours" @ 100-110mph did it take you to navigate Death Valley? Didn't know it was that big. LOL  I just put an Avon on the front of my '06 with the rear to follow later this month. First Avons for me in over 275K miles. We'll see.

Caleb,

I'm running the BT-20 on the front and BT-45 on the rear. It's a good combination for me, but keep in mind I don't ride that hard. I  use my bike mostly for daily commuting and some touring on the weekends, so wet/rough road performance is the most important thing to me and these tires deliver in that sense. They also deliver relatively long life. I know some prefer radials, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Bridgestones.

I've got a few hundred miles on my BT45s and I wouldn't bet that I can tell the difference between them and radials (which I've always run up till now). 

I'm in Nebraska and haven't ridden with them on mtn type roads so can't attest to how they may feel when doing curvy roads.

Well hear to report that the front 120 70 18 Avon Storm Ultra st is a close second so far to the Michelin PR3.  With the PR3 edging it out in regards to wet traction and flexability, but the PR3 is loud.  The Avon handles better turns in a little better and not as loud.

The Michelin Commander ll 150 80 16 rear is so far the scariest  >:D rear I have ever had on any bike in almost 30 years.
It is slippery as all hell but so far wear seems to be barely noticeable.

I like the Shinko 777 but it dry rots and wears out to soon.  Thinking trying out the BT45 for fall and winter riding.

Tires?  so many different experiences.

My rear BT45 is almost done at 5000km (3000 mi).
BT45 has worked well, just not lasting. Driving to work and few day trips only.

I am looking at Shinko 777 for rear and mounted BT45 remaining on the front.

What do you think?

I bought a Shinko 777 rear and got it mounted up the other day. Runs smooth and straight and makes the whole ride feel better, smoother. The old Venom had worn a bit cupped and had sidewall weathering, so it was time. Don't know how the Shinko will last, but its on the C10 that I plan to sell later this year. I'll get some miles on it and decide if I want to mount one on the '05 that I plan to keep around. So far it's fine.
I'm sure it's not the BEST tire available (as per the thread title), but for the money I'm giving it a try. This way, I can decide or eliminate a couple choices for the next time around.

Open air said:
What do you think?

COGger Rock said on Saturday he likes his Shinko. How about posting up your  thoughts if you do that combo?If I do the Shinko, I'll have the same combo. I'm within a month or so of replacing my BT-045 rear. It's my second and okay, but for a supposedly dual compound, not giving the miles I thought I'd get. Maybe 5,500 when it's done.
Thanks!

ron203 said:
Open air said:
What do you think?

COGger Rock said on Saturday he likes his Shinko. How about posting up your  thoughts if you do that combo?If I do the Shinko, I'll have the same combo. I'm within a month or so of replacing my BT-045 rear. It's my second and okay, but for a supposedly dual compound, not giving the miles I thought I'd get. Maybe 5,500 when it's done.
Thanks!

My second PR3 front just arrived. My BT45 rear has a ways yet. But with all the positive feedback on the 777, better mileage and the nice price point looks like I might have to try the PR3 / 777 combo in about 4-5 months from now.

At the national I had to put an ME 888 (rear) on my Connie for Lars.. (Traveler from Sweden that borrowed my 03)
I didn't get to ride the bike with it on, but he was impressed.

Need a front now. Thinking I will install the mating tire. Is anyone using these?
Thoughts?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
At the national I had to put an ME 888 (rear) on my Connie for Lars.. (Traveler from Sweden that borrowed my 03)
I didn't get to ride the bike with it on, but he was impressed.

Need a front now. Thinking I will install the mating tire. Is anyone using these?
Thoughts?

Ride safe, Ted

I am on my third ME880 put on last year.  I must have missed the new 888 but I did notice the tire is now made in Brazil.  Seems to be a little softer and slightly smaller physically from the previous tires.  I think the bad rep for the 880 comes from the wing sized tires.  As a multi-state interstate bomber, I like the security of knowing there won't be any tread separation.  This is a sturdy tire for running a continuous 85mph in 100 degree weather loaded down.  I still like to run a spirited pace in the twisties so I run the Z6 up front.  I've never had any issues with this combination.         

I know many said changing from what came stock Dunlops 700 and 701 was a big improvement. I just went with them again. When I got my bike used I knew no different and thought this is just a touring bike. The new ones made a world of difference. I have no Idea how old the tires were that I removed or how good the previous owner was with keeping good air presure in them. They were half worn and I put about 7500 to 8000 on them. Probably average conditions and average riding (in my opinion) Those tires that came with my bike were not good, but the same tires new were much better. I do like sticking to radials, just me. I think looking at the tires for abnormal wear and potential future prroblems is important. Maybe more so than the brand. When I checcked the balance of the old tires it was bad. I mounted and balanced them myself this time much better. If you use a shop make sure its a good one.

Mark,  2006 concours

After putting a few hundred on my first pair of Avons, I'm liking them but time ans more miles will tell. They were a little more money than the Dunlops but MAY be worth it. Again, time will tell.

I am looking to replace the ancient Dunlop D205's that came on the C10 I got this summer and am trying to make a decision on what to get. There seems by what I am reading to be a general aversion to Dunlop tires on these bikes, although probably due to my ignorance and nothing to compare them to they have seemed fine to me. They actually aren't in too bad of shape but the date code is scary. I live in Western Washington so I need something that does well in the wet, most of my riding is my long commute on the freeway. If I ride exclusively my commuting is 1300 miles a month alone, so I would like to not replace tires every few months. It seems that probably the new Avon Storm 3d xm or a combo with shinko 777 rear may be the best choices with the shinko maybe having the advatage in tread life. Any other suggestions, words of wisdom, ect. Why the dislike of the Dunlops?

Are there any number-cruncher/statisticians/liars here that can handle compiling a survey for tires?

Would seem a survey of a few metrics (granted some would be rather subjective) like dry and wet traction (on a scale), noise, responsiveness/turn-in/, resistance to road flaws, size used, etc, would produce a significant volume of data points from this group.

Properly constructed, even in an Excel spreadsheet it would be very informative.

Any math/research geeks out there? I'd be glad to put legwork into this (I have a perspective and analytical skills, but don't know how to properly construct a study).

Maybe we could start with the old tire spreadsheet as a base of tires.

In going back and re-reading it looks like some people are getting good tread life out of the Bridgestone BT45's 10,000+ miles and some are getting far less on Bridgestone's are they different model tires or just from more aggressive use. Can a few that have the BT45's post the milage your getting on them and give an idea of how aggressively you ride. They seem like they might be another option for me, I had dismissed them because I saw several reports of them only lasting 5000ish miles. 

I can give a fair comparison between the BT-45 and 777.
My C-10 is my commuter and I ran them back to back.
Same bike, same roads, same commute with as few
variables thrown in as reasonably possible.
( I own other bikes for 2-up, long distance, etc. )
The BT-45 was completely done at 5500 miles.
The 777 will turn 10,000 miles next week and is
still not at the wear bars. I will likely finish out
the season with it.
I have been quite pleased and will definitely get another.
No surprises or disappointments with this one.

Just finished my second BT-45 rear and while I like them okay, both tires wore out between 6500 and 6800 miles. Might try the Shinko next summer/fall.

With two C-10s to ride, I have now been using the Avons on my '98 long enough that when I got back on my '06, which has the Dunlop K series tires, I must admit that the Avons feel better. Now, if I could just get the price down to the Dunlop level. LOL  Plus, we'll have to see about mileage.

Hi all!!!! Just did a 2106 km run and put avon storm frt and azaro rear much much better then my bt 45 and 20 ! Paid 424.00$ for the pair installed and balanced tax in and shopped around that was the best price I found in the province ! I ride 2 up 95% of the time and gotta say what a difference and got to try them on the rain so I'm a avon guy for now ;) sorry for grammar English is my 3 rd language

Zenfab said:
Hi all!!!! Just did a 2106 km run and put avon storm frt and azaro rear much much better then my bt 45 and 20 ! Paid 424.00$ for the pair installed and balanced tax in and shopped around that was the best price I found in the province ! I ride 2 up 95% of the time and gotta say what a difference and got to try them on the rain so I'm a avon guy for now ;) sorry for grammar English is my 3 rd language
I've had those tires on my C-10 for 3 years now(2 pairs), the front tire has 8K miles and is still fairly good, the rear tire let me down in Mexico with less than a 1,000 miles on it (the tire was out of round and I was unable to get the tire to Avon for inspection or warranty adjustments). Other than the premature failure the tires wear much slower than anything else I've tried and the tires handles very well.

Ted, put a set of ME 888's just before the Vermont National rally..heavy rain to and from and variety of weather since...tires are wearing well... still going strong and  yes I have put on the miles.

Jo
central fl '01 connie

Mine is more FWIW observation than anything. But I know I'll be tire shopping eventually, so I'll throw this out there.

Bought my '86 Connie last fall. It has Avon Venoms, front and rear. They had about 1K on them when I bought the bike. They looked basically brand new. I've since put another 6K on them this season and they still look new to me. No cupping in the front, or squaring off in the rear.

As for my observations/evaluation, I really don't have anything to compare them to. This is my first bike in 35 years, and my only set of tires on the Connie to date. I really have nothing to complain about. They seem to ride just fine for normal commuting (50 miles/day) and the occasional camping trip. 99.99% of my riding is 1-up, and camping trips put another 70 lbs on the seat behind me. I'm 59, and this being my first bike in ages, am not very aggressive.....tho I do love a spirited (but conservative) run. I rode for about an hour this summer in heavy rain at highway speeds and never felt like I was in danger of losing traction.

I have nothing to complain about with these tires. I guess I won't know if I have anything to rave about until I try a different set.

I see from many comments that the Avon Venoms don't seem to last very long. I haven't measured tread depth after 7K yet, but they still look to have a lot of life left. Unless they go to hell in a bucket, I expect I'll get another season out of them.

LessPaul said:
I see from many comments that the Avon Venoms don't seem to last very long.

Nope. Those comments are about the Avon radials, like the Azaro/Storm models. The Venom models are bias & last FAR longer. I use a rear Venom X 160/80-16 (for the GL1500 Wang)...and me likey!

Just replaced the original Dunlops on my 2003 (7000 miles) with a 110 PR3 front and 150 Shinko 777 rear.  The rear Dunlop was to the wear bars, the front probably had a couple thousand left in it.  Both were hard as a rock but had no age cracks.  The rear developed a crack when I broke the bead on it.  It feels like I added power steering to the bike.  Much smoother turn in with the new tires.  Have not really pushed the bike with the new tires yet. 

Just took off an azarro rear radial, around 13000 miles, it was spent, probably should have replaced it at 10,000 miles, guess I was used to wing size bias Metzlers. Replaced it with the new style/compound Storm ultraX 3-D, only put 100 miles on it in the last week, will know more next year, supposed to be the best thing since sliced toast. $144.00 to my front door.

Zorlac said:
Strawboss said:
supposed to be the best thing since sliced toast.
I tried gluing sliced toast to the rear rim once but wasn't all that impressed.
Texas Toast unsliced is the ticket... may not be available in Joysie though.  :beerchug:

EDIT TO ADD:
You MUST use real buttah... no fake stuff.

Rev Ryder said:
Texas Toast unsliced is the ticket... may not be available in Joysie though.  :beerchug:
EDIT TO ADD:
You MUST use real buttah... no fake stuff.
Hmmm, what's wrong with this picture? :eek:
2f06qgn.png